Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
AI purchases seem to be equal parts obsessively searching for the right car and casually picking up something cheap on Craigslist. The thread is meant to be more geared towards the former - post what you're thinking of buying so we can get excited for you and hopefully give you advice on things to look out for. For example, if I was looking at buying a 996, someone would hopefully clue me in to IMS retrofits and RMS foolery. Or, if I was looking to buy a C6, how I should be looking at the 2008+ refresh cars and swing a Grand Sport if I can.

So, what car is on your mind? Dump your thoughts here.

PS: FWIW, I have been thinking about both of these cars, but am not committed to either one yet - I was fine with the 996 headlights when they came out but really dislike them now, the naturally aspirated versions aren't that fast by today's standards, either. The C6 seems good bang for the buck but it's not really my style, I still have misgivings about the interior, and the Grand Sport hasn't really gotten cheap yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I'd like to get an 04+ crew cab pickup (maybe Toyota or Nissan) for my wife. It'd be a mom mobile most of the time, but a dump run and hardware store truck for me on the weekends. While I could get a beater pickup instead of using her car, that'd be one less parking spot for me to do something stupid like buy and 80s Corvette with a white exterior and red interior for me to release my inner mullet in.

My main concern is finding a truck that can take a few dents and dings with relative ease. Not because of my using the truck part, but because my wife backs into something about once a year.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Looking at 2003-2004 Mercedes E55 AMGs. Theyre going for around 15k with about 100k miles on them, and i WANT ONE. From what I can tell after reading up on them, theres a few expensive things to watch out for, but really, not that bad. As long as its been well maintained, they seem to be pretty reliable.

Im telling myself I wont regret buying one..

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Currently on beater truck lookout with a side of blown up Honda.

Would like a truck with a good towing capacity, but as far as budget I'm stuck with non-OD gasser models if I want to stick under $1000. Still cheaper than renting a uhaul or getting a tow in the long run.

I need a decent Honda with full interior and a mostly straight body to put in a nice drive train and sell for x4 what I have into it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

What happened to the S2000 phase? :v:

More SAABs. The last couple purchases have been domestics. :zombie:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Viggen posted:

I am on my way to buy a s2000 in like 30 minutes. I am a ball of anxiety.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Viggen posted:

I'm not convinced it's a big enough leap from the Miata to justify the price, but it's still under consideration. A C6 probably would be, and the detachable roof would let me get my sunshine in the summer but still be relatively enjoyable in the winter (I don't like driving the Miata with the top up for extended periods of time; my height makes visibility awful). The 996 kinda stemmed from the C6 idea, trading some of the performance for a nicer interior.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Viggen posted:

Honest question, have you ever considered getting into Volvos too?

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 13, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Fox body Mustangs. Four cylinder so I can write about the experience for the education of our children, before every last secretary 'Stang passes from this earth.

I was looking into light trucks but a friend's dad has a '90 S15 which I've agreed to buy whenever I make it down there.

edit: XJs for train station beater duty, if it comes to that.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 13, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
More Audi 4000/Coupes :smithicide:

Maybe a Mercedes and Volvo or two

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The only things left on my list are an M715, a J10 or J20, an M816, and maybe an M123A1C.

Admittedly if a Miata, E30 325ix, suzuki cappuccino, or 4x4 mantrans Subaru Justy showed up on the local craigslists for the right price in decentish condition, I'd be hard pressed to not jump on them.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I want a lot of things but I am out of space. I spent a long time looking at diesel trucks to tow cars around and landed on a new ram. I ordered it back at the beginning of August and it will be here any day now just waiting on transport from the rail yard to the dealer.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I keep tabs on all Biturbos within a 500 mile radius of me a few times a month just to keep tabs on them. For when the time comes that i'd need information like that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
J10 < J20 < M715.
Throw away the 60s-70s, install the 80s, run till broken, rinse lather repeat.

oh, and:

bikes. bikes, bikes, bieks, bieksbieksbieksbieksbieks.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I keep tabs on all Biturbos within a 500 mile radius of me a few times a month just to keep tabs on them. For when the time comes that i'd need information like that.

Sometimes I look at Biturbos on Craigslist, because my life just isn't miserable enough.

Pretty sure my next car will be something more reliable though. I'm planning on buying an STI in a few years, but right now I gotta get the WRX title issues sorted out.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I still troll CL for another 89-92 supra I miss mine and have a ton of parts for one still and a complete :krad: original 80's kaminari body kit for one.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I though you installed the Katamari kit on the truck.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm a little burnt out on cars. Im always gawking at rovers but right now I want tools and small engine related poo poo. My current obsession is I want to find an gas powered welder - generator

A: Because welder.
B: Because generator.
C: Because I want both and gently caress buying 2 machines that both make electricity.

That and I'm looking for a nice mig. Nothing car related though. :sigh:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I though you installed the Katamari kit on the truck.

You got jokes, I laughed way too hard at this. Rolling up balls of poo poo is one of my mindless guilty pleasure games.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Holdbrooks posted:

I still troll CL for another 89-92 supra I miss mine and have a ton of parts for one still and a complete :krad: original 80's kaminari body kit for one.

Have you seen the turbo manual one for like $1000? It pretty taken apart but you might be able to low ball the guy, unless that one is too much project haha.

I was considering that or the 280z on there but picking up the beater truck and catching up the deferred maintenance on the beater 5 makes this a no go.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mat_Drinks posted:

Honest question, have you ever considered getting into Volvos too?

Yeah, I have. I'd end up with a tragically broken 240 and a house full of cats. I can't stand cats.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Viggen posted:

Yeah, I have. I'd end up with a tragically broken 240 and a house full of cats. I can't stand cats.

1st gen v70s are fantastic cars

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I'm always casually on the hunt for craigslist hidden gems. Sadly they always seem to pop up days after I decide "Hey I haven't seen anything in forever, let's spend the craigslist car money." Which is honestly probably a good thing because I have nowhere to put anything so more cars = more public parking to deal with.

Always on my radar are cheap 80s japanese small pickups, and another cheap e30.

Anyone who's even ever remotely considered buying an e30 should. Don't think, just do it, I promise you won't regret it. There's just so many good things to say about them: light weight, well balanced, rear drive, available in 5sp, available with LSD, goddamn immortal iron block i6 that runs forever, 80s as gently caress, no airbags, no driving aids other than ABS, minimal power steering, mechanical throttle, very responsive throttle, and a very even powerband.. Unlimited swap options, easy and fun to wrench on.. Sure it may cost a bit more to own than a Miata at the end of the day, takes premium, and doesn't get the worlds best mileage.. but it also has more than 2 seats, and a big trunk, and also it's not a miata.

Same deal goes for e28's and e34's if the 3 series is a bit too big for you. You lose a lot of the fun with the added size and weight, but you can find some serious screaming deals on e28 and e34's because they've hit maximum depreciation and they're equally great cars in their own right.

tl;dr if you ever see a 318i, 318is, 325es, 325i, 325is, ix, any e30 with a 5sp, any e30 touring, or any e30 with a slicktop for under $1500, buy it right now while you still can.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 13, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I am beginning to look for a replacement for my E46 330Ci daily driver. It's going to be another BMW, but I still haven't narrowed down what I want...I like small cars, so an N54-powered 135i would be great fun, but on the other hand an N54-powered E92 335i would probably make a better daily driver overall. To make matters worse, V8 E60s are becoming hilariously cheap, and then there's that ever-present voice in the back of my mind saying, "you know, a V10 M6 would make a great daily driver!", which I am inclined to believe every once in a while.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Cakefool posted:

1st gen v70s are fantastic cars

Thats the one with the tapered sides so it doesn't get stuck inside, right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
V70R in manual.

I would settle for a V50 T5 AWD in manual as well.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Been really looking into a 4 door sedan to replace the miata. Was checking out 2000 era E39's and E320's, or just say gently caress class and buy a 2005+ panther car. I'm terrible at wrenching but have enough friends that I could keep just about anything running for parts + beer. Also muscle trucks because Roadkill

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
A3, Golf R, Focus RS (we'll see about that one). Needs to have 4 doors and at least RWD or AWD. WRX is a contender too. I saw something somewhere about a Fiesta RS? I'd order that in a heartbeat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i'm considering selling everything and getting a new f-150, but i don't know if i could survive with just a RWD vehicle, and 4x4 is an $11,000 option.

on the other hand, you can't have nice stuff around here between jerks in parking lots and road salt and gravel and winter. I might just carry on with my beaters. and wait for one to come up at auction for half price. I really want to strip and polish a whole truck.

Maksimus54 posted:

Been really looking into a 4 door sedan to replace the miata. Was checking out 2000 era E39's and E320's, or just say gently caress class and buy a 2005+ panther car. I'm terrible at wrenching but have enough friends that I could keep just about anything running for parts + beer. Also muscle trucks because Roadkill

I can't imagine going back to a panther after owning a 540. There are a few common, potentially expensive, but easily fixable problems that can come up, and some parts-cheap, labour-expensive preventative things you should do to make it right, but other than that, there shouldn't be any big surprises. there's a huge beater 540 club in the BMW thread. most guys do their own work so it's relatively cheap for us to drive, but i don't think you'll find anybody there that says the work/cost isn't worth it for how great the car is.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
My 840 needs a full drivetrain refresh - it burns oil, and the transmission slips when hot. I kind of casually troll Craigslist every now and then for 94-95 540 / 740 with lowish miles and good drivetrains for cheap, even though I've got no place to put something like that. Ideally, I'd like to put the good stuff in my 840, and then drop the oil burny motor and slippy trans into the donor car (assuming it's not wrecked) and resell it (with full disclosure, of course).

If I had a decent garage / shop, I'd be looking for wrecked E39 M5s for a much more fun swap :getin:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MrChips posted:

I am beginning to look for a replacement for my E46 330Ci daily driver. It's going to be another BMW, but I still haven't narrowed down what I want...I like small cars, so an N54-powered 135i would be great fun, but on the other hand an N54-powered E92 335i would probably make a better daily driver overall. To make matters worse, V8 E60s are becoming hilariously cheap, and then there's that ever-present voice in the back of my mind saying, "you know, a V10 M6 would make a great daily driver!", which I am inclined to believe every once in a while.

The E60 545/550i N62 isn't that great. Its got tons of power but it eats oil like a mother fucker. I still like the E39 540i way better.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm a little burnt out on cars. Im always gawking at rovers but right now I want tools and small engine related poo poo. My current obsession is I want to find an gas powered welder - generator

A: Because welder.
B: Because generator.
C: Because I want both and gently caress buying 2 machines that both make electricity.

That and I'm looking for a nice mig. Nothing car related though. :sigh:

You looking at those big millers to drop in the bed of a truck?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Currently researching the new Chevrolet Colorado. I'm digging the gas v6 currently available but I also really likethe 2.8l 4cyl Duramax in the 2016 model and hope it means more small diesel engines in passenger vehicles in the future. My next purchase might be that, or a new Subaru XV Crosstrek. Depends where I end up in a year from now, and if the 2.8 diesel gets as good mileage as I hope.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Why you don't use your real name on craigslist, item #1291:

quote:

What a piece of poo poo you are you told me it was a Christmas present and I look on craigslist and there is the bike for sale if I would have known that I would have not sold it to you

After I bought a 50 year old bike from him that was supposed to be "original," and found a bunch of modern crap on it and generally bad condition... then again, I did sell one of the accessories for 2x what I paid for the whole thing, but... welp. He mad.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Wait, is a random Craigslist seller mad that you are reselling something he sold?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You don't understand, that bike was a family heirloom, and he really didn't want to sell it, but Meatpimp smooth-talked him into it with a sob story which, given the current job market and price of meth, he couldn't say no to.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InterceptorV8 posted:

You looking at those big millers to drop in the bed of a truck?

The ones I'm looking at aren't much bigger than a house generator.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Crustashio posted:

Wait, is a random Craigslist seller mad that you are reselling something he sold?

Aye-yup.

InitialDave posted:

You don't understand, that bike was a family heirloom, and he really didn't want to sell it, but Meatpimp smooth-talked him into it with a sob story which, given the current job market and price of meth, he couldn't say no to.

Indeed. I replied to him, in three parts, summarized here:

quote:

Wow, that's quite the message... yeah, I told you it was a Christmas present and I thought it was original... the fenders were barely held on with modern sheet metal screws, the headlight was held on with a Torx head bolt, the axle was stripped and I couldn't get it into the car right... the wheelie bar wasn't even original it was some crap reproduction from 10 years ago...

And you're calling me names? That's classic. Look at what I'm asking, it's not like I'm making any money on the piece of junk.

Oh, wait, let's not forget the front tire that is SPLIT around the tread and the fact that those fenders didn't even come on that model of Wildcat originally. Seriously, you're calling me names when you sell me something supposed to be original when really it's barely better than scrap. I can't give my boy a present that's not right. I really hope you feel bad about calling me names, because what you did before and after was not right.

And one more thing -- you said it was a NOS slick rear tire. What new old stock is MADE IN KOREA?

I didn't tell him that I sold the repro wheelie bar for more than 2x what I paid for the whole thing. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CL drama oh no. When I was selling my rust free Florida XJ in new york for 2k over kbb value I got all kinds of scathing emails about how much of a scumbag I was and that I'd never sell it for that much. Sold it within a week :v:

• Locked thread