Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

I'm Widestancer on steam

Feel free to add me.

That goes for other people; if you have like steam level 1 or 0 and only one game let me know on here that you added me so I don't think you're some weird spambot.

I've been getting a lot of those lately, anyone else?

i will when im next on, been mainly console gaming lately tho so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Widestancer posted:

I'm Widestancer on steam

Feel free to add me.

That goes for other people; if you have like steam level 1 or 0 and only one game let me know on here that you added me so I don't think you're some weird spambot.

Yeah they've been doing that .scr thing lately. It's only caught one of my steam friends from what I've seen (one of the hacks sends your friends an automatic message telling them to download it)

(this is my steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/koldPT/ add me nerds)

Kewpuh posted:

Super Metroid is the greatest video game of all time and if you disagree with this then I will ban you

I dunno, I've been playing it lately and I kinda liked Zero Mission better.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I've been playing the new Gauntlet and it's good so far. The Wizard is really rewarding to play.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Gauntlet removed the mindless smashing of hordes of enemies and introduced things like "skill" and "aim" into combat and I cannot even begin to describe how disappointed I was by this design decision

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Widestancer posted:

I'm Widestancer on steam

Feel free to add me.

I added you. travler903 on steam with the current alias of Duck.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I think dungeon of the endless is very good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 is still the best Gauntlet game.

Ninja edit: Diablo 3 on console is also the best Gauntlet game. My gf and I have a blast with it. Obv she rolls wizard and I get stuck with Monk

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've been farting around in Firefall of late and it's not that bad. Jetpacks, gliders, and motorcycles are fun and it has a cool aesthetic. Not sure about the game's longevity, though.

Also bought some cheap platformer on steam called Wings of Vi because I want to be a beautiful angel, but it is hard and I can't even beat the first stage.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

precision posted:

Ninja edit: Diablo 3 on console is also the best Gauntlet game. My gf and I have a blast with it. Obv she rolls wizard and I get stuck with Monk

Roll a Crusader and hammerfuck everything to death while bemoaning your goofy religion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Star Citizen will be the greatest game ever made. Hell, it probably already is.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Yo idiots tell me here too what game you want me to pick for that game of the month thread idea for December, otherwise I am just going to pick EYE Divine Cybermancy and you will have to spend the holidays being hacked by ATM machines and eaten by werewolves.

Also I guess feel free to add me on Steam because I like to see what games people are playing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/contestwinner

I change my display name often though so if that bugs you sorry.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Has anyone else gotten an invite to "Vladimir Putin Appreciation Club" on steam because its presence on my invites list makes me uncomfortable. I do not want the baleful eye of the Russian government on me.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Added everyone itt and i am steamedsalmon if anyone else wants to add me. I don't do too much Steam gaming right now tho because I'm on a MBP lol

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Widestancer posted:

I'm Widestancer on steam

Feel free to add me.

Added you. JGBeagle on steam.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Contest Winner posted:

Yo idiots tell me here too what game you want me to pick for that game of the month thread idea for December, otherwise I am just going to pick EYE Divine Cybermancy and you will have to spend the holidays being hacked by ATM machines and eaten by werewolves.

Also I guess feel free to add me on Steam because I like to see what games people are playing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/contestwinner

I suggest the original Deus Ex.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I bought the Humble Sega Bundle and don't know anyone with Total War 2 so here's a steam link to some dlc for it if anyone wants it I guess

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Zombie Samurai posted:

I suggest the original Deus Ex.

Realtalk this is the real choice if no one has any strong opinions, and it's mostly because I shamefully have never played it past the first level.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Contest Winner posted:

Realtalk this is the real choice if no one has any strong opinions, and it's mostly because I shamefully have never played it past the first level.

The first level turns a lot of people off for various reasons.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Contest Winner posted:

We should have two different GOTM things, one for janky poo poo like EYE and one for just playing straight up good games that everyone should play like Deus Ex.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Widestancer posted:

The first level turns a lot of people off for various reasons.

I never understood that. It's a nice, open level with multiple ways to complete the objectives.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Falsum posted:

I never understood that. It's a nice, open level with multiple ways to complete the objectives.

Supposedly many people just shut down when given too many options, which is why grinds to unlock basic tools of the game are good for you, the player.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

You're also not very well-equipped for a straight fight from the start, but the long sight lines around the statue base and unfamiliarity with the stealth system lead to unwanted fights and frustrating deaths. It's a great level, but a really bad one to teach players the game with.

I don't think that would be too much of an issue with an entire thread going through it at once, though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Zombie Samurai posted:

You're also not very well-equipped for a straight fight from the start, but the long sight lines around the statue base and unfamiliarity with the stealth system lead to unwanted fights and frustrating deaths. It's a great level, but a really bad one to teach players the game with.

I don't think that would be too much of an issue with an entire thread going through it at once, though.

The long sight lines are a huge problem, stealth games really need areas of concentrated cover to let you infiltrate close to the enemies.

The best levels of DX give you large "safe" zones that surround a strongpoint you need to infiltrate. You have lots of characters and dialogue options in these safe zones, so you can scout the dangerous areas first. Liberty Island lacks that.

Plus, the place makes no sense. UNATCO HQ is just a stone's throw away, the place should be locked down and integrated into UNATCO HQ's defences in the first place.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Contest Winner posted:

EYE owns do EYE

my legs are OK

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Contest Winner posted:

EYE is cool you could do EYE.

Or pick something that was / is in some sort of cheap bundle at the moment you start the thread so that lots of people can participate. EYE was cheap as heck during the summer sale, and will go cheap as heck again, so it may qualify on that count too.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Widestancer posted:

(like the one for Super Metroid that fixes the wonky aiming and stuff)

Tell me more about this pls

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

chumbler posted:

I've been farting around in Firefall of late and it's not that bad. Jetpacks, gliders, and motorcycles are fun and it has a cool aesthetic. Not sure about the game's longevity, though.

Also bought some cheap platformer on steam called Wings of Vi because I want to be a beautiful angel, but it is hard and I can't even beat the first stage.

Recently tried to get back into Firefall, but got too burnt out last year. Got a bike, raced bike, realized Firefall did bikes better than anything else, quit due to not enough bike content.

After restarting for the fourth time in Dragon Age, decided to try Wasteland 2... So nice to play a party based rpg where there's a point to having a party.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

loving Firefall is so frustrating. The game feels amazing, with jetting around and blasting things and there's weight to your movements and nice little audio cues of your armor shifting and your gear clattering together. The world is bright and interesting and it looks like there's tons of places to go.

And all you do is grind the same boring missions for XP.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

Super Metroid is the greatest video game of all time and if you disagree with this then I will ban you

Reasonable.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

KoldPT posted:

I dunno, I've been playing it lately and I kinda liked Zero Mission better.

:cb:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Zombie Samurai posted:

loving Firefall is so frustrating. The game feels amazing, with jetting around and blasting things and there's weight to your movements and nice little audio cues of your armor shifting and your gear clattering together. The world is bright and interesting and it looks like there's tons of places to go.

And all you do is grind the same boring missions for XP.

Firefall has been like 5 different games since I first got into the alpha/beta test, and the absolute worst one of those is the one they decided to launch with. They added shitloads of new areas and then filled them with the worst grindy bullshit missions ever, and removed a lot of the cool big invasion events that were around earlier in the beta.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Video games are fun. I love video games. :)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

Firefall has been like 5 different games since I first got into the alpha/beta test, and the absolute worst one of those is the one they decided to launch with. They added shitloads of new areas and then filled them with the worst grindy bullshit missions ever, and removed a lot of the cool big invasion events that were around earlier in the beta.

To be fair, just this weekend they did a pretty solidly rewarding invasion event that was pretty fun, but I gather that those are the exception. I want the game to do well because it really does do a bunch of cool things right and I really love the atmosphere and art style it has, and its f2p model isn't that bad, but I can't really see it lasting.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Just beat Halo 2 (ten loving years late). It was good, but I lament Master Chief's lack of character now that he's paired with the comparatively colorful Arbiter. Also, the gimmicky bosses were trash.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PvZ garden warfare is wonderful.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

chumbler posted:

To be fair, just this weekend they did a pretty solidly rewarding invasion event that was pretty fun, but I gather that those are the exception. I want the game to do well because it really does do a bunch of cool things right and I really love the atmosphere and art style it has, and its f2p model isn't that bad, but I can't really see it lasting.

Imagine those invasions happening at least once a day with all the hectic combat, that's what it was in the beta and got removed because it disrupted the 'new player experience'. All the good things in firefall are indeed buried under the bullshit grind. Shame really, gliding and jetting and making GBS threads out poison clouds was fun.

Speaking of shooters I really hope the new killing floor is good.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So Nippon Ichi Software is apparently going to go out of business if Disgaea 5 doesn't sell 150k copies. Considering D5 comes out the same day as Bloodborne, it seems inevitable. As somebody who has a strong dislike of otaku bullshit pandering video games like they've been popping out, this is good news.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Falsum posted:

I've been playing the new Gauntlet and it's good so far. The Wizard is really rewarding to play.
What's it like playing solo? (I suspect "boring" but it can't hurt to ask...) I liked the original Gauntlet a lot but none of my friends have this reboot and my computer isn't really set up for local play very well.

Contest Winner posted:

I'm going to be contrary and suggest Deus Ex... Invisible War, so we can have a nice interesting discussion on how everything went wrong with that drat game. :devil:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

We can play Deus Ex multiplayer and have a running discussion about IW and how awesome the Omar were poo poo the game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was legitimately upset that DXHR was a prequel and didn't follow on the ending of IW where you kill all the faction leaders.

• Locked thread