Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
So my boyfriend is having a rough time and I wondered if anyone here could give me an answer I could pass to him.

I'll let him explain in his own words:

quote:

I can’t remember my Yahoo password, and I can’t get the password reset email sent to my alternate email because the one I used is now no longer usable. I have no mobile alternate, and I can’t get my security questions for some reason.

Their phone service is loving AWFUL and their online support is equally loving AWFUL.

I’ve been trying to get in for three weeks, can someone please help? This is literally last resort!

So he tried to contact customer support help and then this happened

quote:

$100 FOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT HELP FROM THE loving CARE NUMBER

WHAT IS THIS poo poo

I FINALLY GET AHOLD OF SOMEONE AND IT’S $100 FOR HELP

THE gently caress

I JUST WANT TO ACCESS MY loving EMAIL, IS THIS SO HARD
So uh after that the customer service hung up on him when he screamed down the phone after hearing the fee which I agree is bullshit. Does anyone here know any good technical tricks for recovering your yahoo account, WITHOUT the usual fare?

Honestly I'm just hoping someone has some weird trick to get back in through some other way or maybe actually knowing what Yahoo would do or say without having to pay $100 for it cuz really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A good start would be to not scream at the only people capable of helping you. I've always had good luck finding a way to crack a joke or make the poor telephone slave smile. Honey vs vinegar, and all that.

Free email doesn't come with a lot of service. I imagine that your boyfriend will have to make a new email address. Also, you should get a new boyfriend; one that doesn't scream at randoms, can use punctuation and the shift key on his keyboard.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 13, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Unfortunately, free services dont usually have service. But what exactly does Yahoo want $100 for

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Comatoast posted:

A good start would be to not scream at the only people capable of helping you. I've always had good luck finding a way to crack a joke or make the poor telephone slave smile. Honey vs vinegar, and all that.

Free email doesn't come with a lot of service. I imagine that your boyfriend will have to make a new email address. Also, you should get a new boyfriend; one that doesn't scream at randoms, can use punctuation and the shift key on his keyboard.
Nah this is like the one time he's ever lost his poo poo in the four years I've known him so I was very surprised by his reaction to this cuz he's had worse news frankly. Seriously, $100 for getting a password back?

That's bullshit right there. But ah well, was hoping for a backdoor or something but thanks for the reply.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Are you sure it's on the up and up?
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-account/support-free-charge-yahoo-sln6349.html?impressions=true

There was a hacking ring that was hacking Yahoo accounts and then pretending to be Yahoo and charging to restore the account.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Scaramouche posted:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-account/support-free-charge-yahoo-sln6349.html?impressions=true

There was a hacking ring that was hacking Yahoo accounts and then pretending to be Yahoo and charging to restore the account.

That sounds more like it. Not getting any kind of support for free email is one thing, but being asked for $100 didn't seem normal based on the info

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Ahhhhhhhh now THAT sounds like something yes. So okay, if my boyfriend somehow ended up contacting a scam-service and thankfully did not pay them by raging down the phone at them, what is the REAL Yahoo care number to go straight to them direct on how to reset a password?

If anyone knows better than me that is so I don't get sidetracked by false info or unrelated poo poo cuz sometimes these security centre sites are kind of dumb to navigate.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FinalGamer posted:

, what is the REAL Yahoo care number to go straight to them direct on how to reset a password?

I don't think that's going to help - the whole reset system is very simple but relies on having access to the alternate email or phone number set up in the account or knowing answers to the reset questions.

If he has gone out if his way to ensure none of those work (and Yahoo would have been bugging him to confirm they were correct) then he can probably kiss goodbye to the account.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

FinalGamer posted:

Ahhhhhhhh now THAT sounds like something yes. So okay, if my boyfriend somehow ended up contacting a scam-service and thankfully did not pay them by raging down the phone at them, what is the REAL Yahoo care number to go straight to them direct on how to reset a password?

If anyone knows better than me that is so I don't get sidetracked by false info or unrelated poo poo cuz sometimes these security centre sites are kind of dumb to navigate.

You have to sign in to view contact methods. There almost certainly won't be an easy way. It will likely be email support.

http://help.yahoo.com and click through.

Just keep in mind, if you don't remember the password, dont remember security questions, dont remember or cant access alternate emails, and never paid them or gave them any real information (cross checking credit cards) you won't get your password. You can't, because then anybody could. I have lost accounts from years ago like this, they are just gone.

If you have an important email address - I'm sure you or he is aware now- real security answers, real phone number authentication, real alternate email, and dont use Yahoo.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

1gnoirents posted:

Just keep in mind, if you don't remember the password, dont remember security questions, dont remember or cant access alternate emails, and never paid them or gave them any real information (cross checking credit cards) you won't get your password. You can't, because then anybody could. I have lost accounts from years ago like this, they are just gone.
Yup. Try putting yourself in their shoes and ask what they're supposed to do to make sure they're resetting the password for the true owner not some liar.

For the OP, I know it's kind of telling you to lock the barn after the horse is gone but hopefully your boyfriend understands now that he should not have important information saved solely in his account at a free service that never made him any guarantees. Important information should always always always be stored two places, and if it's that important the primary location shouldn't be a free service like yahoo mail. I'm assuming there are important messages in there or something. If it's just that he doesn't like the idea of changing his email address, welp sorry pal.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also, he should get a password manager for the future. Like LastPass, which has browser integration and will autofill usernames and passwords.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's a Yahoo account, walk away and join us in the 21st century.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

What alternate email did he give them, it might be easier to get that back then use that to reset the Yahoo, hell even if that site is gone you could spend like 10 bucks just buying it and setting up that email account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

No idea but I'll ask him if he still wants to pursue this and give him your advices, thanks for the help either way guys. :)

• Locked thread