Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Sims Medieval is worth a look as well. It's something of a mission-based Sims game which ultimately involves sending your Sims on, well, medieval adventures that are pretty firmly on rails. That may sound bad, but honestly, it's pretty cute! It's not as deep as other Sims games in that you have no needs other than hunger and energy - to compensate for this, your mood is dictated by buffs and debuffs from objects and interactions - and honestly, that might seem like a downside. But for me, it's great. Less "maintenance" means more time to romp around and be a Sim...

...which, in this game, is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Why have I only just this moment discovered auto-solving of needs? I thought those were icons, not buttons! Given that I've been going up and down floors and pointing at fridges and toilets while micromanaging a "go take a drat leak, you know where the bathroom is" button is a godsend.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wit posted:

Why have I only just this moment discovered auto-solving of needs? I thought those were icons, not buttons! Given that I've been going up and down floors and pointing at fridges and toilets while micromanaging a "go take a drat leak, you know where the bathroom is" button is a godsend.

I've been worried to click those because Sims, contrary to what EA's marketing tells you, are really kinda dumb.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Warmachine posted:

I've been worried to click those because Sims, contrary to what EA's marketing tells you, are really kinda dumb.

They're pretty smart about it in my experience. If I cook up a large meal for instance and hit the hunger autosolve my sim will grab a serving rather than say making cereal or choosing a 'quick meal'. Social I find usually tends to just have them hop in a chatroom. Bladder and Energy work fine though energy will just make you nap anywhere possible if you're not near a bed. Hygene is the only one I avoid using because it always makes my sims take a bath instead of a shower.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That doesn't sound too bad then. I already jack up my Sims' inspiration before forcing them to go iron chef for a week of meals; if they're nabbing those instead of juice boxes, I'll probably start using that.

In other news, the build ability to just plop rooms can't be overstated. My starter house needed a study, so I grabbed one, plopped, resized it and did a bit of modest wall paper and decorative addon. Done. This game is going to be really sweet once they start cranking out the content expansions. More map locations is going to be so important. The transition between areas is blissfully smooth too.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Lizard Wizard posted:

The Sims Medieval is worth a look as well. It's something of a mission-based Sims game which ultimately involves sending your Sims on, well, medieval adventures that are pretty firmly on rails. That may sound bad, but honestly, it's pretty cute! It's not as deep as other Sims games in that you have no needs other than hunger and energy - to compensate for this, your mood is dictated by buffs and debuffs from objects and interactions - and honestly, that might seem like a downside. But for me, it's great. Less "maintenance" means more time to romp around and be a Sim...

...which, in this game, is amazing.

Seconding all this, it's a great game and waaay more fun than I expected back when I first got it. I know at one point someone (Dolash?) had a fantastic LP going too. I'll have to see if I can dig it up again, IIRC it was abandoned but still well worth a look for anyone curious about the game. Though for :10bux: there's no excuse not to grab it...I really wish they'd do more experimental stuff like that with the Sims concept now and then instead of just remaking the same game with a few tweaks over and over...

But anyway, as for Sims 4 vs Sims 3 expansions, I guess I'll just wait a bit longer and see which one is the first to entice me with a sale.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

wit posted:

Wow, I didn't know that at all. That's super useful as a toilet button, at least.

I'm pretty excited for expansion packs for this game. I think we'll see with the first one they release if they're going to build on a great foundation, or spiral into bloated awfulness like Sims 3 did (I loved the mass of content, just not how increasingly broken that game got). I got a few fun weeks of playing in and have been waiting since then.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Apparently the new patch is out. Notes:
http://simsvip.com/2014/12/16/the-sims-4-new-game-patch-december-16th-2014/#more-46182

Along with the 2 new careers, they've added some free holiday stuff and also fixed some broken stuff (your Sim's menu is visible while they're at work, Sims don't get fat so quickly, teens are better identified as teens, etc).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sims 4 Patch Notes posted:

Game will no longer crash when attempting to place a roof nowhere near your lot. Um… yea, the roof, drag it really far away from your lot, and then click. You won’t crash now.

:allears:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Chocolate Milk posted:

Apparently the new patch is out. Notes:
http://simsvip.com/2014/12/16/the-sims-4-new-game-patch-december-16th-2014/#more-46182

Along with the 2 new careers, they've added some free holiday stuff and also fixed some broken stuff (your Sim's menu is visible while they're at work, Sims don't get fat so quickly, teens are better identified as teens, etc).

Good patch notes as usual,
"Fixed an issue in which killing a Sim in a 1×1 enclosure was preventing the Reaper from completing their task of soul collection, which in turn resulted in the Sim remaining married to their living spouses, which in turn prevented the living spouse from being able to remarry… yea, well you’d be surprised how common this actually is among Sims players."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Somewhere, a Bethesda game dev feels really relieved and doesn't know why.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

This is a great patch. Super excited for the first expansion pack.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HORMELCHILI posted:

Good patch notes as usual,
"Fixed an issue in which killing a Sim in a 1×1 enclosure was preventing the Reaper from completing their task of soul collection, which in turn resulted in the Sim remaining married to their living spouses, which in turn prevented the living spouse from being able to remarry… yea, well you’d be surprised how common this actually is among Sims players."

Haha, I was totally considering killing a Sim by locking him in a tiny room but he kept escaping, I mean, my conscience urged me to set him free.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

quote:

Sims will no longer clean up books that were being read to a child by another Sim.

Ahahahaha

I'm also really glad to see this:

quote:

NPC Sims leaving an event or job were not returning to their normal attire, which resulted in Sims wandering around in their work outfits, sleepwear, workout outfits, at inappropriate times. Sims should now appear in more appropriate attire for when and where they are.

I posted in the last thread about my two Sims that ended up being close friends basically autonomously after meeting at the gym. What I didn't post is that the one I wasn't controlling spent the entirety of their friendship in her gym outfit, whether they were at a bar, the park, or hanging out at one of their houses. It probably would have been easily fixed just by switching over to her and manually changing, but :effort:

And of course the two new careers are great. I'm still missing medicine and military but business and athletic were the other two I was missing most.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
It's not in the patch notes, but it looks like they tinkered with the Never Weary aspiration reward so that now it just slows down the rate at which Sims get tired, instead of making them tireless unstoppable juggernauts. (I don't have one with Steel Bladder on hand at the moment, so I don't know if that one got scaled back, too.)

And you can't multitask listening to the radio while painting anymore, which...I'm guessing is intentional? I mean, it did make painting incredibly easy when you could always reliably gain fun while doing it just by sticking a stereo in the room. No more standing around deliriously happy in front of an easel all day.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You can buy the Holiday Celebration Pack without owning the game itself. If you want the pack, but not the game YET, you can buy the celebration pack off Origin.

Which includes buying it off the website and not using origin.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I really hope that makes it into the next set of patch notes.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Trilobite posted:

It's not in the patch notes, but it looks like they tinkered with the Never Weary aspiration reward so that now it just slows down the rate at which Sims get tired, instead of making them tireless unstoppable juggernauts. (I don't have one with Steel Bladder on hand at the moment, so I don't know if that one got scaled back, too.)

And you can't multitask listening to the radio while painting anymore, which...I'm guessing is intentional? I mean, it did make painting incredibly easy when you could always reliably gain fun while doing it just by sticking a stereo in the room. No more standing around deliriously happy in front of an easel all day.

That's why you put something that gives a fun emotional aura in the room? Though I do seem to have an energetic one that just doesn't work. Guess that diamond is no one's best friend. :(

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Is there actually anything that gives a "fun" aura, though? Fun isn't an emotion, after all. There's "Playful," but that doesn't actually increase your fun bar by itself, and mostly has social effects. (And honestly, if you're painting or writing, you're probably aiming for Inspired over anything else just to get the bonuses.)

It's really not a huge deal that Sims can't listen to music while painting, it's just adding a separate "have fun" step into a painter's daily routine after getting used to having it take care of itself.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Oh yeah, I guess I misread that. I guess I assumed that Fun and Playful would overlap.

Did I miss a line in one of the earlier Writing levels that prevents Writer's Block? I switched aspirations after getting several levels in it and welp.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So this game is actually worth buying? Sims has always been my guilty pleasure despite how much bullshit comes with it. I said to myself that I wasn't going to buy this one since they cut out so much content (why the gently caress are we back to the lovely lot system???) but people are talking about it like its...good???

gently caress, I want to make dysfunctional families again.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So this game is actually worth buying? Sims has always been my guilty pleasure despite how much bullshit comes with it. I said to myself that I wasn't going to buy this one since they cut out so much content (why the gently caress are we back to the lovely lot system???) but people are talking about it like its...good???

It's good. The absence of open world and CaSt is sad but it means the game runs a lot smoother. There's less content but what's there is polished to a mirror shine and EA/Maxis seems intent on offering free content updates on a regular basis, perhaps as a mea culpa for SimCity 2013.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Coffeehitler posted:

Did I miss a line in one of the earlier Writing levels that prevents Writer's Block? I switched aspirations after getting several levels in it and welp.
I think you can't get writer's block if you're inspired, so if you switch to the writing aspiration and need to get blocked, you'll need to turn off any inspiration-producing auras in the room (and maybe replace them with other emotions in case your Sim is creative). It's possible a higher writing skill also makes it tougher to get blocked, so you might still have a hard time making it happen.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

It's very epic.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Sims 4 has taught me that the open world was way more trouble than it was worth. If you can make neighborhood/lot transitions smooth, which they seem to have done, the system works just great. Quality beats quantity, as Segmentation Fault said.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Somehow, yeah, it's actually decent which believe me I did not expect. I'd wait for an expansion, provided the first one is good you'll probably have a grand time then.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The real thing I'm waiting for is for the Law Enforcement career to come back. Then I'll be able to create a true facsimile of Hank Schrader (there's already rock collecting).

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised that the Sims 4 might actually be worth picking up a few expansions in. Good for you EA.

I was one of the biggest skeptics prior to the release and I can confirm that it isn't as bad as everyone thought. It's pretty bare-bones but at least it runs without a hickup. It's also really sleek, smooth, and the art style is really charming and modern. Also the sims can multitask which is cool, and so is the fact that all neighborhoods are now linked.

As I said in the previous thread, the game will actually probably be remembered in a decade as being the best Sims game with all the EP's. They're apparently planning on releasing a city EP sometime soon. I think the segmented hoods will make that the best city expansion yet really, since the city area may actually you know seem alive, like a city. There was nothing more disappointing than going downtown in Bridgeport only to find about five or six Sims wandering around.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 17, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
For those unwilling to wait on an expansion, The Sims 4 is currently $40 again.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Sweet, I'm willing to pick that up on sale.

Apparently there was Halloween items? Did I miss out by not buying the game before?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Sweet, I'm willing to pick that up on sale.

Apparently there was Halloween items? Did I miss out by not buying the game before?

IIRC The halloween pack was released as a patch, rather than a content pack. It was just star wars themed costumes and patching ghosts back in, I think.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Warmachine posted:

Sims 4 has taught me that the open world was way more trouble than it was worth. If you can make neighborhood/lot transitions smooth, which they seem to have done, the system works just great. Quality beats quantity, as Segmentation Fault said.

I guess, its just so many funny moments came from the open world system in Sims 3. One of my favorites was when my sim started a fire for the second time that month and the elderly lady living across the street charged over to save the day. She tried to fight the fire, was engulfed in flames instead, and then ran screaming back across the street to her house while still ablaze. I never saw her again.

Of course the fireman was standing inside my house picking his nose the entire time cause his AI broke.

0lives posted:

Somehow, yeah, it's actually decent which believe me I did not expect. I'd wait for an expansion, provided the first one is good you'll probably have a grand time then.

Yeah I'll probably wait for Seasons since that's always been my favorite. It adds a lot of stuff that just enhances the normal Sims experience. Plus its always good for general weirdness.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

What mods are people running?

Also, are there any mods that were popular that broke with the new patch?

Edit: First EP/Stuff Pack:
http://simscommunity.net/2014/12/16/sims-4-outdoor-retreat-gameplay-pack/

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 18, 2014

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

SystemLogoff posted:

What mods are people running?

Also, are there any mods that were popular that broke with the new patch?
Nothin' fancy; just Clutter Anywhere, Table Lamps Anywhere, and Electronics Anywhere, because it's annoying how many things should fit on shelves or tables but don't. (I also used to use a build/buy unlocker mod to open up all of the career-locked items for purchase, but the latest patch added a cheat that does that.)

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Are those necessary anymore with move objects cheat being back (and better than every before)?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Anyone have any idea what the Reaping skill is for? Like is the game going to go all Dead Like Me or something?

Because that would be cool.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Nothing, you can't achieve it without cheats. It's either some hold off of something removed or an easter egg.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Babby Sathanas posted:

Nothing, you can't achieve it without cheats. It's either some hold off of something removed or an easter egg.

It seems to have flavour text, which makes me think it's either cut or in preparation for something, or maybe both.

All the moodlets and so on only available through cheats have text specifically identifying them as not normally being accessible.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
This is my first Sims game - not including Sims Social - and gosh golly did I ever have so much fun making people and houses to put the people in and decorating the houses. Until I made a house with a pool and one day at 4 AM LITERALLY 10 PEOPLE burst in my house and started reading all my books and eating all my food and making my bathroom filthy and literally knocking over my trash and kicking it around. One of them even set a fire. WHY!!

First I thought it was funny, but my Sims don't know any of these people and I can't get them to leave. They're here when my sims are sleeping, they're here when my sims are at work, they're here when my sims are woohooing goddamnit. I didn't invite them in, so I guess I can't kick them out?? Being rude to them doesn't work, the assaulting sims just go stomp around in a corner or walk out the front door and walk back in later.

Don't these people have families??? It's been two days!! What do I do!!

I don't use any mods except for http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=537389 and I deleted the mods that that mod recommended because they slowed my sims response times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

That sounds pretty neat, one of my main Sims is a collector with the Loves Outdoors trait so this will be perfect. I'll definitely pick it up if it's about 10 bucks, or when it goes on sale for that.

e: I'm basing that price on assuming it's more of a stuff pack than a full expansion, since everywhere I can find online is calling it a "game pack" and I have no idea what that means.