Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
And does anyone like the ribbon-cutting thing at the end of every level, or any of the switch palace junk, or 90% of the levels between Vanilla Dome and Bowser Valley? SMB3 is a much better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The spin jump exists so that rom hackers can create awful levels based around bouncing off of those rotating spike balls.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

"the Mario game i played first as a child is clearly superior to that other one which is for idiot fuckers"

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Curse those developers for trying to improve their games by adding new features and extra layers of gameplay :argh:

fedit: Super Mario World owns and is the best Mario

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It was just to add more abilities for the player to use. They had to sell the idea of more face buttons being an essential thing so they came up with some extra stuff Mario could do.

Kind of a natural evolution of Mario's toolset to have one jump that breaks bricks above you and another that breaks bricks below you.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

What's with Yoshi only being used as a level specific gimmick for every game after SMW? drat it Nintendo, if I pass one level with Yoshi I should be able to bring him to the next.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

J-Spot posted:

What's with Yoshi only being used as a level specific gimmick for every game after SMW? drat it Nintendo, if I pass one level with Yoshi I should be able to bring him to the next.

That's just a 'less work' thing. They can design just a few specific levels to handle Yoshi mechanics instead of needing to make sure all of them accommodate him and don't break or whatever.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

J-Spot posted:

Have you considered playing Yoshi's Story for the N64?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

you're a loving moron.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

super mario world is an excellent game
super mario 3 is an excellent game
this is not an excellent thread

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My version of the game had the spin jump be useless on enemies. Not once have I bounced off an enemy without taking damage. I had more fun telefragging Mario through the spinning blocks from off the screen. SMB3 is superior.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

"the Mario game i played first as a child is clearly superior to that other one which is for idiot fuckers"

more like the mario that was awesome is the best and the one that made him live in dino world and took away all his great power ups and introduced stupid puzzle levels to break up the flow of the gameplay is dumb and bad but still very fun i guess.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Real hurthling! posted:

more like the mario that was awesome is the best and the one that made him live in dino world and took away all his great power ups and introduced stupid puzzle levels to break up the flow of the gameplay is dumb and bad but still very fun i guess.

This dumb post accidentally brings up a good point. Super Mario World had dinosaurs in it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

What, the great powerups that made him into a furry? Guess I learned something about YOU today.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

smw ghost houses were designed by the guy that thought 6-5 was a great level and not just a funny way to keep your little brother from getting the hammer suit.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SMB3 is my favourite, but I still love the Japanese SMB2 because it doesn't gently caress around. I imported the GBA version, which didn't let you save after each level.

All Night Nippon is a good version to play if you want SMB2J's physics and Luigi in SMB1's levels.

I'm playing through Newer SMB Wii, and it's really good. I need to finish Mario Adventure and Super Demo World at some point as well.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The only suit worth caring about from SM3 was the frog suit. Which they should totally bring back, by the way.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

That loving Sned posted:

I still love the Japanese SMB2 because it doesn't gently caress around.

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cubey posted:

The only suit worth caring about from SM3 was the frog suit. Which they should totally bring back, by the way.

the only bad part about the frog suit is that you don't turn into tadpole suit mario when you get hit. oh and you can't get under 1 block high spaces while you have it i guess.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Mario games are fun, you guys. :)

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Bowser jr. is an annoying piece of poo poo enemy and they should have stuck with the other Koopa Kids. I don't know why they haven't ganged up and killed him yet.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Atmus posted:

Bowser jr. is an annoying piece of poo poo enemy and they should have stuck with the other Koopa Kids. I don't know why they haven't ganged up and killed him yet.

Sadly the other Koopa Kids are, canonically, not Bowser's children anymore. It has been retconned that they're just like generals or something. Only Bowser Jr. is the sole heir to the Koopa Kingdom.

The Marioverse canon and mythos is intricate and deep

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

HJE-Cobra posted:

Sadly the other Koopa Kids are, canonically, not Bowser's children anymore. It has been retconned that they're just like generals or something. Only Bowser Jr. is the sole heir to the Koopa Kingdom.

I no longer like Mario. Thanks for ruining it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

Why does he have children as generals? When they were his kids it made sense because rulers love giving important positions to their kids, but when they're just unrelated koopas it makes no sense that they could achieve such a rank at that age.

Let's discuss Marioverse lore.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jesus christ op

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

super mario world is an excellent game
super mario 3 is an excellent game
this is not an excellent thread

i'm with you

Cubey posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

go on, go on

Cubey posted:

ok we're fighting

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

McSpankWich posted:

Curse those developers for trying to improve their games by adding new features and extra layers of gameplay :argh:

fedit: Super Mario World owns and is the best Mario

SM Bros. 3 was marginally better.

Not understanding all the spookhouse hatred ITT though.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 10, 2014

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

circ dick soleil posted:

SM Bros. 3 was marginally better.

Not understanding all the spookhouse hatred ITT though.

Look dude, those things were confusing. Go through this door, go down a hallway, go through another door, wtf we're back at the same place. Hit a block, oh, there's a door open at the other end of the hallway that you don't know about, whoops, it already closed. That poo poo was aggravating when you're a 12-year-old and you just want to go through the level with the run button held down.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There were always options to avoid the ghost houses though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Before, you could only throw fireballs in one direction, now, you can throw fireballs in two directions.

Also I really like the Butter and Cheese Bridges, the Forest of Illusion (should've had a food name), and Chocolate Island :)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My favourite Mario game is Super Mario 64, but all the ones that came before are great too. I've played them all thoroughly, although in the ones that have warp zones I tend to just sit down and try winning the game in as little time as possible. I don't think I've ever fully explored Super Mario World, so that one and Lost Levels are the only pre-Gamecube Mario games where I haven't played all the levels.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Cubey posted:

Honestly I hated that loving suit. Would lose it straight away. I sucked at Mario as a kid.

Edit: ducking auto-correct.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Super Mario World sucked a big one, OP. You can tell they were planning something big for NES but then rushed some heap of junk out the door to promote the SNES, with new "features" designed to promote the new hardware. It didn't work, and that much is evident to anyone with a basic understanding of game design.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
SMB3 did the flying gimmick better, the stages were better designed to take advantage of vertical space. In SMW you can nose dive to hit the ground... ok :geno:

The only thing SMW added that's stuck around is magikoopa and yoshi. Pretty much everything else has been thrown into the waste basket of bad ideas (poor football koopas)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Dre2Dee2 posted:

SMB3 did the flying gimmick better, the stages were better designed to take advantage of vertical space. In SMW you can nose dive to hit the ground... ok :geno:

The only thing SMW added that's stuck around is magikoopa and yoshi. Pretty much everything else has been thrown into the waste basket of bad ideas (poor football koopas)

Chargin Chuck is in Mario 3D World. As are the acorn lookin Goombas.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Looper posted:

Before, you could only throw fireballs in one direction, now, you can throw fireballs in two directions.

The fire flower kinda sucks in most of the 2D Mario games, and all of the 3D ones. It's really good in SMB1 and 2J, mostly because it's great for underwater stages and they didn't have any alternate powerups, but you still went back to small Mario if you got hit. SML2's one was decent because the fireballs were pretty big, and it let you break certain blocks.

They need to have autoaim in the 3D games, because it's just annoying to line up perfectly with the enemy. It also means you won't be hitting the top of the flagpole in some levels.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Git gud son.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I'm sorry, you're all wrong. :colbert:
Super Mario Brothers is the best of all Mario games, and everything which came after is but a pale shadow of its greatness.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

HJE-Cobra posted:

I'm calling bullshit on that. No way even Bowser's dumb rear end would keep half of those chucklefucks on the payroll if they weren't his.

Bowser knocked someone else up and all the original kids are taking second stage to this new rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I thought Bowser Jr. was literally Bowser HIMSELF, just as a baby... like his infant time traveled to the present for whatever insane reason.

• Locked thread