Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I had a toddler get mad at his mom about... something and it left a lingering grudge that had them both getting negative moods whenever they were in the same room together until that toddler was nearly a teen, even though their actual relationship levels were high and I made sure their interactions were positive.

I think the lifestyles in Snowy Escapes are worse though. It's an interesting idea, but implemented weirdly. I wouldn't consider my Sim a workaholic just because I make them go to work on their work days. And now they're tense whenever they're not at work and constantly trying to sneak off to work even on their days off? Great. Thanks, game. (At least the aspiration reward to clear these things out is cheap.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Julet Esqu posted:

I think the lifestyles in Snowy Escapes are worse though. It's an interesting idea, but implemented weirdly. I wouldn't consider my Sim a workaholic just because I make them go to work on their work days. And now they're tense whenever they're not at work and constantly trying to sneak off to work even on their days off? Great. Thanks, game. (At least the aspiration reward to clear these things out is cheap.)

My guy has eaten nothing but chips and cookies for a straight week and hasn't even unlocked the junk food one, I don't understand

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

eating only apples posted:

My guy has eaten nothing but chips and cookies for a straight week and hasn't even unlocked the junk food one, I don't understand

Error: Username/post mismatch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

eating only apples posted:

Congrats, you've raised a goon

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I think part of the problem with the Workaholic lifestyle in particular is that it's too easy to do well in your career in Sims 4 anyways, so if you're reasonably successful at your job, I feel like you get it even if your sim just goes to work and levels up skills normally. It didn't even mesh well with the Salaryperson career IMHO because my sim would just get so stressed and depressed.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/bblloooodd/status/1198526304221585408

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Mmm, that's some good clutterin'.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Tangentially on-topic, a former gameplay engineer on The Sims 4 has a new life-sim game in early access today: Wobbledogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKkS7IGIRpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIN5tmgF9BM

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

SimsVIP apparently has started an article series detailing what went wrong with the development of Sims 4. Haven't read much of the first part yet but apparently from what I've seen people comment it's pretty much just detailing what you'd expect/what we mostly know - i.e. EA pushing hard for "social" gaming and an online-only game like SimCity 2013 plus mismanagement at lower levels of the company.

Really I just hope that EA's CEO or whoever once again talking about social experiences and expanding the Sims formula in that direction in whatever investor call it was some time ago just ends up being half-hearted social media integration or something. But considering it's EA I'm also seriously expecting Sims 5 to be them committing to getting hit by the bullet they barely managed to dodge last time. I just hope that if they kill the franchise, someone else scoops in and captures the market segment with an actually worthy successor.

e: As you can probably imagine since this is a Sims fansite thing, the salt levels definitely start to rise towards the end of the article

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 2, 2021

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Ruflux posted:

SimsVIP apparently has started an article series detailing what went wrong with the development of Sims 4. Haven't read much of the first part yet but apparently from what I've seen people comment it's pretty much just detailing what you'd expect/what we mostly know - i.e. EA pushing hard for "social" gaming and an online-only game like SimCity 2013 plus mismanagement at lower levels of the company.

Really I just hope that EA's CEO or whoever once again talking about social experiences and expanding the Sims formula in that direction in whatever investor call it was some time ago just ends up being half-hearted social media integration or something. But considering it's EA I'm also seriously expecting Sims 5 to be them committing to getting hit by the bullet they barely managed to dodge last time. I just hope that if they kill the franchise, someone else scoops in and captures the market segment with an actually worthy successor.

e: As you can probably imagine since this is a Sims fansite thing, the salt levels definitely start to rise towards the end of the article
there are whispers about paradox doing a thing. they've got rod humble working on a secret project. there's so much potential for a modern life df/rimworld built upon a set of more dynamic relationship, personality, and childhood/adolescent development systems.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Lol rod humble

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zane posted:

there are whispers about paradox doing a thing.

Money just leapt out of my wallet and slapped into the screen.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Lol rod humble
i mean, yeah. i remember him being originally celebrated for successfully 'gamifying' the sims 3 with the wishes system. which isn't actually a very important or interesting mechanic. and second life is of course an embarrassment. but you have to take what you can get these days.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think most eyes are on Paralives. I have my doubts an indie studio can produce a competitive life sim, but we'll see.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I would love to see Paradox's take on The Sims

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

I think most eyes are on Paralives. I have my doubts an indie studio can produce a competitive life sim, but we'll see.

I was under the impression that Paralives is basically dead in the water, they seem to have hit a real snag in between it being a cool building demo and simulating people. It's been four years and they still don't have a gameplay video where they actually play the game for more than 30 seconds in an extremely limited environment

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Chaotic Flame posted:

I would love to see Paradox's take on The Sims
Patch notes: "Taught husbands about the miracle of birth, so they no longer get a bad thought because they think their baby was sleeping with their wife."

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah, and I'll be able to play Star Citizen any day now

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

If you think the dlc structure for the sims is bad now, hoo boy can't wait for a paradox version.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
With Paradox you might get incest without mods if their Fandom has its say.

Crusader Kings fans adore their sisters. And daughters. And mothers. And brothers, sons, fathers...

And by adore I mean gently caress.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Look, it's not our fault our kids happen to have the best genetics that we want to add to our lineage. Well, okay, technically it is our fault. But it's not our fault none of the other families are doing it!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Sky Shadowing posted:

With Paradox you might get incest without mods if their Fandom has its say.

Crusader Kings fans adore their sisters. And daughters. And mothers. And brothers, sons, fathers...

And by adore I mean gently caress.

Look, if you're not trying to accurately replicate the Targaryens, I don't know how else you're supposed to play CK.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Zane posted:

i mean, yeah. i remember him being originally celebrated for successfully 'gamifying' the sims 3 with the wishes system. which isn't actually a very important or interesting mechanic. and second life is of course an embarrassment. but you have to take what you can get these days.

I don't know anything about Mr. Humble I just think it's funny his name means "small dick".

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I don't know anything about Mr. Humble I just think it's funny his name means "small dick".

It joins the humble list of two people with names that indicate their parents must've had a sense of humor, alongside Iron Maiden's manager Rod Smallwood.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I only know him as an NPC that shows up in the Free Time expansion for Sims 2.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'm not entirely sure why downloading someone's lot off the gallery was the only thing that fixed the issue of my sims all freezing up repeatedly while the rest of the world kept going around them, but I'll take it.

Also today I found out that people upload huge patches of those Strangerville spore clusters as rooms on the gallery so you can collect like 50 of them at once. Nice.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Have they fixed the gallery from completely crippling your pc when browsing while its loading up stuff?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Probabaly not since they also haven't fixed the thing where your plants evolve at insane speeds and then suddenly die one day for no reason.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Probabaly not since they also haven't fixed the thing where your plants evolve at insane speeds and then suddenly die one day for no reason.

Oh is this a bug? I thought my plants grew to harvestable really quickly, and they never need watering for some reason...

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Robot Mil posted:

Oh is this a bug? I thought my plants grew to harvestable really quickly, and they never need watering for some reason...

Gardening is just straight-up broken. It only works somewhat correctly if you spend multiple in-game days on a lot without leaving, which obviously means that any gardening-related tasks in the scientist career are impossible to complete.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, that made my vampire gardener even worse an idea than normal.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I don't understand why they don't just port the gardening system that they had from Sims 3 over. Sure it was simple but it was more functional and intuitive than any system we've ever had so far.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Agreed. I always think I'm gonna start up a Sim who never takes a career and just farms on their lot, but then I remember that the gardening system is bad. It's so goddamn tedious to fertilize each crop manually.

Ruflux posted:

Gardening is just straight-up broken. It only works somewhat correctly if you spend multiple in-game days on a lot without leaving, which obviously means that any gardening-related tasks in the scientist career are impossible to complete.

This too! The gardens in the magical realm are mostly useless for the same reason.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Anyone able to speak to farming across all Sims iterations?

From what I remember, farming/gardening in 1 (in Unleashed) was neat but I wasn't able to have anyone successfully "live off the land"- I don't remember if you were able to actually stock the food you harvested or if you were only able to sell it. (And possibly compete with it? Like if you used that fertilizer you bought from Old Town and grew a Huge Pumpkin you could win a prize?) I also remember it being a HUGE time investment to even get to that point. (and you had better get yourself a cat and hope it likes hunting because otherwise that groundhog gonna wreck your poo poo)

In 2 (Seasons) I've really enjoyed my farming sims, though again very time and labor intensive- though it does seem possible to make a living as long as you have at least one sim with a reasonable amount of gardening skill able to devote enough time every day to gardening. The fact that the harvested plants can actually be consumed and "level up" your meals so you get more fullness out of a normally low-skill dish, even if the quality of the picked food isn't great, is also a huge pro. I havent' had anyone join the gardening club yet because I hate designing poo poo and my gardens never look pretty enough to qualify lol

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There was a pantry, separate from the regular fridge, that you could stock grown food into in Unleashed, so it definitely wasn't just for selling. I have no memories of what you could actually do with the food but I imagine you could eat it? :confused: Maybe I shouldn't just assume that though.
Makin' Magic added baking that you could definitely eat, and I'm pretty sure it let you use the Unleashed ingredients for some of the recipes?
I also remember it being a huge pain in the rear end to actually do any of it, but that kind of goes for most things in Sims 1.

Wasn't farming in Seasons also just fertilize -> water daily / weed occasionally / talk to plant for bonuses -> harvest? I also enjoyed it but I don't think it was terribly involved in retrospect. I have memories of Sims 3 farming actually being pretty decent (it had the whole nectar creating stuff too) but I don't remember how it actually functioned at all.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Ahhh I remember the pantry now. I don't remember ever being able to use it- I think my sims ended up selling all their vegetables.

Koramei posted:

Wasn't farming in Seasons also just fertilize -> water daily / weed occasionally / talk to plant for bonuses -> harvest? I also enjoyed it but I don't think it was terribly involved in retrospect. I have memories of Sims 3 farming actually being pretty decent (it had the whole nectar creating stuff too) but I don't remember how it actually functioned at all.

Yes pretty much, and monitor for disease. The weeding seems to happen every day as well. Definitely not really complex, and was time consuming.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Tangentially related to gardening and busywork in the Sims: one thing I do not particularly miss from Sims 1 and 2 is having to maintain your greenery instead of it solely being decorative. I'm talking like, watering plants (indoor and outdoor at that IIRC), weeding them, etc. It was annoying as hell because having plants in need of maintenance absolutely tanked the room score and it took forever and kept happening every few days. The gardener was basically mandatory since having to keep on top of your sims' needs and the plants was just too much otherwise.

At least the PC versions didn't have breakable light bulbs like Bustin' Out, though. gently caress those. They're like the plants, but on steroids. Same room score effect, but they burn out basically daily. Enjoy having to somehow change 10 bulbs a day when you have no free time whatsoever with work, skill-building, maintaining relationships and taking care of your sim's needs.

Actually this little rant made me nostalgic for some of this annoying stuff. Sims 4 tried its best with how all the cheap poo poo breaks constantly, but it just isn't the same when you can keep repairing everything endlessly even with no handiness skill and needs are really easy to handle.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ruflux posted:

Tangentially related to gardening and busywork in the Sims: one thing I do not particularly miss from Sims 1 and 2 is having to maintain your greenery instead of it solely being decorative. I'm talking like, watering plants (indoor and outdoor at that IIRC), weeding them, etc. It was annoying as hell because having plants in need of maintenance absolutely tanked the room score and it took forever and kept happening every few days. The gardener was basically mandatory since having to keep on top of your sims' needs and the plants was just too much otherwise.

And not just garden plants or flowers, but hedges too. Every. Single. Square. Twice a week. And if the gardener's schedule meant they showed up before all of them had leafed out—or there were too many for them to finish during the 9-5—you were SOL. Plus if there was any puddle of water outside, it would quickly turn into a patch of weeds, and I can't remember but those might have even spread if left alone.

I definitely don't miss roaches, which seemed to be everywhere on the ground floor in 2, and were nearly unkillable unless you called an exterminator.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Things I don't miss from Sims1: family friend requirements for promotions while also having your sim work every day no weekends. You pretty much had to have a second sim just hanging out keeping the house from catching on fire and socializing constantly.

Things I do miss from Sims1: The nonsense weird phone calls, burglars, stuff that looked dirty/dingy and cheap. There's a few of those in eco lifestyle, but not many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Ruflux posted:

At least the PC versions didn't have breakable light bulbs like Bustin' Out, though. gently caress those. They're like the plants, but on steroids. Same room score effect, but they burn out basically daily. Enjoy having to somehow change 10 bulbs a day when you have no free time whatsoever with work, skill-building, maintaining relationships and taking care of your sim's needs.

Am I misremembering, or did the very early versions of Sims 1 force you to manually turn lights on and off? Like, your sim would go up to them and do an animation every time.

I swear that was the case but when I played Sims 1 complete a few years back it wasn't, so either I'm wrong or they patched it out at some point.