Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Is there new hair? This is very important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Is there new hair? This is very important.
I don't have it myself yet, but Reddit says "9 new hairstyles (2 child female, 5 adult female, 2 adult male)"

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The Kins posted:

I don't have it myself yet, but Reddit says "9 new hairstyles (2 child female, 5 adult female, 2 adult male)"

Inequality :argh:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The new hair is pretty good, too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a fix for TS4 lag yet? I get the same kind of lag from TS3 where time and animations keep playing, but a sim will be inactive for a good 3-4 seconds before doing the next task. Someone provided a fix for TS3 and it worked wonders.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That means there's too much poo poo going on for your computer. Try turning down the graphics, or removing any script mods you installed.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Elliotw2 posted:

That means there's too much poo poo going on for your computer. Try turning down the graphics, or removing any script mods you installed.

I'm pretty sure even unmodded there's some actions that just pause your sim for no reason. Sometimes it feels like the animation finished faster than the action is scheduled to take so that's why it's waiting but dunno.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Elliotw2 posted:

I noticed that lag is especially bad if you're constantly switching between different speeds like my sister does, or you're running a mod that lets you have 25 Sims in one place like I do.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Curses, I was hoping the patch would (re?)fix the bug that makes it so your sim is stuck in "work mode" when they come home. The only answer I've seen is to send them sent home from work early, but that hurts your job performance so much, they don't seem to be able to advance in their career. My sim will never be an astronaut. :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

Is there a fix for TS4 lag yet? I get the same kind of lag from TS3 where time and animations keep playing, but a sim will be inactive for a good 3-4 seconds before doing the next task. Someone provided a fix for TS3 and it worked wonders.

Just out of curiosity, what was the fix for Sims 3? I thought having them stand around a bit before doing something autonomously was just how the game was supposed to work.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just out of curiosity, what was the fix for Sims 3? I thought having them stand around a bit before doing something autonomously was just how the game was supposed to work.

It was some custom exe thing that would launch the game and run a command prompt. It also served the function of a framerate capper because TS3 had the ability to max out graphics card loads and make some cards hot enough that you BSOD.

I forget the fine details of it all because it was so long, but the fix/fixes solved almost all my performance and stability issues.

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 15, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Sims 3 would only render at a maximum of 30fps, but the framerate would still go as high as it possibly could. There was absolutely no difference between 30fps and 60fps for The Sims 3. In other games, you could notice the difference, but not Sims 3.

It would not work for Sims 4, because Sims 4 will render as fast as the framerate goes. They optimized the engine.

But the lag will exist until EA fixes it. Given their most recent patch notes, they were only worried about getting Outdoor Retreat out.

Again I will reiterate. Outdoor Retreat is a great Gameplay pack. The items more than makes up for the price, and adding the extra bit of gameplay is just icing on the cake. I hope they go Gameplay packs instead of Stuff Packs, because adding a bite of gameplay is quite good.

It also gives Sims a way to reduce their current vacation days.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I can't seem to find anything on google yet, but how do you increase herbalism? Just read the book?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Eating herbs works I believe.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Analyzing herbs will powerup that skill massively. Of course if you successfully analyze the herb, it will not skill up for that anymore. But after you have it all analyzed, you can craft the remedies for skills. Or of course read the books.

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

My husband purchased The Sims 4 using the much cheaper alternative, "Mexican Proxy" method. Maybe it'll work for you Aussies as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQ5BDwpxjk

Worked for me. I'm from NZ and Outdoor Retreat is listed as $40NZ. Using the "Mexican Proxy' method I got it for $17NZ :toot: ($12.99US on the Mexican store).

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

Did you know "insane" is now an ableist slur? Me neither, but if you want it changed, there is a helpful mod to do just that! It also apparently fixes other horrible ableism like "gloomy" and "stupid".
I definitely don't want this post to sound all holier-than-thou & tumblr-esque but I think this is an alright mod. I'm physically disabled and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who are fine with calling me a cripple. There are many, many people out there who visibly hate me because they think I'm a benefits leech (which I'm not even on), and although it's easy to dismiss them as assholes, human society means I still have to be around and interact with them on a fairly frequent basis. It's a silly word but when it's backed by that kind of hate it does start to hurt a little, so I could see someone with mental disabilities having a similar discomfort with equivalent words. Not that I think Maxis were awful monsters for including it or whatever, but the mod's ok.

I think I'm gonna install Outdoor Retreat soon & hop back in, although I don't like the price. Have they announced anymore free updates? I'm surprised they haven't announced a real expansion yet.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 18, 2015

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

They've said they'd continue adding free content, though no specifics afaik.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Star Guarded posted:

I definitely don't want this post to sound all holier-than-thou & tumblr-esque but I think this is an alright mod. I'm physically disabled and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who are fine with calling me a cripple. There are many, many people out there who visibly hate me because they think I'm a benefits leech (which I'm not even on), and although it's easy to dismiss them as assholes, human society means I still have to be around and interact with them on a fairly frequent basis. It's a silly word but when it's backed by that kind of hate it does start to hurt a little, so I could see someone with mental disabilities having a similar discomfort with equivalent words. Not that I think Maxis were awful monsters for including it or whatever, but the mod's ok.

I think I'm gonna install Outdoor Retreat soon & hop back in, although I don't like the price. Have they announced anymore free updates? I'm surprised they haven't announced a real expansion yet.

There's a difference between "cripple" and "insane" though.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
And at the same time, as a disabled man, I proudly call myself a cripple. Labelling is complicated.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yes, one has been featured in the game since 2009, and the other has not.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is the comments section for said mod.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Why did someone delete their own comment?

Anyway, this is the same community that had "sexy schoolgirl walk" mods and openly defended actual RL pedophiles, the fact that this one is the controversial one is hilarious.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 19, 2015

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

mycot posted:

Why did someone delete their own comment?

Anyway, this is the same community that had "sexy schoolgirl walk" mods and openly defended actual RL pedophiles, the fact that this one is the controversial one is hilarious.

The sims modding community is almost as insane as the Nexus mod community. But hey at least it isnt fatalslab.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

I don't know, I can easily see how someone who is struggling with mental illness might feel the same way about "insane" as Star Guarded feels about "cripple." It's a mod. Nobody has to use it, but it's there if anyone feels like they want it for themselves. I don't see why that's such a big deal. If no one's interested, no one will download it.

It's not like someone is trying to campaign EA to remove the words or anything, someone just made a thing that allows you, on your own, to not see some words if you don't like them. I'm having a hard time working up any cares about such a thing existing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lowly posted:

I don't know, I can easily see how someone who is struggling with mental illness might feel the same way about "insane" as Star Guarded feels about "cripple." It's a mod. Nobody has to use it, but it's there if anyone feels like they want it for themselves. I don't see why that's such a big deal. If no one's interested, no one will download it.

It's not like someone is trying to campaign EA to remove the words or anything, someone just made a thing that allows you, on your own, to not see some words if you don't like them. I'm having a hard time working up any cares about such a thing existing.

I agree, and that's kinda what I was getting at with my comment. It's so innocuous on top of being completely optional (you know, because it's a mod and all), especially compared to everything else.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

man i am really not liking the whole emotion/aspiration system that replaced the wishes. the thought bubbles give such a small amount of points it's barely worth doing any of them, and aspirations always have some really annoying goal for each tier. emotions feel kind of pointless since it's so easy to manipulate them. i miss skill challenges too, they gave you a reason to explore all the parts of a skill by incentivizing you with awesome rewards, i don't get why they removed that.

i do like how seamless the conversation system is now. you can just invite more people to a discussion without breaking off the first, the multitasking definitely helps

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno I've found those thought bubbles really add up. I think I bought a 2k trait just from bubble points. It helps that you can just cancel whims you don't feel like completing, allowing you to keep getting points.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I find that if I want a Sim to get those aspiration points, the household needs a breadwinner to focus on promotions at work while the first Sim completes whims. Or I can work until the career earns $100/hour and take vacation days. I find that it's no longer possible to get promotions in a single day, when it used to be if you had the right mood and completed all the requirements.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
If the aspiration matches the job it's generally easier.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I do sort of prefer the slower pace of getting promotions. It makes it feels a little more realistic rather than speeding up the career ladder very quickly, like getting to be level 10 before you even hit the adult age group.

The only thing I don't like about it is that if you get a chance card and your performance goes down, it takes a couple of days to get that performance back. Almost as if you need to get the one reward of getting promotions faster.

I will reiterate that I prefer Sims 4 over Sims 3, even when it has a lot less in terms of sheer content to do. When Outdoor Retreat came out, it added more things for Sims to do. Before I had to reformat my computer, I had a Sim who lived basically in a campground in Oasis Springs. Yeah, he got bills, but that's only because I made his entire house be the campground. Hobo living to the finest!

And I will repeat. It is worth the $20.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

I do sort of prefer the slower pace of getting promotions. It makes it feels a little more realistic rather than speeding up the career ladder very quickly, like getting to be level 10 before you even hit the adult age group.

The only thing I don't like about it is that if you get a chance card and your performance goes down, it takes a couple of days to get that performance back. Almost as if you need to get the one reward of getting promotions faster.

I will reiterate that I prefer Sims 4 over Sims 3, even when it has a lot less in terms of sheer content to do. When Outdoor Retreat came out, it added more things for Sims to do. Before I had to reformat my computer, I had a Sim who lived basically in a campground in Oasis Springs. Yeah, he got bills, but that's only because I made his entire house be the campground. Hobo living to the finest!

And I will repeat. It is worth the $20.

How well would you say Outdoor Retreat alleviates the "not enough to do" problem of Sims 4? I've been thinking about picking it up.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

How well would you say Outdoor Retreat alleviates the "not enough to do" problem of Sims 4? I've been thinking about picking it up.

It doesn't add too much to actually do with Outdoor Retreat. It's like a stuff pack with a gameplay element popped on. Not like an expansion packs worth of content, but I enjoy the stuff it adds. It is worth the $19.99, of course. Don't mistake it for a full expansion pack because it's not one.

Campfires are pretty fun. It's nice to send Sims on vacation to somewhere besides their house. I enjoy Bon Voyage as an expansion pack for Sims 2, and missed the campground from that for Sims 3, so the camping in Sims 4 fills that bit of a niche.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Try The Sims 4 for 48 hours on Origin Game Time if you haven't already bought it. Been skeptical myself so I'll give it a try.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Policenaut posted:

Try The Sims 4 for 48 hours on Origin Game Time if you haven't already bought it. Been skeptical myself so I'll give it a try.

Of course I see that right as the account server takes a massive poo poo denying me the ability to login.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Of course I see that right as the account server takes a massive poo poo denying me the ability to login.

Yeah, it sucks. EA says poo poo's on fire right now so I can't even download it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Honestly I swore off the series after the 5th expansion for 2 but between how 4 looks and the giveaway they had for 2 I'm now eating those words

EDIT: so yeah the thread title sums up my feelings for this series.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 23, 2015

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Kilonum posted:

The demo time should start the first time you play the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Just finished playing this on Origin Free Time for about 6 hours, came away pleasantly surprised but still not convinced to plunk down $60 yet. Game runs great on my toaster PC, definitely more into the gameplay than previous Sims titles, but the amount of content in the game is just so dire and with no CAS I can't even throw up a spot of paint of my own choosing to pretend I'm making more content. I'll pick this up in a couple years when there's more expansions to play with, but at least Origin kinda-sorta sold me on the game in a roundabout way. So good job guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Policenaut posted:

Just finished playing this on Origin Free Time for about 6 hours, came away pleasantly surprised but still not convinced to plunk down $60 yet. Game runs great on my toaster PC, definitely more into the gameplay than previous Sims titles, but the amount of content in the game is just so dire and with no CAS I can't even throw up a spot of paint of my own choosing to pretend I'm making more content.

I think this is the takeaway for most. I know it was for me. It felt so hollow overall, with one hell of a structurally sound foundation - but the vanilla content really wasn't enough. I did binge something like 20 hours in my 2 days of game time, though, but I think I'm good for about a full year. For all the talk of emotions and multitasking and smarter sims, my god sims are still loving stupid.

One funny story. My sim, a young adult, started chatting with a teen sim because teens look no different, and they struck up a friendship since they were almost identical in about every way. Later, I throw a birthday party for the sim, invite her family and everything, and the second after she ages up she beelines for my sim and starts flirting with her. Can't beat Sims emergent gameplay.

Finally, the fact that modding is so simple is, at least, great news. And several are pretty necessary, as far as I'm concerned.