Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Hello again friends. We had one of these at the mid year point and now that 2014 is almost over, I'd like to do another to find out how things are going and maybe identify some more stuff we need to work on. Gonna go over a couple things first and then we can get started.

1. Reports/punishments are still down - Aside from the period a couple of months ago where it seemed like a lot of people had reverted back to reporting every dumbass little minor infraction that they could find, reports are at a pretty good level. There are never really more than 10 a day, and while 90% of those reports are still bullshit, it's nice to know that people are learning to be a lot better about recognizing that posts they don't like doesn't mean that the poster has to take a vacation for a set amount of time because of it. As far as punishments go, for example, 8 total probations were handed out in the month of November in Games, two of which were to a repeat offender/crazy person. I like that

2. Imp Zone IKs are now Imp Zone mods rather than IKs - Pretty excited about this one. Zen Death Robot and Zoq-Fag-Win have shown that they are pretty level headed and fully capable of handling intense responsibilities of being a SA forums mod like doing almost nothing and dinging The Taint Reaper with 6h probations when he makes bad pizza jokes.

3. More thread stickies - This is one that I've tried to be more active with but I can definitely use a lot more help with it. I've tried to pay attention to release dates or big news or steam holiday gifting events and stick those threads accordingly to get more participation or attention to them. If you think a noteworthy event is happening for a particular game or something to that effect, never hesitate to send us a PM or even report the OP of that thread and put the reasoning in the report reason if you want and we'll try to get it taken care of.

4. Megathreads issue - This has been brought up in the past couple of these that I've done and I want to let you know that Lowtax has been working on something that may change how megathreads work in a sort of post highlighting/kind of but not exactly upvote system. I'll let you know more on this when I hear more from the big man about it.

Alright thats all I got for now. Post your thoughts/concerns/whatevers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for dunking the Senran Kagura thread.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
The October Kids fundraising thread thing that is stickied could probably be unstickied. It's been over a month since anyone has posted in it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I should be mod of the xbox one thread.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Move all MOBA threads to a new subforum or Blizzard games or BYOB.

I like the stickies in Games lately. Good stuff.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bring back animated fat magikoopa

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Make more MOBA threads and put the Hots one in games

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I would like to nominate FruitNYogurtParfait, Ullerrm and/or Eonwe as IK's of the MMO HMO.

They all have an actual understanding of MMO'S and play them often; they're also active posters and some of the more sane people there. They also have a sense of humor, all three of them.

Eye of Widesauron fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 7, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I would like to nominate Widestancer and Black Baby Goku. The MMO HMO community enjoys their presence, and they have a positive effect.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Kewpuh posted:

3. More thread stickies If you think a noteworthy event is happening for a particular game or something to that effect, never hesitate to send us a PM or even report the OP of that thread and put the reasoning in the report reason if you want and we'll try to get it taken care of.

Can you make this particular rule it's own sticky for about a month just to raise awareness? Thanks!

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Heran Bago posted:

Thanks for dunking the Senran Kagura thread.

This, but kinda ironically; the threads were really bad, but the Senran Kagura series is basically the modern citizen kane of gaming

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

While I only lurk Imp zone, I do agree that Zen death robot and Zoq-fot-piq are doing a very good job moderating it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Goat posted:

I would like to nominate Widestancer and Black Baby Goku. The MMO HMO community enjoys their presence, and they have a positive effect.

a MMO HMO under these two would actually be really good, I'm glad you feel the same way

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Not really gonna do IKs for MMO HMO. I get that some of you think that some posters in the forum take poo poo way too seriously or sometimes might be total loving retards with regards to things like underage sex or e-stalking, but that's an incredibly small sample of the entire userbase that regularly posts there. That's a type of forum that would not benefit from "spicing things up" which is what the entire purpose of an IK is. It's a forum centered around specific types of threads unlike GBS or fyad-lites where IKs have a lot more opportunity to do cool things.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

Not really gonna do IKs for MMO HMO. I get that some of you think that some posters in the forum take poo poo way too seriously or sometimes might be total loving retards with regards to things like underage sex or e-stalking, but that's an incredibly small sample of the entire userbase that regularly posts there. That's a type of forum that would not benefit from "spicing things up" which is what the entire purpose of an IK is. It's a forum centered around specific types of threads unlike GBS or fyad-lites where IKs have a lot more opportunity to do cool things.

I think GBS caters to specific types of threads namely really bad ones but I definitely see your point here.

I'm glad reports are down and things are going well.

Also what happened to your AV?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
:tipshat:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Widestancer posted:

I think GBS caters to specific types of threads namely really bad ones but I definitely see your point here.

I'm glad reports are down and things are going well.

Also what happened to your AV?

somebody bought it for me i guess. that or an admin stealth changed it without using the mod queue (not sure if thats possible or not actually). i'm of the belief that if someone spends 10 bucks on these forums to change someones avatar that they should get their moneys worth so i'm stuck with it for like a week or whatever.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Suggestion: for the holidays have a gaming themed name change thread.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Widestancer posted:

This would probably end up being a hilarious disaster.

I'm all for it!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

This, but kinda ironically; the threads were really bad, but the Senran Kagura series is basically the modern citizen kane of gaming

I thought Bioshock Gone Home Infinite Effect 3 was the Citizen Kane of gaming

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

I thought Bioshock Gone Home Infinite Effect 3 was the Citizen Kane of gaming

You but you can't turn that title into Citizenran Kanegura.

Bagu
Mar 20, 2006

I'd like to see either Vyst or Ullerrm modded as both high-class non-bickering posters. Every time the Imp Zone crew invades my precious EvE thread to troll over dead and burried topics, it takes pages to get back on topic (in a thread that gets a lit of posts under non troll-seige times).
Having one of our good regulars there to give a 6-hour timeout to head off the derail train would be preferable to seeing dozens of quotes of bait posts.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
no one that plays eve should ever have an authority position here because they have mental issues imo

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
What's the community size trend over the year? Are we growing, shrinking, or staying about the same?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Widestancer posted:

Better yet, somebody just give me a name change cert for free.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Which threads generate the most reports? I mean, I can probably guess but if there's a funny one like if the dudes in the Eurotruck thread are actually venomous assholes, I'd love to hear about it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like the av, Kewpuh.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Bagu posted:

I'd like to see either Vyst or Ullerrm modded as both high-class non-bickering posters. Every time the Imp Zone crew invades my precious EvE thread to troll over dead and burried topics, it takes pages to get back on topic (in a thread that gets a lit of posts under non troll-seige times).
Having one of our good regulars there to give a 6-hour timeout to head off the derail train would be preferable to seeing dozens of quotes of bait posts.

I solemnly swear that if I get modded, I will do absolutely nothing. Other than repeatedly probating Bagu.

Every time the Imp Zone crew invades the Eve thread, they get at least one idiot who bites on the world's most obvious bait, and it's a little funny. As long as they keep it to just a few pages and aren't spamming NSFW or racial slur poo poo, it's not exactly the end of the world. (God forbid someone's monocle pop out.)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zombie Samurai posted:

Which threads generate the most reports? I mean, I can probably guess but if there's a funny one like if the dudes in the Eurotruck thread are actually venomous assholes, I'd love to hear about it.

Last feedback I saw on this was that it was the Dota 2 thread by far, to the point where it would be more fair to consider it its own category.

ullerrm posted:

I solemnly swear that if I get modded, I will do absolutely nothing. Other than repeatedly probating Bagu.

I'll take two.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Kewpuh posted:

Not really gonna do IKs for MMO HMO.

thank god

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Captain Toad is a pretty fun game. There you have it, the state of games for December 2014.

It's kind of problematic in that Toadette gets kidnapped and has to be rescued though

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Brackhar posted:

What's the community size trend over the year? Are we growing, shrinking, or staying about the same?

I'd also like to hear this, it's not something I had really thought about before but now I'm interested.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Brackhar posted:

Not great, honestly. Peaks at around 1400 but average is down about ~100 users from this point last year. Posts are down, as well as guests, but I don't know if the guests being down is due to paywall or not. This is also just for Games itself, doesn't include the subforums under it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Widestancer posted:

This.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Heran Bago posted:

This and/or make a subforum for watching stuff (eg tournaments, charity events, etc). Feels weird seeing two DOTA or LoL threads on the same page.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Free the Giant Bomb thread!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

change my loving avatar

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

change my loving avatar

How do you feel about hot dog hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux