Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
marmite > vegemite. I use marmite in a lot of salad dressings, and generally just enjoy eating it off a spoon. :) :) :) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
All these people complaining about marmite spreadability need to know about the Big Squeeze. It's got one of those no-drip style caps that makes it easy to distribute marmite on anything/everything.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wildsnaps/3348903616/in/gallery-git-72157622783502028/

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Vegemite is great but for gently caress's sake if you're new to it don't just eat a spoonful or slather it on something a centimetre thick. It's strong, a thin scraping on some buttered toast is all you need.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Everyone's still eating the wrong brand but I did get to enjoy it with lots of butter and bread.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I have eaten Marmite all my life. In the past few years, I got some Vegemite. I feel like the difference between the two is like the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Given that I am a Coke partisan who drinks Pepsi if a restaurant gives me no other choice, I totally understand why people are more invested in one over the other,

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

But... salt is one of the points of eating it. That's like low sodium soy sauce or something.

http://www.amazon.com/mamebisios-4571258121749-Salt-free-Soy-Sauce-mamebisios/dp/B00EMMYVYI :cawg:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
They do a vegemite pizza at the place up the road from me.

Unsurprisingly you can only order it as a small sized pizza.

Never been that desperate for pizza - yet!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

While doing some shopping the other day, I happened to be passing by a shop called Treats From Home which sells stuff from England, so I thought I may as well see for myself how Vegemite compares with Marmite.

"Hold up a minute," you're thinking, "that jar clearly says 'Our Mate'. What is this, some shoddy knockoff?" No, it's just a trademark issue. In Australia the name "Marmite" is owned by Sanitarium. Anyone in the UK who wants to try the Sanitarium version, I'm told, can find it under the name "NZ-Mite", although I wouldn't recommend it.

The first thing I noticed was the difference in texture. Vegemite is quite thick but very spreadable whereas the Marmite was gloopy like honey, and wanted to stick to the knife rather than the toast. The flavour was very similar, but the Marmite was a bit stronger and became a little overpowering after a few bites. There's not much in it, but I'd say Vegemite is definitely the superior option.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Bob_McBob posted:

You people should all be ashamed of yourselves :colbert:

:britain:

This is God's Truth.

Warm toast, butter, Marmite.

Aged cheddar optional, but delicious.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
On the very off chance my vegan friend shows up, Vegemite is going to be the secret ingredient in my stuffing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got a little jar of Marmite at World Market the other day and had it on some sourdough with butter. It's loving delicious and I don't know how anyone could dislike yeast extract.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
For the people who find Marmite and Vegemite too hard core, there's also nutritional yeast. Find it very handy for stocks and soups where I dont want the heavy flavor of Marmite and Vegemite.

Edit: Is nutritional yeast too OT for this thread? Its like the white meat of yeasty umami products

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I was at World Market today and bought some Marmite because of this thread. They had Vegemite, too, but it was twice the volume and price of the Marmite, so I went with Marmite.

Holy cow it tastes like concentrated salt. I put a thin smear across buttered toast and then drank like a liter of water. There's a bit of a savory, meaty aftertaste. It's like if you boiled down a gravy into the thickest paste you could make. I wouldn't say it's disgusting or anything, but it felt like drinking straight soy sauce.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What's what you get for not buying Vegemite (it's at a more tolerable concentration)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now wait a few days until you get a craving out of the blue. That's how it gets you.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

ColdPie posted:

I wouldn't say it's disgusting or anything, but it felt like drinking straight soy sauce.

Should have bought the Vegemite.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

If you like any of the mites, pick up some twiglets from a UK importer asap. They're like little puffy whole-wheat pretzel sticks covered in marmite and impossible to stop eating.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FATWOLF posted:

If you like any of the mites, pick up some twiglets from a UK importer asap. They're like little puffy whole-wheat pretzel sticks covered in marmite and impossible to stop eating.

oh poo poo, I forgot about faggots! these things are amazing, I picked some up by accident once and was strangely addicted. well I guess not so strangely considering I love *mites

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

FATWOLF posted:

I'm not a big Marmite fan (Bovril all day every day), but I will go to town on Twiglets. Not sure how this works.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Twiglets taste like slightly burnt toast with Vegemite. Delicious.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I can't get enough of this loving poo poo!

Seriously I'm going through a jar of marmite like every two weeks. I have butter-marmite toast almost daily. I miss it if I don't have it. What have you done to me?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

ColdPie posted:

Seriously I'm going through a jar of marmite like every two weeks. I have butter-marmite toast almost daily. I miss it if I don't have it. What have you done to me?

You have become a better, more well-seasoned person.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

ColdPie posted:

I'm :australia: so marmite is heresy but you can make a hot drink out of your vegemite (or marmite you sick freak) by adding a chunk to hot water and dissolving it. Something a bit different for your late night warm drink in winter.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Bizarrely, a Polish flavoring company I purchase from sent me a 145g tube of Vegemite with my last order. However, it's Australian Vegemite.

Anyway, it's delicious, as always. I stir a little bit into a cup of Assam/Nilgiri/Ceylon tea in the morning occasionally - wakes me right up.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Birb Katter posted:

I'm :australia: so marmite is heresy but you can make a hot drink out of your vegemite (or marmite you sick freak) by adding a chunk to hot water and dissolving it. Something a bit different for your late night warm drink in winter.

They've don't carry vegemite at my supermarket, but I'll pick up a jar next time I'm at World Market.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You have become a better, more well-seasoned person.

Literally more well-seasoned, thanks to the insane salt content of Marmite :v:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Following the schadenfreude thread has made me a fan of LA Beast. For those unfamiliar, he does stupid eating challenges. I just found this one, and immediately thought of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPynEc0LpNs

If I had the financial resources to buy Marmite, I'd call him out and make a video of me eating three jars of that stuff. I can easily eat it by the spoonful.

I recently just finished the jar I bought as a holiday treat, and can't afford more (yes, I'm that broke).

Lifehack: when you get to the bottom of the jar of your favorite 'mite, put some water in it and shake it. Use this Marmite juice to flavor your rice or whatnot, like you would stock. Big Bullion hates this one trick!

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
Marmite + butter in hot pasta (spaghetti, linguini, etc) is rather nice.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

no thanks posted:

Marmite + butter in hot pasta (spaghetti, linguini, etc) is rather nice.

Unnngh, stop making me crave more Marmite. I'm drooling like a Pavlov dog. Why do I even look at this thread?

But yes, a lil' dollop of Marmite in anything is (salt + umami) X1000. I wish I didn't have to pay ridiculous prices at World Market to enjoy it here in the US. :(

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You can buy a loving kilo (2 x 500g jars) on Amazon for twenty bucks. They've got other permutations too, like 4 x 125g or 2 x 250g. But the kilo is the best price and I don't think even a 500g jar will go bad any time soon.

I bought some Vegemite. I can see why people are fierce about their preference. It's similar, but very noticeably different. Far sweeter and less intense than Marmite. I'm reserving judgment for now until I've tried more.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Vegemite and cheese sandwiches are one of my favourite nostalgia foods, although it's definitely better with proper cheese instead of Kraft singles.

Every time I see people who aren't Australian or British try Vegemite or related products, they always eat a goddamn giant spoonful of it and declare it gross. It's not loving peanut butter, unless you're really used to the taste eating a spoonful of it is going to be gross. Someone needs to find these people and give them a proper piece of Vegemite on toast or with cheese.

Vegemite also makes an excellent bribe for dogs, every dog I have offered Vegemite to goes loving nuts for it.

ColdPie posted:

But the kilo is the best price and I don't think even a 500g jar will go bad any time soon.

Vegemite will pretty much never go bad, it's way too salty for most bacteria to survive in.

Ten Becquerels fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 16, 2015

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

ColdPie posted:

You can buy a loving kilo (2 x 500g jars) on Amazon for twenty bucks. They've got other permutations too, like 4 x 125g or 2 x 250g. But the kilo is the best price and I don't think even a 500g jar will go bad any time soon.

I bought some Vegemite. I can see why people are fierce about their preference. It's similar, but very noticeably different. Far sweeter and less intense than Marmite. I'm reserving judgment for now until I've tried more.

No no no. What you want to get is the 'Big Squeeze'. It's $11 for 400g, but it makes delivery SO much easier. Just squeeze it onto your toast, into soups, directly into your mouth, whatever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Holy crap, a teaspoon of marmite in a mug of hot water is amazing!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Holy crap, a teaspoon of marmite in a mug of hot water is amazing!

A la serious eats, a little marmite in chicken/turkey gravy is killer , too

marmaduke1979
Mar 15, 2015

Rippling Muscles
Yeah I saw a tip for it being used in gravy, just wondered if it would work with beef perhaps?

marmaduke1979 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 18, 2015

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

For a tasty snack I like to lightly dunk almonds into Marmite.

Try it and thank me later.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Well, it may have caused my fiancee to call it off, two visits from the DHS, an audit on my taxes, and I've been ostracized from my neighborhood, but

I now own a kilogram of Marmite.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hey, cool. That's some Marmite.

I buy Vegemite in 1 kg pails with little handles. :smugdog:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

ColdPie posted:

Well, it may have caused my fiancee to call it off, two visits from the DHS, an audit on my taxes, and I've been ostracized from my neighborhood, but

I now own a kilogram of Marmite.

While I may not agree with your salty spread choice I'll fight to the death for your right to have a kilo of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
marmite best mite

• Locked thread