Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Reiche posted:

This episode was awesome and this show is too. It took a bit for it to grow on me but it's been just one good episode after another.

Also, bad things need to stop happening to Leon :smith:

This is really not the right episode to say this, considering the ending, is it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Haha, yeah I'll give him that one :haw:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Don't worry, I'm sure there's more bad things coming Leon's (and Ema's) way soon. I mean, he's got a dead girlfriend he's almost certainly not over, and she's got a dead husband who basically killed himself trying to save the unsaveable. There's no way this can possibly go wrong.

Also, there's very high odds that he's a child of rape, what with the markings and all, and finding that out would play merry hell with his big weird Oedipal Madonna/whore complex.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In which Zaruba helpfully points out one of the absolute most awkward aspects of being a Makai Knight.

I like Octavia. She's the kind of crazy you have to respect. Mendoza giving his underling a genuinely useful, reliable tame Horror was classy, too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This episode only got me more interested in what the hell Mendoza is planning. His own actions make him sound like he's still absolutely evil and working entirely for his own goals, but Garm sent German to protect him and, most importantly, German seems to be absolutely serious about protecting him, the man responsible for killing his wife.

Also Octavia's plan to not get found was actually really clever. She's willing to go to some serious lengths to protect Mendoza. Poor Laura.

Also I've been listening to the ending over and over, god that's a good song.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah this was a pretty great episode. I very much enjoyed Octavia's quiet battle of wits with the protagonists. She managed to outsmart them without it ever feeling cheap and sacrificed a lot without hesitation to do so.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Why didn't Octavia just have the horror rough her up instead of biting off her leg? Seems like overkill :anime:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

She had one of Emma's stings attached to her.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Guyver posted:

She had one of Emma's stings attached to her.

Doi thanks. I feel like a dunce for missing that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't expect most of it to stick, but dang. That episode.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Both this episode and the last (which I had missed, whoops) have been really pretty in comparison to the usual. End series budget is always a wonderful thing.

Also holy poo poo things keep ramping up, this really is an awesome Garo show. I'm surprised how useful Ema keeps being, even now she was vital in the fight against Octavia and even dealt the final blow.

Now to see how much of this episode sticks. At the very least, I fully expect German to be dead. RIP best character. I doubt Ema and Alfonso are dead, though I have to wonder if the Gaia armour will still be usable considering it was completely destroyed.

Next episode has the same name as the first ending. Not too sure what this means but it's an interesting detail.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
GARO and Kill la Kill - two shows in which making out with a hot older woman has the exact opposite effect on the likelihood of you losing your way.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Show was good. The only other Garo I've seen is the first toku series (and I was disappointed that neither of theme songs in this wowed me like Savior in the Dark), but I'm starting to really enjoy the broader concept of angry wolf armor (which I've added to my lexicon alongside "karate bug men").

I think my favorite touch visually was that the mouth on the armor only moves to snarl. It's a nice shorthand for poo poo'S GETTING REAL RIGHT ABOUT NOW.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MEDITATING ON A ROCK LETTING GO OF THE EGO

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

Show was good. The only other Garo I've seen is the first toku series (and I was disappointed that neither of theme songs in this wowed me like Savior in the Dark), but I'm starting to really enjoy the broader concept of angry wolf armor (which I've added to my lexicon alongside "karate bug men").

I think my favorite touch visually was that the mouth on the armor only moves to snarl. It's a nice shorthand for poo poo'S GETTING REAL RIGHT ABOUT NOW.

And if it outright howls, that's the visual shorthand for oh my god run like hell.

Finale gave me serious Asura's Wrath vibes. There was something weirdly satisfying about seeing Mendoza effortlessly punk Anima like that - nice to see a mad scientist do the proper homework for his 'summon giant murderous god-beast to grant me immortality' plan. Good to see one of the Best Characters make it out alive, too.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I really liked the ending (maybe it came off especially well seeing I watched it after the train wreck of the disappointment express - Aldnoah.Zero's final ep).

The show developed really well, and the second season definitely delivered on building Leon up from the conclusion of season 1.

Garo seems like it was a pretty modest production, but it still managed to be solid. And there were plenty of animation highs between the CGI - like the vampire dogfight. The fantastic soundtrack helped too.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
It was a good show. I think I enjoyed the penultimate episode more than the finale. The Octavia fight with running on the beams captured the spirit of the toku show, while the finale felt rushed.

The new toku starts next week. It is a sequel to The One Who Shines in the Darkness. Ryuga is my least favorite Garo, but I'll still probably watch it. I hope they have the same choreographer as The Makai Flower. Raiga had some of the coolest moves in the franchise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhl-nVQQ6yk

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll probably watch it, but after how bad The One Who Shines in the Darkness was, I expect nothing good from it. Just more in your face constant fanservice, entirely misused and ignored characters, a bad plot and little to no use of the armours.

I'm just waiting for more Raiga, since that was actually good. Hell, I'd take a sequel to this anime too, I actually really enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hocus Pocus posted:

Garo seems like it was a pretty modest production, but it still managed to be solid. And there were plenty of animation highs between the CGI - like the vampire dogfight. The fantastic soundtrack helped too.

Animation from a no-name studio which somehow manages to surpass top studios is always interesting. Unless it's DEEN and we can just all go home early instead.

I thought it going to a anime movie not a live-action one? Now I feel somewhat disappointed and not interested as much. I did like how the S2 made sense chronologically-speaking as it just didn't drop us decades into the future or some sub-plot.

Also, I want a spin-off with Alphonso and Leon going on quests now :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alder posted:

Animation from a no-name studio which somehow manages to surpass top studios is always interesting. Unless it's DEEN and we can just all go home early instead.

I thought it going to a anime movie not a live-action one? Now I feel somewhat disappointed and not interested as much. I did like how the S2 made sense chronologically-speaking as it just didn't drop us decades into the future or some sub-plot.

Also, I want a spin-off with Alphonso and Leon going on quests now :v:

MAPPA has a rep - they're where all of Madhouse's good animators went off to, and they did animation powerhouses like Terror in Resonance and Rage of Bahamut.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hocus Pocus posted:

I really liked the ending (maybe it came off especially well seeing I watched it after the train wreck of the disappointment express - Aldnoah.Zero's final ep).

The show developed really well, and the second season definitely delivered on building Leon up from the conclusion of season 1.

this wasn't the second season, this was all one season. another season of garo anime is coming soon

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

grrarg posted:

It was a good show. I think I enjoyed the penultimate episode more than the finale. The Octavia fight with running on the beams captured the spirit of the toku show, while the finale felt rushed.

The new toku starts next week. It is a sequel to The One Who Shines in the Darkness. Ryuga is my least favorite Garo, but I'll still probably watch it. I hope they have the same choreographer as The Makai Flower. Raiga had some of the coolest moves in the franchise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhl-nVQQ6yk

That trailer is for the GOLD STORM movie, not the show that started today (which is also called GOLD STORM).

The show has Masahiro Inoue celebrating the tenth year of GARO, or put another way Decade to celebrate a decade. Also Amemiya is actually involved this time, unlike Ryuga's first outing, so there's that.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 4, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The first episode of GOLDSTORM does not give much reason to hope it will be better than The One Who Shines in the Darkness. Ryuga and Rian still cannot act, and the horror CGI was just terrible. I'll probably keep watching to see what the main plot is. The performances and awful sidekick knights dragged The One Who Shines in the Darkness down, but I still think it had the best premise of any GARO show.

Thanks for subbing it Azrael and crew.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, live action garo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't say the first episode was pretty impressive either. Ryuga's still boring, the armour is still used for a single strike at the end, there's parts that make no sense (Rian shoots a tentacle and the monster goes back to human form off-screen...why?), but at least it seems Zaruba will have more of a role this time. Also no sidekick knights, but considering how badly the previous series used them, that might be for the best.

It's not like it matters anyways, the destroyer of worlds has arrived. Goodbye World of Garo.

• Locked thread