Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I thought Bowser Jr. was literally Bowser HIMSELF, just as a baby... like his infant time traveled to the present for whatever insane reason.

That's Baby Bowser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

SMB3 did the flying gimmick better, the stages were better designed to take advantage of vertical space. In SMW you can nose dive to hit the ground... ok :geno:

The only thing SMW added that's stuck around is magikoopa and yoshi. Pretty much everything else has been thrown into the waste basket of bad ideas (poor football koopas)

In one of the Butter Bridge levels, you can fly through the whole thing then, get this, pull off a sick nose-dive-into-upswing-180-backdraft and go underneath the goal post, allowing you to find the second goal post and access super top secret Soda Lake, the final piece of the Mario World food puzzle.

You can also puss out and use Yoshi I guess but eh

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I thought Bowser Jr. was literally Bowser HIMSELF, just as a baby... like his infant time traveled to the present for whatever insane reason.

Jesus christ. Is this what passes as lore mastery these days?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
actually, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World are both pretty great games

I firmly believe that the Game Boy Advance is the best system because it allows me to portable play 90% of the best SNES games.

additionally I believe that the koopa kids are 500x better than bowser jr but I also grew up in the 90's so I am biased. (I'm still right though)

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Phenotype posted:

Look dude, those things were confusing. Go through this door, go down a hallway, go through another door, wtf we're back at the same place. Hit a block, oh, there's a door open at the other end of the hallway that you don't know about, whoops, it already closed. That poo poo was aggravating when you're a 12-year-old and you just want to go through the level with the run button held down.

The ghost houses make a lot more sense once you realize they were an allegory for US preemptive aggression during the cold war era.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Super Mario World sucked a big one, OP. You can tell they were planning something big for NES but then rushed some heap of junk out the door to promote the SNES, with new "features" designed to promote the new hardware. It didn't work, and that much is evident to anyone with a basic understanding of game design.

The craziest part is that Rare had years to learn from Miyamoto's mistakes but Donkey Kong Country still sucked.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

What was the first wario game on the first gameboy where you could get dragon hats and jetpack hats, that owned.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Pound_Coin posted:

What was the first wario game on the first gameboy where you could get dragon hats and jetpack hats, that owned.

That sounds more like the Virtual Boy Wario Land game.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That sounds more like the Virtual Boy Wario Land game.

Those hats were also in the first gameboy game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Super Mario World sucked a big one, OP. You can tell they were planning something big for NES but then rushed some heap of junk out the door to promote the SNES, with new "features" designed to promote the new hardware. It didn't work, and that much is evident to anyone with a basic understanding of game design.

You think this forum is your toilet? You think you can just walk in here and post like its some fucky fyad thing and walk away? No it doesn't work that way man. You're going to be neck deep in poo poo when I'm done with you.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The craziest part is that Rare had years to learn from Miyamoto's mistakes but Donkey Kong Country still sucked.

Spin jumps, somersaults...it's like they were trying to copy someone way-past-cooler...

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

They're the pinnacle of the SNES and are better designed than any Mario game.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Atmus posted:

I'm calling bullshit on that. No way even Bowser's dumb rear end would keep half of those chucklefucks on the payroll if they weren't his.

Bowser knocked someone else up and all the original kids are taking second stage to this new rear end in a top hat.

Hey, don't look at me, talk to Miyamoto himself.
http://www.screwattack.com/news/koopalings-are-not-related-bowser

bonzibuddy64 posted:

And yes we all know how much you love Donkey Kong Country

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

HJE-Cobra posted:

And yes we all know how much you love Donkey Kong Country

How is criticism of SMW related in any way to DKC?

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

I really love Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins. :D I have fond memories playing that on the GBC years ago.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This is the most wrong god drat opinion

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cubey posted:

super mario world is an excellent game
super mario 3 is an excellent game
this is not an excellent thread

as much as I love DKC it did not have secret exits to secret towns, SMW is superior to DKC. how can you compare a game with secret towns and a secret level called Top Secret to DKC

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

as much as I love DKC it did not have secret exits to secret towns, SMW is superior to DKC. how can you compare a game with secret towns and a secret level called Top Secret to DKC

The DKC games have tons of secrets but its all boring crap.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

elf help book posted:

The DKC games have tons of secrets but its all boring crap.

every dkc secret is "oh you walked backwards from the beginning, oh you went through a wall you didn't know you could walk through, oh this isn't really a pit but it's a bonus stage" and it just gives you 1ups.

to be fair dkc2 does this a lot but also adds a lot more poo poo and actually had a supersecret world with secret currency, so dkc2 definitely did it better. I hate dkc3 but there's even more ridiculous secret poo poo in that one, so the series did get better.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm surprised nobody explained this

the spin jump is there so that every kid who played SMB on the NES has that moment when they first play where they go to jump over a pit, press what they think is the jump button, and instead of Mario leaping the gap he does this little spin thing right into it. It's funny as hell.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I played DKC Returns recently and I was actually getting annoyed when I would find a secret room with a dumb timed minigame to earn a puzzle piece I don't care about.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

elf help book posted:

I played DKC Returns recently and I was actually getting annoyed when I would find a secret room with a dumb timed minigame to earn a puzzle piece I don't care about.

Sounds like you're brain dead.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Sounds like you're brain dead.

Go jerk off to Candy Kong, you little poo poo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Candy Kong?

:greenangel:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I wish Nintendo had stuck with the big sprawling level style from SMB3/SMW, all the NSMB games feel way more limited in scope. SMB3/SMW felt epic as gently caress

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Yoshi's Island on SNES is better than SMW in every way. Graphics, soundtrack, presentation, mini-games... loving owns. It's SMW 2 in name only, but it's still fantastic. They just haven't been able to capture the magic of the game since despite numerous tries

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yoshi's Island on SNES is better than SMW in every way. Graphics, soundtrack, presentation, mini-games... loving owns. It's SMW 2 in name only, but it's still fantastic. They just haven't been able to capture the magic of the game since despite numerous tries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qkrKTAOv2M

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Donkey Kong games are just nintendo making sonic games but without the "gotta go fast" stuff that really never meant anything gameplay wise.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

I'll drive to Japan and call bullshit right in his loving face then, I don't care.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mario has a spin jump so he can break blocks below him, op.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
So long gay Bowser

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Mario has a spin jump so he can break blocks below him, op.

Did butt stomps not exist back then?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Effective sound design :v:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Great Giana Sisters was the only good mario game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This is your punishment for being bad.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why the heck not, OP.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Shut the gently caress up and never speak again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

elf help book posted:

Did butt stomps not exist back then?

Yoshi and Wario were doing it way before Mario.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
op, i agree. smb 3 was the best mario by far, minus the levels where the sun tries to kill you. gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dr Pepper posted:

This is your punishment for being bad.
Protip: Turn the volume down.
Proertip: Improve.

• Locked thread