Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Amazing, it looks like the developers completely ignored all the poo poo suggestions on their forums and only made changes that would disrupt the status quo and help out newbies. This scenario is only going to run for 2 weeks unfortunately, but it seems like a good idea given how the last scenario was a forgone conclusion within 9 days. I'm guessing future scenarios will run longer and have less downtime if this one turns out to be successful. I've started up a ShoutWiki for the next scenario with a few guides, and I'll post a village plan and other useful information later. If you want access to the wiki, you'll need to create a ShoutWiki account and post the username in this thread so I can add you manually.

Also I'd like to hear some opinions on our choice of kingdom for this scenario. I think we should give Jenn-Kellon a shot - the kinds of players that will likely join Jenn-Kellon will give us less trouble than the members of any other kingdom, and they'll be easier to control if we want to organize a ghetto village of pubbie conscript allies or whatever. Also larger kingdoms will get more of an advantage now that everyone starts with 70 fighting skill. Here's a short list of the pros and cons to each kingdom:

Jenn-Kellon
Pros: Likely to be the largest kingdom; least likely to have players with massive egos
Cons: Probably will have the largest number of spy alts, clueless newbies, and rejects without a village

Mol-Rehan
Pros: Likely to be the most organized kingdom and have the most experienced players
Cons: Probably will have a lot of spergs with massive egos; has most of the players that raided us in the last scenario

Horde of the Summoned
Pros: Unique blacklighter magic and abilities; we can attack other kingdom members without penalty if they annoy us
Cons: Only one deity; probably will be completely full of spergs with DotA-level egos; probably will be the smallest kingdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

There will be no PMKs allowed for this round.

oh thank god

also @ Ziggy Starfucker can i just host an actual wiki because i don't like looking at even more ads

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Biowarfare posted:

also @ Ziggy Starfucker can i just host an actual wiki because i don't like looking at even more ads

I don't see any ads on ShoutWiki but I don't have any particular attachment to it either, if you can set up your own wiki with a better invitation system then I'll move all the guides over there instead.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Are you in the steam chat?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Biowarfare posted:

Are you in the steam chat?

Yeah I'll start idling there now so we can plan stuff out

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Is it all fighting related skills (archery, fighting subskills, and weapons), or JUST fighting?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Justin Tyme posted:

Is it all fighting related skills (archery, fighting subskills, and weapons), or JUST fighting?

Looks like it's just overall fighting skill that starts at 70, all others will start at 21. Fortunately you can get 90 effective weapon and shield skills within 2 hours by AFKing in a suit of armor while a horse kicks you. Also you don't lose weapon and shield skills from dying in PvP, so you won't have to grind it again for the rest of the scenario. If we can set up a horse-kicking dojo quickly it might give us an advantage in early PvP fights.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If it hasn't been determined yet i'm throwing in a vote for anything-but-HOTS.

JK seems like a great way to get pubbies on our side (or they can act as a wall of meatbags to delay incoming invaders). I think some possible ineptitude is preferable to dealing with spergs again. Winning is cool and all but a victory next round might not be worth it if we have to deal with insufferable, infighting and meltdown-prone allies the whole way through. If we wanna go that route, then probably MR would be better. HOTS benefit of attacking allies is nice but I think we learned early on last scenario that we can't make enemies just because.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Avocados posted:

If it hasn't been determined yet i'm throwing in a vote for anything-but-HOTS.

JK seems like a great way to get pubbies on our side (or they can act as a wall of meatbags to delay incoming invaders). I think some possible ineptitude is preferable to dealing with spergs again. Winning is cool and all but a victory next round might not be worth it if we have to deal with insufferable, infighting and meltdown-prone allies the whole way through. If we wanna go that route, then probably MR would be better. HOTS benefit of attacking allies is nice but I think we learned early on last scenario that we can't make enemies just because.

my favourite was the completely batshit bipolar village leader where we somehow adopted two villages worth of pubbies and lost them within 12 hours

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Biowarfare posted:

my favourite was the completely batshit bipolar village leader where we somehow adopted two villages worth of pubbies and lost them within 12 hours

Not before he build himself a huge house on our deed.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Looks like it's just overall fighting skill that starts at 70, all others will start at 21. Fortunately you can get 90 effective weapon and shield skills within 2 hours by AFKing in a suit of armor while a horse kicks you. Also you don't lose weapon and shield skills from dying in PvP, so you won't have to grind it again for the rest of the scenario. If we can set up a horse-kicking dojo quickly it might give us an advantage in early PvP fights.

How can you get weapon skill this way? Wouldn't you kill the horse?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Justin Tyme posted:

How can you get weapon skill this way? Wouldn't you kill the horse?

I think he meant to say that we'd get a leg up defense-wise from the horse dojo. Initially you target the horse that way it starts kicking/biting you, then you target a distant, out of reach creature that way you don't retaliate to the horse attacks. You can tab out and do other things while the horse fruitlessly attacks you and your def skill skyrockets.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Avocados posted:

I think he meant to say that we'd get a leg up defense-wise from the horse dojo. Initially you target the horse that way it starts kicking/biting you, then you target a distant, out of reach creature that way you don't retaliate to the horse attacks. You can tab out and do other things while the horse fruitlessly attacks you and your def skill skyrockets.

So you'd parry and get weapon skill? I never considered parrying as a means to raise weapon skill, would you still parry when defending attacks if you weren't targeting the thing attacking you?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Justin Tyme posted:

So you'd parry and get weapon skill? I never considered parrying as a means to raise weapon skill, would you still parry when defending attacks if you weren't targeting the thing attacking you?

Yeah you'll get shield skill from blocking (shields are super important in mass PvP for when the entire enemy team targets you) and you'll get weapon skill from parrying. And you also gain fighting stance skill, although sometimes that gets bugged out and you have to switch to another horse. I'm writing up a guide on that on our new private wiki. You can request a wiki account from the signup page and I'll verify it later. Also I'll move everything over to a new thread in the MMO HMO soon, and I'm taking suggestions for thread tiles. I"m thinking maybe "Wurm Online - We will never add black people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
The Games forum is moving way too fast for this thread, so here's a new one in the MMO HMO:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698417

• Locked thread