Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yuyushiki deserves a season 2. Also it's still being published so there is still hope that they are just waiting until enough material for a second season is published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yuyushiki was OK, I'd watch more. I can't fully explain this but the SOL show I want back more than anything is Hyakko. Dunno why.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Xelkelvos posted:

IMO: NNB>Kiniro Mosaic>>Rabbits

:agreed:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Yuyushiki was OK, I'd watch more. I can't fully explain this but the SOL show I want back more than anything is Hyakko. Dunno why.

Here is your explanation: It is because Hyakko is cool and good and many of its characters did not get enough screen time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

chumbler posted:

Here is your explanation: It is because Hyakko is cool and good and many of its characters did not get enough screen time.
Also the chapters after where the anime ends are great, though they come out so rarely. I'm not sure if its a scanlator thing or the author is pulling a Nyankoi.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nate RFB posted:

You reminded me Hyakko exists. Thanks. More of that would be coo.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The 11th Animator Expo short went up. It's called Power Planet No.33 and it was helmed by Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Time of Eve, Patema Inverted):

http://animatorexpo.com/powerplantno33/

It's...uh...really freakin amazing.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Well that was absolutely incredible.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tokyo Ghoul's second season seems to have had artistic and budgetary bottlenecks lately, hasn't it?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't know, as I'm not watching it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It surprises me that anybody is still watching it. It's been disappointment after disappointment.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

HellCopter posted:

It surprises me that anybody is still watching it. It's been disappointment after disappointment.

Well, the manga's pretty popular. My partner loves the manga and is basically hatewatching the anime, which is something I just ... don't understand.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Great Rumbler posted:

The 11th Animator Expo short went up. It's called Power Planet No.33 and it was helmed by Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Time of Eve, Patema Inverted):

Definitely looks like something that would make for a great full-feature Yoshiura film. Cool as heck.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I really like heavy, slow-as-gently caress robots, so that one punch that was thrown was all I ever wanted.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
A Yoshiura short with this kind of response? I cannot wait to get back home to watch this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Great Rumbler posted:

I want more.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

HellCopter posted:

Tokyo Ghoul S2 both looks awful and is written awful. Which sucks, the director has a shitload of talent, he got an Oscar nom for a 3DCG film.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

Holy crap.

Please take all of Anno's budget and give it to Yoshiura, tia.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Great Rumbler posted:

What!?!?!?! You had me at "Time of Eve" but there's something *else* by him that I missed?

BRB, gotta go find this "Patema Inverted" stuff after watching the short ...

(Also, please don't forget the he also did "Pale Cocoon" ...)

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Tokyo Ghoul's second season seems to have had artistic and budgetary bottlenecks lately, hasn't it?

I'm watching it since I watched all of S1 and dammit I might as well commit. And this weeks episode was just painful to look at at parts. All that fighting and maybe a eighth of it was decently animated.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And yet again, one may as well wait for the BDs? Although if the budget is that deficient, I doubt even the BDs' inevitable extra animation would save it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

buzmeg posted:

What!?!?!?! You had me at "Time of Eve" but there's something *else* by him that I missed?

Patema Inverted owns. I actually liked it more than Time of Eve (which still owns, but a bit less than Patema Inverted).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Great Rumbler posted:

I want a mini-kaiju, so cute.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

buzmeg posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639321

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And yet again, one may as well wait for the BDs? Although if the budget is that deficient, I doubt even the BDs' inevitable extra animation would save it.

All the BDs will do is get rid of censorship like black bars and maybe do some cleanup. For the second season of a popular show based on a popular manga to have a budget this minuscule and animation so poor is really, really disappointing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

buzmeg posted:

Yeah, Pale Cocoon is good stuff. Aquatic Language was also neat. So was Harmonie.

Seriously, just give Yoshiura giant piles of money and let him make stuff already.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 31, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Completed 3 episode tests of shows without threads:

Kamisama Kiss 2 - Though there was a thread for the first season. It's more of the same quality. Pass.

Saekano (a.k.a. Boring Heroine Girlfriend) - I don't know what the heck was up with that terrible prequel episode, but the main series is solid. Like the concept of Chuunibyou without the terrible parts, mixed with the character interactions of Bakemonogatari without the terrible parts. But also without some of the good parts, and the knowledge that the ending will suck based on that prequel. Pass.

...and that's it. Everything else has a thread already. :thumbsup:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Saekano (a.k.a. Boring Heroine Girlfriend) - I don't know what the heck was up with that terrible prequel episode, but the main series is solid. Like the concept of Chuunibyou without the terrible parts, mixed with the character interactions of Bakemonogatari without the terrible parts. But also without some of the good parts, and the knowledge that the ending will suck based on that prequel. Pass.

That actually sounds really drat tempting. Was the prequel episode really that bad?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ViggyNash posted:

That actually sounds really drat tempting. Was the prequel episode really that bad?

It's not really worth it. To be fair, it might be worth watching if you're completely new to the club circle harem group formula, but otherwise, it's basically "does a cliche" "draw attention that it's a cliche to show that it's being self-aware" "continue to do the cliche" so it comes off as pretty boring rather than clever or funny to anyone who's familiar with the usual formula. The only real interesting scenes are when the otaku dude interacts with the main girl whose main character trait is that she's completely normal and not notable, mainly just because she becomes completely dumbfounded when he starts sperging about his activities. The other girls are all common archetypes, rivalries and all. At the moment though, the plot and where it's going feels all very formulaic though, so I can't really recommend it unless the endgame changes things up a lot which I doubt. Basically your usual stock self-aware club circle light novel plot.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 6, 2015

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

Personally, I don't find the show to be that bad. Just something to mindlessly watch and keep me mildly entertained. As for the preview episode, I thought it was quite obvious that the episode was intentionally bad and that it was a satire of itself (harem genre, typical anime formulas, etc.) The prequel is unrelated to the main story so far and was more of an episode to get a feel for the characters' personalities and how they behave, I suppose.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The latest from Animator Expo is an all-CG Evangelion short from Shinji Aramaki:

http://animatorexpo.com/evangelionanotherimpact/

There's just not much here in this one, especially after what we got from the one just before this. The CG looks really nice, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That was actually all of the fourth Evangelion movie, sorry.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was pretty bland only because the music and sound were boring as hell. I think the music was on a 20 second loop the whole time.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Sakurazuka posted:

That was actually all of the fourth Evangelion movie, sorry.

Oh ok, still better than the third I guess.

congratulations

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I could probably watch like 30 minutes of CG EVA start-up technobabble tbh
EDIT: with a better soundtrack though yeah

khy
Aug 15, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

It is a loving tragedy that Seven Deadly Sins got an anime but Kongou Banchou didn't.

(edit: by which I mean they're by the same author and Seven Deadly Sins is kind of generic but Kongou Banchou was ridiculous and over the top in all the best ways)

This, this, a million times this.

After I posted Kongou Banchou to the BSS manga thread I went back to re-read it and it's just as good or better the second time around. The fact that this series hasn't been made into an anime yet is simply criminal.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

khy posted:

The fact that The Breaker hasn't been made into an anime yet is simply criminal.
Fixed that for you.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Fixed that for you.

It's Korean, it'll never be made into an Anime.

Or has there ever been a case of korean Manhwa becoming animated before? Since korea has its own manga industry, does it have its own anime industry as well?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

khy posted:

Or has there ever been a case of korean Manhwa becoming animated before? Since korea has its own manga industry, does it have its own anime industry as well?

There was an anime made over Ragnarok Online, that Korean MMO RPG that was rather popular 10 years back. I think there also was a manhwa over it, the anime was Japanese/Korean co-produced or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

khy posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_God_%28manga%29

Technically(?)

• Locked thread