Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ZergRushing posted:

yeah but she has the unique ability to attract 90% of the player pool by being a cute pink floaty girl, JUST LIKE A REAL WOMAN

and no sexualization isnt it everything you've always wanted!!

lol she isn't even like a trade off character where she's really good at one thing compared to everyone else. she's the slowest, takes the longest to pick things up and has the second lowest jump. but she can float~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

This thread shouldn't be gassed. In fact, I think it needs to stick around for a while longer IMO.

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004

Stux posted:

lol she isn't even like a trade off character where she's really good at one thing compared to everyone else. she's the slowest, takes the longest to pick things up and has the second lowest jump. but she can float~

ummm excuse me i beat mario 2 when i was 7 y/o using peach. in fact ive never even played anyone but peach because everyone else is dumb and fat and slow and ugly

im starting to think im the only true feminist left :cry:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i'm buying this

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Im Game

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A cool drat horse posted:

This thread shouldn't be gassed. In fact, I think it needs to stick around for a while longer IMO.

That's what got me banned the last time, are you trying to get me killed?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Stux posted:

I never used anyone but Peach in SMB2 and everyone I knew did the same because she was the best character. It sounds like you just hate women unless they fit into a very specific mold, so perhaps you're the misogynist here?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Serious question, though I hate to bring up Gone Home again.

Those that say Gone Home "isn't a game", were they born or became of gaming age in the 90s?

I was, but I played text adventures once in a while when really young from the 80s. They had as much interactivity as Gone Home did usually, which makes me wonder if people criticizing it for not being a true game aren't old enough to have experienced or know about text adventure games. Seems they don't know the roots of adventure gaming, because no one in the same sentence says those games aren't games either. This is aside from all the other criticisms and dislike, and purely about the "it's not a game!" criticism. Just seems like people lobbing anything negative they can think of against it because they don't like it without realizing the implications to the history of the medium. :corsair:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Adam Bowen posted:

I never used anyone but Peach in SMB2 and everyone I knew did the same because she was the best character. It sounds like you just hate women unless they fit into a very specific mold, so perhaps you're the misogynist here?

Looks like you're placing your female characters on a pedestal to me. How very equal of you.

E: Gone home was boring. You walked in, you read a few things, game was over. Not worth the price tag and worth the mockery, same with any other "game" nowadays that tries the same thing. You have to think back then the simple mechanics were a symptom of the times. Nowadays the only reason it had no gameplay mechanics is because they wanted to create an "arty game" and it just ended up being poo poo.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Bel Monte posted:

Those that say Gone Home "isn't a game", were they born or became of gaming age in the 90s?

I was, but I played text adventures once in a while when really young from the 80s. They had as much interactivity as Gone Home did usually, which makes me wonder if people criticizing it for not being a true game aren't old enough to have experienced or know about text adventure games. Seems they don't know the roots of adventure gaming, because no one in the same sentence says those games aren't games either. This is aside from all the other criticisms and dislike, and purely about the "it's not a game!" criticism. Just seems like people lobbing anything negative they can think of against it because they don't like it without realizing the implications to the history of the medium. :corsair:

The dumbest and most shallow adventure game of the 80's and 90's still had gameplay though. I played the first text adventure ever made and it had more interactivity than Gone Home.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bel Monte posted:

Text based adventure games are a good analogy for Gone Home: Far too shallow to be considered legitimate prose.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Stux posted:

she's the slowest, takes the longest to pick things up and has the second lowest jump. but she can float~

That sounds like a trade-off.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Toad is a dude and he is objectively the worst SMB2 character, sounds like misandry to me

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Luigi is green and he is also Luigi. I think we all know where the real problem lies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Please explain to me: Why is murder admirable?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Well, if someone had murdered your parents at some point we wouldn't have to read your lovely posts today

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

well i mean the space pirates wanted to blow up the galaxy or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually ive played every metroid game and still dont know what any of the antagonists wanted

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

well i mean the space pirates wanted to blow up the galaxy or something

Well, the space pirate are basically the Mongols, should we kill all the Mongols?

Adam Bowen posted:

Well, if someone had murdered your parents at some point we wouldn't have to read your lovely posts today

I wish to feed you rectally.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Bel Monte posted:

on the other hand, text adventure games have puzzles

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Endorph posted:

actually ive played every metroid game and still dont know what any of the antagonists wanted

To use Metroids to provide cheap energy to the Universe and stop the Space Muslims from controlling all of the Space Oil. Samus has to prevent this so her capitalist overlords can remain in power

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Well, the space pirate are basically the Mongols, should we kill all the Mongols?
i dont think the mongols are dragons, actually

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm not sure what POC pikmins are supposed to represent please help me out tia

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've played games which made me believe that Russians were non-human scum, and that allied Central European nations were the same.

I hope that the American arbiters will find time in deciding the merit of video games to judge the vastly inferior politics of the Balkans.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ekster posted:

I'm not sure what POC pikmins are supposed to represent please help me out tia

It shows how smart and progressive you are.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

The dumbest and most shallow adventure game of the 80's and 90's still had gameplay though. I played the first text adventure ever made and it had more interactivity than Gone Home.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

on the other hand, text adventure games have puzzles

Was that "legit" interactivity or was it "GET LAMP" + Enter?

It's been a long time since playing those games, but I recall Gone Home had most of the same things many text adventures had at the time, they merely streamlined it. So instead of GO WEST > GET DIARY > Scribble down locker combination > GO NORTH > 2342, it was more streamlined. You looked actually around your environment yourself, rather than having a text dump. You moved things with your mouse, rather than having to type "OPEN MAILBOX" only to have your response be "I don't know how to do that". The puzzles seemed identical to me, but again, bad memory. "How do I get in room?", "Oh, I need to LOOK CLOSET to find the lamp and then type GET LAMP so I can see the key!" (:downs:), where as Gone Home seemed to do it with graphics and clicking.

Not to say it was an amazing game, but the interactivity just seemed streamlined. It felt like the contemporary equivalent to a text adventure game to me.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Taking out the puzzles in those games would be a vast improvement

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Bel Monte posted:

It's been a long time since playing those games, but I recall Gone Home had most of the same things many text adventures had at the time, they merely streamlined it. So instead of GO WEST > GET DIARY > Scribble down locker combination > GO NORTH > 2342, it was more streamlined. You looked actually around your environment yourself, rather than having a text dump. You moved things with your mouse, rather than having to type "OPEN MAILBOX" only to have your response be "I don't know how to do that". The puzzles seemed identical to me, but again, bad memory. "How do I get in room?", "Oh, I need to LOOK CLOSET to find the lamp and then type GET LAMP so I can see the key!" (:downs:), where as Gone Home seemed to do it with graphics and clicking.

Not to say it was an amazing game, but the interactivity just seemed streamlined. It felt like the contemporary equivalent to a text adventure game to me.

http://www.skepticfiles.org/cowtext/advent~1/zorksead.htm

teh coffin puzzle could not be replicated in gone home.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Today's games can't replicate 30 year old technology. :v:

But seriously, from the wiki to Zork, it "distinguished itself in its genre as an especially rich game, in terms of both the quality of the storytelling and the sophistication of its text parser, which was not limited to simple verb-noun commands". Zork distinguished itself for it's sophisticated technology for the time against a plethora of games that could not handle "some prepositions and conjunctions ('hit the troll with the Elvish sword')." Most other text adventures were far simpler, but then so is Gone Home compared to other adventure games.

Gone Home is no Zork, comparatively speaking.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

THE PENETRATOR posted:

this reads like the summary of a bad doom wad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
This is a good thread, keep up the good work

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

you're a really bad troll, but the only woman in the game being straight up worse on a statistical level than the 3 dudes isn't hard to parse.

Bel Monte posted:

please stop being sensible in this thread, maybe you would like to discuss this: actually gone home isn't a game its a walking simulator hahaha get it? you walk. and it simulates this action, of which it is the only one in the game. owned.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Endorph posted:

uhhhh super metroid has that intro where she explains literally what happened in the previous game and what she is doing now (giving the last metroid in the galaxy to scientists to use for energy generation), then ridley comes and steals it, she follows him down to zebes. she finds that the space pirate base from metroid 1 has been rebuilt and expanded and fights through it to stop them from using the metroid for evil or whatever.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Here is a detailed guide for Metroid's antagonists:

Metroid 1: Mother Brain wants to clone an army of Metroids and use them to gently caress poo poo up.
Metroid Prime: The Space Pirates are dicks. I mean, they're called "Space Pirate" ffs.
Metroid Prime 2: Some blob monsters have made an evil version of a planet and want to consume the normal version of the planet with their EVIL planet!
Metroid Prime 3: The evil goo from the first Metroid Prime is actually sentient, really evil, and wants to take over the galaxy!
Metroid 2: Metroids are a living liability. It's genociding time!
Super Metroid: See Metroid 1.
Other M: The Federation is evil and wants to make their own Metroids and maybe Ridleys?!!?!?!?
Fusion: See Other M, but without the evil Ridley clone army.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Mother Brain is clearly lashing out because Father Brain left her, the subtext is everywhere

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

stux posted:

I'm going to shoot up a bunch of dissolved crack in sprite and argue with trolls on the internet

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i never posted that, thats messed up. mods?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I've hacked the code

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

steinrokkan posted:

Well, the space pirate are basically the Mongols, should we kill all the Mongols

Mongols are pretty chill these days so I'm going to say this not a good idea. Many years ago they were kind of assholes so you may have had to kill many to survive.

Space Pirates need to chill the gently caress out smoke some doobs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Mongols are pretty chill these days so I'm going to say this not a good idea. Many years ago they were kind of assholes so you may have had to kill many to survive.

Space Pirates need to chill the gently caress out smoke some doobs or something.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/07/a-mongolian-neo-nazi-environmentalist-walks-into-a-lingerie-store-in-ulan-bator/100547/

• Locked thread