Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Too much discussion against nudity on tv.

Someone gives the pro side so we have more... Hell, why are any of these characters wearing clothes? Naked Kublai Khan for the win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Astro Nut posted:

...You know considering it all, that is a curious question. I mean, yes, its 'easier' to write in female nudity around the courtesans and such of the time period, but even then, most of the men still have their clothes on whilst they're going at it, and it couldn't be that difficult to throw in say, a bathhouse scene featuring just dudes. Or maybe Marco getting a fresh set of clothes after a hard day's training. Sure, they'd be a bit contrived, but that didn't stop the show on the other end of things now did it?

On another note...

Do you really wanna see a bunch of dicks on tv other than on Cspan?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

I always found rice to be cheap, personally.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

nutranurse posted:

I think the reviews are way off mark and I find Marco Polo to be a great replacement for Rome (but that's mostly because we're never getting another Rome). Check out the user reviews compared to the critic reviews, there's a huge gulf. While that normally might mean the show's schlocky poop like Big Bang Theory or something, it's really just a case of critics hopping on the bashing bandwagon with Marco Polo.

If you want to watch a period piece about Marco Polo finding his way around the cosmopolitan mongol court, along the way getting up to some Wuxia antics, then this show is definitely for you.

Its unfair to compare anything to Rome. Rome was something else entirely. The story/script, actors and visuals were amazing. Plus. those comparaisons are what leads to movies like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvpzS8LD78

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I don,t think Marco Polo is as bad as people say, in all seriousness. People say it has bad writing, and it kinda does.. But I have seen so many shows that were worst and received good reviews.
Case and point, Spartacus. The show's script was terrible in all seasons except for some moments. But it still ended up being entertaining which in the end, is why we watch shows isn't it?

As for budget, I hear Marco Polo isn't lacking. Something along the tune of 80 to 90 million I think? Isn't that close to GoT and Rome?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

qbert posted:

It's way more than any season of GoT has cost.

Although google states this: ¨Netflix Series 'Marco Polo' Is Not Too Big To Fail. It's Just Too Big. With a budget of $90 million, the newest Netflix NFLX -0.61% original series Marco Polo is its priciest production to date, and reportedly the second most expensive television series in existence, after HBO's Game of Thrones.¨

According to wikipedia, you would be right. Apparently GoT's budget was between 5 and 10 million for the first episode and about a total of 50 to 60 million for the first season. One thing is for sure, Marco Polo could have afforded better writers.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

etalian posted:

It's the Springtime for Hitler concept

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with this concept. Would you enlighten me?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

yeah i forgot about that one tree.... Challenge stand for finding two trees in the same area.

Fun little bit of trivia.

The Tree of Ténéré in Niger, was a solitary acacia, that was once considered the most isolated tree on Earth—the only one for over 400 kilometres (250 mi). It was a landmark on caravan routes through the Ténéré region of the Sahara Desert in northeast Niger, so well known that it and the Arbre Perdu or 'Lost Tree' to the north are the only trees to be shown on a map at a scale of 1:4,000,000. The Tree of Ténéré was located near a 40-metre (131 feet)-deep well. It was knocked down by a drunk truck driver in 1973.

You got to be loving bad at driving, even drunk, to hit the only tree around for 250 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

The imperial siege engineer, who I'd assume is the best siege engineer around, just not getting it was the most annoying part. Oh sure, you're the best guy the Mongols have, but I'm a traveling merchant, so let me tell you a thing or two about building siege engines. It's too big? More counterweight will break the arm? Whatever, dude, I've got drawings and a vague idea of what Alexander did.

At this point, I think you're just looking for reasons to hate this show. Technologies have been lost and rediscovered times and times again, and back in the days, it was often trial and error. In the show, it all makes sense. The guy's life is ridding on the fact that those Trebuchet will reach the walls. When it doesn't, who cares what the engineer says.. More loving counterweight. What was he supposed to do, admit defeat kneel on a log and wait for his head to be taken off?

• Locked thread