Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I've realized I treat this show the same way I imagine most (non-book readers) treat Game of Thrones. That is I know maybe two character names and the rest are just descriptions. Creepy Mantis Guy, Blind Monk, Blue Princess, Sexy Wrestler Chick, etc..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Paperhouse posted:

He's really good, and one of the reasons I'm considering watching this show. However, the reviews are really terrible and it sounds kind of lovely, is that pretty much the consensus in here?

I don't know the consensus but having gone in completely blind I will say that the show is mostly forgettable. It has some cool ideas that if utilized better could make a stronger second season, but mostly everything is kinda flat and bland. I "enjoyed" it for what it was, but mostly because I'm out of school right now rather than genuine interest and appeal. The costumes are nice, and the setting is neat, but the story is meh, the characters with a few exceptions are meh, and the set piece scenes with a few exceptions are meh.

AngryBooch posted:

So the last scene of this show was absolutely terrible. Does Ahmad actually have any claim on the throne of the Mongolian Empire? I thought he was "adopted" and not even a bastard like Byamba, does that count? Is he just planning on killing every Mongolian in the Khanate to take the throne? Or is he hoping that he will be the Jia Sidao to Jingim's young emperor because he's been ingratiating himself to Jingim the whole series?

I was kind of willing to accept movie kung-fu as the setting's "magic" like in Game of Thrones and just take the series as fantasy. But the super-manipulator villain now having a painting of himself holding the decapitated head of the emperor on his wall is ridiculous. I hope the first scene of season two (if it ever exists) is his new friend Jingim showing up at his house, seeing the picture, and stuffing Ahmad into a rug.

Speaking of magic, did they ever explain those horse guys in (I believe) the first episode who can surround themselves in sand? That was cool, but then they never show up again unless those were the hashashin, and even then it's not like they did anything noteworthy or mystical.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 30, 2014

• Locked thread