Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Marco Polo 2 just got added to Boardgamearena and I'm just checking it out. It's... just different enough from MP1 that I'm not sure what to think about it. Perhaps too loosened up at first glance? I do agree that travel felt tight in the first game, possibly too tight, but it made getting to the other side feel a bit more eventful.

What're other folks' thoughts on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm just surprised a game from only a year ago in on there.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

For a 2 player engine builder I really liked my plays of Res Arcana with expansion.

Played with the "Draft your first deck, then afterwards put all the cards in the middle, draft again and play until someone won 2 times" variant and it was a lot of fun and three really close games.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Magnetic North posted:

It's not that crazy. They just did the same thing with the new edition of 7 Wonders. When a game changes only facially but the game engine is still pretty much the same, it's not that hard, I imagine, to get the old code and formatting adpated and running for a new implementation.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

The Crew is on there now with a small handful of 2020 games. I think publishers are seeing it as another marketing opportunity.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Aramoro posted:

The Crew is on there now with a small handful of 2020 games. I think publishers are seeing it as another marketing opportunity.

And I’m guessing sales are way down cause so few people are meeting in person

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

And I’m guessing sales are way down cause so few people are meeting in person

Maybe in general but not the crew. It sold out and then won the SDJ, that game will sell like hot cakes.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Wait what? Where are people seeing The Crew?

edit:NVM it's it alpha. Explains why it didn't show up in the search.

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 16, 2020

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Aramoro posted:

This would be a very positive development. I think that especially for low-priced games, there is a better shot at someone buying it on impulse due to trying it online. I am probably going to grab Air, Land and Sea when it comes back in print, and that was solidified by trying it online. (though on TTS, not anything official).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

El Fideo posted:

Wait what? Where are people seeing The Crew?

edit:NVM it's it alpha. Explains why it didn't show up in the search.

Yeah sorry its in Alpha so you need 500 games across 30 different games to review it. It's pretty tight already so I'd expect it into Beta soon. We played first 10 missions of it and straight on our buy list.

I actually think it works well for selling heavier games as well. I've played 25+ games of City of the Big Shoulders now and it's probably going on one of our buy lists purely because of BGA.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Aramoro posted:

Yeah sorry its in Alpha so you need 500 games across 30 different games to review it. It's pretty tight already so I'd expect it into Beta soon. We played first 10 missions of it and straight on our buy list.

I actually think it works well for selling heavier games as well. I've played 25+ games of City of the Big Shoulders now and it's probably going on one of our buy lists purely because of BGA.

If you’re in the US I have KS version I’d sell you

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Riot Games just announced/released their second game: Tellstones

https://tellstones.com/

It's basically a memory game. Simple, abstract. Very different than MvM which isn't a bad thing, but I'm not sure how much "game" there is to it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I like the "you declare an action, your opponent performs it" bit in the rules to enforce the otherwise unwritten rule of "don't do anything while your opponent isn't studying the board." The nerd in me also appreciates the theming, and I am sort of interested to see what they do when they release Tellstone sets from regions other than Demacia, the most boring region (which, it feels like they will if this is even reasonably successful; the rulebook call out of "these are just the symbols used on Demacian sets" feels like a tease).

That being said, I will lose this literally 100% of the time I play it so will defer to my wife if she wants to own a game she can effortlessly stomp me in.

EDIT: Oh, we just had our first play of First Contact. We played 1v1 and had a fair bit of fun. Thanks for the recommendation, I never would have picked it up otherwise.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Frozen Peach posted:

It's basically a memory game. Simple, abstract. Very different than MvM which isn't a bad thing, but I'm not sure how much "game" there is to it.

I adore memory games so I'll be keeping my eye on this

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Countblanc posted:

I adore memory games so I'll be keeping my eye on this

I ordered it because I'm a sucker and have more money than sense. Will report back!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I finally received my Jagged Earth shipment and man, this is a lot to take in. This expansion is massive in a way I knew was coming, but didn't really hit me until I had it in my hands.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anyone played the expansion Fiends and Familiars for Roll Player yet?

Should be out soon in Germany and I'm thinking about getting that one...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Frozen Peach posted:

Another for the Tak category of "games that feel like they could have been designed hundreds of years ago". I probably will never try it because my memory is traaaaaaaaaash, despite all the adventure video games training me to follow the treasure chest as it spins around with several other duds.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Frozen Peach posted:

This feels weird to me, because in the hypothetical situation where both players have perfect memory, the game basically never ends. There isn't an end-game trigger outside of winning the game, so if both players have perfect recollection, there is no incentive to challenge or boast, because initating either action gives your opponent a chance to win.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Tekopo posted:

This feels weird to me, because in the hypothetical situation where both players have perfect memory, the game basically never ends. There isn't an end-game trigger outside of winning the game, so if both players have perfect recollection, there is no incentive to challenge or boast, because initating either action gives your opponent a chance to win.

I was thinking that too. I know a guy with an eidetic memory, and first off let me tell you it's SO annoying to play Hanabi with him. As far as this game goes, my guess is that those players would simply find no reason to play. It would be like beating a child at tic tac toe. Does that mean it's a flaw in the game? That's an interesting question. I guess two smartypantses could distract each other with long winded personal stories or by maintaining a elaborate fiction of the pieces to try and muddy the waters. I imagine scenes where they're testing the blackjack team card counters with loud noises and poo poo to try and mess up their count.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Finally, something to lock up those awful people w/ photographic memories.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

I was thinking that too. I know a guy with an eidetic memory, and first off let me tell you it's SO annoying to play Hanabi with him. As far as this game goes, my guess is that those players would simply find no reason to play. It would be like beating a child at tic tac toe. Does that mean it's a flaw in the game? That's an interesting question. I guess two smartypantses could distract each other with long winded personal stories or by maintaining a elaborate fiction of the pieces to try and muddy the waters. I imagine scenes where they're testing the blackjack team card counters with loud noises and poo poo to try and mess up their count.
I think it is kind of a flaw in the game, and limits its potential, since high-level gameplay seems to be degenerate. I just don't thinkthere's enough scope to actually muddy up the waters in the game, even though the game encourages outside distractions.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I just got into A Feast for Odin, and we liked it so much that I tried to snap up all the expansions immediately, but the mini expansion #2 is impossible to find. Anyone know where it might be in stock? I see it on eBay for like $50, but it's MSRP was like $7...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I think it is kind of a flaw in the game, and limits its potential, since high-level gameplay seems to be degenerate. I just don't thinkthere's enough scope to actually muddy up the waters in the game, even though the game encourages outside distractions.

Quick, call Quins in!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cancelled my Wyrmwood KS pledge, Jan 2022 is just legit too far away for international backers for a $400 dollarydoos 'reservation'
Thankfully PS5 is now preordered in its stead :slick:

Reynold posted:

I just got into A Feast for Odin, and we liked it so much that I tried to snap up all the expansions immediately, but the mini expansion #2 is impossible to find. Anyone know where it might be in stock? I see it on eBay for like $50, but it's MSRP was like $7...

Believe me I've been trying to find it as well. It's very difficult to find.

Also hype for more people getting Odin, and already attempting to plan my next session for it :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reynold posted:

There's a couple of copies on the BGG market for €7.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Memnaelar posted:

Marco Polo 2 just got added to Boardgamearena and I'm just checking it out. It's... just different enough from MP1 that I'm not sure what to think about it. Perhaps too loosened up at first glance? I do agree that travel felt tight in the first game, possibly too tight, but it made getting to the other side feel a bit more eventful.

Marco Polo 2 is a response to people saying they could win without traveling at all in Marco Polo. Thus, the first few trips are much cheaper and much more important. But the later legs in Marco Polo 2 are much more expensive than their counterparts in Marco Polo to compensate. To the point where I think turn 3 Beijing in Marco Polo is slightly easier to pull off than turn 3 Baghdad in Marco Polo 2.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 17, 2020

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

Our group found the guild cities a bit strong and led to samey games (also has impacts on goals chosen, etc).

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Any takes on Hyperborea? There is a copy going for cheap locally

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hypersnorea. I've not played it.
e: Hyperboringa

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Street Horrrsing posted:

It's a bag building game with some interesting options in terms of how you build up your board/bag. It kind of looks like a DOAM, but it really doesn't play like one, the two core mechanisms are area control and bag building. I kind of like it even though bag builders aren't really my thing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Street Horrrsing posted:

Jump on that. It's a very good bag builder that had the misfortune to come out at the same time as Orleans. Orleans is the better game overall, but Hyperborea uses the bag building mechanic better. The limited re-release of the expansion is on the boat as of last week and there are still a few copies left - it'll probably never see print again, so it's worth the investment even if you only end up flipping it.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

ketchup vs catsup posted:

it's a well traveled road for this thread - the first couple plays of TFM everyone goes nuts building massive engines and running them very very slowly, ignoring the board and the game takes forever. that engines in this game run extremely slowly is a good indicator that this is not an engine building game.

then someone realizes the game won't end until the indicators hit the end of their tracks, and if you keep playing, you mostly stop using the cards that don't help you do that. playtime goes way down, player interaction and timing goes way up.

the problem with TfM is that if you mention this to people, 80% of them will go all bug-eyed and start while stomping around like a toddler screaming "WE'RE loving HERE TO BUILD loving ENGINES IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOU'RE WRONG"

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PlaneGuy posted:

the problem with TfM is that if you mention this to people, 80% of them will go all bug-eyed and start while stomping around like a toddler screaming "WE'RE loving HERE TO BUILD loving ENGINES IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOU'RE WRONG"

Let them. You go ahead and win the game while they do. If they get mad about it find better people or play different games.

Some games aren’t good for some groups. I definitely have a mental list of people and games/game types that I know do not mix well.

The first few plays of a game are just as much an exploration of that game’s effect on your group as it is the game’s mechanics.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 17, 2020

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

PlaneGuy posted:

I may be wrong but Im also winning :coal:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Reynold posted:

Are you in the US? I have an extra from when Asmodee briefly had it up on the webstore - it's slightly warped because it's a single 10"x6" sheet of cardboard and they sent it in a bare envelope with zero support. Support sent me a replacement that miraculously arrived unbent.

The tiles are fine. I put the map under a stack of books for a week and it's significantly better (and playable), but it could probably use another week. If you'd like it PM me and I can send it to you for the cost of shipping!

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Stickman posted:

Are you in the US? I have an extra from when Asmodee briefly had it up on the webstore - it's slightly warped because it's a single 10"x6" sheet of cardboard and they sent it in a bare envelope with zero support. Support sent me a replacement that miraculously arrived unbent.

The tiles are fine. I put the map under a stack of books for a week and it's significantly better (and playable), but it could probably use another week. If you'd like it PM me and I can send it to you for the cost of shipping!

PM sent

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

Jump on that. It's a very good bag builder that had the misfortune to come out at the same time as Orleans. Orleans is the better game overall, but Hyperborea uses the bag building mechanic better. The limited re-release of the expansion is on the boat as of last week and there are still a few copies left - it'll probably never see print again, so it's worth the investment even if you only end up flipping it.

Seconded. It's a great bag-builder (I liked it a lot more than Orleans all-around, not just as a bag builder, personally). As others have said, it LOOKS like a DOAM game but it's actually a pretty clever Euro. You just need to prep your group for it appropriately because Euro players will want to avoid it when they see the hexes and minis and DOAM players will get annoyed as hell if they realize it's not the next Kemet or Cthulhu Wars exactly and that's what they were in the mood for...

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Thanks for the advice, I snagged it. I would grab that expansion but with the exchange rate and shipping, it would be twice the cost of the base game and I can't justify that right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wingspan digital on Steam is good times. They did an excellent job with the graphics, it's got peaceful music and they read out bird facts to you when you play a bird.