Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Street Horrrsing posted:

Thanks for the advice, I snagged it. I would grab that expansion but with the exchange rate and shipping, it would be twice the cost of the base game and I can't justify that right now.

Where are you located?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teaching myself Quest for El Dorado, so I can teach others, and I'm really enjoying the simplicity of the drafting.

Going to a mates place next weekend, and this should be just about the right skill level to get his misses involved as well.

I actually bought her Sushi Go Party for her birthday months ago, and it's been sitting on my shelf in wrap.
Ahhhh the joys of Rona ruining plans

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oddly managed to get all 3 players to El Dorado on the same turn.

Apparently I am a drafting genius? :thunk:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Memnaelar posted:

It's not that crazy. They just did the same thing with the new edition of 7 Wonders. When a game changes only facially but the game engine is still pretty much the same, it's not that hard, I imagine, to get the old code and formatting adpated and running for a new implementation.

What are the changes to the new edition? I heard some stuff got tweaked?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

socialsecurity posted:

Wingspan digital on Steam is good times. They did an excellent job with the graphics, it's got peaceful music and they read out bird facts to you when you play a bird.

THANK YOU FOR SUBSCRIBING TO BIRD FACTS

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Jedit posted:

Where are you located?

British Columbia

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Just had the Spirit Island expansion show up! I wasn't really expecting it until October so this is a pretty nice surprise. Looking forward to playing it all weekend.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Obsession 2e is good, though all the choices and planning make my brain burn near the end.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Spirit Island expansion is... A lot. Not just a lot of stuff, but a lot of rules stuff. I didn't expect the new rulebook to be equivalent in length to the base game.

Not sure how I feel about that. I wanted more Spirit Island stuff, but not so much rules.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Due to my best friend's proficiency at winning board games, our Discord group has been renamed to GODDAMMIT BRIAN.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Codeacious posted:

Spirit Island expansion is... A lot. Not just a lot of stuff, but a lot of rules stuff. I didn't expect the new rulebook to be equivalent in length to the base game.

Not sure how I feel about that. I wanted more Spirit Island stuff, but not so much rules.

Wow, I didn't realize that. Other than adding a couple of token types, what other new rules are there? I mean, if you don't mind briefly summarizing...

I thought the expansion was new spirits, new major/minor powers and events, aspects, and 2 new token types- what else requires new rules?.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I’m assuming they didn’t have branch and claw? Otherwise Jagged Earth just adds one new token and a new term “Isolate” along with all the new cards and stuff. The rulebook is big because it includes a ton of clarifying for the base game and B&C as well as rules for all of the B&C stuff if you didn’t have it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jewmanji posted:

Wow, I didn't realize that. Other than adding a couple of token types, what other new rules are there? I mean, if you don't mind briefly summarizing...

I thought the expansion was new spirits, new major/minor powers and events, aspects, and 2 new token types- what else requires new rules?.

A lot of it is repeated material from the prior expansion's rulebook, as it incorporates those things without requiring you to have both.

There are also a few sections formalizing and refining definitions of things like actions and how effects interact, etc. Not something that comes up very often but needed for adjudicating corner cases.

Oh yeah, and lots of new play options. Combining adversaries, extra boards, different board layouts, archipelago rules, etc.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Interesting, thanks for elaborating. The Branch and Claw rulebook was atrocious so I’m glad they’ve reprinted.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Spirit Island needs a big box with organization and a comprehensive rule book.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
How much will Jagged Earth be MSRP? The base game was like $90 when it came out, a big box of base game, B+C and Jagged Earth would be like $200

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Due to my best friend's proficiency at winning board games, our Discord group has been renamed to GODDAMMIT BRIAN.

We used to have a couple in our gaming group and one of them was just an unstoppable boardgame menace. They would internalise rules sufficiently to start asking strategy questions mid explanation. Their win rate was probably something like 75%.

And then the couple split and we are not keeping them. I have mixed feelings about this. Being thoroughly outclassed made any victories feel more worthwhile.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

How much will Jagged Earth be MSRP? The base game was like $90 when it came out, a big box of base game, B+C and Jagged Earth would be like $200

$41 on Gamenerdz. Base game is $56 and B&C was about 25.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Nice thing about Jagged Earth is that a lot of the stuff is modular. Don't want lots of rules overhead. Just add in the new spirits that don't use the new mechanisms. Add in the aspects for the low-complexity spirits. Add in the island/fear cards. Ready for the tokens? Add in the other spirits and minor/major powers, but play using the 'no events' rules. Then add in the events at your leisure.

Between the 'no new rules' spirits and the promo spirits (whose only new rule is isolate) and the aspects, there is already a ton of replayability in the xpac.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

$41 on Gamenerdz. Base game is $56 and B&C was about 25.

Oh drat. I had fully convinced myself I didn’t want it but $40 is frankly a great deal with that amount of added content.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Jagged Earth Chat:

I will confirm that even with the rulebook size, the only actual new rules are badlands tokens (+1 damage per full action) and isolate ( land is adjacent to nothing, unless you want it to be).

The rest is just all kinds of alternative map setups, how to combine adversaries, and then in depth explanations of things from original and Branch and Claw boxes like choice events, what each token does, etc. The other large section is a breakdown of the action system, which is just a refinement of how turns work as you play discrete cards or power. It doesn't work any different than spirit island did day 1, just clears up some edge cases of card interactions and effect timing.

So it's pretty much all rehashing and if you've been playing already there's not much extra to learn, just crack the box, learn about the two new effects, and go.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There is one errata off the top of my head: if invaders would do 0 damage while ravaging, then modifiers to total ravage damage do not apply. This is explicitly a change from how this situation was handled in B&C and is noted as such. It's a pretty small edge case and although it's more common with JE it's still not going to destroy the game if you miss it because you didn't catch the updated rule.

(e.g., under B&C rules if you strife all the invaders in a land and then pull an event that says "invaders do +3 damage when ravaging in such and such lands" then the invaders do 0+3 damage and you eat poo poo. The amended JE rules say that they don't get the boost.)

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Oh, I hadn't actually dived into the rulebook proper yet, just skimmed and thought "oh wow this is a lot". Looking more it's not too bad, minus the very large amount of errata in the back. All the errata irks me cause I don't wanna check for that during play, so I'll probably just ignore it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Also no event text resolved round one. You still flip a card for interaction reasons but skip it’s resolution.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It's a real frustration of mine that the cards in Spirit Island are often too hard to grok. That there are web-based FAQs and wikis to explain rather basic functioning of cards and address edge cases is proof that the game is a bit brittle.

Like, MtG has a billion cards at this point, with infinite variations and rule sets, and yet it's still rather clear how to play the game without so much a rulebook (to say nothing of online FAQs). Granted, I know Wizards is a much more seasoned company with a massively larger staff, but Spirit Island often just seems like if they had a more cut throat editor they could find a way to re-write rules/cards/spirits that are often less wordy. Event cards have so far been the worst offender I find. Veteran board game players in this thread may disagree, but as someone who is a bit more new to hobby and doesn't play games that are super heavy all that often, I find it disrupts the flow of play quite a bit.

Also, I know Branch and Claw was originally intended to be incorporated into the base game, which makes it all the stranger to me that each round involves moving through a location deck, an event deck, and potentially a fear deck. I wonder if Reuss had another crack at it if there'd be a way to combine locations and events into a single deck so that the "AI" retains the entropy but without the clumsiness of having separate decks. Maybe the Cole Wehrle designs have just spoiled me in terms of the level of streamlining.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 19, 2020

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Just got Tellstones in today. Haven't gotten to play it yet, but the components and box are insanely top notch. Riot out did themselves on production quality. It's surprisingly heavy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I find this odd because I’ve been playing a lot of SI and basically never need to reference anything. The cards that get wordy do so in a way that doesn’t leave any ambiguities to me. Also,I assure you the mtg documentation dwarfs anything found in modern board gaming.

That’s not to say SI couldn’t be paired down but the interactions of all the different card types is what makes it so dynamic and fluid. A good example is playing without the event deck and the game becomes almost purely mechanical and mathematical, but admittedly a lot cleaner and less fiddly. I am fine with the extra component management for what it adds to the game. I also never play with more than 2 though which keeps things manageable.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I find this odd because I’ve been playing a lot of SI and basically never need to reference anything. The cards that get wordy do so in a way that doesn’t leave any ambiguities to me. Also,I assure you the mtg documentation dwarfs anything found in modern board gaming.

That’s not to say SI couldn’t be paired down but the interactions of all the different card types is what makes it so dynamic and fluid. A good example is playing without the event deck and the game becomes almost purely mechanical and mathematical, but admittedly a lot cleaner and less fiddly. I am fine with the extra component management for what it adds to the game. I also never play with more than 2 though which keeps things manageable.

Yeah, I'm willing to admit that maybe I'm just bad at understanding rules. But I think the existence of the FAQs and wikis is testament to the fact that I'm not the only one who needs basic assistance with understanding certain cards (those wikis and FAQs are not merely addressing edge cases but fundamental functions of cards and stuff).

Sharp Fang's "Ranging Hunt" innate is a good example of this. The thresholds are as follows:

#1 - 2 Animal = You may gather one claw

#2 - 3 Animals + 2 Plant = 1 damage per claw

#3 - 2 Animal = You may push up to 2 claw

Why is #2 between #1 and #3? Is it trying to convey that you can't trigger #3 unless and until you've trigged #2? If that's the case, once you've hit #2 you've already hit #3 by default, so why isn't the threshold for #3 identical to #2? Are there other spirits where an innate has two levels that are hit by the same exact threshold? Maybe I'm the only one confused by this.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah, I'm willing to admit that maybe I'm just bad at understanding rules. But I think the existence of the FAQs and wikis is testament to the fact that I'm not the only one who needs basic assistance with understanding certain cards (those wikis and FAQs are not merely addressing edge cases but fundamental functions of cards and stuff).

Sharp Fang's "Ranging Hunt" innate is a good example of this. The thresholds are as follows:

Why is #2 between #1 and #3? Is it trying to convey that you can't trigger #3 unless and until you've trigged #2? If that's the case, once you've hit #2 you've already hit #3 by default, so why isn't the threshold for #3 identical to #2? Are there other spirits where an innate has two levels that are hit by the same exact threshold? Maybe I'm the only one confused by this.
its beacause you do the steps in order

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah you do them in order. Also the newest manual basically replicates a lot of the FAQ stuff and cleans up everything with the more discreet action breakdown for invaders, etc.

I do think the original rulebook is mediocre to learn the game with, but the rule set itself is pretty sharp and clean for the amount of interactions the game has.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Ok but then my question above remains: why is threshold 3 lower than threshold 2? For all intents and purposes you’ve already met #3 if you’ve met #2, so why does #3 need to signal that is has a lower threshold?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

Ok but then my question above remains: why is threshold 3 lower than threshold 2? For all intents and purposes you’ve already met #3 if you’ve met #2, so why does #3 need to signal that is has a lower threshold?

because you do the steps in order, and all steps of a given innate power are prefaced by the element threshold you must reach to do them. like, you could do 1 and 3 without doing 2. but if 3 was a part of 1 you'd have to do it before 2. if 2 said "then, you may push 2 animal" you wouldn't be able to do 1 + 3 without 2.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 19, 2020

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Impermanent posted:

you could do 1 and 3 without doing 2.

Ok, I think I get it. So my claim that "you can't trigger #3 unless and until you've trigged #2" is incorrect. They don't have to be triggered sequentially (1, then 2, then 3), but they do have to be triggered from top to bottom (hitting 1, skipping two, then hitting 3).

I still don't understand what the practical difference would be if you changed it from:

to

#2 - 2 Animal = You may push up to 2 claw

#3 - 3 Animals + 2 Plant = 1 damage per claw

This game can make me feel a bit dim sometimes :(

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 20, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The general play pattern you'll be going for is gather a claw into somewhere, damage invaders there, then push the claws out where they'll be useful later in the turn.

If the push happened before the damage, you'd have to choose whether you wanted the push or the damage, instead of getting both.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gather then push claws around with no damage would be mostly pointless. It lets you consolidate some claws, swipe with them, then move them to the next territory you want to hit.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Jewmanji posted:

:

Here, you target a land and:
Gather into it
Do damage there
Push them away

Jewmanji posted:

#2 - 2 Animal = You may push up to 2 claw

#3 - 3 Animals + 2 Plant = 1 damage per claw

Here you target a land and
gather them (into targeted land)
Immediately push them away (from targeted land)
Then do damage per beast (in targeted land)

I added the parenthetical to emphasize that in the second case, because you are targeting the land itself, you're likely not doing damage because you've already sent the beasts away so your 1 damage per beast is being wasted unless you skipped the push (or had a bunch more beast tokens already there).

Finally, the reason the element requirements are set that way is so that even if you're not hitting the thresholds for damage, it's really easy to hit the 2 beast requirement so you can use this skill to move beasts around to set up your other powers, without which you'd be a pretty sad spirit.

Also important about push: you target a land to push from, which let's you split those beasts up if need be. That's why you may sometimes want to gather then immediately push away, you may not want then in targeted land but instead spread into adjacent lands, or use this as a 2 range movement.

I'll add to those that said I've been able to follow pretty easily, and so have most people we've introduced the game to (though it helps that my wife and I talk through the turns at first).

Biggest things are

1 Always do things in order from top to bottom on any given card or action, and

2 Remember you are almost always targeting a single specific land and only making actions in that one land.

Usually if someone gets confused it's because they start trying to spread all their effects around instead of just placing their finger on the map and doing things in that one spot. Effects that work otherwise are explicit:

"Push 2 Dahan
In lands you pushed Dahan to, 2 damage per Dahan"

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 20, 2020

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
They don't all have to trigger, but they have to trigger in sequence.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The sequence is what tells the story.

AmericanPsychonaut
Dec 5, 2005

Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God. It even has a watermark.
To add to the discussion about Spirit Island, I managed to break out Jagged Earth and was playing as Many Minds Move as One. One of the starting power cards, A Dreadful Tide of Scurrying Flesh, lets you remove half the Beasts from a land to add some Fear and skip one Invader Action per Beast removed. I've tried to find a solution to parsing this, but have only come up with vague answers so far.

My main question I guess is this: Is the only reason you would remove more than one Beast just to add more Fear, or can you somehow stack the skipping of multiple actions? The only plausible reason for this that I can see would be if you're targeting a land that would Explore, and got multiple skips then in subsequent turns you could prevent the Build and possible Ravage as well. This doesn't seem right though, since I haven't run into other powers that effectively let their effects span multiple turns.

The other question is probably a minor point, but is there a difference between Skip One Invader Action in a land vs. Skip All Invader Actions in a land? I was under the impression that the Invaders could only take one action in each land anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Consider a scenario where there are two Jungle cards in the invader track at the same time.