Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

How could I miss this :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Some photos from my BIG AMERICAN VACATION OF 2011 :911:, a once in a lifetime chance to see such cultural and historical landmarks as:

The Mr D'z Route 66 Diner of Kingman, AZ:

Chloride, AZ's famous rusting roadside garbage:

... quaint little post office:

... quaint little (closed down) bank:

... art:

... and whatever this thing is:

Alamo, NV's luxury western-themed bed and breakfast hotel, A Cowboy's Dream:

Nevada's Extraterrestrial Highway:

... home to the Black Mailbox:

... and Rachel, NV's Little A'Le'Inn:

As a European living in a 2400 year old city, this sign from Virginia, NV never fails to make me smile:

Wendover Will:

Obligatory Four Corners shot:

(note the Las Vegas slot-machine socks)

Route 66 signage in Albuquerque, NM:

Steve Irwin shrine in The Rattlesnake Museum, Albuquerque, NM:

Amarillo, TX's world famous Big Legs:

... and Cadillac Ranch:

Liberal, KS's International Pancake Day Hall Of Fame:

... and Wizard of Oz stuff:

Finally, Flagler, CO's I-70 Diner:

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Mar 4, 2015

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Holy smokes! You have not merely experienced America, you have experienced true Americana. :911:

I took a long detour on the way to the Burning Man festival, and an even longer detour on the way out (of course for the purposes of this thread I omitted Las Vegas, the Hoover Dam, Arches National Park, Monument Valley...). Two weeks aren't a lot for Burning Man plus 3500 mile (:eyepop:) road trip, so I was pretty much limited to trashy roadside attractions/food/accommodation and the odd natural park

King Vidiot posted:

Wait, why is a random girl dressed as Dorothy running backwards into traffic?

She's going to lower the flag from the pole, of course :patriot:

Liberal, KS is an entirely unremarkable town, smack in the middle of the panhandle area and devoid of anything of interest to tourists. So they bootstrapped themselves into a tourist trap with the Pancake Day and by claiming to be Dorothy's hometown (a claim nobody cared to contest). They have a Wizard of Oz museum, complete with live Dorothy. I came too late to visit the museum (wtf americans, do you call 4 PM a closing time. and why are tourist offices closed on sundays ffs), but I got to witness Dorothy bringing down and folding the flag. I then went to grab something to eat, the punchline being that there is not a single pancake house in the American Capital of the Pancake

(she isn't moonwalking, it's the wind)

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Mar 4, 2015

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Peanut President posted:

A reference to Ozymandias or was there a statue once?

There's a lot of kitschy non-art around Amarillo, it's their "thing". But yes, it's a reference to Ozymandias:

The fake history at the bottom also says that there was a statue once before students broke it

(I don't know about the books, some sort of symbolic offering?)

• Locked thread