Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
While we have all the Mario experts here, is there a better easter egg in any Mario game than this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUy8mGL4UQI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yoshi's Island on SNES is better than SMW in every way. Graphics, soundtrack, presentation, mini-games... loving owns. It's SMW 2 in name only, but it's still fantastic. They just haven't been able to capture the magic of the game since despite numerous tries

Someone with sense

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Superrodan posted:

While we have all the Mario experts here, is there a better easter egg in any Mario game than this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUy8mGL4UQI

I didn't know Yoshi's Island had a secret Unregistered HyperCam 2 mode.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

And does anyone like the ribbon-cutting thing at the end of every level, or any of the switch palace junk, or 90% of the levels between Vanilla Dome and Bowser Valley? SMB3 is a much better game.

if you don't like yellow switch palace you are a fake gamer

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
SMW is the very first instance of the next-gen version of a franchise being totally inferior and lacking compared to the previous entry. Better graphics and sound. Worse everything else. Nintendo got away with it too, which is why COD, Halo, and Final Fantasy get away with it today.

Less environments, inferior powerups, and a gimmick (Yoshi) to make you forget about it being worse than 3. I just don't think they were on their A Game with that one like they were with Zelda 3, Super Metroid, and SMW 2.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
What was the deal with Star World 1 where you could fall through the bottom of the level if you had a cape and broke blocks going sideways?

Dr. Furious fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 16, 2014

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Dr. Furious posted:

What was the deal with Star World 1 where you could fall through the bottom of the level if you had a cape and broke blocks going sideways?

Remember how ducking under bricks and then standing up in Mario 1 led to them pushing you along until you reached an open area?
Same thing, but caused by the game only being able to handle 4 rotating blocks at a time, so that if you spun too many at once the ones Mario was passing through would stop spinning and have their collision re-enabled. You then get pushed along until you reach empty space, which in this case is the inside of the wall just past its collision barrier.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Super Mario World was great, games are fun. Get coins, save princesses, embrace inevitable death. It's all good, haters vacate.

Edit: the spin jump was sure pretty unhelpful though.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Cubey posted:

The only suit worth caring about from SM3 was the frog suit. Which they should totally bring back, by the way.

It's not exactly a suit, but the shoe is worth mentioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n-jtXDqys4&t=26s

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

bigass jncos posted:

So long gay Bowser

What was Mario trying to really say here? Because every single time I threw Bowser, all I heard was "So long gay Bowser" really clearly. Like, the VA was trying to say that.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

New Super Mario Bros' Penguin Suit is basically the frog suit in all but name.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

New Super Mario Bros' Penguin Suit is basically the frog suit in all but name.

It's much better out of water, since you can still move normally, you don't slip on ice, and it also acts as an ice flower.

The regular swimming controls in that series are pretty poo poo though. In SMW, you could hold up or down to influence how much you rise with each tap of the jump button, so you could either rise very quickly without having to mash it, or rise very slowly to swim past obstacles more precisely.

Anyway, Newer SMB is pretty great, but autoscrolling levels aren't. It's not so bad in SMB3 when there aren't any special coins to collect though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can move normally in the frog suit if you are holding something.

Discount Viscount posted:

Remember how ducking under bricks and then standing up in Mario 1 led to them pushing you along until you reached an open area?
Same thing, but caused by the game only being able to handle 4 rotating blocks at a time, so that if you spun too many at once the ones Mario was passing through would stop spinning and have their collision re-enabled. You then get pushed along until you reach empty space, which in this case is the inside of the wall just past its collision barrier.
At some point it murders you if you hold down the button long enough and you are off screen.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

They should learn more form SML2 (and SML3 for that matter), real gems of the series that have somehow been lost in between the M64 variants and the SMB3 reimaginings.

In fact the Gameboy had both my favourite Mario entry and favourite Zelda entry. Galaxy has taken the throne for the Mario series now, but I haven't enjoyed any of the later Zelda games quite as much as Awakening.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Nition posted:

It's not exactly a suit, but the shoe is worth mentioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n-jtXDqys4&t=26s

The most recent Mario game has the shoe but it's an ice skate now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Orange Crush Rush posted:

What was Mario trying to really say here? Because every single time I threw Bowser, all I heard was "So long gay Bowser" really clearly. Like, the VA was trying to say that.

So longy bowser.

Causa hesa italiano anda adda vowele toa everythingy

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Thanka you so mucha for to playing my game-a

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The most recent Mario game has the shoe but it's an ice skate now.
Does it turn into a double skate if you collect two of them?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That's exactly what he was trying to say.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bowser was so upset by this attack on his macho virility that he proceeded to have a kid for the next game just to spite Mario

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wonder how crazy Mario Maker will allow us to be. It just isn't a romhack without mismatched enemies and MIDI renditions of Mega Man music.

Either that, or it'll be just Kaizo levels with no ability to save state.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

I assumed So long, King Bowser.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I liked the spin jump for all the utility it has and it has bothered me that games like New Super Mario Bros. U have a spin jump but it sucks because it can't be used defensively.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder how crazy Mario Maker will allow us to be. It just isn't a romhack without mismatched enemies and MIDI renditions of Mega Man music.

Either that, or it'll be just Kaizo levels with no ability to save state.
The recent trailer had some kinda crazy poo poo like making Bullet Bill cannons shoot fountains of coins so it looks like it'll be pretty flexible.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Pablo Gigante posted:

The recent trailer had some kinda crazy poo poo like making Bullet Bill cannons shoot fountains of coins so it looks like it'll be pretty flexible.

That rage face where the dude spits out his cheerios in amazement (but in a happy way in this particular case).

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

u r mr gay

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'm going to ask my parents and see if they still have any of my notebooks when I was a kid because I used to draw oc content do not steal Mario levels

Then I'll make em in Mario Maker and make my childhood dreams come true

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Look if Bowser is allowed to drop n-bombs lets not split hairs over mild homophobia from Mario.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

That loving Sned posted:

I still love the Japanese SMB2 because it doesn't gently caress around.

loving around is the only thing that Japanese SMB2 does do. It's like a Kaizo romhack designed by developers who had no concept of what "fun" is and were so jaded by their lives as Japanese salarymen working on games 24/7 that they couldn't tell when their ideas were stupid and frustrating.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Eye of Widesauron posted:

That rage face where the dude spits out his cheerios in amazement (but in a happy way in this particular case).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aryAvSdRQgM

At 32 seconds in

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

loving around is the only thing that Japanese SMB2 does do. It's like a Kaizo romhack designed by developers who had no concept of what "fun" is and were so jaded by their lives as Japanese salarymen working on games 24/7 that they couldn't tell when their ideas were stupid and frustrating.

Yeah but the regular Super Mario Bros. is so easy. This game's only really challenging if you play as Luigi, otherwise it's nowhere near most other NES games.

Besides, there are tricks like getting a 1-up at the flagpole if your coins are a multiple of 11 and the timer's last digit matches it. For instance, you can have 00 coins on 1-1 and 1-2 and touch the flagpole when the timer ends in 0 and get a 1-up, and in 1-3 you can't avoid the coins so you make sure you get 11.

Even if you run out of lives you can just continue from the world you died in as many times as you want. The All-Stars version is much easier because you can save at each level, and start with 5 lives rather than 3. However, if you've only beaten that version I'm afraid you're not SUPER PLAYER.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

They knew their ideas were stupid and frustrating. That's why they ended up in the game. If you're an overworked japanese salaryman wouldn't you want to inflict some pain on the players?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah but the regular Super Mario Bros. is so easy. This game's only really challenging if you play as Luigi, otherwise it's nowhere near most other NES games.

yes tell me more about nes games, mr. thinks luigi controls differently than mario in SMB on nes.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
You ask them, you want ice cream cone? Only Mario says yes. How in the hell.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

yes tell me more about nes games, mr. thinks luigi controls differently than mario in SMB on nes.

By 'this game' I meant The Lost Levels, I only brought the first game in to say how easy it is after playing it so much.

You can also play as Lost Levels Luigi in the original game's stages if you play All Night Nippon SMB.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lost Levels is full of stupid bullshit because the Japanese audience loved stupid bullshit and a lot of people were damaging their Famicoms in an attempt to find minus world glitches.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Warioland 4 on the GBA is an overlooked classic.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The 1993 Mario movie really missed out by not finding an excuse to cram Bob Hoskins into a giant shoe or make him wear a fursuit

Turning the giant fish monster into a fat black woman into rough trade almost made up for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Who's to say they wouldn't do a reboot? Everything seems like it's getting a reboot now. Except Reboot.

• Locked thread