Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Couldn't find any threads dealing with satellite or/and cable providers.
We're out in the sticks beyond where cable is run. (Man I miss Fios ) We currently have Dish basic with whole house DVR. That said we only have 2 TVs hooked up and are soon to have a theater room completed. It will cost us for a box for this third location, so we are looking at our options.

We are well past our obligation to Dish so were wondering what the general consensus is between Direct TV and Dish at this point. No need for anything beyond basic as we fill in what is lacking with redbox and amazon prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

I was a contractor technician doing DirecTv installs and servicefor just over three and a half years, so I can answer most technical questions about their stuff. I cannot help with any billing/pricing issues, didn't deal with that stuff.

I will say, that DirecTv's boxes seem to be the best all around to me. I have Comcast at my house, due to trees and internet bundling, and have dealt with removing all the other companies equipment from customer's houses. Our newest/newer boxes are just nice. Relatively small, aesthetically pleasing in form factor and color (nicely designed faceplates and such), very reliable, and they usually have better hardware, for example a standard 1 terabyte hard drive in the Genie box. The biggest plus though that I have heard from customers over and over is how the GUI is really nice. It's simple, very intuitive, and looks nice.

Any other questions related to hard ware, feel free to ask.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Biggest difference I've seen between the two is Dish Network's online streaming options are better (They have WatchESPN, DirecTV doesn't, and some other stuff) if that's something you want. Currently I have DirecTV and their whole home DVR works pretty well (I have the Genie), so you'll still have that if you switched.

LastInLine
Mar 15, 2006

Why stay in the Cape when you can be in the WAVE?

Mr_Ruckus posted:

Biggest difference I've seen between the two is Dish Network's online streaming options are better (They have WatchESPN, DirecTV doesn't, and some other stuff) if that's something you want. Currently I have DirecTV and their whole home DVR works pretty well (I have the Genie), so you'll still have that if you switched.
The contract finally ended so DirecTV will be getting WatchESPN this spring.

I have to say the best part about DirecTV is the hardware. The Genie is great and their software is solid and good-looking. I've been a DirecTV customer since 1997 and have absolutely no complaints.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I've been a Dish customer for about 10 years and am satisfied. I went with them because their DVR seems to be the best.

• Locked thread