Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

The Cast:
1. Anne Andrews - The Chosen, thatbastardken
2. River - The Fae, walruscat
3. Maria Ricca - The Queen, Ferrosol
4. Matthew Oritz - The Serpentine, The Deleter
5. Zoe Haven - The Angel, mistaya
6. Jamie Chang - The Cuckoo, TurninTrix
7. Linda Mills - The Wyrm, Gazetteer

The String Sheet: Please also keep track of strings in your character sheet

Rumors:
- mass grave in hill, former mine, haunted by miners
- residents of the commune are a cult
- local gangs are extra bad, deal right outside school
- killer in the park, killed two kids in the lake
- kid missing in mcdonald's, has a 'secret' menu.
- animals have gone missing across town, latest being a mastiff

Locations:
- Salvation High (You go here. School colors Green and Yellow, mascot Garter Snake)
- The Old Plant (shut down for a few years, site of explosion and mysterious flame thing. good makeout spot)
- Diner (owned by Mia Jackson, Anne works there part time)
- Railway (frequent spot of runners. Line is still active, but never stops)
- The Echo (dive bar in bad part of town, doesn't card)
- The Commune (commune located on an old far at the edge of town, possibly a cult)
- The Library (giant building from the better days of the town, rarely used)
- Army Surplus Store (guns, knives, you name it. Easy access for kids)
- The Park (has a lake, potential location of a killer)
- Drive in Theater (shows double features, old films. popular date spot for teens)
- McDonald's (seedy, may have a secret menu and missing kids)
- Morgan's House of Teas (British tea shop, great variety, may sell stranger goods)

NPCs
Students
- Matt Collins (Anne's old best friend, blames her father for the explosion, got into a fight with Anne)
- Rob Smith (River's foster brother, senior, on swim team and never in trouble)
- Jennifer (River's foster sister, sophomore, hipster, does homework and doesn't get into trouble)
- "Slim" Michael O'Reilly (Maria's gang, proud Irish heritage, good at sneaking)
- "Fat Jimmy" James Johnson (Maria's gang, big, clumsy, accidentally hurts people, puppydogs Maria)
- Amy Johnson (Maria's gang, James' twin, smart, popular, actually friends with Maria)
- August (tall thin and pale, new age druidy type, likes myths, smiled at Matthew once!)
- Tammy Slaughter (shy, good at school bad at life, likes Brad. Linda helped her out)
- Brad (douchey hipster type. Possibly fated to that life by name)
- Chris Hatcher (narced on by Linda for 'stealing' one of her tea sets. Expelled, possibly in jail?)
- Melody Sanders (popular, pretty, smart, athletic, has it all, immune to Linda's charms?)
- Maggie Chang (Jamie's older twin sister. Got a double helping of the good things in life, head of cheer team)
- Alisson (good for gossip)
- Rico (rear end in a top hat, bully. Abusive father, rarely goes home. Bullied Jamie until threatened with narcing)
- Aileen (nerdy girl, nervous tick)
- Mike (former foster brother of River, stole money and broke both legs)
- Nina (Jamie's best friend, saw through his disguise, paranoid of being tricked)
- Cody (threw a big party, senior)
- Natalie (creeped on by Mark, gave Zoe her phone dangle for help)
- Mark (head nerd, flipped out when Matthew 'cheated' to win their game, creeped/spread rumors about Natalie, got narced by someone (Zoe)) Creeper
- Andy Thompson (former Duke of the school, narced and sent to military school by Maria)

Teachers/Staff
- Ms. Salvador (Young, enthusiastic, likes alternative methods)
- Mr. Hollingsworth (Bio/Chem teacher, young, nice, looks alone and sad. Runs big school events)
- Miss Angela Dunlop (Librarian, a witch? wears horrible pink cardigan)
- Ms. Grey (School Councilor, talks British, has a PHD and is way too good for the job)
- Mr. Hill (Custodian, Mr. Andrews only friend left, cool guy, used to be in the marines)

Family
- Mr. Andrews (Anne's father, former workers rights advocate, injured in explosion, dead inside)
- Ms. Andrews (Anne's mother, left town, invites Anne to live with her once in awhile)
- Mrs. Jayne Smith (River's foster mother, perfect housewife)
- Mr. John Smith (River's foster father, businessman, travels a lot)
- Rob Smith (River's foster brother, senior, on swim team and never in trouble)
- Jennifer (River's foster sister, sophomore, hipster, does homework and doesn't get into trouble)
- "Little Tony" Antony Ricca (Maria's older brother, wants to go to college and get a good job)
- "Big Tony" Antony Ricca (Maria's father, big man in the Chicago mob, had to leave fast, wants his son to - - follow his footsteps and have the perfect daughter)
- Bella Ricca (Maria's mother, didn't transition well, on the road to alcoholism)
- Hugo Ortiz (Matthew's Grandfather, head of the family. Mega-rich, has plans for Matthew, wants him to do - well)
- Charles Ortiz (Matthew's father, goes on about glory days, rich, works at bank)
- Aunt Izzie (Matthew's aunt, brings gifts when she visits)
- Aunt Josie (Zoe's aunt, has a dog)
- Daniel Haven (Zoe's father, works overtime, drinks at home, Very Disappointed)
- Mrs. Haven (died of medical condition, probably cancer)
- Mr. Chang (Jamie's father)
- Mrs. Chang (Jamie's mother)
- Grandpa Chang (Jamie's grandfather)
- Grandma Chang (Jamie's grandmother)
- Uncle Chang (Jamie's uncle, lives elsewhere, visits on holidays)
- Aunt Chang (Jamie's aunt, lives in an apartment in Salvation)
- Maggie Chang (Jamie's older twin sister. Got a double helping of the good things in life, head of cheer team)
- Susie Chang (Jamie's younger sister)
- ??? Chang (Jamie's younger sister)
- Ms. Mills (Linda's mother, Lawyer, embarrassingly happily married)
- Mr. Mills (Linda's father, Accountant, embarrassingly happily married)
- Gary Mills (Linda's younger brother, ten)

Others
- Mia Jackson (runs a diner Anne does part time work at, witnessed a monster attack)
- Theodore (works at the library, 50, works out. Has a bunch of prison tattoos)
- Mrs. Groverstein (mother of "the terrible tots")
- The Visitor (From Heaven, possibly the one in charge of the Zoe Haven/Remiel case)
- George Stacks (businessman and loan shark, owns large part of low income real estate, ties to org crime?)
- Mr. Morgan (British, owns Morgan's House of Teas, possibly deals other substances)
- Denny (family friend of the Changs, works in marketing, friendlier around Maggie)
- Mr. Thompson (Andy "The Duke" Thompson's father, retired military, sent son to army school after narced)

Homes
- The Changs (Large, middle class home has seen better days, in a nice part of town, houses seven)
- The Andrews (Slightly run down two story house in a could be worse part of town)
- The Smiths (Nice house big enough for five, two cars)
- The Havens (Trailer on small plot. Nice, but second hand)
- The Oritzs (Large house in affluent neighborhood)
- The Riccas (Little house in the suburbs)
- The Mills (Comfortable two story house with typical upper-middle class amenities)

GodFish fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ms. Salvador is easily the youngest teacher in the school, having just finished her teaching degree and arrived at Salvation High this year. Unendingly enthusiastic, she's just young enough to remember that none of her students are and so devotes a deal of time to alternative methods of education. The attempts that don't end in disaster, her looks and her lax attitude towards some of the rules, such as those against eating in class, have made her reasonably popular.

Today, she hurries into the classroom only a few minutes before the bell, wrapped in a thick puffer jacket and cradling a steaming cup of Starbucks coffee in her hands. The temperature has been dropping slowly but steadily over the last month, and while today's forecast suggests it might reach 50 degrees, it hasn't broken 36 yet this morning.

The classroom itself is located on the second floor (of two), though the layout of the school puts it only half a floor above ground, neither of which have thawed yet. The windows themselves are still coated in frost as the single space heater struggles to heat the room while the main heaters undergo repairs.

Most of the class is already here -at least the classrooms get a space heater- and a few of the more diligent students are getting out their binders. Today is a 'FREE STUDY PERIOD" according to the message on the whiteboard, to help with the most important matter on every students mind, the midterms next week. Sorry, did I say midterms? Well they are just around the corner, but what every student is worrying about is the homecoming dance coming up next friday, and more pressingly, the Halloween party tonight.

Jamie
Who were you dressed up as last night, and what uncomfortable secret did you learn that you can't put out of your head?

Did you even get an invite to the party? What are you planning on going as, or rather, who?

Matthew
You're running late today, your dad stopped before you left this morning, and he seemed usually urgent. What did he say he needed you to do, and it had to be today?

As you make your way through the classroom towards your seat, everyone around you is talking about the party tonight. Have you thought about going at all? You'd be able to show up even if you didn't get an invite.

Linda
Maggie asked you to arrange something for her for the party, and you're running out of time. What about it is causing you so much trouble?

She isn't in yet though and with no one else around to talk to the girl behind you, August -the one usually talking to that Oritz kid about dreams and new age stuff- is trying to get you to do a tea-reading with her. She shows you her own cup, some processed trash from Starbucks from the look of it.

Zoe
Cody is hosting the party, again. Do you even plan on going after what happened the last time you went to one of his parties?

On top of that, Natalie keeps shooting you pleading looks across the room when she thinks no one is looking. What help did she ask you for before class, and why are you hesitant?

Anne
Where were you last night when you ran into those monsters, and why did you have to let one get away?

You just heard this morning about the location of the party, where is it going to be held, and why does that make you so worried?

Maria
Do you plan on going to the party with someone, or are you going to go stag?

A party is one thing, but it'd be unthinkable for someone in your position to go to a dance without an appropriate partner. Do you have anyone in mind yet? And who did Michael ask you for help getting as his partner?

River
When you take your seat, you can't help but notice Nikkie Murphy isn't here yet, and she's always early. What went down at Drama Club yesterday that makes you think she won't be showing up at all today, and why isn't it your fault?

As for the party, do you have anyone in mind you'd like to go with? How do you feel about costumes anyway, aren't they just another way of lying?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

GodFish posted:

Where were you last night when you ran into those monsters, and why did you have to let one get away?

You just heard this morning about the location of the party, where is it going to be held, and why does that make you so worried?

quote:

Anne Andrews
Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

Anne idly traces shapes into the melting frost with her finger and stares out of the window. Going over the events of last night made her feel slightly sick all over again. Walking home from a study session at the town library she'd cut through the abandoned public housing at Carnegie Place, and had stumbled on what looked two men mugging a woman in an alley. Her second sight had kicked in and shown her they were dead men, and she watched horrified as one of them bit into the woman. It had felt like a dream as she walked up, grabbed a length of broken wood, and and used it to shatter the skull of the other one. As he collapsed she screamed something at the biter who threw the woman at her and ran away. The woman was bleeding profusely from a wound in her neck and Anne had struggled to remember any of the first aid lessons Dad made her take what seemed like a million years ago. She'd used the dead mans clothing as makeshift bandages and applied pressure, did her best to get the woman in the recovery position, and used the other woman's phone to call 911. The victim was still alive when Anne heard the sirens and ran as well, not wanting to be caught up in the mess. The blood had made a mess of her jacket, jeans, gloves and shoes, she'd sat in the shower until the water went cold scrubbing at her hands and face.

The dead man had seen her face.

To make matters just slightly worse, that idiot Cody has apparently decided Carnegie would be the best place to have a party tonight. The abandoned houses are mostly intact, there's a scrubby 'park' in the middle of the cul-de-sac to put a bonfire up and some of the streetlights still work, in other circumstances it could make for a pretty cool spot to party. No nosy parents, no neighbors to complain...and no buses. lovely cell reception. No nearby police. No one to hear if, say, a crazy dead guy wants to start chewing up teens like it's Camp Crystal Lake out there.

Sighing internally, Anne realized she was going to have to go to the party.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Hot +1, Cold +2, Volatile -1, Dark -1

"Sorry... s'cuse me! Whoop, sorry."

Thank god. I get to class and nobody noticed me being late. Praise the lord for Ms. Salvador. Any other teacher and I'd be dead for being this late. And they'd have told me to take off his coat. Nuts to that - the school blazers are useless against the cold, and the Ortiz family never liked the cold.

Speaking of which, Dad had stopped me just as he was about to walk out of the door, shoved a list in my hand, and told me to go get this stuff, TODAY. I told him I'd get them when I'd finished at school today Turns out that a few distant relatives are coming over tomorrow - a great aunt, some cousins I've never heard of, that kind of thing. And most of the items are fine but weird. Vegan stuff, that kind of thing. I can just go to the mart later and pick them up. But one item on there is impossible. It's some brand of tea I've never heard of, one that Great Aunt Melisssa drinks like water, and I'm reasonably sure I am not going to find it on a shelf in a store in Salvation. At least, not any I know of. That has to be deliberate, right? Like the time he had me go get a knife. It was a test. If I do this, I'm in the good books for a bit, maybe get some cash thrown my way. There;s a game coming up I've been meaning to pre-order...

Other people's dads don't test their kids.

Oh, come on. It's not that hard. I can do it. There is, however, only one person I can talk to about the impossible tea. Linda Mills. And Linda Mills is scary as gently caress. Right now, she's currently being accosted by August about tea leaves.That's not going to go well - Linda's a tea snob, through and through. She's neurotic about the stuff, and Starbucks is basically Satan to her. August probably won't be offended by anything Linda had to say, because she's super spaced out all the time, but Mills probably won't appreciate the nerd train riding up to her door. Guh.

The Halloween party? Well, Dad's probably keep me in to study for the midterms. And in the past I've been told, in a very definite manner, not to go to Carnegie. It was not the kind of place an Ortiz should go. But it sounds like everyone was going, and I don't. Maybe I can sneak out? I haven't done that in forever, and I still don't know if Dad knows. I'm not the sneakiest guy in the world. Is it worth it? Maybe I could just ask. Maybe getting all that stuff will mean dad will let me go to the party. Is it costumes? I'll have to ask. Maybe Anne was going... Oh Christ, stop that. Creepasaurus Rex, coming through.

Well, poo poo. I'm at my desk now, and I've got time to kill. This drawing of a giant robot punching Godzilla in the face is not going to complete itself. I'll ask Linda in a bit, once she's through with August.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 7, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca
Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

Maria had been in school early in case anyone needed anything. So far though the main thing everyone seemed to want was hot coffee, Even her. The Starbucks down the road was doing a roaring trade even if they'd screwed up her cappuccino again, lousy barista had been more interested in flirting with the guys than doing her job. Really this place was a dump, In Chicago there'd been half a dozen decent coffee shops near her school, here they called themselves lucky to have a Starbucks. Still she was stuck here so she might as well make the best of it.

She and the boys had coordinated their outfits for the party tonight. They'd gone for an Addams family theme with Maria going as Morticia, Michael as Gomez, and poor sweet Jimmy as Lurch. Amy hadn't said what she was going as and it was going to be a surprise. So far none of the local boys seemed particularly interesting to her but the school year was still young, so Maria was without a proper date for the evenings party. Still it was more fun that way as she could play the field. Hell she was still teasing all the boys who'd been asking for a date to the homecoming she would have to make a decision on that.

A couple of them looked promising but there was only two or three guys that Maria was interested in getting to know better. River (Theater nerds usually weren't her thing but for those wide eyes and pale skin she could make an exception.), Mike (I remember someone telling me a few years back he broke both his legs, but he took to exercise after that and drat he's buff.) and if worst came to worst she could always go with Brad, who'd been sniffing around her from day one (he wasn't bad looking she supposed but hipsters are so last year. Move with the times man.)

Michael still carries a torch for what's her name. Had a twin in the same class, Maggie that's it. She's a cheerleader and probably way out of his league, but apparently she has a thing for bad boys. Seems to have a steady boyfriend at the moment but I promised Mike I'd do what I could to set him up with her. I owe him big time, so the least I can do is dig up some dirt on her boyfriend and clear the field give him a fighting chance and all.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 7, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1

GodFish posted:

River
When you take your seat, you can't help but notice Nikkie Murphy isn't here yet, and she's always early. What went down at Drama Club yesterday that makes you think she won't be showing up at all today, and why isn't it your fault?
As for the party, do you have anyone in mind you'd like to go with? How do you feel about costumes anyway, aren't they just another way of lying?

River took his seat in the center of the room and pulled his jacket’s collar tight around his neck. His Goodwill jean jacket looked cute on him but it was meant for today’s high, not its low. Mrs. Smith had promised him to take him clothes shopping soon but she hadn't been able to find the time yet with all the time she spends keeping up the home and ferrying around her kids between their extracurricular activities.

Looking around the room he noticed Nikkie wasn’t at her desk yet and felt a twinge of guilt. He thought he knew why she wasn’t in class this morning. It had been an awkward situation in Drama Club last night. They were practicing their lines for Romeo and Juliet and it just wasn’t working. When a frustrated Ms. McKay asked what was wrong, River told the truth: Nikkie just wasn’t lead material. She didn’t have the charisma to own the stage. Nikkie looked devastated when no one defended her. Obviously, everyone else could see it too; they just weren’t willing to tell the truth. It was better for her that she knows the truth and she’ll figure that out in time. Hopefully Ms. McKay would put Melody in the lead where she belonged.

River pushed that bit of guilt aside and started drawing in his notebook. It was the costume he was planning for tonight’s party. Most people didn’t think much about their costume. They just put on whatever they though would look cool or get them the most attention. Without regard for what their costume said about them. His costumes were always a statement about who he really was. This year he was going as Peter Pan. He’d tried to get the Drama Club to put in the play last year, but Ms. McKay said that was for elementary school. She’d probably never read the real play. This would be the next best thing.

He’d have to figure out who he was going to ask out to the party. He was planning on asking Melody out but it would look weird after last night. He was tempted to ask Anne out. She always looked so intense and he wanted to know what that was all about. Or maybe he’d ask Maria out. She’s hot and rich and it would be fun to see how he could stir up her gang. And Maggie was cute and he’d always been fascinated by twins. She'd just broke up with Rob though. How would Rob react? Or Jamie?

River leans over towards Maggie and whispers, "Hey, I heard what happened last night. Are you still going to the party?"

walruscat fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 7, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

quote:

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: 0/0

Zoe played with the strings on her purple hoodie as Matthew didn't-sneak-at-all into class late. She waved, since he sat next to her and they bummed notes off each other sometimes. (Her doodles were more of the kittens and flowers variety.)

She turned back to her desk and flipped the page on her make up math homework. Almost caught up with Algebra II. Almost. But she wasn't thinking about how a2+b2=c2, she was thinking about the imminent Halloween party. Natalie had gotten her an invite so she didn't have to party crash this time. Not for free of course, she'd promised to come over and help Natalie get into her costume after school. Apparently it was a big surprise, and she needed someone who wasn't in her circle to help her put it on. It made Zoe feel a little used. She was also worried that Natalie would give her that sort-of-pity look that rich kids always used when they were trying not to look down on poor kids when she saw what Zoe was going to wear as her costume. But maybe Natalie was better than that. Zoe sure hoped so.

The REAL problem was if she told her Dad who was running the party he would NEVER let her go. Not after what happened last time. So she HADN'T told him about it yet. Lying was definitely negative Karma points, (and she wasn't very good at lying to Dad anyway,) so she didn't want to do that. But she couldn't just go missing on him either. She stuck a pen in her mouth and gnawed on it a little. No one would miss her if she didn't go to the party, maybe she should just skip it. It wasn't like she'd had a lot of fun last time... But... Well...

She tore off a scrap of paper and scribbled on it, then folded it into a flippy frog and shot it at Matt.

Note: Zoe to Matt posted:

Hey, you going tonight? P. sure Nats is gonna ditch me when we get there. Don't want to go by myself.

He tossed it back a minute later.

Note: Matt to Zoe posted:

Sure, didn't want to go by myself either. meet you at yours?

She frowned. Her place wouldn't work unless she told Dad where she was going. It'd be better if she could say she went somewhere else without lying.

Need some cover, meet at McD's. 6 ok?

k :)

There, she could say she went over Natalie's house and then stopped at McDonalds. As long as she didn't stay out TOO late he probably wouldn't figure it out. Heck she might even beat him home, if he was working OT again. It felt like he was always working OT.

She started filling in more math questions, smiling to herself. Matt was kind of a nerd but he was reliable, and if the party sucked maybe they could go somewhere else. She'd be able to bum a ride home at least.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Linda Mills
Hot -1; Cold 1; Volatile -1; Dark 2
Harm 0/4; Exp 1/5

Oh, Maggie. Yeah, she finally dumped her jerk of a boyfriend last night. Neither of them have exactly been talking about it to many people, so it hasn't gotten around the school yet. It won't take too long before someone changes their relationship status on Facebook, though, and the rumor mill will actually start up. Unfortunately for Maggie, both of them were invited to the party tonight, and she would really rather just got and have a good time, and not have to deal with her ex dressed up as loving spider-man glaring at her from across the room. So, I more or less volunteered to politely convince him to gently caress off and do something else tonight. She had been dating Rob Smith. Cheerleader and jock, your typical highschool power couple straight out of a 1990s teen movie. I'm really not too sad to see that over and done with. Rob never did like me much, and I can do without that kind of scrutiny.

That is going to have to wait until after class, however, when I can actually track Rob down. For the time being, I need to deal with the girl who is currently shoving her Starbucks cup in my face. August seems to have torn open the tea bag and simply dumped the contents into her tea, leaving a pungent mess of green tea, spearmint and lemon grass at the bottom of her grandé sized cup now that she'd finished drinking. For a moment, I considered just tearing her head off. Metaphorically, of course. It's not like I could literally do that (yet). I roll my eyes at her, but I still take the cup. "Fine," I say, with the air of someone humoring a five year old. "Let's see what exciting things you have in your near future." Despite the sarcastic tone, I push up my glasses with my free hand, and give the leaves a good, long look. I've actually been having a surprising amount of luck with this lately.

Gaze Into The Abyss by trying to see something interesting in the bottom of August's tea leaves in order to shut her up and get her to leave me alone. (2d6+2=6) Off to a great start here. I mark experience anyway, though.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 8, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Hot 1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

Yeah, I went out last night with those Amy Johnson's clothes. You know, the spare ones in her locker that she saved for sudden rainy days. Took a while for me to get hold of those, but totally worth it. I always wanted to hang out with Maria's gang, especially when I heard she ran things like a well-oiled Sicilian machine. Didn't hurt to walk in the shoes of someone else's twin, haha.

Maria seemed a bit icy from afar, but going like this, we just talked and had a good time. We ended up talking about costumes for that Halloween thing tonight. When she asked about my costume... well, I didn't know what Amy would go as, and I didn't want to cause confusion with a bad guess. I just assured Maria it would be a surprise.

But you asked what went wrong from that. Well, I walked home with my "brother", James. I planned to break off midway into our route so we didn't risk meeting the real Amy (I got her distracted earlier on), until he grabbed my arm to stop me. I asked him what the big deal was, I just wanted to pass by somewhere. And he said...

"Don't."

I asked what he meant. "Don't do it. You wanted to tell Maria about your crush with in the party, right?" God, never seen Fat Jimmy look as serious he did there. "We have a good thing going with her. Don't make it weird."

And I guess that's been sticking in my mind until right in homeroom. I've been tapping my desk with a mechanical pencil, mulling over those words. A little drama in the group, I guess. But what am I gonna do with what I know? Hmm.

Well, let's consider the party first. I got an invitation, I guess, though it was more of a courtesy thing. No one would actually notice if I was there or not, not when Maggie plans to walk in there like she owns the place as a snow queen. Or Elsa. That leaves with room to mingle and mess around. But who to go as?

I guess that depends on one thing. I glance back the boy talking to my sister right now. River's been in my sights for a while now. I can't really explain why, but he's just really... hard to look away from. Actually getting a chance to talk to him would be nice. I wonder what's his type? Maybe I should ask about that at lunch. You know, indirectly.

Satisfied with that, I glance back towards my seatmate, Anne. And tap her shoulder with my eraser bit of my pencil. "Hey, planning anything for the party tonight?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 8, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

When Jamie taps me on the shoulder I startle and make a mess of the little smiley face I'd just drawn in the frost. It looks uncomfortably like the skull of the dead man in the alley, complete with melting water for blood. Thinking about it I wasn't sure if he had been bleeding at all, the woman had been bleeding enough for both of them...yuck. Scrubbing out the little face I turn to Jamie and grin sheepishly.

"Hadn't really given it much thought, I only made up my mind to go along about five minutes ago. Wear something warm, probably."

And something that will give me an excuse to carry a weapon. Flipping through my binder to at least look busy for Ms Salvador's benefit a picture of an old "Rosie the Riveter" poster from some Civics homework stares back at me. Huh, that could do nicely. Not exactly sexy, but then I'm not going along to turn heads. Just bust them open...

Oh for the love of God stop thinking about heads. Change the topic, talk to Jamie like a normal person.

"How about you? Anyone you had in mind as a costume?"

The question's just a little bit cheeky, crank up the grin and make eye contact juuuusssttt long enough that the private joke becomes clear.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

I move my lips in way that quietly spells out "pfft".

I'm really lucky that Anne's cool over the whole shapeshifting thing. Even if it might put me on her monster watchlist or something.

"Yeah, that depends..."

Without realizing it, I find myself looking back at River. And I catch myself, looking away before I betray my intentions. Even without the magic stuff, this isn't something I can admit out in the open.

I lean in to whisper to her. "Do you know what River looks for in a date?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0(+1)/5 | Conditions:

Huh. That's a stroke of fortune. Zoe's nice - everyone says she's a Jesus freak, but she seems okay to me. We pass notes, and by notes I mean mother-loving flippy frogs aww yeah. Guess going to the party with Zoe won't make me king loser anymore.

I glance ahead. Anne's talking to Jamie. I don't know what to think about him. Sure, there's all the rumors about him walking out of the girl's locker room, but I've been on the receiving end of the rumor factory before. I don't talk to him much - just say hi when we pass in the corridor. Are they talking about going together? Why would they? That's crazy, surely. They're friends, and that's about all I know. Don't be crazy, Matthew.

A sudden thought - I have no idea what to go as. poo poo. What did I have last year? Oh, wait, I stayed in and played TF2 last year. Fuckin' dumbass. I write up another note and send it bounding off to Zoe.

"what you going as? can't think of anything for my costume"

A few seconds of texturing Godzilla's right arm later, the frog returns. Good frog. Best friend.

"something from walmart + lots of glitter :D there's always bedsheet ghost if you're stuck"

Huh. Bedsheet ghost is fine. I can find some old sheets somewhere in the garage or something, Dad won't mind me cutting them up. I suppose- hang on... The Wal-Mart costumes are all, like, short skirts and tiny bras and things, aren't they? Is she really going in that? I glance over at her and oh god, my imagination is a betrayer. There's no way, she'll pick a nun or something. But, if she did... that's pretty...

gently caress it. I open up the note. If nothing else, this'll make her laugh.

“only if you come under them with me ;)
Away goes the Flippy Frog of Doom.

oh god what am i doing, come back flippy frog

Rolling Hot to Turn Zoe On
15:39 TheDeleter: !r 2d6+1
15:40 Krysmbot: TheDeleter, 4+1 = 5

Haha, oh well, I get the one exp for rolling Hot!

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 8, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca

Maria, stared at the poetry on her desk, It was so boring she was falling asleep. But she had to produce a literary assessment of it's merits for her english lit class. As far as she could tell it didn't have any, I mean the guy who'd wrote it couldn't even be bothered to use capital letters. Still there were a couple of girls who loved this poetry crap who owed her a favour who might be willing to loan her their notes.

She felt the phone in her pocket vibrate. She wished she could've gone for a smaller phone, I mean it looked cool and all and the bigger screen helped. But it made it really obvious when she was using it.

Sliding out her new I-phone she checked her messages

One was from the fancy dress shop in town explaining her costumes were waiting for her to pick them up. The other was from Alison, Not one of her favourite people but she had a knack for getting the gossip before anyone else did.

quote:

hey u hear abt maggie

Maria texted back.

quote:

wat abt maggie?

came the reply

quote:

bf dumped her was messy tell u ltr

Maria was only vaguely aware of Maggies boyfriend One of the guys on the senior swim team if she remembered right. Bobbie or something like that. He was some sort of relative of River's. Messy though sounded interesting she'd have to get the gory details at lunch. Still it left the space clear for Michael to have a shot at her and well if not she's sure there's a couple of girls who'd be happy enough to date him if he just worked up the courage to actually ask them. I mean he's totally not her type but he's not that bad looking. She could always call in some favours and set him up with one of them.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

River, huh? Jamie's got a good eye, dude is pretty hot if you're into that whole tall, willowy, model perfect hair-and-face thing...which I think basically every girl (and honest guy) in school totally is. I risk a quick glance in his direction to check him out on the sly refresh my memory about who I've seen him with. He's chatting to Maggie, but Jamie would probably already know if his twin was into that. Besides, doesn't she have a boyfriend? While I'm mentally undressing River thinking about it I notice Matthew and Zoe passing notes. Ortiz seems kind of flustered - is he asking her to the party? They would be a pretty cute couple, gotta admit. And Linda is looking into a paper cup like someone just handed her a fresh steaming dog poo poo for some reason. Turning back to my little conspiracy huddle with Jamie I roll my eyes a bit and shrug as I whisper back.

"Perfection? He's super pretty, but I hear his standards are crazy high."

I don't think I've seen him with the same girl for more than a week.

"Someone new...Maria, maybe? Or one of the girls from drama club? Be careful, you don't want to get someone's heart broken."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
---

I couldn't help snorting at Matt's last note-pass but I covered my giggle before anyone turned around and noticed. He was too funny sometimes. That's why I liked him.

No, not like THAT.

It's not that I friend-zoned him or anything but I don't think Matt would take it seriously even if we DID go out together. He might not mention it much but his family takes up a lot of his time and I don't think he'd put a girlfriend first if it came down to a choice. I don't think I could handle always being second place.

It DID make me wonder if people would think something was up between us if we showed up at the Halloween party together. I had a lot of guy-friends but I'd never had a boyfriend at school. Would anyone notice? Well, as long as we didn't have matching costumes or anything cutesy it was probably OK. It might be fun to have a rumor or two out there, even if it wasn't true.

I stuffed the frog in my pocket and glanced up at the clock. Just enough time to finish the Math if I hurried.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Maria, So Maggie and Rob broke up, but you can already see River starting up a conversation with her. With the way he moves through girls you wouldn't be surprised if he was making a move already! If you want to give Michael a fighting chance or leave River free for a potential dance date you're going to have to do something.

River, Maggie arrived to class a minute or two behind Matthew, and likewise her entrance goes on commented on by Ms. Salvador, taking her seat silently. She does not, however, look pleased to be immediately met with questions about her breakup, though her expression softens slightly when she sees that you're the one asking.

Leaning over towards you to get a notebook out from her backpack, she whispers back "Yeah, as long as Rob isn't. Do me a favor and don't spread it around though."

Linda, as you lean forward to get a better look at the tea-glop, one of the harsh florescent lights overhead flickers, making the shadows in the cup dance, and for a moment the mounds of soggy tea leaves and herbs seem to be piles of corpses, the bits of tea coating the bottom a pool of blood. Then the light steadies, and all you see is a mess, leaving you with the unshakable feeling that corpse on the bottom had been Anne.

"Well, what'd you see?" August waves her hand in front of your face, and gives you an impatient look. What do you do?

Matt, Zoe takes a string on you for being transparent(ho ho h- :commissar:)

GodFish fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 9, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)

GodFish posted:

River, Maggie arrived to class a minute or two behind Matthew, and likewise her entrance goes on commented on by Ms. Salvador, taking her seat silently. She does not, however, look pleased to be immediately met with questions about her breakup, though her expression softens slightly when she sees that you're the one asking.

Leaning over towards you to get a notebook out from her backpack, she whispers back "Yeah, as long as Rob isn't. Do me a favor and don't spread it around though."

"No one will hear about it from me. I hope to see you there though; and I’ll let you know if I hear what Rob’s planning."

As I lean back into my seat I catch Anne looking at me and smile back at her. There’s something about her. She’s got fire behind those unwavering eyes; like she has committed herself to a lifelong promise. She’s pretty hot too.

She seems friendly with Jamie but I doubt there's anything there. He seems more likely to ask me out than her. I think I’ll ask her to the party after Ms. Salvador lets us out of class.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 9, 2014

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills
Harm 0/4; Exp 2/5

"That you need to stop buying green tea from Starbucks -- this stuff is scalded as gently caress." I try to put a mocking, ironic lilt into my voice, like I was only playing a joke on August all along.

Shut August Down: 2d6+1=3. Nope! I mark experience again, though.

Okay, maybe I'm just too shaken up to pull off amused and disaffected. I can't really meet her eyes for more than a second or two when I say it, and I drop the cup back down on her desk as if it might bite me. "You shouldn't believe in that stuff," I add hurriedly, before turning away and hunching over the notebook open on my desk. God dammit, I'm not used to seeing things like that when I look at tea leaves! A bit of misfortune, or some opportunity I can take advantage of.

I bite my lip, and steal a glance over to Anne, before looking away again. Whatever I just saw, I can't let it happen. My grip on the edge of my desk turns white-knuckled as that cold, dark... something that lives in my chest stirs with displeasure. Anne is mine. She doesn't know that yet, but I protect what's mine. I hear a sound like straining wood, and I look down to see that it's coming from the corner of my desk that I'm gripping. I can actually feel it starting to give under my fingers.

I force myself to relax, take a deep breath, and I feel myself start to slide back to normal. The darkness in my chest settles back down. Still agitated, but not actually surfacing for the time being. One thing's for sure -- I've got more important worries than making sure Rob doesn't show up at the party tonight.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

I can feel my self blushing just a little when I realize River caught me checking him out. It's really hard difficult not to look back and lose myself in those eyes, but oh hey homeroom! Gotta do this civics homework! I cough a bit to cover my embarrassment, loosen my jacket up and turn back to the excerpt from a textbook that was out of date when Dad was at school.

It's not much of a distraction. I grew up basically breathing the history of the US labor movement, and the hardest part of this mini-essay has been cynically tailoring the answer that the material wants. Just a matter of making sure my sources are in order.

Something's not right. I can feel it. It's not this homework, not the thought of River's mesmerizing eyes on me, but the air feels heavy. OK Anne, don't freak out about it. Just look out the window again, breathe steady. What about this room is giving me the creeps...

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6-1 8

The visions are confusing and alarming

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

"Maria, huh?" Her clothes shouldn't be hard to get if I pull off Amy again. A costume that she owns would be much harder, though. Eh, let's work on getting some normal clothes, then I could style some halloween stuff over it. Maybe dab some fake blood and hair dye so I can go as Buffy. "I'm not gonna hurt anyone, I just want a chance to talk to Rive-"

I realize that I don't have Anne's attention. Who's she turning away from? River? Are you kidding me? Do I gotta push her aside, too? Okay, focus. Maybe she just saw something gross.

"Okay, I should get ready after school." I say, trying to act like nothing's wrong. "Can you do me a favor? Maybe go to River for me and ask who's he asking out?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Anne
The air grows heavier around you, thick and musty, with a scent of... tea? As you inhale a deep whiff of the scented air, your vision spins for a moment and when it comes to a stop, the classroom is gone. Your classmates are gone as well, in there place stand ice princesses and ghosts, witches and demons, serpents and kings, angels and kings, vampires and skeletons, wolves and spiders, dragons and Frankensteins, and ...munsters?, all wearing the faces of your class. But most of all, around you stand the dead, countless numbers closing in on you all and behind them, a smoking, burning, figure. You move forward to fight them, but you can't, something is holding you back, dragging you away. As you turn, standing, seated, you see Linda's face as the world returns to normal again.

Linda
August gives a snort and snatches her cup back, turning away from you. "Don't be so stuck up. Some of us just like the taste without it needing to be authentically stewed chai english grey by some Tibetan monk or whatever." Leaving you, she leans over towards Matthew and starts to chatter away at him about the dream she had last night. Take the condition Snob.

In front of you, you see Anne turn in her seat, her face porcelain white, staring directly at you.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

SNAP

What...what was that noise...why is my hand wet...oh...my pen...

The room comes rushing back in like a forest fire, and I realize I'm holding my breath while Jamie asks a question. It sounds like he's underwater. Oh no, there's ink spattered all over the place.

"poo poo! Sorry, Ms. Salvador! I, uh need to be excused."

Leaping to my feet with the grace of a scalded cat I use my clean hand to scoop my things into my bag and make a run for the door, pausing only to send an apologetic look to Jamie.

gently caress, I'm going to be dripping ink all the way to the bathroom. Cheap piece of poo poo pen.

Run Away: 2d6+2 9

Choosing to make a big scene, marking XP

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

...And Anne suddenly bolts out of her seat and runs up in front of Linda. Then runs off to the bathroom.

Tammy, the girl behind my seat, throws me this weird look. I don't have anything to say to explain it. I just throw up my arms.

What the gently caress is wrong with her this morning?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven

---

I tapped my pen on my notebook. Anne running out like that had caused a pretty big stir. Ever since she'd talked to me in church the other day I'd felt a little bit responsible for her. She was having a lot of trouble with something even if she hadn't told me exactly what it was and I wanted to help her out. I'd seen her around ever since I was little, we'd been in the same classes for years, but never really been close. Which was weird, since her Dad and my Dad had been friends probably since before we were born.

I noticed she'd left a pencil case on her seat, probably missed it she was in such a hurry. Class was almost over, so I got out of my seat and picked up my books then went to rescue the pencil case before stopping at the Teacher's desk.

"Hey, um, Mrs. Salvador? Anne left her pencils and she's going to need them for next period..."

Rolling Hot to manipulate Mrs. Salvador into letting me go after Anne. 2d6-1 = 6! Not good enough.

I could tell it wasn't working, she was going to ask me to sit down and I'd miss my chance to help Anne. I put on my biggest smile and waved the case. "So I'm just going to take these back to her now. Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to leave early. If you want me to come in early tomorrow and clean the boards or do more homework I can, but this is something I have to do."

I slipped out the door before she could answer, trying not to think about how much trouble I was going to be in tomorrow.

Rolling Volatile to Run Away. 2d6+1 = 7! Giving Mrs. Salvador a string on me to get out clean. Also marking experience.

The hallway was totally empty, but the black ink stains dotting the cheap tile gave Anne's path away. I headed for the girl's room and pushed the door open, poking my head in before I went in all the way. I didn't want to catch her off guard so I called in. "Hey... Anne? You left your pencils. Are you OK?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Zoe snorts at my note. Well, gotta make 'em laugh. I smile and shrug, before getting caught up in a conversation with August. She dreamt about horses. I think she's been marathoning Lord of the Rings again.

I've not really thought of Zoe in that way before. She's attractive, but then I can count the girls that aren't on, like, one hand. I mean, I wouldn't say no to Zoe, but I doubt she's interested. Same with Anne, really. I've been creepy-watching her long enough to figure out she's one of the long line of suckers trying to get at River. Ugh, River. What a drama queen that guy is. He's pretty, sure, but he takes everything so seriously. And he acts weird sometimes.

(and he's better than me at basically everything)

I'm gonna sound like Old Appleby from the Army Surplus, but all these supernatural romance novels have hosed with their heads some-

Anne's gone pale. She's staring right at Linda. Then she dashes out. What the hell? Is... Is anyone gonna... no?

"Anne? Anne!"

Well, nobody else seems to be keen on figuring out what the problem is. Linda can go hang - I'll just gently caress around in the shops looking for that tea later. I get up and leave my stuff at the desk, throwing a "Sorry" at Miss Salvador, as I follow Anne out of the classroom.

Rolling to Run Away!
12:19 TheDeleter !r 2d6-1
12:19 Krysmbot TheDeleter, 7-1 = 6

hahahaha gently caress

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 9, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

Oh come on, it was just one pen! How much ink can it hold? Enough to be all over my jeans, my jacket, and my hands, making me look like I've been down a coal mine, that's how much. At least I didn't get any on my phone, or in my lunch, or in my hair...wait, there's a big blob just above my temple. Just great. Why couldn't my psycho visions kick in at a better time, like never? Why can't I-

mistaya posted:

"Hey... Anne? You left your pencils. Are you OK?"

Zoe?

"Zoe? Um...yeah, I'm alright, thanks. Just broke a cheap pen and made a mess."

I don't feel alright. I don't think I sound alright, either. I could really use someone to talk to for a moment.

"Hey, could you come in and give me a hand? This ink has gone everywhere and I'd like to make sure it doesn't stain my shirt."

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)

I watched Anne go pale, explode the pen in her hand and bolt out of the class, leaving Jamie looking like a lost puppy. That was new. I wonder what that was all about.

Then I hear a chair scrape the floor sharply behind me as Zoe makes a poor excuse to rush after her. What’s between those two? I didn’t know they were friends, but then again, I wasn’t paying much attention before either.

To complete the trifecta, Matthew bolts out of the classroom without even bothering with a bad excuse and runs after the two of them.

I guess I’ll have to ask her out at lunch or something.

Meanwhile, I gotta find out if Rob’s coming to the party. I use the distraction to take out my prepay phone and text him: “U going to the party?”

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills
Harm 0/4; Exp 2/5 Conditions: Snob

Well, poo poo. I'm so distracted I barely register August and her terrible, incorrect opinions about tea (I was making a comment on the water temperature used in the preparation of the tea, not the quality of the leaves, which directly effects the taste! Something which clearly went over her head, but like I said, I'm not really focusing on that right now). Considering Anne's previous reaction to me, it seems pretty likely that I'm the one who just set her off like that.

I fight down the urge to follow the parade of socially awkward dorks who immiedately follow Anne out of the room. What am I going to say to her? 'Hey, you don't know me super well, but you're going to end up on a corpse pile in the near future!' is not a great way to start a conversation. I'll need to do better than that before I try to hash this out.

Instead, I look over to the seat beside the one Anne just vacated, and try to make eye contact with Jaime. I don't know Jaime nearly as well as I do Maggie, but I've seen them around. "What the gently caress?" I mouth at Jaime. They're... friends or something. Maybe I can use that.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca

Maria watches as the nerds file out one by one. What the hell is going on there? Is there some high-pitched dog whistle that only the geeks can hear? Still the thinning crowd gives her a good look at River. He already seemed to be putting the moves on Maggie. Maria was getting kind of jealous he moves quick and yet he never even tried making a pass at her. She knows how good good looking she is and she has the money and time to dress well yet he was still playing hard to get. Still she liked a challenge and if she managed to pry him away from Maggie long enough to give Micheal a good shot that would do.

She scribbled a quick text to Mike "there's mags's number. better get in quick before river does..." and sat back to watch and see how River responded to a challenger.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Anne
Ms. Salvador gives you a slightly concerned look as you rush for the door, splattered in ink, but nods you out. Obviously you can't go to class like that. Most of the class watches you go, and a few laugh as you leave.

Zoe
Ms. Salvador isn't particularly convinced by your argument, "I'm sure you can give it to her during passi-" She cuts off as you leave though, and just lets out a sigh and turns back towards her own notebook, until...

Matthew
"No, seriously! That's quite enough Matthew, go back and sit down! I try to be relaxed about things so you all can focus on your studies, and this is how you all act?" She glares at you, pointing to your desk, and continues to mutter to herself under her breath. You could still leave, but it's clear that she'll be very unhappy, and it might have consequences for the rest of the class if you do. What do you do?

Maria
You almost immediately get back a reply;

Mike posted:

thx!

And shortly after, you can just hear the sounds of him texting away behind you. After a moment, Maggie pulls out her own phone and sends off a reply.

After a few minutes of this, you get another message

Mike posted:

think u can hlp sell her on me aftr class

River appears busy texting away as well.

River

Rob posted:

yeah y wouldnt i

Rob posted:

u bringing any1

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

I give Linda the same shrug I just gave Tammy. I don't know, okay? Anne just freaked out over something, spilled ink all over her, and bolted. Some other people followed her too. Didn't know Anne had a clique of her own, though. I should look into that sometime.

Too much commotion going on now, though. I should stay put and look for Anne later. I could still use her help.

I turn back at Tammy, flashing a smile. "That was weird, huh?" She's pretty much only person still adjacent to me, especially after Hatcher got narced out a while back. I really need to talk to someone right now. "How about you, any plans for the party tonight?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven

----

"Sure." I said. I dropped my books on the floor and unzipped my hoodie. It used to be Mom's, so I didn't want to risk any ink-accidents on it. My T-shirt underneath was black already so I didn't need to worry about it getting stained. "Geez, was that a pen or a grenade?"

The soap in the school dispensers was completely worthless but I had some wet-naps in my bag and those at least took the blotches off her hands, (and mine once I started helping. Ugh. Ink.) I didn't think there was anything we could do about her jeans though.

I thought about what I could say that'd make her feel like she could talk to me. My angel side could sense she was in pain, a lot of it, and I wouldn't be able to think about anything else if I didn't try to help. Just hearing her out last time had made me feel stronger, like I was doing the right thing. Fulfilling my purpose.

"You can tell me if something's wrong, you know?" I said, quietly. "I wouldn't tell anyone if you didn't want me to, and..." I shrugged. "Well, I wouldn't think you're crazy no matter what it is."

It was the truth, I just hoped she could tell.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)
I ignore the first question and reply to the second:

River posted:

Yeah working on it

I put my phone away and notice Maria texting. I wonder what she’s up to. She always looks like she’s up to something with her friends. She looks really hot when she gets intense. Did she just look at me? And now it looks like the whole class is texting. It’s like a contagion.

I wait for Maggie to finish texting and lean over to her again and whisper, “Rob’s going to the party," I pause and smile at her, "but I hope you don’t let that stop you from coming.”

Turn on Maggie: 2d6+2 9

Marking experience for rolling Hot.

I lean back in my seat and feel the warmth of a promise fulfilled spread through my body.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 10, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

quote:

"Geez, was that a pen or a grenade?"

I can't help but laugh a bit at that.

"I know, right? Should pass this on to the Pentagon, maybe they can use it."

With Zoe's help I get my hands clean enough to get my jacket and shirt off without making things worse. She looks doubtfully at my jeans, and I'm inclined to agree. Just have to hope the ink doesn't soak all the way through. I sit on the edge of the sink while she does her best to clean up the splotch in my hair. She's way more gentle and thorough than I would have been. And then...

quote:

"You can tell me if something's wrong, you know?" I said, quietly. "I wouldn't tell anyone if you didn't want me to, and..." I shrugged. "Well, I wouldn't think you're crazy no matter what it is."

I really want to tell her everything. The explosion, the dead men, Jamie...maybe not Jamie, that's his business. But it's too much, too fast. I take hold of the hand she's been washing my face with and look at her with a half-smile.

"You're good people, Zoe. I don't want to drop all of my trouble in your lap at once. I..." My tongue sticks a bit, as a full confession tries to spill out. "I'm...just a little stressed out at the moment, what with the party tonight and midterms coming up. Haven't been sleeping enough, and I guess I spaced out there. I hope Ms Salvador isn't too mad at the pair of us."

And wow Anne, good job holding Zoe's hand and staring into her eyes like a goober.

Turn on Zoe: 2d6+1 4

Bugger. Mark XP anyway.

OK this is getting awkward. Let the hand go, you goof.

"So, uh...You going to the party with Matt tonight? He's a funny guy."

Smooth recovery.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven

----

I bit my lip. Dang it she wasn't going to tell me anything. Oh well, if helping people was easy then everyone would do it. I didn't even notice how close we were until Anne pulled her hands back, like she was embarrassed about it. Being near people, touching, hugging, none of that stuff really registered as weird to me since the accident. I scratched the back of my neck to cover the fact that I wasn't uncomfortable.

"Matt's... Well, yeah we're going together but not like, TOGETHER." The folded frog in my pocket bit into my leg and I pulled it out. "You want to come with us? We're meeting up at McDonalds ahead of time. If you don't already have plans, I mean."

I honestly didn't know if she did. I realized I was going to have to start paying more attention to the social stuff in class- OR I could just ask Natalie. She always knew all that stuff, but she probably wouldn't give up the info for free.

There really was no saving those poor jeans. "Could have been worse." I said as she frowned at them. "Could have been a RED pen."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

"Yeah, I'll be going along tonight. Probably won't stay too long though, it's going to be cold. Only a guy like Cody would think that having a party outdoors in this kind of weather was a bright idea, right?"

I think about how even without the dead men Carnegie isn't exactly a safe place.

"Sure, I'll meet up with you beforehand. Jamie should be coming along as well, we can go in as a group. And yeah, red would have been bad. At least this way I'm only the Incredible Squid Girl."

Everything's about as clean as it's going to get. Now to see if we can get back to class before the bell rings.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Jamie
"Yeah, I'm going with Brad." Tammy shoots a grin his way, then for some reason looks behind her to smile briefly at Linda as well. Turning back to you, she seems to think for a moment, probably trying to remember if she knows anything about your love life. "Are you going with anyone?"

River

Rob posted:

try n get them 2 bring a hot friend 4 me ;)

Maggie turns away quickly, and begins to send out another text, but you could see that she had gone a little red. "I really want too, but I don't think I can be around him just yet..." She trails off, and then glances back at you from over her phone. "You couldn't talk him into doing something else tonight, could you? I mean... he is your brother."

Take a string on her

Linda
Maggie is trying to keep her voice low, but can you hear the conversation she and River are having? Are you going to do anything about it?

Zoe
Take a string on Anne

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills
Harm 0/4; Exp 2/5 Conditions: Snob

I'm still kind of understandably shaken up by the whole "blood and corpses at the bottom of your cup' bullshit, but that doesn't mean I don't have ears. I like River, in a way, but that doesn't mean I won't be setting some boundaries early on. I don't have any special objection to the two of them getting together, but it wouldn't do to let them forget who's in charge here. I lean across the aisle, bracing a hand on Maggie's desk. "I did say I'd take care of it, Mag," I say, with a smile that's about half just baring teeth in River's direction. What? No, of course they're not fangs. I've got pretty great teeth, thank you very much. "You know you can trust me to handle this kind of thing." I don't outright say that she can't trust River to do the same, but there's definitely room to infer as much.

Using Jealous Coils to remind River that Maggie is My Friend Not His: 2d6+2=7. I take a string on Maggie, but either:
- she gives me a Condition,
- I say something I'll regret.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Linda
You say something you'll regret, but you can wait for River to say something first if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

"Uh..."

Okay, I obviously can't be open about this with Tammy than I could with Anne. And if you ask me, Jamie Chang, about my love life? Ah, gently caress.

"Not really, but I'm looking around." I say, tentatively. "Brad, huh? Didn't know you two were like that." Doesn't Linda have Tammy like a vice?

• Locked thread