Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

TheHoosier posted:

I want more 2D platformers for this gen. Rayman Legends/Origins is loving amazing. New tech doesn't have to mean balls out 3D with lovely concrete and paper spectators. Sega Saturn and PS1 had incredible 2D games, as well as PS2. Shattered Soldier comes to mind immediately. The Strider remake. Ducktales. I haven't played it but Guacamelee gets love for being a Metroidvania, obviously people still like that poo poo.

Peach's final smash in the new Wii U Smash Bros is animated sort of like Rayman Origins and I want a whole game of that really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Bass Bottles posted:

Peach's final smash in the new Wii U Smash Bros is animated sort of like Rayman Origins and I want a whole game of that really bad.

It's a shame Super Princess Peach was a misguided shitfest. I like to see Nintendo branch out a bit with their characters. At least we're getting another Yoshi game.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I love gameing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Alain Post posted:

IW was terrible but killing all the faction leaders (who you hated anyway) was such a great idea.

You know what I cant agree

IW was a terrible deus ex game that is no argument. But if you just take it as a goofy shooter it is actually ultra fun. Sending a dude flying or watching them grunt out a poison dart was hours of entertainment.

Plus there was like nothing unskippable so you'd just click past all the dumb talking and get back to punching dudes asap

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Man, that loading is bad, though. You don't want to know how long this post took.

Alain Post posted:

IW was terrible but killing all the faction leaders (who you hated anyway) was such a great idea.
I liked schizophrenic JC. What I'm baffled about is giving ol' Pacifist Paul a flamethrower. I guess twenty years is long time.

Widestancer posted:

It's telling that IW only has one texture mod worth using (and it's a decent one) and basically nothing else while Deus ex has a bazillion mods out there.
It is a really good one, though.

The Kins posted:

No official mod tools got released. Thief 3 got some, not sure what came of those, but DX2 never got any and nobody wants to go spelunking through file formats to any major extent and do things the hard way. Can you blame them?
Odd, I thought some older Thief 3 SDK worked partially (T3Ed?). I know there's an unofficial French text patch or something out there. I always wondered how they did it, actually, wish I knew.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I freaking love video games, and posting about video games and making jokes. It genuinely surprises me that many Games posters who presumably do the same thing as me for 12+ hours a day post insanely negative stuff all the time about how terrible games are. To me, they are all pretty good and I'm thankful to be living in a time period in human history where the coolness of video games has been realized, and I think we can all agree that the only truly bad games are Dark Souls and Obsidian's entire catalogue.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

I freaking love video games, and posting about video games and making jokes. It genuinely surprises me that many Games posters who presumably do the same thing as me for 12+ hours a day post insanely negative stuff all the time about how terrible games are. To me, they are all pretty good and I'm thankful to be living in a time period in human history where the coolness of video games has been realized, and I think we can all agree that the only truly bad games are Dark Souls and Obsidian's entire catalogue.

Get out. Ban this poster.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Shindragon posted:

Get out. Ban this poster.

:agreed:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'll push for a pardon based on their love of video games with a sentence of 1 day in the stocks playing uh

Puzzle pirates with crazy people

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Widestancer posted:

Puzzle pirates with crazy people
That doesn't sound like a punishment because puzzle pirates owns.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

ooooh you got me you cheeky dang fellow!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

exquisite tea posted:

:crafty:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

I want more 2D platformers for this gen. Rayman Legends/Origins is loving amazing. New tech doesn't have to mean balls out 3D with lovely concrete and paper spectators. Sega Saturn and PS1 had incredible 2D games, as well as PS2. Shattered Soldier comes to mind immediately. The Strider remake. Ducktales. I haven't played it but Guacamelee gets love for being a Metroidvania, obviously people still like that poo poo.

Play Dustforce, it's one of the best platformers I've played. Super skill-based, speedrun-focused, little in the way of gratuitous checkpoint abuse.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've never beaten Dustforce. That game is hard as a mother

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, I think there should be a website like "Does The Dog Die?" for video games. And it would be called "Are There Explosive Barrels?"

The categories would be "No", "Yes", and "Yes, in multiple elements".

I remember some Ninja Turtles game on like the Gamecube or something where combat pretty much relied on exploding barrels.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Ok, but how hard does your mother get so we have a good frame of reference?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LordHippoman posted:

So, I think there should be a website like "Does The Dog Die?" for video games. And it would be called "Are There Explosive Barrels?"

I remember some Ninja Turtles game on like the Gamecube or something where combat pretty much relied on exploding barrels.

This is a really cool idea

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kylra posted:

That doesn't sound like a punishment because puzzle pirates owns.

Yeah it does I secretly don't want anything bad to happen to them

Also I got to say the words tiny pee pee today so I'm happy and in a good mood.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Maybe they could list time-to-crate as well.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Eonwe posted:

This is a really cool idea

Start to Crate has been a metric for video game review for more than a decade

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

DolphinCop posted:

Start to Crate has been a metric for video game review for more than a decade

its weird how true this is because my house is full of crates

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

VideoGames posted:

its weird how true this is because my house is full of crates

The crates are inside you, VideoGames.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Endless legends is an unblanaced cim 5 style game that is better than civ 5 and loving owns

devs said they won't balance it so everything is a bit crazy, but it some how works

It has neat factions like guys who must kill things to get more food since they don't get farming, dragon people, or fall out cosplayers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

Endless legends is an unblanaced cim 5 style game that is better than civ 5 and loving owns

devs said they won't balance it so everything is a bit crazy, but it some how works

It has neat factions like guys who must kill things to get more food since they don't get farming, dragon people, or fall out cosplayers.

I'm gonna buy this when I get back I think

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to buy it but I always get confused as hell in TBS games after the first couple dozen turns. Forgetting what cities were for, what I was researching and why, etc etc and it just becomes a pointless clickfest from then on for me

Just another instance of being Bad At Video Games really

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Eonwe posted:

I'm gonna buy this when I get back I think

Do it its a fun game.

Speaking of fun games, I'm 2/3's through EYE Divine Cybermancy and it just keeps funnier with each playthrough. Revolvers that shoot down gunships! Deadly triangles! Brouzoufs!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

elf help book posted:

The crates are inside you, VideoGames.

i was the crates all along.

mods please rename me VideoCrates

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Hey speaking of cool games I tried a demo for a squad-based tactics game called Deadnaut last night and it's pretty rad and creepy. The demo is over here and the game is $9 on Steam right now.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Pyschonauts is only 1.99 on steam right now :wth:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

LordHippoman posted:

The best explosive barrel thing is Shadow of Mordor, since they were all Orc Beer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Widestancer posted:

it shocked me today to learn that i already own the whole of double fines on sale back catalogue. i think ive only played costume quest.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

The Kins posted:

What's it like playing solo? (I suspect "boring" but it can't hurt to ask...) I liked the original Gauntlet a lot but none of my friends have this reboot and my computer isn't really set up for local play very well.

I played it on Solo Unfair (highest diff) using the Wizard. It was a lot of fun because the Wizard has a big bag of tricks and Unfair is hard enough that you need to use all of those tricks. The other characters might be boring in solo play though, I haven't played them yet.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Play Dustforce, it's one of the best platformers I've played. Super skill-based, speedrun-focused, little in the way of gratuitous checkpoint abuse.

Dustforce is really good and it has a lot of content. Super Meat Boy and Dustforce are the benchmark for indie platformers IMO.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Falsum posted:

Dustforce is really good and it has a lot of content. Super Meat Boy and Dustforce are the benchmark for indie platformers IMO.

Is it weird if I love Super Meat Boy and hate Dustforce? Everything felt so tight and responsive in SMB, like I could go anywhere and do anything. Dustforce feels clunky and constrained, like I'm on a track and I just have to push the right buttons at the right time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

does anyone want to play rise of nations with me ever. pubbies or whatever are very bad at it and constantly enforce dumb rules like low resources or other poo poo that makes the game very slow

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Davincie posted:

does anyone want to play rise of nations with me ever. pubbies or whatever are very bad at it and constantly enforce dumb rules like low resources or other poo poo that makes the game very slow

I would if I wasn't at work. That game is fuckin awesome. We should all play Age of Mythology as well

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
all gaming all the time.

i live my life one quarter megabyte at a time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

I was v annoyed when Tim shafer announced a dott rerelease instead of a psychonauts sequel/remake/rerelease

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

I was v annoyed when Tim shafer announced a dott rerelease instead of a psychonauts sequel/remake/rerelease

Yeah the gently caress was that?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
dott is really good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

Yeah the gently caress was that?

I heard someone shout psychonauts in the audienceand got rly excited and was like omg and then nope :smith:

axleblaze posted:

dott is really good though.

yeah it's cool and im not straight up disappointed but given the choice id take psychonauts for sure

• Locked thread