Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Considering the content, that could've been put together a lot better. It had no bite.

The torture designers have done annoying things too? OK. Also, pretty much an entire political party thinks torture is acceptable. If the writers can't figure out how to extract humor out of that absurdity, they're even worse than I thought. I hope they had something that S&P rejected, because that was weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Iowa Snow King posted:

Pretty much sums up recent SNL, frankly
As much as I want to, I don't think I can put this on Jost. WU has actually had some teeth lately. The rest of the show, though? Weak.

Last week's cut Ferguson sketch was one of the few times this season they've done something great, and it was cut.

Maybe I'm just getting too old.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Kammat posted:

Good gravy he's short.
Jones is also like six feet and probably wearing heels, which makes it better.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
That sketch was decent.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
This is genuinely exciting and creative.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Moynihan in dual roles he fits in perfectly.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
That Office sketch working so well really shows the timelessness of that series. Jeez, it premiered thirteen years ago now.

I don't think it's just me who feels like that, either.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Echoing the other posters about how accurate that was. Again, really creative and fun.

Cold open and monologue were really bad, but the episode has been solid otherwise.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Marvin Freeman posted:

Counterpoint, they were both decent.
Again, considering the absurdity of attitudes toward torture in America, the cold open might as well have been someone waterboarding a bunch of NFL mascots. Would've been actually funny that way, and I came up with that five seconds ago.

And, knowing how talented Freeman is, the monologue could've been much better.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Mooseontheloose posted:

Oh so an Aaron Sorkin character.
Not quite, because she wasn't cut off and contradicted by Jost with a long, self-serving, probably racist monologue.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
What...

What was that

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think she is lip synching.
There's a backing track too, but she is singing.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Freeman flexing his Minnesotan accent from Fargo.

Also, oh my this sketch is off to a great start.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Pharaoh's only appearance of the night, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
1. Freeman
2. Rock
3. Pratt
4. Harrelson
5. Hader
6. Franco
7. Diaz
8. Carrey
9. Silverman

The early sketch let-downs were more than made up for by most of the rest of the episode, aside from the conveyor belt sketch. Everyone let loose a little bit, finally, and that's almost always a good thing. Even Jost has improved.

The Office Middle Earth is going to be one of those bits that pops up in Best Of episodes from here on out. All of the pre-tapes this week were some of the best they've done in the past couple of seasons.

I still think they could've done some real biting satire with the cold open, though. Big waste there.

• Locked thread