Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Bobnumerotres posted:

the best thing to do is to buy one of the stupid cheap pre-built computers with crazy processors and RAM that no one normal would ever use and slap a video card in it

Best GPU you can stick in a pre-built is a 750Ti, unless you're gonna replace the power supply, and at that point you might as well build the whole thing yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
a good one haha

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Is the 750 Ti still the best card in the "I'm broke as gently caress" range? My 550 just isn't hitting the right spots anymore.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

the 760 isn't much more expensive and is a bit more powerful but yeah basically. overclock it if you get it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
if you're lucky this will still be able to run new releases on max setting in 2 years
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XQ8cNG

loving lovely devs making lovely ports

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

for like $400 and some change you can build a really powerful gaming PC right now. Or you could buy a prebuilt that can just about render the Facebook front page.

Yeah this is what I did, built it 3 years ago and runs current releases fine as long as I don't to 32x antialiasing. Or you could spend $1500 to have Alienware give you the same thing. Up to you.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

SunAndSpring posted:

just buy all the parts and make some schmuck at Best Buy build it for you if you're too much of a busta to make your own PC.

I'll do it for him if he pays me. You'd trust a goon before Best Buy knuckledraggers, wouldn't you?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

the 760 isn't much more expensive and is a bit more powerful but yeah basically. overclock it if you get it

how do you overclock vidya cards anyway

can i overclock my gtx 760 and get something more out of it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Probably the hardest part of putting your own pc together from parts is not putting too much paste on your cpu for the heatsink. Don't want that poo poo jizzing out all over everything. Everything else is just putting the thing in the slot where it fits and if you really think you're too dumb to buy parts that will work together the build it on pcpartpicker.com cause it has the option to hide incompatible parts from the list.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

how do you overclock vidya cards anyway

can i overclock my gtx 760 and get something more out of it

download MSI afterburner then check out the overclocking thread on the computer forum here.

its really easy and literally like ticking some boxes. It doesn't do a lot but my 760 went from High Everything and 50ishFPS in Shadow Of Mordor to Ultra everything and a 50ishFPS with a really really basic overclock. you can do more but i didn't bother.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I was running a Radeon 4850 a few months back with an i5 750. Basically what that meant was every game had to be on low-medium settings for about 30-40 fps. I'm still using the 750 but upgraded the gpu to a GTX 760, and can run most stuff on high now.

Games seem to be a lot more taxing on GPUs than CPUs nowadays. Unless they're unoptimized poo poo by idiot developers.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Building a gaming pc is piss easy, it's basically really expensive Lego. Get an i5 Core processor and a Radeon HD7850 (which is what I'm using) or a GTX760 or higher and you'll be all set.

Supposedly newer games are going to require GPUs with more VRAM so getting a GPU with 4GB VRAM might be a good idea, but I might be wrong as I'm no PC expert.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Picked up an open box 980 at Fry's and it's light years ahead of the 7870 I've been using for gaming. :toot:

I don't know if I'd pay full price for what they're asking for those things right now, though. If I weren't upgrading from an ancient card to this I probably would have grabbed a 780.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Cyra posted:

I knew absolutely nothing about building a computer and I was still able to. There's literally videos showing you how to do it, you can't screw it up.
Static electricity. And sometimes processors and their fans are a pain to get in.

That's still not too hard to get around though. Just remember to touch the case, and don't snap your motherboard in half.

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm getting a GTX 970. I think that'll last me for about 5 years or so.
It's great. I got one and now my pc is practically silent and also a lot cooler. It performs much better than my 670 while simultaneously being cooler and using less power.

Starhawk64 posted:

Supposedly newer games are going to require GPUs with more VRAM so getting a GPU with 4GB VRAM might be a good idea, but I might be wrong as I'm no PC expert.
Depends on what you play really. I doubt it will be a hard requirement anytime in the next few years, but it does help even today to get better fps at higher resolutions or texture qualities based on charts I've seen.

Dec 26, 2012

just buy and use an anti-static bracelet if youre worried about that. radio shack sells them for like 10 and you can probably get them online for cheaper

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

01011001 posted:

just buy and use an anti-static bracelet if youre worried about that. radio shack sells them for like 10 and you can probably get them online for cheaper
I'm a risk taker that puts that money into buying better video cards.

Or in the latest instance half my case fans because they stopped working.

New ones are so drat silent it owns.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I can't play like half the games I have on Steam because I can't afford a gaming PC. How can I get the money for one?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sell steam cards

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i ended up ordering a dell XPS 8700 w/an i7, 8gb of RAM and a gtx 745 4gb. it only has 12gb of RAM but that should be enough for awhile until i add another 4gb for longevity

pretty stoked about not having to deal with lovely load times in source games and GTA V. i sorta wanna find a game that will look really good w/high system requirements but i don't own any on account ofmy old machine being lovely, anyone have any reccomendations for something really pretty? i was looking at shadows of mordor but it looks really lame

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Fandyien posted:

i ended up ordering a dell XPS 8700 w/an i7, 8gb of RAM and a gtx 745 4gb. it only has 12gb of RAM but that should be enough for awhile until i add another 4gb for longevity

pretty stoked about not having to deal with lovely load times in source games and GTA V. i sorta wanna find a game that will look really good w/high system requirements but i don't own any on account ofmy old machine being lovely, anyone have any reccomendations for something really pretty? i was looking at shadows of mordor but it looks really lame

:eyepop:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i mistyped the ram thing there, i was thinking eight cus thats what my current machine has or whatever. hopefully im looking at a substantial upgrade from my intel core 2 duo

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Fandyien posted:

i mistyped the ram thing there, i was thinking eight cus thats what my current machine has or whatever. hopefully im looking at a substantial upgrade from my intel core 2 duo

How much did you spend

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i need 2 buy a case (i just ripped the front of mine off accidentally!!!!1111111) and im thinking about water cooling. thoughts?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i need 2 buy a case (i just ripped the front of mine off accidentally!!!!1111111) and im thinking about water cooling. thoughts?

Not worth the money. Buy a Hyper 212+ Evo air cooler and be set 4 life.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

THE PENETRATOR posted:

sounds like a sweet airflow improvement mod tbh

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

How much did you spend

it was a gift but it cost around $1350 with a nice monitor

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Hmmm...you could have built something much, much better for something closer to $800 imo, but congrats and I hope you enjoy it and have fun upgrading it in the future.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Cacodad posted:

hm but a 4 star water cooler is like $20 on newegg

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Cacodad posted:

Agreed. I'm overclocking my notoriously hot running i7-4770k with one attached and it works like a charm. Temps never breach 70

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

THE PENETRATOR posted:

hm but a 4 star water cooler is like $20 on newegg

actually i lied

it seems like that heatsink is huge, tho

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Fandyien posted:

it was a gift but it cost around $1350 with a nice monitor

Yeah that was a ripp but if it was a gift that's cool you should try out endless legend and far cry 4

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cyra posted:

Hmmm...you could have built something much, much better for something closer to $800 imo, but congrats and I hope you enjoy it and have fun upgrading it in the future.

yeah, that'd have been pretty rad and i kinda wanted to do that, but it was a graduation + christmas present from my parents and my dad is a big fan of getting something straightforward from a known company with warranties even if it means spending more. luckily he's pretty tech savvy and an early adopter kinda guy himself so he prefers to buy decent computers that'll last awhile instead of best buy poo poo or something. he wasn't down with the two of us trying to build it or me letting a friend do it, thought it was too risky

does anyone know how good the GTX 745 is generally regarded as being? i looked it up compared to the radeon card that is typically packaged in similar computers and it got ever so slightly better reviews. from where im at now though a 4gb graphics card is all :eyepop:

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I recommend one that is both fast and strong with lots of expensive parts and very large numbers, op.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah that was a ripp but if it was a gift that's cool you should try out endless legend and far cry 4

ive had my eyes on endless legend forever but i just want it to drop to like $10-$15

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

gamer, being able to run any game on max settings is the reward for any imp who decides to build their own pc

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Fandyien posted:

ive had my eyes on endless legend forever but i just want it to drop to like $10-$15

Its on sale for p close to that.

Your graphics card kinda stinks. If you can afford it get a 980gtx, if not, get a 760 or something. The latter is like $150 and real good. Make sure your psu can handle it tho

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 25, 2014

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
yeah the 745 is like a $100-125 vid card so pretty weak compared to your cpu

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Its on sale for p close to that.

Your graphics card kinda stinks. If you can afford it get a 980gtx, if not, get a 760 or something. The latter is like $150 and real good. Make sure your psu can handle it tho

yeah the 760 is maybe two years out of date now (three?) but for value for money it can't be beat ever (and poo poo it'll do 60 fps on lots of games anyway)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

a new card will probably be the first thing i invest in then. $150 doesn't sound so bad either, last time I got a new graphics card in like 2011 it was $250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I would personally go for a 970 and just be fucken set. That's some amazing performance for the price.

• Locked thread