Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just saw the pilot and really enjoyed it. I can definitely understand this being a much more niche show than House of Cards or Game of Thrones, but that's unfortunate. I just don't think American audiences have a palate or tolerance for Asian-centric material.

I don't really understand the Game of Thrones comparison, and the fact that people keep repeating that stinks of ethnocentrism.

The strongest part of the show is cinematography. It's as if Hannibal had five times the palette and ten times the budget.

The weakest part of the show is definitely dialogue, but it's not cringeworthy by any stretch.

It doesn't have the driving plot of House of Cards and I didn't feel compelled to watch episode 2 immediately, but that's not necessarily a problem. The show is certainly not perfect, but it's not bad, and it's a little upsetting that people are trashing it.

I think it's incredible this show even exists. $90 million on an "Asian TV show" is pretty amazing.

edit: It has an 8.5 on IMDB but 47 on Metacritic. I think that says everything.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

I watched the first episode and a half. The writing is just so bad and the characters are so boring that no amount of cinematography is gonna make up for it. I kept making excuses for it and wanting to like it, but the hackneyed dialogue, the forbidden princess who the main character falls in love with at first sight and she obviously loves him too even though she's mean to him at first and aaauuuggggh are you kidding me with this, Netflix? Basically, all the bad poo poo added up real quick.
You're projecting years of Hollywood tripe onto the relationship between Marco and the princess. I don't think he's in love with her - he just has the hots for her. And she certainly doesn't reciprocate his crush, at least not as of halfway through episode 5.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 14, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

On Rotten Tomatoes, critics ate 27% positive while users are 92%.

For comparison, Transformers 4 is 18% critics and 53% users.

I have to say, I think the reviewer community got it wrong here. They were so eager to trash Netflix's expensive gambit, comparing it to GoT even though they're nothing alike, overblowing the nudity because something something exploitation of women, and somehow claim the show is racist even though their comparison to GoT is blatantly lazy and racist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hot take: people are just upset that the male protagonist is essentially a manic pixie dream girl.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Stuporstar posted:

Also, I'm up to episode 7, and yet again, their failure to explain some poo poo before it happens has made me go WTF again. This time it's Hundred Eyes just walking away from a fight with Sidao after being ordered to assassinate him. I'm guessing the next episode will fill me in, but this show has a real loving problem with setting up the plot dominos in an order that doesn't make the characters look like loving morons who do things that seem, at the time, inexplicably stupid.

Edit: and I suppose I should explain what I found so utterly stupid before someone chimes in with, "But you just don't get it! The assassination was just a ruse to make a map of the wall!"

First off, that is what is so loving stupid: using a stealth mission to cover a stealth mission. Second, they send the white guy to stand around drawing the loving wall, and no one ever notices because plot reasons. Oh, was Hundred Eyes supposed to provide a distraction, while in a completely different part of town? These people don't seem to understand the concept of patrols, and how a the guards coming to Sidao's aid would not be the same guards who might catch Marco standing on a loving bell tower.
I'm pretty sure you didn't get it because it seemed to me that Hundred Eyes really did intend to assassinate the Chancellor but withdrew when it was clear to him he couldn't win. Polo's wall survey was a backup.

Mars4523 posted:

Why the gently caress was the white guy sent to spy on a Song Chinese city, anyways?

As for Marco's relative importance to the show and centrality in the plot, it skyrockets in the last few episodes, much to the show's detriment (and my annoyance). Like him suddenly becoming a siege engineer who personally oversees the efforts to destroy the wall. In reality, it was a bunch of Iraqi experts from the IlKhanate.

Criticisms of the female nudity are not overblown. It really is all over the place and it is also nigh-uniformly done poorly.
You must not have finished the episode if you characterize Polo as a siege engineer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

That temptation scene was educational.

One of the girls was holding a hand-crafted sex toy and I did not know they had those back in the day.
Dildos have been around for a long, LONG time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

etalian posted:

asian girl tits, they feel like a bag of rice
Firm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Kublai looks like a pimp in virtually everything.
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round;
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
And here were forests ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.

• Locked thread