Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Astro Nut posted:

...You know considering it all, that is a curious question. I mean, yes, its 'easier' to write in female nudity around the courtesans and such of the time period, but even then, most of the men still have their clothes on whilst they're going at it, and it couldn't be that difficult to throw in say, a bathhouse scene featuring just dudes. Or maybe Marco getting a fresh set of clothes after a hard day's training. Sure, they'd be a bit contrived, but that didn't stop the show on the other end of things now did it?

On another note...

Do you really wanna see a bunch of dicks on tv other than on Cspan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dalael posted:

On another note...

Spartacus' writers ensured there was a pretty high dicks/hour ratio throughout that series

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Astro Nut posted:

...You know considering it all, that is a curious question. I mean, yes, its 'easier' to write in female nudity around the courtesans and such of the time period, but even then, most of the men still have their clothes on whilst they're going at it, and it couldn't be that difficult to throw in say, a bathhouse scene featuring just dudes. Or maybe Marco getting a fresh set of clothes after a hard day's training. Sure, they'd be a bit contrived, but that didn't stop the show on the other end of things now did it?

It's harder to argue for nudity if it is clearly only one gender having to do it, yup.

We saw Kublai being ridden and a few shirtless guys but nothing to the level the women had to portray.

I can only assume Netflix figured it was only going to attract largely male audiences.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Josh Lyman posted:

Dildos have been around for a long, LONG time.

If QI have their facts right (and they probably do, but they are at least occasionally wrong) then the ancient Greeks used to shove bread up there, male and females. And they were probably not the first to do so.

Also, my read on Khutulun banging Marco was that she hosed him simply because no-one else in the village/trible would do so, out of fear of reprisal from her father given that he had decreed no-one could gently caress her unless they beat her and he was fairly highly placed on the totem pole. In walks Marco with no idea who she is, so once she finds out that he's at least half way intelligent, capable and attractive, she fucks him - because she's horny and wants to know what sex is, since what teenager, male or female doesn't? She did it right then and there because she didn't want to wait any longer for fear he too would learn who her father was and refuse to lay with her once he did. She couldn't be seen walking around with him, couldn't tell him her name for fear he'd know it, couldn't arrange to meet later for fear he'd learn her identity in the meantime and so on.

So yea, horny teenager - just not a stupid horny teenager I guess, at least to me. She just wanted to gently caress, because what person doesn't? And literally no-one else would because of her father.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

tsob posted:

If QI have their facts right (and they probably do, but they are at least occasionally wrong) then the ancient Greeks used to shove bread up there, male and females. And they were probably not the first to do so.

Also, my read on Khutulun banging Marco was that she hosed him simply because no-one else in the village/trible would do so, out of fear of reprisal from her father given that he had decreed no-one could gently caress her unless they beat her and he was fairly highly placed on the totem pole. In walks Marco with no idea who she is, so once she finds out that he's at least half way intelligent, capable and attractive, she fucks him - because she's horny and wants to know what sex is, since what teenager, male or female doesn't? She did it right then and there because she didn't want to wait any longer for fear he too would learn who her father was and refuse to lay with her once he did. She couldn't be seen walking around with him, couldn't tell him her name for fear he'd know it, couldn't arrange to meet later for fear he'd learn her identity in the meantime and so on.

So yea, horny teenager - just not a stupid horny teenager I guess, at least to me. She just wanted to gently caress, because what person doesn't? And literally no-one else would because of her father.

Yeah, that scene actually didn't bother me that much for those reasons. Her just wanting to gently caress a stranger because it wasn't allowed within her tribe didn't make me take her any less seriously, as some mentioned. She was still pretty badass.

Also, I was just happy to see a wide variety of body types in that one harem nude scene instead of a bunch of perfect Hollywood extras. Is it totally sad that I call that a win for feminism?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dalael posted:

Naked Kublai Khan for the win!

I got your stately pleasure dome right here :wink:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

tsob posted:

Which would be weird, because IIRC that particular challenge is supposed to be imposed by her (that she would only marry someone if they defeated her in wrestling), not her father. Her father was actually begging her to marry someone, anyone, especially later on. Plus, I thought it was pretty clear in that scene that she wasn't a virgin.

I'm leaning more toward that she heard there was a cultured, well traveled foreigner around and figured she'd have herself a piece of that action. She's sexually aggressive because it fits in with the rest of her (aggressive, independent) personality. It is out of nowhere, but not exactly unheard of. (What is unrealistic is that after Khutulun, Marco Polo would fall in love with that boring drip of a Blue Princess. God that subplot was awful.)

As for nudity, I think a bit more balance (again, Spartacus had a pretty high incidence of dicks on screen) would be nice. Also, that the naked people actually get a chance to have a personality and agency of their own, instead of being surprisingly realistic sex dolls to look pretty on screen (and also die). That's the difference between, say, Mei Lin stripping before she takes out those three horny guards (as gratuitous as it was) and any number of harem scenes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are we convinced Khutulun has sex with Marco or just dry humped the gently caress out of him because she is a horny bitch.?
I've watched it a couple of times and they are both wearing pants. she just gets up and walks off.

I'm putting it out there that she was teasing him for a good old laugh.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rocksicles posted:

Are we convinced Khutulun has sex with Marco or just dry humped the gently caress out of him because she is a horny bitch.?
I've watched it a couple of times and they are both wearing pants. she just gets up and walks off.

I'm putting it out there that she was teasing him for a good old laugh.
Not when Kaidu was talking about how his daughter has promised his virginity to the man who could best her in wrestling, and then Marco just makes that "whoops, shitfuckshit" face.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not buying that shitfuckshit theory gaffa, what else you got?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know I was OK with this show (not terrible, not great) up until the last episode when Marco invents the counter-weight trebuchet and becomes the white savior of the mongol horde. What a loving travesty.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

That's what he claims in his actual book. Then again he wasn't actually with the Mongols at the time of the siege.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Persians were using trebuchets already, the Chinese invented the idea.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Rocksicles posted:

The Persians were using trebuchets already, the Chinese invented the idea.

Are you sure they didn't reverse engineer the idea then sell it at a much lower price?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ugh it's got MADE IN CATHAY stamped all over it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

WastedJoker posted:

Are you sure they didn't reverse engineer the idea then sell it at a much lower price?

:rimshot:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I enjoyed the show.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

This thread once again reminds me that a whole lotta people put a whole lotta work into not enjoying television.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What is the generally accepted opinion about the accuracy of Macro Polo's story? I remember watching a documentary on Netflix that basically said it was probably all a bunch of crap, and the dude made it up based on stories her heard in Persia, if he ever actually existed at all. I've since learned that this theory is mostly considered bullshit, but at the same time, it's hard to take any 700 year old account without a huge grain of salt.

Some more equality in nudity would be nice, but to be fair to the producers, first, the women are (mostly) treated as sexual objects and expected to be naked more often to entertain the men, based on my limited understanding of history that sounds pretty accurate. And second, it's easier to have naked ladies without explicitly showing genitalia, which is still only done sparingly, for the most part.

Vorgen posted:

This thread once again reminds me that a whole lotta people put a whole lotta work into not enjoying television.

This should be the summary of TV IV.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You know I was OK with this show (not terrible, not great) up until the last episode when Marco invents the counter-weight trebuchet and becomes the white savior of the mongol horde. What a loving travesty.

What's wrong with this? I mean, it's a well known fact white people made every good invention in history.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

That was a fun season and I'm looking forward to new seasons.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I'm also really upset that this TV show about another time and another place doesn't support my particular brand of sociopolitical dogma. Because as we all know, Genghis Khan was a huge supporter of my particular brand of sociopolitical dogma. Furthermore, not using a historical drama about him as a mouthpiece to further my sociopolitical agenda is a travesty, I tell you, a TRAVESTY! And I will not stand for it. Instead I will let this minor quibble get in the way of liking Asian boobies and kung fu.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

I think you mean socio-political catma.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Dalael posted:

On another note...

Yeah sure, why not? Dicks are pretty neat.

ded posted:

I enjoyed the show.

Vorgen posted:

I enjoyed the show, and now I'm enjoying picking it apart. :)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vorgen posted:

I wanted to enjoy it, and there were parts I did enjoy (any scene with Kublai), but the ending was hot garbage.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

counterfeitsaint posted:

What is the generally accepted opinion about the accuracy of Macro Polo's story? I remember watching a documentary on Netflix that basically said it was probably all a bunch of crap, and the dude made it up based on stories her heard in Persia, if he ever actually existed at all. I've since learned that this theory is mostly considered bullshit, but at the same time, it's hard to take any 700 year old account without a huge grain of salt.

If I recall correctly, I think the general stance is that Polo's book is accurate generally, but there's likely some mix of embellishment, convenient omission, and/or simple lack of information, whether due to Polo's ignorance or not properly relaying what he'd seen to the fellow he shared a cell with. Good enough for broad details and names of people, perhaps, but one should apply at least some scrutiny to how he described specific events playing out. People weigh up his potential biases - or lack of 'em - in a number of ways. On one level, he was a European telling his story for people who would never go anywhere near the Yuan dynasty, which left him plenty of security against contemporary scrutiny. On the other hand, Venice was already seeking active trade with the various Mongol khanates, and Marco himself having travelled there whilst relatively young wouldn't have given him, say, the same level of distaste for them that a former Crusader might have. Part of the issue is that little is known of Polo himself, in either personality or what others thought of him, so it makes judging him beyond social assumptions rather difficult.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Vorgen posted:

I'm also really upset that this TV show about another time and another place doesn't support my particular brand of sociopolitical dogma. Because as we all know, Genghis Khan was a huge supporter of my particular brand of sociopolitical dogma. Furthermore, not using a historical drama about him as a mouthpiece to further my sociopolitical agenda is a travesty, I tell you, a TRAVESTY! And I will not stand for it. Instead I will let this minor quibble get in the way of liking Asian boobies and kung fu.
You'll need to elaborate specifically on what you mean here.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

The book on which the show is based was actually written by a guy named Rustichello da Pisa.

At the time Polo returned from his travels, Venice was at war with Genoa. Polo decided to fight in this war and was captured by the Genovans in a skirmish. He spent several months in a prison where he gave Pisa (a fellow inmate) a detailed account of all his travels. When Pisa was released, he incorporated his own tales and anecdotes he had collected about the then-current affairs in China. While he never got a chance to publish it (this was before the printing press), the manuscript started floating around in Europe and was copied and translated over a hundred times. Eventually it became known as the Travels of Marco Polo.

So the stories are thought to be generally accurate at a high level. For example, the battle in the show did actually take place -- it was the first battle in China where counter-weight trebuchets were used. But the details of the stories in general differ, sometimes significantly, between the multitudes of copies and translations. Did Polo get laid like a fish in China? Yep. Did he get to gently caress Khutulun? Probably not. (Interestingly enough, neither the scribes of Kublia's court nor Mongol historians who came later bothered to record Khutulun's prowess and exploits in writing, since she was a woman. The only written account of her exists in Pisa's book, and that is thanks to Polo's stories.)

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 23, 2014

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fister Roboto posted:

He didn't invent it, he just reminded the Khan of the weapons Alexander used to get around the "Catapults don't have enough range" issue.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
I really enjoyed this show, focus on mongolia / china is welcome in my books, yes sure the show is cheesy as gently caress but it was very fun to watch and that's all that matters. The kung fu and ninjas were cheesy but sooo good. Any scene with Kubilay and Hundred Eyes was pretty bad rear end.

I liked the ending too, I felt that the show doesn't take itself too seriously as an accurate historical drama, and a super cheesy bad guy reveal scene like that is the perfect catalyst for even more over the top craziness.

Now all we need is a show about Byzantine palace intrigue and the Ottoman invasion.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azmodaii posted:

Now all we need is a show about Byzantine palace intrigue and the Ottoman invasion.

Endorsed!

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

enraged_camel posted:

Did Polo get laid like a fish in China? Yep.

Because the part someone would most likely lie about is most likely true.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Azmodaii posted:

I really enjoyed this show, focus on mongolia / china is welcome in my books, yes sure the show is cheesy as gently caress but it was very fun to watch and that's all that matters. The kung fu and ninjas were cheesy but sooo good. Any scene with Kubilay and Hundred Eyes was pretty bad rear end.

I liked the ending too, I felt that the show doesn't take itself too seriously as an accurate historical drama, and a super cheesy bad guy reveal scene like that is the perfect catalyst for even more over the top craziness.

Just note: This time frame is perfect for the mongol invasion of Japan. Imagine Hundred Eyes vs a samurai.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Astro Nut posted:

Just note: This time frame is perfect for the mongol invasion of Japan. Imagine Hundred Eyes vs a ninja.

I realize their role and skills in the popular perception doesn't nearly line up with reality, but this show doesn't seem like the kind to care.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
We've had Hundred Eyes fighting fantasy-hashshashins. I'm sure he'll fight fantasty-ninjas too eventually.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
He should fight a dragon.

And by that I mean Bruce Lee.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cry Havoc posted:

Because the part someone would most likely lie about is most likely true.

asian girl tits, they feel like a bag of rice

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

etalian posted:

asian girl tits, they feel like a bag of rice
Firm?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

I always found rice to be cheap, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Great with raw fish on top.

• Locked thread