Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

One thing about Space Alert that you need to be careful if your group is used to playing other (lesser :smug:) co-ops: you will probably need to tell people that they need to be pro-active within the game and not wait for instructions, since there isn't time (especially to crank up the difficulty) for people to tell other people what to do. This can be quite difficult for players that are used to a lot of quarterbacking and I've seen people do nothing at all because people didn't directly what to do. Usually to get people of their shell I do stuff like saying 'okay I need to fire the cannon at time X while someone fires the secondary gun, who can do it?'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Cocks Cable posted:

I tried Core Worlds for the second time today. It's a deckbuilder with a very Race For the Galaxy like feel. The first time I played it, it was the base game only with no expansions. It felt okay-ish but was lacking something. This time I played with the all of the expansions combined and the game improved quite a bit. Galactic Orders is a must have expansion. The content it adds is all around great and really furthers to experience of the game. The second expansion, Revolution, was just so so. Advancements were a decent addition although I never bothered to buy them. Not enough of them came out and the only one I seriously considered was snagged before my turn. And then the Hero Tactics are strange, kinda fiddly, and ultimately felt inconsequential.

We played Core Worlds thrice now including the one this weekend, once only with the base and twice with the Galactic Orders. At end of all playthroughs the consensus was that it took too long and the decks weren't cycling fast enough in the 10 turn run of the game to make your buys worth the effort. Even with the extra draw powers and the one trash ability of the home world advancement and rare chances of colonizing the invaded planets to get rid of one grunt or snub.

I like the theme and the art but can't seem to be able run this game in a fashion that leaves most players satisfied after.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Played King of New York for the first time. Definitely feels like a broader game than King of Tokyo. For the first time ever in our group someone won based on points, with another player having 19 and everyone still in the game. Next match was a real slugfest, but even here the moving, crushing hospitals to heal, etc. just gives you way more options on how to approach the game. It does take a bit longer than KoT because you have more options to choose from and resolving buildings and ouch dice takes more time than the simple 1,2 or 3 from KoT, but it is still short enough to squeeze one or two games in between the heavier stuff.

Also played Coup for the first time. That is some tight design, wow. Everything just seems to be balanced so well, the whole game works great and you can play with less than a minute of explaining. Very impressive.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

InShaneee posted:

Are there any particular ones you'd single out?

There are two big box expansions, Something Wicked and The Coast, that add a whole board each plus bunch of content (more heroes, more villains, etc). They are pretty comparable to each other but I like Something Wicked overall better. The Coast adds a small second town, Tidewater, that would be neat if it wasn't so annoying due to FFP design.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Elysium posted:

So update on the suggestions I was asking for... I ended up just buying Puerto Rico. It probably won't see much play with my group but I figure it's one of those games I should probably at least own and try out.

Puerto Rico's a solid game that has a place in any collection; even if it doesn't get a whole lot of play, it's a good pick.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Anybody else hang out on yucata.de and care to recommend any of the games there?

I recently discovered the site while looking for a way to play Thunderstone online, have since gotten semi-hooked on Port Royal, looking for some other games of a similar weight to play with my friends. There's a lot of games on there but I'm not familiar with most of them. Looking primarily for casual-but-thinky but I'm interested to know about any standouts on there.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
EDIT: THIS IS ACTUALLY BOITAJEUX: Yucata.de is one of the only online board game websites I know of to feature Dungeon Petz, a highly rated worker-placement Vlaada Chvatil game. They also haev Castles of Burgundy, which defines "casual-but-thinky" in Euro games.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 15, 2014

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Impermanent posted:

Yucata.de is one of the only online board game websites I know of to feature Dungeon Petz, a highly rated worker-placement Vlaada Chvatil game. They also haev Castles of Burgundy, which defines "casual-but-thinky" in Euro games.

Uh. Boiteajeux also has demon pets and cob, unless it's the same site in disguise?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Nope, I just totally confused myself. I was thinking of Boitajeux.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

They also have Deus, which is a newer but really nice game, Tzolkin the gear game, and a variety of others.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

BioTech posted:

Also played Coup for the first time. That is some tight design, wow. Everything just seems to be balanced so well, the whole game works great and you can play with less than a minute of explaining. Very impressive.

Coup is fantastic. Not only is it as simple as you describe, it evolves as you play. It somehow manages to draw out layers on layers of deception without ever becoming pure guesswork.

It's honestly jaw dropping in how elegant it is.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pierzak posted:

I hear the new expansion is pretty bullshit.

I don't think they prettied it up at all, actually.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Thanks for the pointer to boiteajeux, lots of enticing things there! (Including what at first glance appears to be a less byzantine and clunky implementation of Agricola than the one on play-agricola.com)

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

echoMateria posted:

We played Core Worlds thrice now including the one this weekend, once only with the base and twice with the Galactic Orders. At end of all playthroughs the consensus was that it took too long and the decks weren't cycling fast enough in the 10 turn run of the game to make your buys worth the effort. Even with the extra draw powers and the one trash ability of the home world advancement and rare chances of colonizing the invaded planets to get rid of one grunt or snub.

I like the theme and the art but can't seem to be able run this game in a fashion that leaves most players satisfied after.

That was my impression with the base game, but not with the Galactic Orders expansion. You should be aiming to invade 1 world per round and buy 1 or 2 cards per round. If you take advantage of every trash opportunity, you should be breaking about even in deck size. The starter deck is like 16 cards so it cycles every two rounds-ish. The deck building aspect is more about point scoring at the end I guess. It's definitely not Dominion-like where you can draw up your entire deck every turn.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

h_double posted:

Thanks for the pointer to boiteajeux, lots of enticing things there! (Including what at first glance appears to be a less byzantine and clunky implementation of Agricola than the one on play-agricola.com)

I have played many, many games of Agricola on Boite a Jeux. Aside from server downtime when too many people are playing their turns, it's been great. I did have a friend struggle to play it on his phone; there's a notification that THIS TURN IS THE HARVEST that he kept missing for whatever reason.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Broken Loose posted:

My love of Falling dates back to when Kill Doctor Lucky was my favorite game. While KDL has real problems that make it a bit of a drag to play nowadays, Falling's sharp, efficient, and visceral design still carries it even against modern games. It even has scaling difficulty based simply off how fast the dealer deals. I highly recommend it.

Woo James Ernest . If you really liked Kill Doctor Lucky, have you looked at Get Lucky? It's a card game version of KDL but simplified and lightened up.

There are 15 guests, each who wishes to kill Doctor Lucky, and they are numbered 1 through 15. Each player has 2 guests in front of them, and there are 3 in the drawing room. Any extras are absent. A little pawn represents Doctor Lucky as he goes around his manse and entertains his guests in numerical order, which determines the order of play. When he visits a guest in front of a player, they may play an upgrade on either of their guests, exchange either of their guests for someone in the drawing room, or simply draw a card. They may also attempt to kill Doctor Lucky, but that must be done with the guest who he is currently visiting. The deck is full of only 2 types of cards: upgrades and spite. There are three types of upgrades: motives, weapons, and opportunities. Each guest may only have one upgrade of each type, and each improves their power to kill Doctor Lucky by 1, unless the upgrade has the same number as the guest. In that case, it is the 'perfect' opportunity, weapon or motive and improves their power by 2. If Doctor Lucky visits a player in the drawing room, each player with a number of cards in their hand lower than the number on the guest may draw a card, clockwise starting from the player controlling the non-drawing room guest who Doctor Lucky most recently left.

When a player makes an attempt on Doctor Lucky, they total their upgrades and add one for themselves. So, a guest with a perfect weapon and an imperfect opportunity has 4 attack strength. Now, each upgrade has either two, one, or zero clover leafs on it. (Each guest has them distributed randomly through their 3 upgrades, so no type of upgrade is necessarily better for this purpose.) Clockwise, players must discard cards with a number of clover leafs enough to reduce the attempt to zero, or at least as far as they wish to. Two exceptions to this: spite cards also have single clover leafs on them, and are only used to reduce attack power in the same way, but that spite sticks to that guest, permanently reducing their attack power. (This is one big reason for getting rid of a guest, once they get hobbled by spite.) Also, if a player discards a perfect upgrade for the attacker (that is, an upgrade with the same number as the guest Doctor Lucky is visiting), the attack automatically fails, even if it has no clover leafs. Play continues until an attack resolves without being reduced to zero. If that happens, the player controlling that guest wins.

One other great "Ernest-ism" is in the special two player rules. For two players, it's the same except you start with 8 cards and 3 guests, and one other rule.

Get Lucky Rulebook, Cheapass.com posted:

Murder Changes:
After a murder attempt, the opposing player may pass some or all of the responsibility to an imaginary player named Howard. The live player always plays first, and then Howard tries to stop the murder by playing from the top of the deck. Howard will play up to X cards, where X is the amount of luck that was passed to him. For example, if Howard is responsible for 3 points of luck, he will draw up to 3 cards, stopping when the murder attempt is foiled. These cards go to the discard pile, except for Spite, which attaches to the murderer as usual.

Yeah, you could just say "Draw from the top as well" but would that be as much fun? Similarly, the cards are so mechanically simple that there's room for lots of humorous flavor text, if you like that sort of thing.

It's not going to set the world on fire, but it's silly fun with mild bluffing and risk management, with an elegant mechanical backbone. The best part is, you can get the fun of KDL with a setup of only two minutes and you don't have to worry about forgetting to move Doctor Lucky or dealing with the board or mixing up your spite chips or figuring out line of sight or 'oh poo poo we didn't move Doctor Lucky AGAIN' anything.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Jedit posted:

Jamey Stonemaier is one of the best guys in the business for support. I picked up Euphoria at Essen; when I got home I found there were some missing resource markers and the white dice were replaced by a second set of green dice. I got in touch, explained the problem, and my bits were in the post next day. Then I didn't get my tracking number for early shipping on Viticulture CE. I asked Jamey what gives, he said I wasn't on the list but he'd see what he could do. Turns out he sent a few extra copies to the distributor in case of damage in transit, which is wise, and he personally got in touch with them and arranged for them to ship one to me. He is the Duke of New York, A number 1, and you should all give him lots of money.

The whole thing sounds... too perfect? Like, it's this dude who kickstarted a game, and it did really well, and it's balooned into him kickstarting more games, and "publishing" other people's games via kicstarter, and writing a ton about kickstarter as an expert, and even writing a book about kickstarter. Like, what's the flipside? Does he have people chained in his basement?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Guess what Vlaada -related kickstarter stuff I just got in the mail? :q:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Tekopo posted:

Deluxe Travel Blog with premium Euro coins?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
Holy poo poo how did I miss this: https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/542764042520391681/photo/1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Cocks Cable posted:

Deluxe Travel Blog with premium Euro coins?
Man, did I miss THAT kickstarter as well? :confused:

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Are you in the US?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

burger time posted:

Are you in the US?
Nope, UK.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Called 4 local Books-A-Million. Looks they aren't stocking anything worthwhile for the Buy 1 Get 1 Half Off sale. Darn.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Magnetic North posted:

Woo James Ernest . If you really liked Kill Doctor Lucky, have you looked at Get Lucky? It's a card game version of KDL but simplified and lightened up.

Thanks for the write-up! I ordered the game immediately after reading your post.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

what the gently caress

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Explain to those of us who have no idea what this is? Guessing this is some sort of classic game I've never heard of because because i am some ignorant peasant.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's the theme of the whole OP and one of the best games Reiner Knizia has ever made.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's an FFG reprint of Tigris & Euphrates, one of my favourite games, the theme of the banners in this iteration of the thread and also completely unlike any other game that FFG has ever printed, since it's an abstract tile-laying game/euro.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Pretty excited to see this one getting a reprint. I've never been able to pick up a copy.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
FFG printed Through the Desert and Ingenious, Tekopo. Come on!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
FFG is definitely on the Kinzia team with Blue Moon legends (how is that?) and Age of war as well.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

It would tickle me if they made all the pieces solid-colored plastic miniatures of bull-men and pot-people, and found a way to stick some dials on the board as score trackers.

But I hope they don't because I might actually want to own T&E some day.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Impermanent posted:

Pretty excited to see this one getting a reprint. I've never been able to pick up a copy.

There is an iOS port, in case anyone wants to try it for a low price. Interface is pretty good on an iPad, cramped on a phone.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tekopo posted:

One thing about Space Alert that you need to be careful if your group is used to playing other (lesser :smug:) co-ops: you will probably need to tell people that they need to be pro-active within the game and not wait for instructions, since there isn't time (especially to crank up the difficulty) for people to tell other people what to do. This can be quite difficult for players that are used to a lot of quarterbacking and I've seen people do nothing at all because people didn't directly what to do. Usually to get people of their shell I do stuff like saying 'okay I need to fire the cannon at time X while someone fires the secondary gun, who can do it?'.
Thanks; I'd briefly forgotten this, and was once again on the verge of buying it. 90% of the time when I play games, they're two-player only. The few times I get more than two people around, one of my regular gaming friends will not make a decision in any co-op. Like, when it's their turn on Pandemic, there's a city next to them with three cubes of virus, and there's no other actions, they sit and say "oh hey guys what should I do."

I need to keep a post-it above my computer that says "close that shopping cart and find a group that already owns Space Alert, you'll never get to try it out any other way."

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I hope the OP gets an updated theme based on FFG's new art. It would be a shame for the new thread to be immediately dated :)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
By the time the FFG reprint comes out we'll already be on our next thread, which will have an Ugg-Tect theme.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Whoever does the next thread better do a Filthy Rich theme, so that game gets reprinted :colbert:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Broken Loose posted:

Falling is actually from 1998. :words: Falling 2014 which is the only edition that had rule changes.

Thanks for the tip about Falling 2014. I bought Falling way back from the original printing and while I liked it we really only wound up playing a few times. I always liked the idea though and am very interested to hear about the new release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Fat Samurai posted:

There is an iOS port, in case anyone wants to try it for a low price. Interface is pretty good on an iPad, cramped on a phone.

I've only ever played Tigris & Euphrates on tablet, and while it isn't a bad port like some other games got, but it bored the hell out of me on all my tries. Maybe I would have liked it instead if I was able to play the actual version with someone who liked the game instead of the AI opponents. So I'd be vary of recommending digital versions of boardgames to people as samples. They just aren't the same.