Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Now that's the worst disguise ever. That guy's definitely an alien.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the unicorn pug wants someone to kill it

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

dogs always make me think how effective and dramatic selective breeding is

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

1gnoirents posted:

Now that's the worst disguise ever. That guy's definitely an alien.

If you don't like it, you can kiss my furry little butt!

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

dogs always make me think how effective and dramatic selective breeding is

uhh all dog breeds are exactly as they were 6000 years ago when god placed them on the earth for us to exploit

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Otto von Ruthless posted:

uhh all dog breeds are exactly as they were 6000 years ago when god placed them on the earth for us to exploit

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
In the last 100 years they have been bred with the brachycephalic deformity to such an extreme that they no longer even have muzzles.

In fact, some stupid breeder recently bred their "finest achievement," a pug with a concave muzzle:

It's a young dog and already has constant eye discharge.

Pugs used to look like this:

That was only ~125 years ago.

There are some breeders in Germany that are trying to restore the pug's size and muzzle back to 19th century standards:

Sorry to poo poo the thread OP, I do like pugs, so keep posting pics of em I guess, I just like to SJW a bit on brachycephalic animal breeding because I think it's mean to the nice doggies. :gerty:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Maldoror posted:

There are some breeders in Germany that are trying to restore the pug's size and muzzle back to 19th century standards:

Sorry to poo poo the thread OP, I do like pugs, so keep posting pics of em I guess, I just like to SJW a bit on brachycephalic animal breeding because I think it's mean to the nice doggies. :gerty:

ahh I love pugs but I could never own one because they are so unhealthy and I couldn't stand to see them suffer, but I'd have a restored pug in a heartbeat. The 125 year old version looks almost exactly like those pug-beagle hybrids that got popular a few years ago

also, other goon favourite corgis are megafucked and often lose the use of their hind legs by age 7 because they by definition all suffer from congenital dwarfism and the associated health problems

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 11, 2014

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Maldoror posted:

It's a young dog and already has constant eye discharge.

The discharge makes it look like the dog is weeping about being alive. :( I love me some punched-in-the-face dogs like Pugs and Bostons, but there needs to be a limit that allows the animals to still breathe.

The restored Pug should become the new standard.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://vine.co/v/hWvK0WqFWKp

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Cuckoo posted:

The discharge makes it look like the dog is weeping about being alive. :( I love me some punched-in-the-face dogs like Pugs and Bostons, but there needs to be a limit that allows the animals to still breathe.

The restored Pug should become the new standard.

honestly, should we be doing it at all? isnt it kind of weird to start with?

yeah probably but nobody cares at all

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

honestly, should we be doing it at all? isnt it kind of weird to start with?

yeah probably but nobody cares at all

Of course it's weird and pointless but you'll pry the genetic abortions that are naturally unhealthy dog breeds out of the ~*pedigree dog fancier*~'s cold, dead fingers.

At least making sure the animal can breathe without built-in asthma or hosed up legs is a fair compromise.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I rescued my pug from being a breeder in a puppy mill so I didn't support the pug-industrial complex. She's actually really healthy, her muzzle isn't that short so she doesn't snort much.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
are pugs the ones where you have to stick your finger up their arse every week to empty their anal glands?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Fatkraken posted:

are pugs the ones where you have to stick your finger up their arse every week to empty their anal glands?

You need to do that with a lot of small breeds, but not nearly that often.

You need to clean pugs' face wrinkles out every week. Some other breeds are worse than that, I know a bulldog whose wrinkles have to be cleaned out several times a day.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Vacuuming your dogs face twice a week is a small price to pay

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i like chihuahuas, particularly mixed mutty versions, because they're hardy little bastards

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
but as to pugs I think the 19th century versions look better, but the regular pug is a cool little dog and I like my friend's pug a lot

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Why is it that people on the internet love a hosed up abomination that should've never happened?

Maybe it reminds them of themselves

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

i like chihuahuas, particularly mixed mutty versions, because they're hardy little bastards

They may be hardier than a lot of dogs in the toy size but Chis are also almost always, to a T, incredibly high-strung aggressive little shits. I've had more than one offleash Chihuahua run right up to me, growling and snarling at my shoe.

The only two consistently mean dog breeds I've ever run into, and this is talking about trained housepets and not poorly-raised guard dog breeds that have gone into a psychotic rage from being neglected and tied to a tree, are Chihuahuas and Shih-Tzus.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cuckoo posted:

They may be hardier than a lot of dogs in the toy size but Chis are also almost always, to a T, incredibly high-strung aggressive little shits. I've had more than one offleash Chihuahua run right up to me, growling and snarling at my shoe.

The only two consistently mean dog breeds I've ever run into, and this is talking about trained housepets and not poorly-raised guard dog breeds that have gone into a psychotic rage from being neglected and tied to a tree, are Chihuahuas and Shih-Tzus.

they can be vicious little hellions to people they don't know for some reason, meanwhile the humble pug loves everyone

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

they can be vicious little hellions to people they don't know for some reason, meanwhile the humble pug loves everyone

pugs have a constantly distraught look on their face, which is part of their charm. it's nice to be able to comfort this little creature that looks like it's always about to have a panic attack

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah, there's a difference between "good guard dog who isn't cool with strangers but remains controlled" and "psychotic rabid rear end in a top hat to strangers even if socialized" and those two dog breeds have a pretty bad case of that.

And yes Pugs don't have a mean bone in their body :3: Honorable mention to French Bulldogs, another animal that can't breathe but is incredibly sweet and hilarious to watch.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Pugs are utterly revolting, probably the worst product of dog eugenics there is

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gay Roads posted:

pugs have a constantly distraught look on their face, which is part of their charm. it's nice to be able to comfort this little creature that looks like it's always about to have a panic attack

Oh phew I was worried that we were breeding crippled dogs to live lives of continual pain and suffering for no good reason, carry on then

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5c8-OLBWAQ

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

We have a pug, we're the third owners. He's a good dog and doesn't have as bad of brach issues as most do.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

From the same guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVCl8TIdz4

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Maldoror posted:

[pugs don't got noses anymore]

Counterpoint: Pugs fuckin own. :colbert:

EDIT: ... but yeah, it'd be great if they didn't all have to spend their entire lives in constant pain and pointless suffering. :smith:

Goddammit Maldoror, I'm sad now! People aren't supposed to get sad looking at pugs! That's just not what pugs are bred for! Dick! :mad:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 11, 2014

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AB1An3-Rpk

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I mean just look at this!

This is an animal whose ONLY desire in life is to make you smile, and put just a little bit of joy, laughter, and glad-tidings into your cold, black goon hearts. And you people are sitting here making sadposts about their faces being removed through selective breeding?

How do you think that makes them feel!?

Shame on you! Shame on you all!! :mad:

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I like a lot of dogs but pugs are my favorite to be around.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
in case it's not obvious, the problem with having a short face is that the soft tissue doesn't shrink when the bone does. it still develops as the dog grows in the womb even when all the bony structures aren't. so all the stuff that should be fitting in a long face is shoved backwards because there's nowhere for it to go.

and thats why short faced dogs can't breathe. hth

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

Cuckoo posted:

is your shoe okay?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Many of the Ewoks seen in the background in Return of the Jedi were actually pugs. One of them was actually Jim Henson's pug named Indiana which gave Jim the inspiration for Chewbacca and the titular character in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pug skull looks the result of a Predator raping sarah palin

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

pugs are great and all but I prefer my rescued mutt who can survive extreme weather conditions and can actually hunt like the predator he is supposed to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My former roommate has a pug. I got really stoned once and couldn't stop laughing at how dumb it looked.

• Locked thread