Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
his moon knight is butts, his deadpool got worse as it went on (Kills the MU was the high point and it still wasn't very good), and sixth gun manages to be criminally boring despite being a book about magic six shooters that can usher in the apocalypse in the old west

that should not be possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Literally The Worst posted:

his moon knight is butts, his deadpool got worse as it went on (Kills the MU was the high point and it still wasn't very good), and sixth gun manages to be criminally boring despite being a book about magic six shooters that can usher in the apocalypse in the old west

that should not be possible

Agree to completely disagree then. His Magneto alone is better than anything I've seen out of Abnett since his name was followed by Lanning.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i mean

i also dont think people whose names aren't bill mantlo should be writing those books at all because i think his insanely purple prose is what really made them work

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You say this like Chris Ryall doesn't have 10 years of ROM already written.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Literally The Worst posted:

i mean

i also dont think people whose names aren't bill mantlo should be writing those books at all because i think his insanely purple prose is what really made them work

I think there's probably another bald writer attached to Micronauts that's more deserving of all our worry.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Power Rangers and Red Sonja were both pretty fun this week. It's a little jarring that the writing for the MMPR book is light-years ahead of the actual show, dialogue and characterisation-wise, but the art for all 3 stories was good, and the cover is gorgeous.
Sonja felt a little padded, what with the various dream/fantasy pages (at least one of which I swear was just an excuse for Bennet to write: QUEEN SONJA lounges on her throne, debauchery and carnal revels all about her; and let Aneke go wild in the best old-school Savage Sword tradition.) but the plot set-up is sound, if a little unusual to see our heroine so loyal to a King that didn't even seem to exist in the last run.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Gaz-L posted:

Power Rangers and Red Sonja were both pretty fun this week. It's a little jarring that the writing for the MMPR book is light-years ahead of the actual show, dialogue and characterisation-wise, but the art for all 3 stories was good, and the cover is gorgeous.

All 8 of the covers are gorgeous, but it kinda pisses me off that the three coolest ones are impossible to get. My local comic shops sold out of the green ranger basically as soon as they opened, and they got maybe one or two white rangers each. And the red ranger with the dragon shield is going to be impossible to ever see in person, let alone buy.

I went to both local places, they had long since sold out of the green ranger variant and likely won't get them in again which is insane since Tommy is like the main focus of this new series. One place had one copy of the white ranger variant but they were holding it for some dude and were selling for $130. They let me see it, and drat it's beautiful, but that price tag and rarity is ridiculous. And both shops sold out of the red ranger early in the day too.

Great comic, definitely stoked for issue 1 in March. Hopefully the tpb has pages with all of the variants. I'd love to get a green ranger variant for display purposes, hopefully Boom gets more in stock online or in stores.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Thompson and Campbell are actually pulling it off... a story arc featuring EVIL JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS and a sympathetic Misfits where Pizzazz is actually probably the one you feel most for.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC comics are doing Hanna-Barbera revamps.
http://www.ew.com/2016/01/28/dc-entertainment-hanna-barbera-titles

Scooby Apocalypse by Keith Giffen and Howard Porter
The Flintstones designed by Amanda Conner (Power Girl, Harley Quinn) written by Mark Russell (Prez)
Future Quest (Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, adventuring character mash-up) from Jeff Parker, Doc Shaner and Jordie Bellaire (Flash Gordon creative team)
Wacky Race Land from a Mad Max Fury Road designer.

I'm not sure about anything here other than Future Quest, but I'm very sure about that. It's perfect.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 28, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is by no means the weirdest thing they've ever done with Scooby Doo.

So sure let's see where that goes.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The creative team on Johnny Quest definitely makes that book worth a look.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Thompson and Campbell are actually pulling it off... a story arc featuring EVIL JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS and a sympathetic Misfits where Pizzazz is actually probably the one you feel most for.

She's back doing the art? To be honest I dropped the book when she left.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

She's back doing the art? To be honest I dropped the book when she left.

She didn't leave, she's just one of those artists that can't really do a monthly schedule, so I think she's doing a few issues, then a break to let her build a backlog, with guest artists doing the issues during the break.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Is there a special reason why Keith Giffen isn't doing the art on Scooby Doo? That I would pay money for.

Parker, Shaner and Bellaire on a book makes me miss Flash Gordon less.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jem Update: Still rockin', and this might be the first arc that feels like a direct riff on the cartoon, because we have a wacky evil plot by the villains, and the heroines being super sweet and supportive and power-of-sisterhood-y... it's just that the usual roles are reversed. I feel like Blaze's reveal might've been a little too idealised... it might've been better drama to have at least someone be a little uncomfortable. Not necessarily outright bigoted, but needing an issue or two to work out their own internalised preconceptions.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It was a bad issue because there was only one brief scene with Pizzazz, who is far and away the best character. In fact, kill off Jem and co in a bizarre tour bus accident and focus entirely on Pizzazz and Stormer. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

It was a bad issue because there was only one brief scene with Pizzazz, who is far and away the best character. In fact, kill off Jem and co in a bizarre tour bus accident and focus entirely on Pizzazz and Stormer. :colbert:

Pizz's whole crisis is probably the best part of the arc because they're not spelling it out that she's depressed because she doesn't feel like she's worth anything if she can't sing, especially not if her friends and the label think she's replaceable with some chick off the street. I mean it's not subtle, but it's not being directly called out in the text.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Street Fighter X GI Joe #1 came out today and so far the tournament brackets are kind of bonkers with the exception of one match.

Snake Eyes over C. Viper
Rufus over Baroness
Hakan over Roadblock
Jinx over Ryu

The backmatter also gives one-paragraph descriptions of all the prelim matches. Here's how those went:

Snake Eyes over Ken
C. Viper over Munitia
Baroness over Elena
Rufus over Cover Girl
Roadblock over Zangief
Hakan over Shipwreck
Jinx over Blanka
Ryu over Overkill
Guile over Crusher
Gung-Ho over Dhalsim
Chun-Li over Quick Kick
Dan Hibiki over Sakura
Storm Shadow over Fei Long
Croc Master over Alex
Cammy over Firefly
M. Bison over Rock 'n' Roll

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I am personally angry and offended that Street Fighter GI Joe isn't drawn and written by Tom Scioli.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Dan Hibiki over Sakura

My main man is moving up in the world!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Glad to see GI Joe character Dan Hibiki getting a solid win over a Street Fighter.

I assume the one paragraph explains it.

Gavok, is the comic actually any good?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Glad to see GI Joe character Dan Hibiki getting a solid win over a Street Fighter.

I assume the one paragraph explains it.

I mean, it's a 32-man tournament featuring a bunch of characters from each franchise. It would be kind of weird if every single match was one from each property.

quote:

Gavok, is the comic actually any good?

Nothing mindblowing, but it's fun for what it is. A handful of one-on-one fights with banter in-between and a ridiculous fighting game world domination plot that involves Destro and M. Bison hanging out together and clinking wine glasses.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Scooby Apocalypse #1 preview
http://www.newsarama.com/29083-shaggy-scooby-doo-step-out-in-scooby-apocalypse-1-preview.html

I like it so far!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I was on board for the first two pages even with the clunky exposition. But then it turned into an origin story and I checked out.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

.....................................................................I like a post apocalyptic story with colors other than sepia, orange and teal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Scooby doo, but with emoji.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I figured Scoob would be more of a normal dog communicating solely through holo-emoji (and holo-eyebrows), which could potentially be interesting in a "what's he really trying to say here" sense. But if he can just Rooby-ralk anyway, it's just an obvious cynical "hey emoji those phone-crazy kids will love this!"

Also Velma as an emotionally stunted child prodigy. Ohh boy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Scooby Doo On Zombie Island is still the best serious Scooby Doo story ever made got it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So... IDW are going all in with Hasbro on their attempt to milk all their 80s properties and are making a MASK book.

I'm almost definitely down for this, but I'm chomping at the bit for them to announce Visionaries, cuz that toyline and cartoon was my JAM as a kid. I can still recite most of the verses the characters used to summon their special powers from the cartoon.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Gaz-L posted:

So... IDW are going all in with Hasbro on their attempt to milk all their 80s properties and are making a MASK book.

I'm almost definitely down for this, but I'm chomping at the bit for them to announce Visionaries, cuz that toyline and cartoon was my JAM as a kid. I can still recite most of the verses the characters used to summon their special powers from the cartoon.

When will I get Inhumanoids then dammit? It's powered armored scientists versus Cthulhu. Why it's not more beloved I won't ever know.

But I am still a massive fan of the Starriors miniseries Marvel did in the 80s so perhaps I have odd taste.

However I must warn all of the Robotech/Voltron crossover. It was incredibly pointless and lovely. Not quite as bad as that Transformers Deviations 1 shot but.. Yeah.

Now the older Devil's Due Voltron books were some good reading. And I am not a Lion Team fan. ( Vehicle or GTFO. )

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

When will I get Inhumanoids then dammit? It's powered armored scientists versus Cthulhu. Why it's not more beloved I won't ever know.

Probably not soon, partly because of possible Marvel confusion, but more because it's not part of the proposed non-Transformers Hasbro-verse, which is gonna be GI Joe, MASK (these two make so much sense that the main character from MASK was even released as a GI Joe doll), ROM, Micronauts and Visionaries. Visionaries being the only one IDW doesn't have a comic out or publicly announced as in the pipeline yet.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Shaggy's looking a bit like Oliver Queen there.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gnome de plume posted:

Shaggy's looking a bit like Oliver Queen there.

So much that I feel like I'm missing an in-joke of some kind.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
So, tomorrow is FCB day, right? That means it'll be our first look at IDW's ROM. Are FCBs available on comixology, or are they a brick and mortar only thing?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

So, tomorrow is FCB day, right? That means it'll be our first look at IDW's ROM. Are FCBs available on comixology, or are they a brick and mortar only thing?

Going by the last couple years, they will be up on Comixology, but probably not for a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months. I believe because the idea behind FCBD is to get people in the doors of stores, forgetting that, oh, some of us work on Saturdays.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Gaz-L posted:

Going by the last couple years, they will be up on Comixology, but probably not for a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months. I believe because the idea behind FCBD is to get people in the doors of stores, forgetting that, oh, some of us work on Saturdays.

That's a huge thing in general though. Lots of people legit don't realize, understand, or care that a ton of people work nights and weekends and holidays. This Bankers Hours as Standard ideal isn't reality at all. poo poo, who the hell do they think work so this weekender and nightlife poo poo can happen?

I've never actually gone to a FCBD thing because I work nights and sleep much of the day.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Picked up my copy of ROM #0 from my FLCBS. It reads very much like 11 pages of Bill Mantlo's script. Ryall and Gage very obviously made a deliberate decision to imitate the speech patterns and vocabulary of the 30 year old books, and there was some subtle fanservice thrown in if you knew what to look for. The artwork was clean and effective. I've got some nitpicks, but they're minor enough that I don't care to voice them. There's no real story to the FCB comic, it's basically just a quick set piece battle that's basically out there just to say "Yep, we know how a fight between Rom and some dire wraiths typically goes." All in all, there's nothing in there that has me worried about the quality of the upcoming series, but I'm not ready to crown it, either.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Following on from Godzilla In Hell is Rage Across Time.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/18/new-godzilla-series-goes-back-in-time-to-feudal-japan/

No info beyond the first issue's team, so no word on Stokoe involvement.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The zero issue of ROM wasn't bad, though it'll remain to see how good he is outside of the Marvel context. I'm not sure why Marvel just didn't buy the rights back, at least for reprints. There's certainly a demand for the old ROM issues, and I'm sure Hasbro wouldn't ask that much for a toy they haven't used in how many years. Just split the money 50/50. James Gunn wanted ROM to be in Guardians of the Galaxy, so that would have spurred interest in trade papaerbacks of the original run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

The zero issue of ROM wasn't bad, though it'll remain to see how good he is outside of the Marvel context. I'm not sure why Marvel just didn't buy the rights back, at least for reprints. There's certainly a demand for the old ROM issues, and I'm sure Hasbro wouldn't ask that much for a toy they haven't used in how many years. Just split the money 50/50. James Gunn wanted ROM to be in Guardians of the Galaxy, so that would have spurred interest in trade papaerbacks of the original run.

I don't think Hasbro has actually ever made an action figure of ROM before.

Parker Brothers did and then Hasbro bought ROM years later. I think there was some Chibi thing released?

• Locked thread