Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

MC posted:

Jamie Reeves, Davis has been exchanging some small talk with you during the morning. He then looks you up and down, and says, "You need some skin on your bones, man! Why don't you come by my place after school, and I'll cook you up something good. Always need the practice, and nothing's better than cooking for company." Now that it's day, you've noticed that Bernie has a black eye. You both had the same shifts last night, so it must have happened sometime between work and now. What do you do?

Jamie is passing her friend some of her own green corrective concealer, since the color of her face has been changing under her makeup, when Davis makes his invitation. Jamie's been watching him. He's been trying to learn how to spin his ink and lead writers like they were drummer sticks. Not much progress has been made, though, he's been dropping them off the right side of his desk over and over, then asking Bernie or Mags to pick them up for him. Hmm.

"I like to eat raw, can you do that?" she asks him, which he falls over himself asserting.

"Then thank you, I will! You're a true...uh," she looks thoughtful for a moment then turns to Bernie, "So if friends always watch each other's backs, what do you call someone who always watches your front? They aren't all 'Davis' are they?"

Turn on Davis; Shut Down Davis: 2d6-1 4 2d6+2 10

I'll take a string on Davis.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, Davis laughs, copping to taking an eyeful, but apparently unphased by being called out. Bernie laughs and adds, "She can't get enough sushi. I think if she could, it's all she'd eat. Though, she's been getting pretty good at cooking steaks."

She slides the concealer back to Jamie, a grateful look on her face. She then asks, "So, weren't you going out with your other friends tonight? Toby's really been making all of you burn the midnight oil lately."

Davis raises a questioning eyebrow at this, but doesn't say anything.
Jamie shrugs at Bernie, "Jeanine's the real taskmaster if you ask me... 'get this,' 'get that.' I don't even get a taste of whatever she's cooking up at the end of the night! Jamie Reeves, extreme grocer." Hm, that might have been loud enough for hear. She lowers her voice, and starts asking a bunch of honest, straight-faced questions, "That reminds me, Burn, what's the protocol for this Davis thing? Is it gonna be 'dinner with the family,' for getting to know ya, and this is how I'm gonna look when I'm old? Maybe a potluck, for sharing and celebrating, that I need to bring some of my fish to and try a little bit of everyone else's? Or will I be 'eating out?' poo poo, who gives who the tip at the end? The boy, right? Or do we split it? What's so funny?"

She's not completely oblivious that she doesn't know the answer to her last question. Jamie liked making her friend shake her head, nod, start to giggle, then throw her head back and laugh. It was like the green movie in places, but Jamie didn't want to think about that right now.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 10, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Jamie, you and your friend have managed to attract Mr. Lenoard's attention. He peers over his paper and says, "Please keep it down to, at most, a low rumble." You can tell he's not mad at either of you, but he is serious. Bernie stifles her laughter a little more, and Davis shakes his head, smiling his own smile, "Girls and their secrets." Bernie sticks her tongue out, but it's all in good fun. He asks, "So, what have the two of you been doing since you've been back?" Bernie freezes up, looking at you to make sure you both have your stories straight before answering.

Which teacher have you seen come into Madam Bouvier's? Aside from the idea of being caught working there, what made you scared of her?

Jamie lowers her head a little after Mr. Leonard looks her way. Just like she did when he and his wife walked into Bouvier's. Mrs. Leonard left him on the floor to go upstairs, and orders for buckets of ice--no wine bottles, just the ice--came down after her, one after the other. The ones that came back were half full, hot to the touch and tinted red. The memory makes her morbid, and colors her smooth reply to Davis's inquiry about her and Burns' work, "Nothing that interesting. Mostly a whole lot of wet, hot, barely-legal dishwashing. Our poor nails never knew what hit them... So if you ask me to do dishes after dinner I will probably throw you in the sink, with all the knives. Heehee! It'd be your soup du dernier jour!"

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 11, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, Davis attempts to pair off with you. Also, you notice Magdalena doesn't have a partner yet, but she's eyeing the fridge where they store the chemicals and dead animals. What do you do?
What is the strangest custom of the Dry Selkies?

Jamie picks a seat too close to the fridge and turns pale from the stench, which no one else seems to notice like she does. It smells like the FEMA trailers where the sick people stay. Mags is stealing glances at the minipigs anyway, and licking her lips not quite as bad as when she first burst out of that container but bad enough to worry her. Temptations eroded willpower like waves over Dry Kingdom reefs. And unlike most Dry Kingdom Selkies who just worry and talk and poison their bodies so no one can eat them when they die, Jamie puts her body on the line and acts. She crouches by her friend's desk and speaks her quiet but heartfelt warning, "I know what you're thinking Mags, but don't do it. They're adulterated. They'll taste bad and probably knock you out like that one pristine looking older guy you tried to convince me to share with you. I know you came back to me later but I was still worried... If it helps you can bite me a little to tide you over. Not too hard, and not where people can see."

Turn on Mags: 2d6-1 4
I failed...

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 11, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Magdalene, Jamie, Benjamin apparently has better hearing that you think. Not enough to hear everything, but boy did he get an earful. His eyes grow wide, and then a lecherous grin spreads across his face. "Man, you girls are freaky. In the middle of class, huh? Well, if you want, I suppose I can linger in front of the table for a moment. You know, give you some cover to do your thing." What do you do?
Magdlene, you're going to have to roll Hold Steady if you don't take the opportunity. If she takes it, Jamie, you'll take a harm and have to roll Hold Steady.
Jamie whispers at the same volume, knowing the eavesdropper can hear, "This john thinks he can play bouncer and get an eyeful for free? In his dreams. I'm going to the 'powder room.'"

shut down Ben: 2d6+2 13
I'll give him, 'off-white knight.'

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie dances before the rare, huge mirror while she waits for Mags, humming a tune. They didn't have mirrors in the Deep Kingdom big enough or defined enough to do anything other than flicker with light, so she had never even seen herself--well, her own image, first hand before she arrived in the Dry. All she knew then about the body she saw in the mirror now was from others, from their laughter--confused, surprised, mocking, stupid laughter--which carried much farther in the water than in the air. Out here, you could speak, laugh, moan, or cry out, never sure if anyone else heard, and by extension never sure if anyone else cared.

She realizes Mags isn't coming halfway through the song. But no one else does either so she finishes it. Jeanine won't just believe her if she says Mags is the one she sent her after, she'll need proof to make sure 'it' isn't pulling her leg, and now for the first time ever the she's deciding not to bite first and ask questions later. So much for Jamie's plan to get the teeth-marks to prove that Mags bit that body at the so-called end of the trail. She wants her drat pelt back, what's she gonna do?

gaze: 2d6+1 7

Confusing and Alarming.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie hums at the scene of graphic violence in the toilet bowl. Guess Mags wasn't going to be able to hold out as long as she thought she could. Maybe she was only able to turn down giving Jamie a bite because of her stupid freak body. The Dry probably knew just like the Deep did, except Jamie couldn't hear or understand their mockery and disgust.

She thinks about last period. Davis wasn't throwing her any pens after all, just food. "You need some skin on your bones, man," he'd said to her. He tricked them, lazily, to get an eyeful, but pitied her. Being called a man because of her skinniness seemed almost as bad as when Jeanine called her 'it.' He probably thought she was hungry and weak enough to beat and eat.

The announcement echoes in the empty bathroom. Mags and Toby to the principal's office. Not wanting to look at Davis or Jeanine, Jamie decides to try eavesdropping on them. It was good practice to know things about Toby that didn't require him to tell you them, because for all that boy complained about his dad keeping secrets, it sure seemed to run in the family.

So she goes to an adjacent room leans up against a wall, vent, or door, and puts a drugstore stethoscope to it. Then she covers the earpiece with her cellphone.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie gets a bad feeling and texts Toby a warning about the policeman stepping out of his vehicle.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 12, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves

I get a text back from Toby asking me--he never asks irl--to keep an eye on Mags. They were both gonna owe me so many tips. The cop takes her to a more private room, so I watch them from the halls then run around the outside of the building to see that dumbass pull the curtains. That makes prowling right under the window and putting my stethoscope on the window all the easier. It doesn't sound good, and Mags keeps on escalating it.

So I step away from the window, pull out one of those men's prepaid phones and call in a suspicious young African American man with a BB gun prowling around Archbishop Blanc High School. Then I look around, see no one and no cameras, and huck something into the window, shattering it to pieces. Then I try to hook back up with Mags inside and walk her to PE. Or to the bathroom if she's feeling peckish.

hold steady to be a smooth criminal: 2d6+3 13 should be 14 because the cop is a stupid flatfoot. I'll carry +1 forward because I love crime.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 12, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves

I call in an anonymous tip to the Picayune about a trigger happy cop shooting at a young black man near a school after I thought I saw a bird fly into a window. Maybe that'll get his rear end fired. Then it's off to Mags.

"Wait! So did you eat someone alive or is this all a big mistake?" I show her the shots I took of the body Jeanine led me to, then zoom in on some teeth marks. "Either way I think I know someone who wants to help: Jeanine. She wants to meet you, the person who did this, but doesn't know you're you--I recognize those dainty little bites, but she doesn't-- so I want you to bite me so I can match the teeth marks to the thing and we can all meet and talk it over! Maybe it'll be fun...

"Okay maybe not but you owe me because I just got rid of that cop."

I nod toward the empty bathroom, "So, uh, what do you like: breast or thigh? Let's make this quick."

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 12, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves

In the restroom, I pull one side of my sleeveless shirt back up after Mags turns down my breast. She's pretending to care about me when someone else is hurting me and she won't do anything about it, so I let her know.

"I don't care if it hurts. Jeanine has something of mine and I won't get it back until I can prove that you're who she's looking for, then I have to get her something else of yours besides that locket. Ugh! then she'll just give you the shakedown too and you'll be where I am now. I don't know what to do..."

We go to the gym and I get an answer: run laps is what I should do according to Coach Randal. So I run like Mask is after me. Then I run like Jeanine dropped my pelt over there and maybe I can get it before she does. Then I run back like Mags is about to eat someone alive right in front of the cops. Coach doesn't get a chance to yell at me to speed up and I don't listen to him when he tells me to slow down. I push my stupid legs until they stop working, watching Jeanine all the while.

After PE I'll sit under an ice cold shower and pretend to be shivering instead of quaking with anger. There were no Jeanines back home, who'd steal your pelt and leave you to die, let alone lead you by the nose with it. I needed to make her stop pretending her stupid secret rules were more important than mine.

Ocean's Breath: 2d6+2 9+1 fwd from holding steady = 10. The ocean the ocean takes away something that it thinks is bothering you, [...] but the ocean doesnt understand the human world very well and causes serious or unexplainable damage in the process.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves

"She thinks I'm a stupid freak and you're an evil murderer. Since she's always right about everything, we'll dance to her tune until we can get her alone for a private show."

I tell her my plan: after school I buy a stun gun and some blood with my tips, then we go somewhere private but recognizable, then we send Jeanine some texts. I say I found the thing, and to bring me my pelt. Then Mags 'steals' my phone, and texts her a threat that she caught me snooping around and should bring the locket too and trade me for it. When she comes over to find me I'll hit her with the stun gun and we'll have a little talk about tricking people, stealing from them, and extorting them. Then we hug it out and get something to eat.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 12, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, Bernie catches up with you after PE, asking where you ran off to. Accepting pretty much any answer you give her, she then starts giving you advice for your date tonight. What advice does she give that doesn't make any sense to you? She also mentions that there's a party tonight in the park, and the whole class is invited. She says you should come over after the date. What do you do?
Jamie Reeves
"I lost something in the bathroom and it took forever to find it again..." is my half-truth. I didn't have it to begin with and I sure as hell didn't find it.

All of the advice she gives me makes sense except this last thing before we go our separate ways, "No matter what he does or how you feel, I'll never respect you if give it up on the first date. You have to see if he can win an away game first. Don't do anything I wouldn't do!"

Did Bernie just call me 'it?' Was she talking about my body like it's separate from me and wasn't right there at the time, listening? I kind of figure out the home game versus away game thing, but I've seen a movie that makes it a lot harder to imagine what she wouldn't do...

So I tell Davis that we're going to the park after dinner to party off the calories. It's gonna be a crazy night, and at the end of I just want to go home with my pelt, my name, my freedom, and my Bernie.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Anastaise posted:

"Hey Jamie, how was Phys Ed?" I say, tryin' to sound innocent. "You seen Jeanine around anywhere? I had a question for her. About the uh, chemistry project. I was gonna talk to her at PE but of course Toni and I got hauled in. We just took some bullshit off the counselor for bein' late but I hear Maggie had the goddamn police after her! What the gently caress?"
Jamie Reeves
"Oh Jeanine? You don't find her, she finds you...

"Just kidding, I'll text her."

While I'm distracted typing Ana gossips about something I know all the facts about, "Did you hear that the cop tried to shoot some kid out the window in the middle of his interrogation? I guess whenever they gently caress up by asking questions first it's only a matter of time before they make up for it by shooting at someone later."

I'm surprised that my voice cracks at that and my eyes well up when I think about Mags getting shot dead, turned into something she would eat. I realize that when she said I was 'more to her than just a meal,'--even though according to Davis I need skin on my bones--she might have meant more that my life was precious to her than that my nutritional value was relatively low. I smile at Ana, embarrassed and surprised at myself.

"I dunno, I just wish I could keep her safe. Gotten kind of close since the storm... er, not rubyfruit jungle* close or anything." I can feel my face turning ruby red, though.

A gay bar named after a the lesbian novel.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
"You ever been afraid something's wrong with you then hear everyone says so behind your back, Ana? You'll start to agree them, like they know something you don't, instead of trying to prove them wrong..." I sniff and try to speak normally and coherently but fail.

"I sent your text. No need to thank me, you've done enough already. Bye."

shut down ana: 2d6+2 6

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau posted:

While Anastaise is crying and trying to apologize I watch Toni flee. Clearly she has been telling stories about me. I do not know what she has seen, or thinks she has seen, but I will need to discredit her. The alternative is...well, it might solve two problems but it would likely raise a dozen more. Rather than give chase I sit down next to Ana, and gesture for Jamie to sit on the other side. I put my arms around her and gently stroke her hair while she sobs.

"Je vous pardonne, mon ami. A misunderstanding, I'm sure. I appreciate your concern for Jamie's well-being, and I can assure you my intentions towards her are perfectly honorable. I promise I will not harm her, or you. I should not have been so harsh. Now, dry your eyes. I will stay with you as long as you need."

She smells so...strange. Like rum, and smoke, and...fresh earth?. A good smell, but not one that suits her. I rest my head on her shoulder and listen to her breathing while she recovers her self control.

Turn on Anastaise: 2d6+3 11

Using terrified to gain +1, taking a string.
Jamie Reeves
I follow Mags's lead and we hug it out with Ana instead of fighting. My friend hugs her neck and brushes her hair with her fingers, so I hold her hand in both of mine, massaging it gently, and lay my head in her lap. I hear the ocean waves in one ear, whispering to me the secrets of Ana's sorrow and of what has her so scared,. Then I close my eyes so I can see them too.

gaze: 2d6+1 10
the visions are lucid and detailed; the visions show you what you must do.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, you close your eyes so you can better hear the whispers of the ocean. A scene swims into vision. Anastaise and Toni are in the bathroom. Toni is a mess, while Anastaise is concerned. Toni says something to Anastaise, who reacts with disbelief and horror. Anastaise watching the bathroom so Toni can recover.

You strain to hear what they're saying, but you can only hear the ocean whispering.
"Anastaise knows, but does not believe. The truth has been given to her, but she hides it in the depths, like a pearl. She herself is a child of two worlds, but does not accept others."

You open your eyes, but the vision doesn't end. As you look up, you see that Anastaise has a sword hanging over her head, ready to drop at any moment. An impossibly tall dry selkie is holding it idly in his hands. As you stare up into his face, you realize that he isn't really a dry selkie. He's just wearing a skin, like you wear your dolphin skin. It slips another inch closer, and Anastaise unconsciously flinches. The Selkie Who Isn't a Selkie is looking down at her, without anger or rage, but disappointment on his face. The sword slips closer and closer to Anastaise's neck.

A sob from Anastaise brings you back to yourself.
The Ocean doesn't like him. It wants you to unmask him.
Jamie Reeves
Poor Ana, she's just like me, haunted by a powerful masquerader who wouldn't hesitate to murder one of his own. The difference is that the ocean wants me to hide from mine, and to help her fight hers. I'll do it. But first Ana has to believe.

I pretend to read her palm, because that'd probably be less weird for her than knowing that I heard it from her lap-shell, then I roll over and look up at her. "Ana, I see a there's a big scary man in your life, too. Whatever they say and do, you have to understand that you're not alone."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, while you're waiting, Davis wants to know what time to expect you, and he gives you his address.
Jamie Reeves
I tell him I'm hungry for food and to learn his cooking secrets ASAP, and have him walk me to his home. After all there's a party tonight and I want to leave myself plenty of time to get ready for it and do this errand.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I point the knife at him jokingly when he threatens to spoil this perfect fish, "That rum can wait! It'll go better with dessert anyway. I want to savor this." So I toast with water to the skill he taught me with the knife, "To making the most of it, no matter how little meat there is between the skin and the bones."

And savor the sushi I do. I smell it, lick it, and close my eyes and breathe while I chew it. "MmmmmMM!"

Turn on Davis: 2d6-1 9

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 14, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I stop his lips with my two fingers and stand up. "You made me dinner, so I'll give you a show. But the rules are no touching, and no pictures." I smell and sip my rum as a timer for my dance, showing him how to slow down and enjoy things with new eyes, not just rush to the conclusion. When I finish the glass, I'm topless behind my right arm. Then I turn around and pick up my stuff, ready to go.

"I had a great time Davis, maybe next time we can show each other more. I'll be at the party tonight!"

Hold Steady to Dance: 2d6+2 9
I keep my cool.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 14, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Jamie, how do you think your performance went? What did he do that made you feel beautiful? What did he do that made you feel like the freak you fear you are?
Jamie Reeves
I did okay. My body did what I wanted it to do, but... Well, the closest I felt to beautiful is when he spent a little while lost in my eyes, before they went back to my ribs and my collarbone and hand and elbow between them. He was so flushed and excited, but I was just a little proud of a job well done and having closed an equitable transaction. In the green movie, Bernie was excited by her own body, what she was doing with it, and what effect it had on her partner, and the emotions flowed back and forth, building on each other, making this whirlpool...

I didn't feel anything. I don't feel anything.

I have to meet up with Mags now, then Jeanine. On the way to meet her and possibly bail her out of her date, I test out the baby electric eel machine I bought, hearing it crackle. For a second I imagine testing it on myself.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
Sounds like she couldn't tell a dolphin's sex...

I hit send, "Ma choute du Roux, she should be on her way!" Then we send her another as we planned, and wait on the lookout. To pass the time I ask, "How was your date?" I sniff, "Smells like you guys had a few!"

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 14, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I turn a little red. "Nobody blew anything... He cooked for me--the food was also 'first class'--I danced for him. Nothing else to it. If you ever want to savor a little bit of perfect food for a change, you should hit him up."

shut down mags: 2d6+2 6

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I gasp, "Maggie!" and try to lift her blouse and push the skin back in place. It doesn't work. "I-I can try to sew it up before she gets here. We'll get you something to eat soon, I promise. Whatever you want."

I throw down my backpack, kneel down, and rifle through it for fishing line and a hook that can fill in for a stitching needle. I get the sixth sense suspicion that she's looking down my shirt.

I look up and confirm it. That doesn't surprise me. I feel like Bernie. That does.

"W-what are you gonna do?"

Turn on suspicious Mags: 2d6 9

Spending a string to offer Mags XP to admit what she meant by "more than a meal."

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 15, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
"There's no need... to ask." I don't need to ask any questions either, I know where she wants to bite me. I guide her there with my fingers in her hair in case this is the time she loses control.

It makes me want to sing.

Teamwork! Let's level up. I'm taking this.

quote:

Siren Song
When youre soaking wet, you can sing
a haunting song and roll with cold.
On a 10 up, all who hear it stumble
entranced toward you, though a
character that takes harm will stop
suddenly and gain the Condition dazed.
On a 7-9, all who hear it stumble
entranced toward you until they would
face harm or physical danger, and then
they choose:
S press forward and take the harm,
S or stop suddenly and gain the
Condition dazed.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
That sick man. Just like the sick person from the video. Maybe they're the same villain behind different masks and in a different eras. I think about what to say to Mags while I stitch her up, ironically after she opened me up.

"Mags. After we're done here, we have to talk--it didn't hurt or anything, there's something else. Now hide somewhere and I'll be the bait."

I lie down in plain sight, with my leg wound visible from Jeanine's approach. I'll whisper to her when she comes to investigate, "....Look...familiar...?"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I watch Jeanine darken the door through lidded eyes. She rushes to my side, but she's not mad, or looking down on me with that look. She's just afraid, guilty, and completely out of her depth. I hardly recognize her.

--The plan! I put one arm around her for support, and raise the other, with the stun gun, behind her back. I imagine the lightning, her heart skipping a beat, Mags and me going through her bag for what she stole from us. Yelling at her while she lies there convulsing. Crying...

I can't do it. I let the electric eel machine slip between my fingers, and just embrace her instead, "Nina... I'm sorry. I'm fine. Everything's fine."

I raise my voice for Mags, "Come on out, we're just gonna talk." I tell Jeanine kind of the truth: that Mags's my friend, that she's different, like me, that I asked her to bite me in case the mark matched the body, that she'd never kill anyone for food, that she's in control of herself, that she knows what she's doing--I blush--that we just want our things back and it's all water under the bridge.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
She pushes me away a little roughly, a little distraught, but I let her. It's going to be okay, she just needs some space, things are moving a little fast. Then she uses it to steal the eel. And she tells me she didn't even bring my pelt, and only brought the locket to threaten to destroy it if we didn't dance to her tune. At first all I care about is my pelt.

"Wh-what if I really were dying, and the last thing you could have done was let me die with my pelt... You never were going to give it back. You cheater! You just wanted to keep using me..." As Mags endures her inquisition I flush with anger. Her locket might be destroyed and it's all my fault, then she turns and looks at me like it's all hers. It makes something snap within me. I start to scream.

"What's wrong with you? You took everything from me, but I still realized that hurting you wasn't going to solve anything... But you won't give up anything. You always have to be right. In control. Better than everyone. On top, but you don't know anything. You don't LISTEN. You just TAKE! Things that are everything to people, that are nothing to you! WHY?"

I cry, and bleed, and glow with sweat. I start to repeat myself.

"Why can't we be friends...?" I just don't understand
"Why can't we be friends...?" it seems so impossible
"Why can't we be friends...?" for you to let go, like I just did, like Mags just did
"Why can't we be friends...?" not my boss, not your slave, not cops and robbers.

Not monsters and hunters. Just people.

It looks like I get through to her, she walks up to me, I take my eel back and remove the batteries and drop the pieces in my bag. I hug her again, cry into her shoulder, and whisper, "Thank you..."

Then I look up and Mags is in the hug too. And someone else! "Toby?"

Siren Song vs touchy cheating Jeanine: 2d6+4 10

Siren Song
When youre soaking wet, you can sing a haunting song and roll with cold. On a 10 up, all who hear it stumble entranced toward you, though a character that takes harm will stop suddenly and gain the Condition dazed.

I stop singing at the end.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 15, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I take a deep breath and explain everything to everyone. Where I'm from. About my pelt. About how Mags's nature, and how we met during the storm. About how Jeanine took my pelt and her people took Mags's locket. About my evil plan, and how I couldn't go through with it. About how I realized that we needed to understand one another and coexist.

Well, almost everything. I don't tell them about Mags and me... or about Jonathan Marlby. Those things are between us.

"That's everything."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
Gulp. I look down and whisper.

"I killed four gangsters. I was surrounded. And naked. They wanted to mate... I'm sorry, Toby."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
"Don't worry, it's nothing. Jeanine forced me to track down the thing that ate this dead girl, and I wanted to be sure it was Mags, so I asked her to bite me. Because I trust her. She was hungry, too, but she didn't hurt me." I look straight at Jeanine. She'll never trust me, and she'll lie to us all about it just so Toby won't be mad at her. And he won't suspect a thing because he likes her more than me. But he's right to. She's not a murderer, just a thief and extortionist.

"Toby, how sure do I have to be? That they want to mate. I don't want to be a murderer. I want you to trust me."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
"Yes, I want to earn what you got for free, what you abuse!"

Shut Down touchy, RB Nina: 2d6+4 9
We both lose strings.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

MC posted:

Warehouse crew, you hear a very, very out of breath voice yell from outside, "Pol- *pant* *pant* -ice. Come out! Or else!"
Jamie Reeves
"You guys run for it. I'd just leave a blood trail. Also..." I gesture to my white face.

"I'm cooperating!" I walk to the door with my hands up.

Hold Steady: 2d6+2 4

Welp.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 16, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
"Don't be dumb, I just fell. I'd be screaming if someone cut me. Am I free to go?"

Shut Down Cop: 2d6+2 4

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
"You rear end in a top hat!" Whatever, I'm sure I've given everyone plenty of time to escape. I start dialing Candy, one of my fellow waitresses who I know is not on a shift tonight, to be ready to pick me up from the police station. I don't want to miss the party tonight after all!

I've done this for Toby before, when it was just the two of us on a hunt. Hopefully he doesn't decide this is the time to play hero and save me.

e; I spend a string on Toby to make him hold steady before trying to save me or really do anything than run or hide like that one time.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 16, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I freeze and drop my phone before I make my call when I hear the gunshot. Mags, Toby, you were supposed to run! I start panicking. I have to help them but I already gave myself up!

I pick up my phone again and start kicking the window with all my might. I know the glass won't break but the frame around it might!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I'm not stupid. I know the police like to drive me to their pen because they know a strip club dancer or waitress will pick me up. This does mean they don't shoot at me though and will stop chasing Toby if I act as bait. I guess I do that a lot. Pretend to be bait...

Someone appears in the window I'm trying to kick out, and I reflexively close my legs. It's Mags though, and she lets me out. I hug her and feel wetness on my chest and hand. She's been heartshot clean through. "I need my bag, I'll fix you!" I run back into the building. Toby's got blood on his hands and the policeman's been speared through the head. A minute ago he forbid me from killing. What the hell changed?

I don't have time to ask him, I need to get my bag. I can't remember where I left it... and Jeanine's missing! She must be stealing my things again, I'd actually expect nothing less from her even at a time like this. I have to find her to find the bag. I open my senses. Tobacco smoke. I follow the trail like the blood of a wounded porpoise. I find her. And a familiar face.

Ana's bogeyman and Nina are sharing a cigar. Like they just mated. I knew it. She's evil.

But I don't have my stun gun. Just my phone. I take a picture. Maybe now Toby will see her for the monster she is.

I wait for her to leave, then find my bag nearby. When I rejoin the others she's being bossy--no, she's just repeating what her boss told her. All I do that she says is give Mags my shirt. I don't let her single me out.

"No! The whole building's something flammable. I'll drive the car in here, crash it, and make it look like that caused the fire and killed the man! His own stupidity."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
"Toby, give me the keys to the cruiser... I'll--see you guys all at the party." Stick the accelerator, dive clear, make sure the building lights up, and not with me in it. Just like the end of Batman Begins, but a car instead of a train.

Hold Steady to be Batfish: 2d6+2 8 keeping my cool.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
As soon as Toby and Nina are out of sight I carry Mags to my safehouse where we butchered those gangsters. I needle drain her lung, and bandage her sucking wound mostly but not totally, so she can push air out of it when she exhales but doesn't pull any in from it. That's the easy part.

The hard part is during the operation telling her about how everyone is a salty sea, and sometimes when you're on the beach when the tide goes out you find things, secret things. I don't think I need to lie about seeing it in the lines of her palm like with Ana, even though that's easier. Whether she understand how I know--as well as I do at least--I tell her about the man I saw, his name, what I know he did while she was asleep.

The hardest thing though, is that I want to know more about this man so I can kill him for hurting her. And the way for me to do that... well I don't want to damage her again after she got shot and it was all my fault. We didn't even get our things back from Nina because of me. All I got was that picture of her talking with the floating head over a shared cigar. Its hazy and drat, I should have recorded the sound too. It's nothing... useless... I don't have the right to ask anything of her or tell her to do anything.

"I'm sorry. I was weak, I let you down, so now, I'll do whatever you want."

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
Magdalene... how could Nina ask me to murder her? After all we've been through. There has to be some kind of way around it. To just kill her a little. When she models a new top it hits me. La petite mort. "It looks better on you than me... but the pants don't match. Why don't you try the pair I'm wearing now?" In the middle of the transaction, I move in for the little kill.

Turn on Mags: 2d6 9

Giving myself to Mags.

• Locked thread