Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

oliwan posted:

only weaklings wear bike helmets tbqh

i don't wanna get into another helmet fight but i'll just say the studies suggesting that helmets don't help are dubious or very context-specific, and are mainly espoused by certain european bike advocacies whose main interest is to get more people (in a culture where people hate wearing helmets) to ride, and to be fair it's probably okay because they have insanely more physically separated bike lanes/trails whereas i have to ride on the road for 80% of my commute

:synpa:

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo

alnilam posted:

i don't wanna get into another helmet fight but i'll just say the studies suggesting that helmets don't help are dubious or very context-specific, and are mainly espoused by certain european bike advocacies whose main interest is to get more people (in a culture where people hate wearing helmets) to ride, and to be fair it's probably okay because they have insanely more physically separated bike lanes/trails whereas i have to ride on the road for 80% of my commute

:synpa:

im dutch and i have been riding a bike since as long as i can remember, i ride my bike literally every day, and i have never worn a helmet.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
people in Pittsburgh are not courteous to bikers and helmets are a good idea here.

joke_explainer

that was some extremely good info alnilam! thank you! I will use it if I ever bike in the cold.

alnilam

ChairmanMeow posted:

people in Pittsburgh are not courteous to bikers and helmets are a good idea here.
^^^
that

seriously almost every time i get in a helmet argument the person ends up being dutch lol, no offense to you, it's because your country is really good for cyclists!
but you must understand that helmets do protect your head, and when the risk of a crash is higher, the reason to wear a helmet is too

ty manifisto

joke_explainer

oliwan posted:

im dutch and i have been riding a bike since as long as i can remember, i ride my bike literally every day, and i have never worn a helmet.

that's cool, but if you smashed your head open and your brains were leaking out after a car hit you you'd probably wish you were wearing a helmet. everybody is vulnerable to head trauma... anecdotal evidence is not really a good indicator of anything...

some people claim wearing a helmet makes drivers more aggressive toward you because they think you are now invicible b/c you're wearing a helmet, but still i'd rather take that risk then have a higher risk of head trauma. drivers are inattentive as poo poo anyway and will run you down no matter what you're wearing

smoobles
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

oliwan posted:

im dutch and i have been riding a bike since as long as i can remember

aren't your legs tired by now

----------------

Al Borland

by XyloJW
Bake lots of bread OP.

----------------

alnilam

smoobles posted:

lol

ty manifisto

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo

Security Drone posted:

that's cool, but if you smashed your head open and your brains were leaking out after a car hit you you'd probably wish you were wearing a helmet. everybody is vulnerable to head trauma... anecdotal evidence is not really a good indicator of anything...

some people claim wearing a helmet makes drivers more aggressive toward you because they think you are now invicible b/c you're wearing a helmet, but still i'd rather take that risk then have a higher risk of head trauma. drivers are inattentive as poo poo anyway and will run you down no matter what you're wearing

I know how to ride a bike so i hit cars.

----------------

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo

smoobles posted:

smoobles! i didnt mean continually!

----------------

smoobles
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

oliwan posted:

smoobles! i didnt mean continually!

wow, egg on my face for sure. your phrasing threw me.

----------------

Al Borland

by XyloJW

smoobles posted:

wow, egg on my face for sure. your phrasing threw me.

You should wipe that egg off your face dummy!

----------------

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
86 cotton wool or synthetic moisture wicking everything

verily carefree

poo poo your pants and wear your poo poo pants all day

Al Borland

by XyloJW

acato posted:

poo poo your pants and wear your poo poo pants all day

Peeing too releases warmth.

----------------

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Layers are better than thick clothes so you can add and remove as necessary. I didt read thw thread but it was -20F last week here at 5000 ft above sea level in montana

verily carefree

Al Borland posted:

LIFEHACK: you can drink your own wizz

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

my sexy secret?: Longjohns

alnilam

one time in middle school my friend peed on top of a kerosene heater in the little detached garage / hangout room at his place and then it smelled really bad lmao

ty manifisto

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Al Borland posted:

true, but watch out! It'll soon become frozen. It's like an icy hot!

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

ulvir

alnilam posted:

i bike just about everywhere i go, unless it's icy. Even snow isn't that bad unless it gets really packed down. Doesn't matter whether you have a road bike or mountain bike, either is decent in some light/fresh snow as long as you pedal/turn carefully.

but alnilam, you live in a cold city, where it's not unusual to have daytime temps of 15-20 F (-10 to -5 C) in Jan and Feb. How do you do it?!

Well I'm here to tell you how to do it too!

The summary here is: Underdess your torso, overdress your hands and face.

Torso
-get a waterproof/windproof shell for your outer layer. i prefer this layer to have no insulation, it's more versatile year-round that way
-under that, layer as in SecurityDrone's post, but here is the big secret: you should always underdress, when you are biking somewhere!! your core is going to get really hot as you pedal around. When you first get outside, you hsould feel a little underdressed. I promise you, even on a 25 F day, I am always unzipping my outermost layers halfway by the time I get to work

Hands
Focus on gloves! This is the most important part of your winter biking outfit. Unlike with your torso, your hands need to be OVER-dressed. They are subject to the brunt of the wind, they are far apart from the rest of you, and they do not get much warmed up by your pedaling activity.
Good gloves are key! I have a light pair, a heavy pair, and two different kinds of liners (liners are cheap or sometimes free); between all those, I am good in any weather.

Face
When it gets below freezing I break out some sort of face covering. Your face and your hands are the two spots where you definitely want to cover up the most, because of all the wind. Balaclavas, scarves, whatever. Be able to cover your face
You may even want some clear glasses or light sunglasses - otherwise when it's really cold it can hurt my eyeballs and freeze/frost my eyelashes :cry:

Hat
Get a thin beanie that fits under your hlmet that should be fine, this may combine with your face covering if you get a balaclava

Legs and feet
long undies and jeans do me fine all winter, but I recommend having some waterproof overpants for snowy, slushy, or rainy days. like with the outermost jacket, they shouldn't carry any insulation of their own, otherwise you're gonna get hot
Feet: wear boots and wool socks idk i just wear what i would wear walkign around

"Ugh do I have to wear fancy bike clothes and then change into work clothes at work?"
Nope, I wear work clothes under my jacket all the time. If I have nicer pants on, I'll throw on my waterproof overpants to protect them from salt.

If you DO want at least your outermost layers to be bike-specific, Showers Pass makes nice stuff, and REI brand Novara's rain jacket is good too (or was when I got my jacket 5 years ago, and I still wear this jacket winter-round). Ncie thing about bike-specific rain jackets is they have a hanging buttflap to shield your butt from slush/rain/salt coming up. But any jacket should do.

Final tips:
rinse salt off of your bike (esp moving parts) with water every few days, then re-lube it. find somewhere above freezing to let your bike dry, do not let the rinse water freeze on your bike :negative:
---if you don't do the salt rinse, it's not the end of the world, but expect parts to wear down faster
get a fender(s), it helps a lot with slush especially

this is a good post, I've been meaning to man up and be a full-time bike commuter. so far I've done like 20 trips this year, all of which was to and from the gym so I could skip cardio warm-up instead

Yo, imma blob

have you any wool
dryer lint can be used as kindling.

treasure bear

dont drink the cold water

Al Borland

by XyloJW
Use your unpaid bills to fuel a garbage can fire.

----------------

420 SWAGLORD

saban bajramovic

Al Borland posted:

Use your unpaid bills to fuel a garbage can fire.

A Spider Covets

cats

----------------

FluffieDuckie

it was 70 degrees here today. that's my tip for staying warm. live someplace warm

you're welcome

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Mr. Merdle

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

When I wake up in the morning I urinate on myself because the pee is body temp. Also put all your clothes in the dryer all the time.

Dengue_Fever

Lil Peeler posted:

When I wake up in the morning I urinate on myself because the pee is body temp. Also put all your clothes in the dryer all the time.

For about an entire second i looked and saw "lil peeer".

froward

by Azathoth
idk if you guys ever took physics 101, but hot air rises.

Most of the heat from your supremely expensive central heating or radiator or whatever is going to go straight up to the ceiling and stay there. You can improve heating efficiency by a solid 20-40% by putting a small electric fan on the ceiling above the heat source or vent, and setting it at a ~5 degree angle (so it's blowing across the ceiling, not down). This will cause air to circulate. The more fans the better. 10 watt fans are pretty cheap and cheap to run, too.

Don't let the fans blow on people, they will generate a mild wind chill effect and you don't want that. Just keep that air mixing. This can ALSO help with the nasty "indoor swamp" effect when things get chilly and you notice moisture accumulating on your laptop/phone for no real reason. The moisture capacity of air halves with every ten degree (Fahrenheit) drop in temperature.
--

If you live in a two-story house you can increase warmth of lower floors by installing a door on the stairwell (or failing that, an expanding friction-hold shower curtain rod with blankets thrown over it).

If your home is poorly insulated and you don't mind the look, throw some tapestries & rugs on the wall. It's a great way to display rugs, and it also adds a layer of insulation.

Remember that two five-pound blankets will be warmer than one ten-pound blanket. Trapped air = insulation.
--
Most of you have windows & doors with glass that is single-pane. If you ever replace them, do it with double pane (or triple, if you can afford it). Windows & french doors are cold air sources.

Check to see if your attic/ceiling is insulated. Is it fiberglass? Chopped up paper? Chopped paper insulation is common in older houses because it's easy to blow, and cheap. But it's about a third as efficient as modern insulation.
--
Finally, the biggest energy saving tip is: only heat one room, if you can. Central heat is nice and all but it's EXPENSIVE AS HELL to run. If you have many big open rooms, run curtain rods across them to cut them into sections, and throw blankets/carpets over them.

joke_explainer

Jesus this thread has a lot of great advice for staying warm. I guess BYOB has some experience being cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Ignore all this poo poo the trick is apparently to live in loving Vancouver cause I'm here this winter and it was god damned 15 degrees here today and it's the middle of winter and I don't like the heat and I don't want it to be balmy spring-time temperatures in the middle of god damned December you fucks

• Locked thread