Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

EA still blue balling me on the post apocalypse expac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Is the "reverts to a dirt patch out of nowhere" bug the same as the "causes the wilting stink cloud and dies" bug?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Is the "reverts to a dirt patch out of nowhere" bug the same as the "causes the wilting stink cloud and dies" bug?

That one was fixed awhile back.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The in-game 'session' is live..and it's...well its a thing they did.

the sim you have active is the sim that gets to go. NO ONE ELSE. I had redone magnolia park so was a little worried that would have hosed it up..but no. Everything is set up in the northeast area by the fishing river. So I guess if you are anxious to hear simlish version of songs by bands I an not familiar with..now is your chance! I did buy all the t-shirts tho.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
http://www.simfreaks.com/index.php

A Sims 1 mod site with updates in 2020? :psyduck:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man those people really are a bunch of freaks :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm not entirely surprised. No more so than I was finding newly-uploaded mods for 3. There'll always be someone sticking around out of some weird loyalty.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
3 at least has a set up entirely unlike the others. 2 is the best it's been as a game and will run on any potato PC in the last 10 years, besides just being outright free on EA's store front once. I don't understand what Sims 1 gets you that 2 or 4 doesn't unless you're somehow still on a PC from 2002.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

zedprime posted:

3 at least has a set up entirely unlike the others. 2 is the best it's been as a game and will run on any potato PC in the last 10 years, besides just being outright free on EA's store front once. I don't understand what Sims 1 gets you that 2 or 4 doesn't unless you're somehow still on a PC from 2002.

Just from my own play, real easy ways to make your sims into Simpsons or Star Wars characters.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

zedprime posted:

I believe it's by far the most challenging game in the series, and successive games turn down the "realism" and "difficulty" knobs. So if you really want the crushing existentialism of endless grind out of your virtual dollhouse, 1 is the game for you.

Also all the phones are land lines and nobody has cell phones, in case you need to relive the 90s.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

I believe it's by far the most challenging game in the series, and successive games turn down the "realism" and "difficulty" knobs. So if you really want the crushing existentialism of endless grind out of your virtual dollhouse, 1 is the game for you.

Also all the phones are land lines and nobody has cell phones, in case you need to relive the 90s.

I really kind of dislike how there's no newspapers or landline phones at all in Sims 4 (although it's pretty low on the list in comparison to burglars, cops, hell even food processors and trash compactors). There's just about enough CC and variety in the DLC that you could conceivably build a "historical" save set in the 90s or 00s, but you simply can't completely rid yourself of smartphones since they're not even objects anymore, just an UI metaphor.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They're also genuinely annoying, I would regularly get rid of them if I could. I hate getting the daily popups from random strangers.

If it weren't a pain in the rear end to get running on modern computers I would definitely play Sims 1 still occasionally, even beyond deep personal nostalgia, the setting and visuals and audio are so much more coherent and have so much more personality than any of the newer games. I wouldn't play it nearly enough to justify brand new mods though, so I was a bit taken aback.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Also it just straight up had the best soundtrack of any of the games

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

TS1 is definitely janky, but it’s got a lot of it’s own charm. Also I would argue that some of the expansions are still the best version of their concept (Vacation, Superstar, and Makin’ Magic, personally).

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Sims 2 is still my favorite, I think, though I never gave 3 a real chance because I was pissed that it was so bare-bones at launch.

2 had the best bugs. I once threw a pizza party and only gardeners showed up. Actually they wouldn't stop coming, just dozens of gardeners pulling up in their work trucks, mingling everywhere, eating pizza and talking about gardening stuff. One of them got stuck looking out a window and couldn't leave. My sims just went on with their lives while this one stuck gardener stared through the glass for hours into days, crying, waving, thought-bubbles above her head showing the things she wanted/needed. She soiled herself and eventually died and haunted my house forever after.

Well thanks for listening to my happy story.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I liked sims 3 (with expansions) the most, but the load times eventually made it unplayable. Sims 4 is pretty soulless, building a house is fun but the actual gameplay is very shallow. Maybe Sims 5 will be good again, but I doubt it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For shits and giggles I reinstalled TS3 again when I got a new PC with 32 GB of RAM and a big enough SSD to also hold games, and just copied my old user folder over.

It was only very slightly less awful than before (the old system would take up to 45 minutes to initially load the neighbourhood and you just pray the game never crashes before you're done for the day).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

orcane posted:

For shits and giggles I reinstalled TS3 again when I got a new PC with 32 GB of RAM and a big enough SSD to also hold games, and just copied my old user folder over.

It was only very slightly less awful than before (the old system would take up to 45 minutes to initially load the neighbourhood and you just pray the game never crashes before you're done for the day).

The problem is that it’s a 32-bit application. Having 32 GB of RAM just means it gets a full 8 GB to access.

It’s a really, really poorly optimized game.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
4 GB isn't it? But yeah I mostly expected a bigger improvement because the old omputer only had 1 or 2 GB of slower RAM - and it helped, just not enough :suicide:

The game also does stupid poo poo IIRC like not saving thumbnails for CAS so just opening the menu to change your outfits (or making new sims) was a pain with enough expansions as it would slowly rebuild all the thumbnails every single time.

Yet they wanted people to buy all the expansions and all the stuff packs and all the paid stuff on the online store :thunk:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

orcane posted:

4 GB isn't it? But yeah I mostly expected a bigger improvement because the old omputer only had 1 or 2 GB of slower RAM - and it helped, just not enough :suicide:

The game also does stupid poo poo IIRC like not saving thumbnails for CAS so just opening the menu to change your outfits (or making new sims) was a pain with enough expansions as it would slowly rebuild all the thumbnails every single time.

Yet they wanted people to buy all the expansions and all the stuff packs and all the paid stuff on the online store :thunk:

I think 3 (and 2) only address 2GB of RAM without patching the executable by default, but to be fair they weren't really designed with high RAM use in mind so I doubt there's much in the way of performance improvement you could get even if they could address more. Contrast with 4 which will use up a lot of both RAM and VRAM and pretty much all available CPU cycles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
3 with 4's optimization would be my dream game, I really liked the open neighborhoods.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Torrannor posted:

3 with 4's optimization would be my dream game, I really liked the open neighborhoods.

Agree, but also 4’s artsyle. 3 is a little too doughy, I prefer the more cartoonish look.

Really I would like 4 a lot more if it hadn’t had so many base features stripped out of it. I don’t have much hope for 5.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hopeandjoy posted:

Agree, but also 4’s artsyle. 3 is a little too doughy, I prefer the more cartoonish look.

Really I would like 4 a lot more if it hadn’t had so many base features stripped out of it. I don’t have much hope for 5.
despite your name? rough :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hopeandjoy posted:

I would love for more gameplay in stuff in 5. No more rabbit holes. My Sim goes off to be a secret agent and... maybe something happens, but I don't get to see it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dawgstar posted:

I would love for more gameplay in stuff in 5. No more rabbit holes. My Sim goes off to be a secret agent and... maybe something happens, but I don't get to see it.

I could see Secret Agent working like police work currently does. Low levels you're just bumming around the office, doing paperwork and handling other agents on the computer. Mid levels get light field assignments, where you head to a public space to make contact with someone or check dead drops. Higher levels send you to private residences or other workplaces to spy and occasionally fight counteragents.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I like the addition of work from home careers, havent tried the active ones from GTW yet, but the home decorator job is hilarious and fun. Builds really well off of the games strongest points: building and nonsense sim logic. "So let's talk about what you're looking for in a bathroom Ms Landgrab". "I like mixology!"

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

sims 1 had a lot of weirdness that i really miss. makin' magic had some truly bizarre spells like turning your pets or imaginary friends into actual playable sims, and i loved the themed zones/shops they had in each expansion. it always felt like something new to explore and discover, but i also wonder how much was due to the fact that i was somewhere around 10 and this was really the first of its kind.

sims 4 has a lot of qol changes and polish that i enjoy, but it just lacks the character and weirdness that 1 & 2 had, along with the complex systems like genetics. i still enjoy sims 4, but it's not really the same - but i'm not sure if i can play sims 2 after getting used to the improvements made in the past 15 years. sims 4 also has the best build mode imo.

and honestly, while it feels that the sims team really does care about the game with how they handle the free updates, i don't think the game has ever fully recovered from having to scrap the original direction and start over when simcity bombed. not that i'm saying that they should have continued to go with whatever online-only model they had in mind, but the fact that they had to rush everything to get out the door meant that the game launched with very shallow gameplay, and future expansions are kind of limited to that shallow gameplay imo.

one thing i'm kind of hoping for is that sims 5 provides some sort of internet thing with friends - sims 3 superstar had this interesting system where you could have a friend's performer sim show up in your game, but i remember the way to do it was something that was really complicated and i don't think i ever managed to get it to work. but the idea of having my friends' sims pop up and see them around would be fun - it's like how when i play planet zoo, they'll have people from my steam friendslist pop up as visitors to my zoo and i'm like "neat."

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

the Cottage Living expansion lets you hug your chickens, game of the year imho

If you're on the fence about getting this expansion I'll say this: I'm somebody who always gravitates towards gardening/fishing/cooking/crafts/handiness in this game and if you're like me, Cottage Living is for you. There's a lot of little quality of life improvements and things to do and the new neighborhood is active and fun and actually genuinely adds to the experience of playing the game. It adds a sort of "questing system" where you can talk to the special-job townies ("villagers", excuse me) and ask to help them with their errands; completing these tasks net you some nice rewards. There's also a trading mechanic in case your sim is cash-poor but still needs Stuff, and a couple new "challenge" lot traits you can try out to make gameplay more goal-oriented if you want.

Anyway I'd say go for it if you like huggin' chickens. Cows are also great.

oh also you can put little outfits on 'em. hell yeah

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Chicken outfits! I’m sold.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

What mods would you consider essential?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

fit em all up in there posted:

What mods would you consider essential?

MCCC is probably number one. It’s basically the equivalent of TS3’s Master Controller with some settings to make the default Story Progression more like TS3’s so unplayed sims actually have babies and get married and stuff.

For me the next more essential is Meaningful Stories, which reduces the ping-ponging of moods.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
In case anyone else was wondering what LGR would make of Cottage Living, here's the review.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Chocolate Milk posted:

In case anyone else was wondering what LGR would make of Cottage Living, here's the review.

So just one more expansion pack and Sims 4 will have overtaken Sims 3. I hope they are really busy working on Sims 5, I've stopped caring about Sims 4 quite some time ago.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Cottage Living is legit fun, though. Usually I play Sims 4 as a time-waster during work breaks or if I'm waiting on something, but I've been actively sunk into my free-love farming commune.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Give us a Let's Play of your commune, please?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i had 0 interest in cottage living until i discovered that it had 1. chickens and 2. sweaters you could put on chickens

did they have have the half off sale for the latest ep yet? i remember getting seasons for $20 from target literally the week after it came out

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Cottage Living is legit fun, though. Usually I play Sims 4 as a time-waster during work breaks or if I'm waiting on something, but I've been actively sunk into my free-love farming commune.

Yep, I started playing it yesterday and am fully addicted. It's the Stardew Valley crossover I've always wanted.

In classic Sims style, almost immediately my simple farmer Sim managed to win the lottery. (I will be cheating to reverse that, obviously.)

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
After the latest origin update my game crashes every few minutes. :(

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

So this is new, somebody made a smooth patch for Sims 3.

quote:

This mod makes the game’s logic threads run faster, speeding up loading of Buy/Build and CASt, smoother UI elements, smoother CAS. Can also speed up live mode and loading, it’s essentially a general improvement.

Doesn't really sound like much, does it? Just upping the tickrate on the UI. But holy loving poo poo it completely changes the game. CAS loads fast and runs smooth no matter what you play around with. Build-buy opens up quickly and works properly. The UI is responsive and doesn't lag. Even the loving game camera is finally responsive and smooth and fast! It's a huge QoL improvement from my testing and basically takes the Sims 3 user experience from garbage straight to much better than Sims 4, which used to be top dog for this but these days I find has massive delays in opening up pie menus, switching sims or pausing the game.

I'm honestly stunned that a mod that's this huge for game playability can happen nearly 11 years after the game itself launched, finally resolving a massive problem that wasn't necessarily even recognized as a specific problem, merely generally poor performance. And I mean, it's no wonder since the default tickrate is 30 per second and this takes it to 500 or optionally 1000 if you want to squeeze more performance out of it. That's a huge leap.

Here's an imgur gallery with a couple of gifs demonstrating it, but it's really one of those "you have to try it yourself to see the difference" things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

After the latest origin update my game crashes every few minutes. :(

Yeah that and the $40 pricetag are the two things keeping me from jumping back in to raise cows. My new favorite bug is getting your own house as a gig for the home decorator career. It might work if you have more than one sim in the household, since you can talk to the clients etc, but drat does it do some weird poo poo if you don't.