Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

However, I do agree that if you have a smaller 3-4 people group, there is a wide variety (dependingly) "better" games to play. Though it still fits a nice niche and it's a staple everyone should have, if only for those 5+ group nights or when you're playing with "casual" people and want to start off with something light-ish.

Yeah, I'm really hard pressed to think of many games that fill the same niche as 7 Wonders does for large groups. In fact, I can't really think of any. There are more social games like Dixit or The Resistance, but I wouldn't put those in the same category at all. Team 7 Wonders is also a lot of fun and something I really recommend that people try. I actually think it makes the game better in smaller groups, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

bobvonunheil posted:

I've been playing stuff like Agricola and Terra Mystica for years, I guess I was surprised that such a highly-regarded game didn't seem to have more going on strategy-wise.

At least Castles of Burgundy will be easier to get to the table than those other ones, which tend to sit around unopened for years :sigh:

You're answering your own questions here, you recognise that right? :P Also if everyone managed to fill their fields with their desired animal type that suggests you were all playing too nice.

CoB is the most popular "step up" from Carcassonne, TTR or Settlers of Catan (and I suspect the hex tiles and dice rolling remind people of Settlers in a good way). It's not rated highly for its ability to compete with Terra Mystica on depth.

I see a similar reaction from people who play 7 Wonders, finish the drafting and go "that's it??". Well, yeah. Most collections need some accessible strategy games and the best, most flexible, most accessible ones get rated very highly.

sonatinas posted:

Played Le Havre and Hansa Teutonica for the first time over the weekend.

Le Havre seems to have more interaction than Agricola and penalties for not feeding you crew are not as dire as Agricola. Also, I do like how everyone shares the cards instead of what you have in your hand. For right now I do prefer Le Havre over Agricola; however, I ma be biased since I'm bad at Agricola.

Le Havre has two major drawbacks compared to Agricola - it's harder to get to the table due to length, and there's less obvious game-to-game variation (this could be a positive too but at this point I get the feeling people who play Agricola over Caverna value the randomness of occupation cards highly). I like it a lot more but wish I could play it more often, especially with 3 players.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

About the worst thing I can say about 7 Wonders is that it fills such a rare niche that if your group is usually 5-7 people, and you've got a majority of people clinging to the asinine ideal that everyone should play together at all times, you're going to get sick of 7 Wonders very fast. I have nothing really against the game, but I have no desire to ever play it again.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bubble-T posted:

You're answering your own questions here, you recognise that right? :P Also if everyone managed to fill their fields with their desired animal type that suggests you were all playing too nice.

CoB is the most popular "step up" from Carcassonne, TTR or Settlers of Catan (and I suspect the hex tiles and dice rolling remind people of Settlers in a good way). It's not rated highly for its ability to compete with Terra Mystica on depth.

I see a similar reaction from people who play 7 Wonders, finish the drafting and go "that's it??". Well, yeah. Most collections need some accessible strategy games and the best, most flexible, most accessible ones get rated very highly.

Le Havre has two major drawbacks compared to Agricola - it's harder to get to the table due to length, and there's less obvious game-to-game variation (this could be a positive too but at this point I get the feeling people who play Agricola over Caverna value the randomness of occupation cards highly). I like it a lot more but wish I could play it more often, especially with 3 players.

I'll be curious how much my opinion will change after many plays. Next up we'll tackle Caverna since a friend bought both of them.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Scyther posted:

About the worst thing I can say about 7 Wonders is that it fills such a rare niche that if your group is usually 5-7 people, and you've got a majority of people clinging to the asinine ideal that everyone should play together at all times, you're going to get sick of 7 Wonders very fast. I have nothing really against the game, but I have no desire to ever play it again.

My regular groups are 3-4 players, 7 Wonders works perfectly for the odd occasions where we have more and I want to play something other than Avalon. If it's your main game then you have a problem, yeah.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Scyther posted:

Is it really that weird of a niche? My normal group is 3-4 people, but once every few months we'll get together with a few extra friends and end up in the 6-8 range. I'm usually the first person to say that you should just break up into smaller groups with regular high player count groups, but not for one off or infrequent nights.

Edit- I guess I'm also just weird or something, because I like 7 Wonders enough that I actually do look forward to playing it when we have big nights. It beats the hell out of a lot of the alternatives.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I guess my point is people use 7 wonders as a crutch. Great 3 and 4 player games sit unplayed because The Cat Piss Man's Wife doesn't want to split up the group so guess what we're playing 7 wonders and then a bunch of party games. It's no fault of the game, just my experience with lovely groups.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I'll also chime in with my usual point that Team 7 Wonders is a lot better game than regular. Running two kingdoms, and deciding how to split strong incoming cards between you, means that there's very rarely "autopilot plays". It becomes a very interesting and quite social game.

quote:

It's a weird combination of too random and not random enough. Everything is fixed bar the opening hands and the Wonders, but if the hands don't match the Wonders or fall in the wrong place you can be screwed.

7 Wonders holds up to reasonably serious play - yes, you can open bad hands or stumble into good combos, but it's not like Magic where someone just "opens a bomb" and wins. Drafting is a skill intensive mechanic; if you keep an eye on the table, and a have a basic knowledge of what cards exist, you can outperform people pretty well. My biggest luck complaint would be with regards to Guilds (and to a lesser extent, Leaders). Lots of guilds are only going to do well for people in certain scenarios, and that can skew the draft somewhat when they show up or don't. The leaders, for their part, are generally just not as well balanced as the main card body; they're also more prone to "big combo" play, which is unsatisfying given that you pick them at the very beginning.

In terms of variety, though, Leaders and Guilds are both great. And in general the game plays very different not just based on Wonders, but on the whole combination of Wonders. You play very different sitting next to Giza than you would sitting next to Rhodes - and that all cascades out into a lot of variety.

We've slowed down playing 7 Wonders, but it's a really strong game.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

As someone who played and enjoyed Betrayal once, but can see the huge potential it has for being swingy and causing all kinds of random unenjoyable nonsense, what are some good games that deliver the same kind of experience without as many of those issues?

I am also wondering about this. I've heard that Touch of Evil is sort of an intermediate between something like Arkham Horror and Betrayal, but I haven't actually played it.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I played Touch of Evil many times a few years back, and remember never having had fun. Don't remember any specifics, but I think it suffers from the same issues that most Flying Frog games do.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Since the 7 Wonders discussion continued after my post about my decision between it, Agricola, Chaos in the Old World, or Kemet, maybe I can get more advice.

If I have Eclipse, should I not go with the latter two since I also don't have a worker placement game? The Chaos theme wouldn't bother the people I would probably play with, and in fact they would probably embrace it. It's random if the group would be 3, 4, or 5 (possibly more, but rare).

I've played Agricola once and I'd definitely like it. I also believe it's on the longer side though and with Eldritch Horror being my other newest game, maybe one of the other shorter ones would be better.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Clockwork Gadget posted:

I played Touch of Evil many times a few years back, and remember never having had fun. Don't remember any specifics, but I think it suffers from the same issues that most Flying Frog games do.

Very much so. It has a few good ideas (the villagers each having a random dark secret; the big bad having specific monster spawns and such associated with it), but it's also kind of bland and random. It's a roll to move game, for starters, which I'm not sure is ever fun but certainly isn't here. You're getting most of your stuff from four decks that also contain generic negative encounters, and it's mostly just straight numerical bonuses to the four (very unevenly useful) main character stats. And if you want a cooperative experience, well, the game has a cooperative mode but it feels like an afterthought. The cards don't even reflect it in their text.

It might be better with the "advanced" villain mode on and maybe expansions, but I'd probably rather just play Eldritch Horror instead, myself. (Or Arkham, come to that.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Since the 7 Wonders discussion continued after my post about my decision between it, Agricola, Chaos in the Old World, or Kemet, maybe I can get more advice.

If I have Eclipse, should I not go with the latter two since I also don't have a worker placement game? The Chaos theme wouldn't bother the people I would probably play with, and in fact they would probably embrace it. It's random if the group would be 3, 4, or 5 (possibly more, but rare).

I've played Agricola once and I'd definitely like it. I also believe it's on the longer side though and with Eldritch Horror being my other newest game, maybe one of the other shorter ones would be better.

Chaos wouldn't scale to three very well, and requires the expansion for 5. YMMV whether adding the Horned Rat ruins the experience - some people seem to think so, I don't.

Kemet and Agricola both scale quite well.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

malkav11 posted:

Chaos wouldn't scale to three very well, and requires the expansion for 5. YMMV whether adding the Horned Rat ruins the experience - some people seem to think so, I don't.

Kemet and Agricola both scale quite well.

Yeah I know Chaos is just for 4. Just letting people know that my group is sometimes 4 because if it was never, then Chaos wouldn't be an option.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

KingKapalone posted:

Agricola is probably the most well-rounded worker placement game out there. Caylus may be better, but it is dry as all hell. Lords of Waterdeep is a lot more accessible, but is aggressively mediocre. It also has tons of replayability with the multiple decks included in the box. Finally, there's a family mode that is simpler if complexity is an issue.

Chaos in the Old World and Kemet fill approximately the same niche of aggressive area control. Kemet scales much better to different numbers of players, but Chaos is one of my top games, so I'm a bit biased on this choice.

7 Wonders scales better than any game I know that isn't Tsuro, but it doesn't sound like that's too much of an issue. It's a good game, but has nowhere near the staying power of the other three games.

If length is a concern, stick to Kemet or 7 Wonders. If your players are concerned about complexity (how popular is Eclipse?), go with 7 Wonders.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I tried Core Worlds for the second time today. It's a deckbuilder with a very Race For the Galaxy like feel. The first time I played it, it was the base game only with no expansions. It felt okay-ish but was lacking something. This time I played with the all of the expansions combined and the game improved quite a bit. Galactic Orders is a must have expansion. The content it adds is all around great and really furthers to experience of the game. The second expansion, Revolution, was just so so. Advancements were a decent addition although I never bothered to buy them. Not enough of them came out and the only one I seriously considered was snagged before my turn. And then the Hero Tactics are strange, kinda fiddly, and ultimately felt inconsequential.

malkav11 posted:

Very much so. It has a few good ideas (the villagers each having a random dark secret; the big bad having specific monster spawns and such associated with it), but it's also kind of bland and random. It's a roll to move game, for starters, which I'm not sure is ever fun but certainly isn't here. You're getting most of your stuff from four decks that also contain generic negative encounters, and it's mostly just straight numerical bonuses to the four (very unevenly useful) main character stats. And if you want a cooperative experience, well, the game has a cooperative mode but it feels like an afterthought. The cards don't even reflect it in their text.

It might be better with the "advanced" villain mode on and maybe expansions, but I'd probably rather just play Eldritch Horror instead, myself. (Or Arkham, come to that.)

Oh boy. A Touch of Evil is my favorite guilty pleasure board game. I just love the theme, art direction, and copious amounts of gothic styled villains. It is literally Sleepy Hollow the Movie the Game. But even I would have to agree that the game is flawed out of the box. It doesn't scale well with the number of players. Competitive mode is arguably the most balanced, but no one plays that, and unfortunately Coop isn't designed well. Some of the base game villains are kinda "huh?" in their design. All in all, I just want to nurse it back to health with a heaping dose of house rules. It's like there's a potentially brilliant adventure game in there if FFP wasn't so wed to their silly dice fest tropes. There are a few expansions and they make the game a bit better with more flavorful and challenging villains and a bigger board to explore. You really need them to make the game more palatable which is a big investment to ask. Not recommended unless you love the theme.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jedit posted:

It's a weird combination of too random and not random enough. Everything is fixed bar the opening hands and the Wonders, but if the hands don't match the Wonders or fall in the wrong place you can be screwed.

I don't think I've ever considered myself screwed by chance in 7 Wonders. I can always point at the thing I didn't do that killed me. Why didn't I build any bricks, why did I skip glass, why didn't I grab that one science card, etc. Just the calculated risks that come back to bite you.

It's really important to stay flexible, especially so you can make counter-plays to get some points and slow people down. Just digging in and trying to build your wonder is a fool's errand, most of the wonders aren't worth it, in and of themselves. I tend to use them for burying cards, but I'm an aggressive counter-drafter. I mean, certain wonders (Halicarnassus and Gizah both come to mind) are really core to how you're going to play, obviously, but most only really serve the purpose of getting points for junk cards or counter-drafts.

I think 7 Wonders and Carcassonne have a bit of a common thread in that once people get that aggression, calculated risk, and denial are valid tactics, the way the game works changes.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Cocks Cable posted:

Oh boy. A Touch of Evil is my favorite guilty pleasure board game. I just love the theme, art direction, and copious amounts of gothic styled villains. It is literally Sleepy Hollow the Movie the Game. But even I would have to agree that the game is flawed out of the box. It doesn't scale well with the number of players. Competitive mode is arguably the most balanced, but no one plays that, and unfortunately Coop isn't designed well. Some of the base game villains are kinda "huh?" in their design. All in all, I just want to nurse it back to health with a heaping dose of house rules. It's like there's a potentially brilliant adventure game in there if FFP wasn't so wed to their silly dice fest tropes. There are a few expansions and they make the game a bit better with more flavorful and challenging villains and a bigger board to explore. You really need them to make the game more palatable which is a big investment to ask. Not recommended unless you love the theme.

I'd really love it if someone other than Flying Frog did a similarly themed pure coop game with stronger core design. (Well, I mean, if Flying Frog could manage it, it could be them. I just have no faith in their ability to do so.) It's a concept I want to like, I just really couldn't find the fun in A Touch of Evil.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I gave Stonemaier Games $239 today, for Viticulture, Tuscany, the metal coins, and Euphoria.

Got an email from Jamey a few hours later thanking me and letting me know that all the Viticulture stuff is shipping in a few days, can't wait to make some wine.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I have a small but growing board game collection. So far, my fiancee and I have accrued Carcassonne, Love Letter and Pandemic, which we've enjoyed immensely. However, we also picked up Tales of the Arabian Nights and Ladies and Gentlemen and the really strong themes in both these games has really won us over.

Which leads me to the question: what are some other games that are celebrated for their strong thematic elements?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

elgarbo posted:

I have a small but growing board game collection. So far, my fiancee and I have accrued Carcassonne, Love Letter and Pandemic, which we've enjoyed immensely. However, we also picked up Tales of the Arabian Nights and Ladies and Gentlemen and the really strong themes in both these games has really won us over.

Which leads me to the question: what are some other games that are celebrated for their strong thematic elements?

Battlestar Galactica is a classic highly-thematic game, but it plays best with exactly 5, and only OK with other numbers.

Chaos in the Old World is quite thematic, and a good buy if you are into Warhammer Fantasy at all. Plays exactly 4.

If you are looking for thematic co-op probably Eldritch Horror is your best bet, but that can boil down to a whole lot of dice chucking. It isn't as restrictive with player numbers as those other two though.

Also people keep talking about Kemet, which is packed with gorgeous Egyptian-themed art and a really good game to boot. If that fits the bill as 'thematic' then you should definitely go for that.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Cocks Cable posted:

There are a few expansions and they make the game a bit better with more flavorful and challenging villains and a bigger board to explore. You really need them to make the game more palatable which is a big investment to ask.

Are there any particular ones you'd single out?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

elgarbo posted:

Space Alert, Tragedy Looper, Dungeon Lords, Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Petz, Click Clack Lumberjack, Falling, Lifeboats, Netrunner, the previously mentioned Battlestar Galactica, and The Resistance+.

edit: deets
Space Alert used to be Thread Game #1. It's a dark comedy realtime spaceship panic simulator.
Tragedy Looper is an asymmetric 3v1 time travel deduction torture puzzle strategy game. It's phenomenal.
Dungeon Lords is about building dungeons, hiring monsters, dealing with bureaucracy and red tape, and fending off D&D adventuring parties.
Galaxy Trucker is about racing to build ships that race to earn profit while also watching them get violently deconstructed by explosions and debris.
Dungeon Petz is the sequel to Dungeon Lords where you raise tiny monsters that have a habit of opening magical portals, making GBS threads all over everything, and being generally belligerent.
Click Clack Lumberjack is a 1:1 Korean Lumberjack Simulator.
Falling (and Falling 2014, the new edition that just came out) is a real-time game where you're falling and you're doing whatever you can to outlive your opponents.
Lifeboats is Survivor but with fewer physical challenges and more backstabbing.
Netrunner (specifically Android: Netrunner) is a 1v1 card game from Richard Garfield about a hacker trying to take down a corporation. Has its own thread.
Battlestar Galactica also has its own thread.
The Resistance+ (The Resistance, Resistance: Avalon which replaces Resistance, Resistance: Hostile Intent which adds onto Resistance and replaces Avalon, and Resistance: Hidden Agenda which adds onto Resistance) is about being in an underground freedom fighters group that has been infiltrated by spies working for the state.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 15, 2014

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Broken Loose posted:

Space Alert, Tragedy Looper, Dungeon Lords, Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Petz, Click Clack Lumberjack, Falling, Lifeboats, Netrunner, the previously mentioned Battlestar Galactica, and The Resistance+.

Come to think of it, if you and your fiancee liked Ladies and Gentlemen, the realtime components of Galaxy Trucker and Space Alert will be up your alley. plus you will be paying proper respect to Vlaada. Space Alert needs 4 or 5 players though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel Tokaido is a pretty thematic game; The art and pace do a good job relaxing you and making you feel like you're on a mini-vacation. But the game is bad so I really can't recommend it beyond that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FISHMANPET posted:

I gave Stonemaier Games $239 today, for Viticulture, Tuscany, the metal coins, and Euphoria.

Got an email from Jamey a few hours later thanking me and letting me know that all the Viticulture stuff is shipping in a few days, can't wait to make some wine.

Jamey Stonemaier is one of the best guys in the business for support. I picked up Euphoria at Essen; when I got home I found there were some missing resource markers and the white dice were replaced by a second set of green dice. I got in touch, explained the problem, and my bits were in the post next day. Then I didn't get my tracking number for early shipping on Viticulture CE. I asked Jamey what gives, he said I wasn't on the list but he'd see what he could do. Turns out he sent a few extra copies to the distributor in case of damage in transit, which is wise, and he personally got in touch with them and arranged for them to ship one to me. He is the Duke of New York, A number 1, and you should all give him lots of money.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Okay, I personally have enjoyed 7 Wonders every time I've played it, but this is definitely not true, at least not for me. I mean, it's true for the simpler cards, like the ones that give you resources or military points, but as soon as you get to third age (and before that with expansions) you're suddenly drowning in a sea of different symbols that you simply can't parse the first few times playing without constantly checking the reference sheet. I mean, I get why they're doing it, but I still think many cards in 7 Wonders actually lose intuitiveness because of their heavy use of icons rather than text.

I'm in discussion with the company publishing my game on this subject. They want to do icons for everything so it is language independent, I don't want my game to be filled full of one-shot icons players have to reference.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

Sweet, thanks! This'll take about ten years for me to investigate (and afford) so I'm pretty much all set.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Broken Loose posted:

Falling (and Falling 2014, the new edition that just came out) is a real-time game where you're falling and you're doing whatever you can to outlive your opponents.

This sounds interesting and I haven't heard of it before, can you let me know a little bit more about it? Why is it good?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Aston posted:

This sounds interesting and I haven't heard of it before, can you let me know a little bit more about it? Why is it good?

Falling is actually from 1998. It was one of the forerunners of real-time game design, and was made by James Ernest, one of my personal heroes (he and Vlaada Chvatil are my biggest inspirations). Here's a brief rundown of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hmxVTvA8Rc

It's highly interactive, the deck is really well-composed (I normally hate single-deck card games due to the luck element involved, but Falling has only a few basic card types with a huge amount of duplicates of each), fast (60-180 seconds per game depending on dealer speed), and surprisingly deep. The game has a tight balance of increasing your option base, manipulating the speed of the deck, dexterity, and trying to powerbomb your opponents into the ground.

Falling has gone through many versions. I have 2 copies of the 1998 edition (because I used to regularly play with 8-man groups when I was in high school last century), there's the goblin edition in that UFBRT video, a PnP edition that uses the 98 art, the Polish Cow version, and Falling 2014 which is the only edition that had rule changes.

Falling 2014 cleans up the Action cards (Push and Grab have been consolidated into a single Move action, which is much less of a hassle to teach) and adds 3 semi-permanent Riders which are hilarious in both concept and execution. There's an Anvil which provides a semi-permanent Hit, a Chute which provides a semi-permanent Skip, and Goggles which do nothing (although they take up your Rider slot which itself is notable). It just came out not a month ago and is only like 7 bucks at Coolstuff.

If you're interested but $6.79 breaks your bank, the original version is available on the Cheapass Games website for free. I think the 2014 edition additions are really cool and well-implemented, however.

My love of Falling dates back to when Kill Doctor Lucky was my favorite game. While KDL has real problems that make it a bit of a drag to play nowadays, Falling's sharp, efficient, and visceral design still carries it even against modern games. It even has scaling difficulty based simply off how fast the dealer deals. I highly recommend it.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Speaking of free print-n-play games, does anyone know of any good ones?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

This sounds super cool and as soon as I can find somewhere in Europe that sells it I'm getting it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ambushsabre posted:

There's a PnP version of Red7, if you want. If you're in the US just buy it, though.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Hundreds? Really?
I'll bite: I've been looking to pick up 7 Wonders for a bit. Give me a list of 100 games better than it, and I'll buy one of them next semester.

To be fair 3-4 players are best games seem the most plentiful. I play 4 person 7 Wonders begrudgingly, but 3 players is right out.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

ambushsabre posted:

You can get a Print-n-Play copy of BattleCon: Devastation of Indines that comes with four characters. The Battlecon thread has more info.

The Battlecon system is a very elegant card-based combat system reminiscent of fighting games like Street Fighter, based around simultaneously revealing adjective-noun pairs (like 'Burning Strike' formed by a 'Burning' card paired with a 'Strike' card), and is very strongly based around second-guessing your opponent. I highly recommend it, and if you get into the main game there are a ridiculous 30 characters in the big box, all of which play very differently, and about a dozen different ways to play the game itself.

The box says it's a game for 1-5 players but it's a two player game at heart. Maybe a 4 player game in 2v2 teams if you like clusterfucks.

[EDIT] Another four characters for Print n Play can be found here

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 15, 2014

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

elgarbo posted:

Sweet, thanks! This'll take about ten years for me to investigate (and afford) so I'm pretty much all set.

Consider also adding Mage Knight to the list. (But only if you're okay with games taking 4+ hours.) The board game, not the clix miniatures game.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ambushsabre posted:

RoboDerby: Express is basically a slimmed-down travel version of RoboRally; there's absolutely no reason to choose it if you already have RoboRally, but it's there. You might also want to check out The Thing, which is better than it should be (although takes a LOT of printing) and Micropul, which is absolutely the best abstract print-and-play game I've played. It's themed in a million and one ways too, so you can really make it look like whatever you want when you play.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Had a chance to play a 3-player game of Lagoon over the weekend. I still don't think that I've unlocked the potential of this game. Maybe we just had a bad string of tiles, but overall it felt like we weren't using the tile actions very much. I want to like this game a lot, but I'm just struggling to have a good experience with it and I can't quite put my finger on why.

Also got in my first game of Caylus. Thankfully the other players did their best to speed up the game. It's not that I didn't like it, I did, I just wasn't prepared to sit down and hurt my brain this time, but rather just get a little sampling of how the game functioned. I'm looking forward to my next play of it, and there seems to be quite a bit to digest.

The highlight, though, was the 10 or so games of Temporum that we got in. 2, 3, and 4 player all worked very well, and the 2 player games I played were especially enjoyable and really had that knife-fight quality to them that I look for. At no point did it feel like I was playing solitaire (which sometimes happens in Dominion). I've really fallen in love with this game and I can't wait to see what sort of things are planned for the inevitable expansion. My favorite moment of the weekend was during a 2 player game with Cybernetics Age out (where you can copy blue cards you have in front of you). I ended up with 3 copies of the one that lets you draw a card when you score, and 2 copies of the one that reduces scoring costs. I kept scoring 4 crown cards for free till I had a 12 point Barbarian Horde (discard cards to advance crowns) finisher.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Had a game night this weekend!
Started with Marvel Legendary which we ended up losing because the combo of Mysterio (he gains "lives" during the game meaning you have to hit him more to win) and Superhero Civil War scheme was drastically underestimated. We bickered a bit too much over points early and lost HARD. haha Super fun though.
Next up was Pandemic when a fourth person arrived. This game is pretty new to us, but we came quite close to winning. Needed 2 more turns (total, not each) and we would have cured the final two diseases. Definitely need/want to play more.
When our 5th arrived we busted out my new purchase of Space Alert. Started with the two "test" missions. We beat both, but it was awesome. Sadly that is all we got to because someone else randomly showed up, but cannot wait to start adding in the rest of the stuff and playing real missions. I know at least one guy in my group is probably going to stop being interested in playing once more stuff happens and we really start to panic. He doesn't deal well with that. I guess we'll see. The only downside of the rate of which the test missions ease you in is that at least one person each time felt like they basically did nothing. Cool, I'll fire this gun and...wait. A lot. I'm guessing that most definitely won't be the case when we get to real stuff.
With the 6th we played a round of Dixit and then One Night Werewolf. A good finish to the night. Although I do wish we had just been able to keep playing Space Alert hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So update on the suggestions I was asking for... I ended up just buying Puerto Rico. It probably won't see much play with my group but I figure it's one of those games I should probably at least own and try out.