Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Skip My Posts posted:

He's gonna make a bunch of money fighting nobodies.

the thing is he can't fight nobodies forever cause quickly there's going to be pressure from everybody for Punk to fight a higher profile dude. Fans are going to go apeshit the first time he wins a UFC fight, his management is going to want more money, and UFC will obviously want as much money as they can get. He might get killed against Diaz or Machida or Bisping and so on, but he would make soooo much more money from that than fighting whatever bums they get.

I think Punk gets a max of 3 fights until they cash-in on a name, and they might as well go as big as they can without it being for the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Debuts in the spring against the returning GSP.

:stare:

You gotta be making GBS threads me

I guess next year everybody in UFC's office is getting a lambo

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lloyd Boner posted:

It's a joke

yeah I see that now. But at the same time if they actually did that for his first fight it would be a way for everybody to make the most money the quickest and painless way possible. GSP vs Punk would do some of UFC's best PPV numbers in years.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

cams posted:

The level to which people think Punk has no idea how to fight another human being is pretty funny.

it isn't like giving Shaq a fight, but even a lowly ranked UFC fighter is way more conditioned for an MMA match than Punk at this point. It's gonna be a handpicked opponent from nowhere.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

the UFC always, always, always puts a big/popular name on the televised undercard, because it induces people to tune in and then buy the ppv.

while I agree, CM Punk easily could have built guaranteed PPV fights in his contract if he wanted them. Gilbert and Eddie got them and while they had leverage over UFC, Punk had to have some of his own in negotiations.

I don't think they sign Punk unless they have a specific plan on how to handle him and went over it with him. If a free TV prelim fight is part of that then it's because they plan on doing something really big with Punk later on.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

david carmichael posted:

cm punk will probably look really great for a guy making his mma debut, he'll just look intensely bad for a guy fighting on a ufc card.

I don't know if it's been said but Jason Mayhem Miller did fight in UFC recently and it was the weirdest display of mixed martial arts I had ever seen. I really don't think Punk can do worse than that and likely will look better.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I know very little of pro wrestling but from what I've heard Vince McMahon can be a bit of an rear end while Dana & Lorenzo generally do give special attention to the stars. Punk would have to gently caress up really badly, like failing his drug test after suddenly dropping out of a main event PPV, to be put on any sort of shitlist with those two.

If Punk were half as famous or already had some sort of unfortunate MMA career prior to joining UFC it could go differently, but basically he's a 0-0 really really famous guy who they get to develop as a pet project. They'll let him live in their mansions if he asked.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I thought I was just joking when I said his main credentials were friends with A Gracie but lmbo

To be fair that worked for Kevin Casey getting into TUF.

The way I look at it is UFC knows that CM Punk has almost no training but they're going to use that to market Punk to fans who don't give a poo poo about pro wrestling. A lot of fans of the sport are either fighters themselves, amateurs, or have some history with a martial art here and there. Like half of the posters in these threads train at some gym or at least wrestled in high school or whatever. But then there's that other half that doesn't do poo poo but play video games and go to work & still fantasizes about being a UFC fighter. Punk gets to live that dream, where the best camps in the world are literally begging him to come train there, and people get to live vicariously through him because of his celebrity status.

It's insanity and isn't sport but I'm gonna watch it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

CM Punk should fight Reagan Penn. Win/win for UFC in that one. Then all they have to do is switch him for BJ after the fight and everybody will be chearing BJ Penn is Back!!

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC dug up some dude from a UFC Gym. I'm talking about a guy who would be a featherweight if he was in shape, but is instead 190 pounds and middle aged with no combat sports background. They'll offer him a free lifetime membership or whatever and pay him 5/5.

the thing is UFC has to be smart with the other guy the get to fight CM Punk because let's say he wins because MMA goes like that sometimes, now all of a sudden they have a bum who has a huge win but has to fight a real UFC fighter unless they sign some other 0-0 guy, which would require another 0-0 guy if he loses that, and so on and so on until the madness ends.

So that's why I'm thinking they're going to try to find whatever bum they can that has some sort of affiliation to an actual UFC fighter, so just incase Punk loses they have some way to keep that guy going. Like grab whatever Machida brother is the worst at the sport so in case he wins UFC can still do something with him for a little while and save the embarrassment.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

triplexpac posted:

Or maybe they'll just shrug their shoulders, throw the bum with 1 win in with some other schlub and move onto their next quick fix freakshow fight to pop a buyrate.

yeah but that's the point, that next schlub couldn't be a real fighter either or the guy who just beat Punk would be demolished in his sted. Even if you throw him in against the worst UFC fighter at 185 which looks to be Guilherme Vasconcelos, he's 3-2 in pro fights, 3-0 in amateur, and has been training jiu jitsu and kickboxing for 12 years. A guy who has just been taking classes at a UFC gym for a few months would be hosed and his death would make UFC's experiment with Punk look worse.

It works out cleanly for UFC if they sign a terrible fighter and Punk beats him so they can release him immediately, but if he wins that gets tricky.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

His wear and tear makes me less concerned for his actual performance in the cage then it does his ability to make it through a training camp.

One of the only smart things I've heard brendan Schaub say was he personally told CM Punk that he should have done a whole training camp in private and see how his body feels, then decide if he wants to fight in UFC.

The fact that he chose to do the big announcement and sign right away makes me think either he just wants the money or he truly believes he's ready, which is insane.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I thought Punk hated this song?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

you know usually when MMA fans ask questions to the fighters they are they dumbest poo poo and so far these are 2/2 on okay fan questions for Punk so what I'm saying is pro wrestling fans are better

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

see the first MMA fan gets up and he asks about Fedor gently caress these people

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

When Punk meets Askren on Monday it would be cool if Ben just took him down immediately and refused to let him up, and then explain this is what MMA is all about.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Hey, all.

Remember when it was hard to imagine Punk even winning a fight against a UFC gym member?

I don't see how that will be possible.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Things that won't happen:

CM Punk becoming a UFC broadcaster

Things that will happen:

CM Punk becoming UFC president

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

oldpainless posted:

Has ufc paid punk any money or does he have to actually do something first?

has to do something first. but when he does do that something he will make a stupid amount of money

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I think it's cool that CM Punk already has a potential opponent lined up. Cause either CM Punk has to fight that Gall guy sometime this year, or he delays his debut even more and UFC has to sign another 0-0 guy to the promotion.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The 12-10 guy probably has some decent skills despite being a bad fighter. tons of fighters have poor looking records, doesn't mean that they can't beat the poo poo out of a striped white belt.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

LobsterMobster posted:

cm punk vs mark hunt

I don't think it's fair to Mark Hunt to include all of his pre-UFC fights at 11-10-1, where he had a bit of a downward slope. I instead only look at his overall UFC record, which is 6-4-1. Much improved.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

Why is this happening in the ufc? What was Dana thinking. Is this how he envisioned it?

if CM Punk does lead to a bump in PPV sales, even a small one, then it would have been worth it for UFC.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

He wanted UFC 200 in July (to which Dana correctly :lol:'d) but UFC is pushing him to fight at UFC 199 in June. So the answer is this summer.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

maybe punk also recognizes that he isn't a fighter yet and putting his dukes up would look kind of silly until he's actually done something

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Mickey Gall will wreck him. Punk has to know it too, and despite what he's said he's not gonna want to get embarrassed in front of a crowd like that cause he's a huge egotist but not an idiot.

I understand CM Punk already has a lot of money from WWE but he would make a shitload of cash for his single UFC fight. Even if he gets stopped in 30 seconds which is probably what would happen, that's a million dollars for his troubles.

Like it's already going to be embarrassing and hurtful to his ego if he never fights in UFC, might as well do it once and collect a massive paycheck.

The only thing I would believe is if he does continue to get injured while training, meaning his body just seriously can not handle fighting, then he shouldn't do it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

I am not even sure why he did it, surely he got owned by a black belt at BJJ once and came to the conclusion that MMA would be much harder than pajama pants wrestling.

as someone who just had this revelation a few days ago I concur.

Although CM Punk was courted by several of the top gyms in the country to come train and he knew he was going to be given special, individualized treatment at any of those gyms 5 days a week. You can't really blame CM Punk for hyping himself up when AKA and American Top Team and so on were reaching out trying to get him to join their teams.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

triplexpac posted:

I really want CM Punk to be a secret fighting expert and become the greatest of all time

even if he possessed the skills, he'd still probably need a better camp/coach than the remnants of Duke Roufus.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Intruder posted:

Where's the one where Wanderlei is drilled and just starts blindly throwing uppercuts while out on his feet and gets the KO

Or maybe that was someone else

you mean when Chris Leben knocked him out from the clinch?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

not the one you're thinking of either but eating big uppercuts against the fence and legs turning to jello makes me remember

it needs to be said again watch all of these other uppercuts then watch the CM Punk one. very nice

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

25% odds is pretty good when mickey gall's most notable win is over a boxing journalist or whatever

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Sage Northcutt would outclass CM Punk so much it would be astounding. Like if you didn't know anything else about the sport you would think Sage Northcutt is the greatest fighter on Earth after he demolished Punk, but instead he's only marginally better than Cody Fisther.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I don't think it's hyperbolic to say Sage Northcutt is twice as fast as CM Punk. It would be like Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin played out again except when Forrest said it was like trying to beat up his father it would this time be the extremely Christian teenage son beating the poo poo out of his slow confused dad

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Joe Lauzon and his brother Dan beat the poo poo out of each other at a family BBQ under the unified rules of mma when they were teenagers iirc, so UFC isn't too far off from a children's game for wannabe tough babies

there also is that video i'm thinking of where Ben Rothwell fought a fat child with down syndrome (not matt mitrione)

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

there isn't enough of Gall out there to know how good he is, but the basics are all promising (24 years old, 2 quick submission wins, brown belt from a legitimate academy, etc.). However the one thing that gives Punk a shot is because Gall is so young, inexperienced, and unknown he might do something stupid in the fight as well.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That was pretty ordinary sparring, yeah. The things Punk did incorrectly Duke immediately tried to correct, but that looked fine for what it is.

However Punk seems to be lazy when it comes to fighting for positions/scrambles. That's like... not good at all.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

A cross counter is when fighter A throws a strike of any type and fighter B party's it and hits him over the head with a giant wooden cross, popular up until the UFC pussified the sport with the unified rules

lol

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Roy Jones Jr. esque in his striking, Joe

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Unless Punk is just saving himself for the fight I don't think Gall's gonna have to force his way into any positions. At all. Every footage I've seen of Punk on the ground he immediately gives up or rests the second his back hits the floor and just sorta lets the other guy mount him or take his back or whatever. I recognize his actions because I do the exact same things 3x a week now and my coach always yells at me or makes fun of me for it. I'm lazy because I'm just a fat lazy goon, Punk however has a fight in front of millions of people coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Punk could say this is the toughest opponent of my career, I'm terrified, the only thing that excites me more than women & dinosaurs is the thrill of violence in the octagon, I believe chris weidman is going to beat anderson silva, I don't think lifting weights in beneficial to mixed martial arts, When you talk about stuff that people are doing for me, its called passive income. When you reach a point for your business, you need people, you need a team to work for you to make the money roll in.

he could say all of those things and be a huge PPV star, beloved by his country of Canada, and a role model for all future children who wish to take up MMA.

• Locked thread