Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Anyone come up with any good death traps for visiting sims? Looks like pool traps are not working the same way they used to in previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The camping is equivalent of a stuff pack, other than a new area right? Have they said anything about the first full blown expansion?

No, and I'm pretty sure they've conspicuously avoided answering questions about full expansions in interviews. I'm pretty sure that things like that are all a bit up in the air until they see how the free content + jumped up stuff pack model works.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, so, I recently planted a Cow Plant (yay!), but now my Sims get negative moodlets that say "drained from cowplant. Feeling like an emotionless shell" whenever they are nearby in proximity. Does anybody else experience that? Or, more importantly, does anybody know what's up with that?

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
Pretty annoying how things seem to break all the drat time in this.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

Ok, so, I recently planted a Cow Plant (yay!), but now my Sims get negative moodlets that say "drained from cowplant. Feeling like an emotionless shell" whenever they are nearby in proximity. Does anybody else experience that? Or, more importantly, does anybody know what's up with that?

Does it give you an option to milk the cow plant? You should be able to do that and get an essence of the emotion it drained from you.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RedLobster posted:

Pretty annoying how things seem to break all the drat time in this.

One of the first mods fixed that, thankfully 67% chance to break was dumb, even unlucky/loser sims didn't break stuff that much in TS3.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

That means they've been eaten by the Cow Plant and spit out. You should be feeding it more often, because it can kill your Sim when it attacks.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

Chamale posted:

That means they've been eaten by the Cow Plant and spit out. You should be feeding it more often, because it can kill your Sim when it attacks.

mmm, I don't think that's it because I micromanage them like woah, and because I've fed/pet/milked/played with the plant at least once per sim day.

Lowly posted:

Does it give you an option to milk the cow plant? You should be able to do that and get an essence of the emotion it drained from you.

Ah, that's probably it. Thanks!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What causes a Sim to age more slowly than others? There's a household of 4, all created as Young Adults at the same time, and one of them became an Adult two days later than the others. None of them had a birthday party. The mysteriously younger one is the only one to have gotten pregnant, maybe Sims don't age as fast when they're pregnant?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Chamale posted:

What causes a Sim to age more slowly than others? There's a household of 4, all created as Young Adults at the same time, and one of them became an Adult two days later than the others. None of them had a birthday party. The mysteriously younger one is the only one to have gotten pregnant, maybe Sims don't age as fast when they're pregnant?

There's a temporary freeze of ageing around pregnancy iirc so that it doesn't jump life stages while you're up the duff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't know if it applies to TS4, but in TS3 the game would generate slightly different aging timelines for Sims created in the same life stages, so maybe it's that?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Sims won't age when they are pregnant. This is so they don't be bumped into the next life state while they're pregnant. I guess it's a side-effect of not wanting elders to have kids.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, so, I'm trying to make a death flower and in order to do that, I need to find a cherry plant. Whenever I find one "in the wild", I'm unable to harvest it. Gah. So frustrating. Anyone know any other way I can get my hands on some sweet, sweet cherries?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Level up your gardening skill high enough to take a graft, then just graft it to whatever.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

Jyrraeth posted:

Level up your gardening skill high enough to take a graft, then just graft it to whatever.

I think you misunderstood my question, but it's cool. Looks like I can find a cherry tree at Sylvan Glades (the area that must be unlocked in Willow Creek). On my way to craft some flowers of death. ooo yeah

edit: wait, I'm dumb and did not fully realize how grafting works. Thanks for the tip :)

IAmNotYourRealDad fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 31, 2014

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

This game :allears:

Some bugs you just don't want them to fix.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Sims won't age when they are pregnant. This is so they don't be bumped into the next life state while they're pregnant. I guess it's a side-effect of not wanting elders to have kids.

Didn't The Sims 3 make it so you just couldn't get pregnant within three days of going to age up to elder? Seemed like a more reasonable solution.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Sims 3 kinda did both, it also made it so that pregnant sims were immortal and unable to switch between supernatural states. It is impossible to actually interrupt a Sims 3 pregnancy without cheats.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Only one thing to do when you're friends with the Grim Reaper.

Take a selfie.

Also, I'm doing a legacy challenge. My Sims just had their first child.

Triplets. With only 2,955 in the bank, how screwed are they?

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 31, 2014

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I don't know what happened, but I'm trying to build a house and now when I select a window to place and put it over the wall, it tries to put multiple windows around the room. Help!

edit: wow.. apparently that's what the 'By Room' option does

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I have had way more problems with Sims 4 than I ever did with 3. I had no problems with the open world, my game ran great. I am so frustrated with this game now. My sim will meet somebody on the street and the next day they have disappeared, like they never existed. Nowhere in the relationship panel, nowhere in the neighborhood, just gone.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So is eating really weird for anyone else?

Like Sims will take one bite, sit their for 10-15 minutes not doing anything, take another bites, sit still again, then another bite. Repeat until meal is finished or I interrupt them.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

So is eating really weird for anyone else?

Like Sims will take one bite, sit their for 10-15 minutes not doing anything, take another bites, sit still again, then another bite. Repeat until meal is finished or I interrupt them.

Yeah, that happens to me as well. Sometimes, when my sim is drinking, it'll freeze and then resume drinking. It's weird.

Also, my other sim, who is in the tech guru career path needs to achieve level four on his video game skill to get a promotion. He's at five, and for whatever reason, the gold check doesn't come up. Is this happening to anyone else, or is it me?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Yeah, that happens to me as well. Sometimes, when my sim is drinking, it'll freeze and then resume drinking. It's weird.

Also, my other sim, who is in the tech guru career path needs to achieve level four on his video game skill to get a promotion. He's at five, and for whatever reason, the gold check doesn't come up. Is this happening to anyone else, or is it me?

Yeah, there's a couple of bugs around now. One is that bartenders are broken. You go to a bar and you'll see a sim wave endlessly at the bartender, and the bartender does nothing. If it's your own sim who autonomously gets a drink, they just spend that 10 simoleons and that money vanishes. The only time a bartender worked was when my Sim did it, or hired a mixologist for a social event in a lot that wasn't a bar. This bug has been confirmed, and will be in the next patch.

Drinking and Eating is also a bug right now. I also had an issue with an evil sim grabbing their book, reading, going to laugh manically, then cancelling the book interaction completely by putting it down.

The most recent patch has seemed to be the most buggy. It's not like they really tested it to make sure the rest of the game worked, and only made sure the new careers worked. Of course most of the team has been on their Holiday vacation, so they probably might fix some odd bugs for the release of the gameplay pack. It's the first time they're going to be releasing paid DLC for the game besides the digital deluxe items and the Sims 3 mood lamps/freezer bunny trophy.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

The most recent patch has seemed to be the most buggy. It's not like they really tested it to make sure the rest of the game worked, and only made sure the new careers worked.

I'm getting an odd sense of déjà vu...

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
After all these months, has the game revealed itself as a Venus Fly Trap, luring people in and being full of bugs?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's not unplayably buggy, so not quite.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Can I build basements and staircases with landings yet? This is important.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

KillHour posted:

Are you making the Phantom of the Opera?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

KillHour posted:

Well there's this tutorial for staircases & landings.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm curious, does this game have random Sims deciding to screw with you out of nowhere?

To explain, I enjoyed the Sims 2 model where you loaded a given household, and random people you know could run in and do whatever, like steal your newspaper.

Sims 3 didn't really do that on a regular basis like Sims 2 did.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yes, they'll do that, and they'll also peer creepily into your windows all the drat time.

This game is in general far more like TS2 than TS3.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

EA has announced that they will continue the free content updates after Outdoor Retreat. They also have announced that owning the PC version will give you access to the mac version as well.

On another tangent, I've been scouring the web to see hairstyles and skintones that people have made for the game. I have not put them in my game as they are terrible. Sims turn from looking cartoony and fitting the style of the rest of the game into looking like they are completely devoid of life, and are slathered with makeup even if they would be sims who wouldn't touch the stuff. There are skintones and hair that fits with the styles of the games, of course. The ones that fit the style of the game are more competent than custom hair as they don't just appear to be ripped from Sims 2/3 custom content.

And then the filter for the Gallery doesn't hide stuff that is using custom content if you need to download it from an external website in order to use it. Unowned content is different, as I don't have every single light/freezerbot llama trophy for buying The Sims 3. I do not need those lights or trophy to enjoy a lot/room I grab.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Emotions and facial expressions are pretty on point. My sim stepped out of line with a romantic advance at dinner and completely embarrassed himself. Then it was as if he was tripping over his words and he kept looking away instead of eating his meal. I've only had a solid hour of playtime but everything is pretty clean. Especially build mode. What a godsend.

e: same with CAS. I used I never touch the face sliders but the new pinch pull tug thing feels really natural.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

EA has announced that they will continue the free content updates after Outdoor Retreat. They also have announced that owning the PC version will give you access to the mac version as well.

On another tangent, I've been scouring the web to see hairstyles and skintones that people have made for the game. I have not put them in my game as they are terrible. Sims turn from looking cartoony and fitting the style of the rest of the game into looking like they are completely devoid of life, and are slathered with makeup even if they would be sims who wouldn't touch the stuff. There are skintones and hair that fits with the styles of the games, of course. The ones that fit the style of the game are more competent than custom hair as they don't just appear to be ripped from Sims 2/3 custom content.

And then the filter for the Gallery doesn't hide stuff that is using custom content if you need to download it from an external website in order to use it. Unowned content is different, as I don't have every single light/freezerbot llama trophy for buying The Sims 3. I do not need those lights or trophy to enjoy a lot/room I grab.

This stuff is why I never added any custom content that wasn't from the EA store or a non-visual mod to my 3 game. It happens in every game that the CC invariably ends up not fitting the style of the game, being weird anime model looks. I'd never turn off a "no custom content" filter if they had it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Warmachine posted:

This stuff is why I never added any custom content that wasn't from the EA store or a non-visual mod to my 3 game. It happens in every game that the CC invariably ends up not fitting the style of the game, being weird anime model looks. I'd never turn off a "no custom content" filter if they had it.

Weird anime looks?

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
I've just gotten into The Sims and am really enjoying 4 right now.

Gallery-wise do we have any tags that we can search for to see stuff goons have made, or do we just post interesting stuff here?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Gallery crashes to desktop everytime I load it up since the last patch. So post em here I guess.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Gallery crashes to desktop everytime I load it up since the last patch. So post em here I guess.

Huh. It's good to know I'm not alone. I thought it was poor Internet or something on my end. That's pretty frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

Are you making the Phantom of the Opera?

No, I want to make my house, damnit.

It's not like I have a particularly unusual staircase configuration, but you couldn't do that in The Sims 3.