Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sony has poo poo computer security They were hacked in February and didn't tell anyone. Plus the time hacker's shut down all of the Playstation's network gaming functions for an entire month. My first thought when the news broke was that it was related to those people who phoned in a bomb threat on that one Sony executive's airplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Baron Bifford posted:

It might be fun to see Spider-Man among the Avengers, but aren't they already a little crowded? It was hard enough balancing five heroes in the first movie.

They're gonna have no less than three new guys in the sequel (Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver) so expect poor Jeremy Renner to get a total of five minutes onscreen I bet :shepface:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'll never watch another Spiderman movie if they replace Andrew Garfield. That guy was great for the role, way better than "I'm-always-frowning-emo-hair" Tobey Maguire. He's really charming, cute, funny, and has a lot of personality.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 15, 2014

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Captain Mog posted:

I'll never watch another Spiderman movie if they replace Andrew Garfield. That guy was great for the role, way better than "I'm-always-frowning-emo-hair" Tobey Maguire. He's really charming, cute, funny, and has a lot of personality.

My movie boyfriend can beat up your movie boyfriend.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

echronorian posted:

DPRK is pissed that Sony is publishing The Interview. Also, if you think North Koreans hate the U.S., you should hear their opinion of the Japanese.

I was stationed in the ROK for a year, I've heard the Korean opinion on the Japanese. And that makes sense, I hadn't thought of that.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
The best thing to come out of this is the confirmation that ultimately, it doesn't matter if you're at a large multinational corporation or running a small chain of grocery shops, managers are still dickheads.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
Apparently Channing Tatum wants to bust some ghosts. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...sters-film.html

The Daily Beast posted:

An email from Tatum to Pascal concerning Ghostbusters dated August 21 says, “Let us show the world The DarkSide and let us fight it with all the glory and epicness of a HUGE BATMAN BEGINS MOVIE. I know we can make this a huge franchise. Fun adventure craziness. COME OONNNN!!!”

He also wants to bring the Russo Brothers and Chris Pratt along with him.

The Daily Beast posted:

“So… in a curious turn of events - the Russos and Channing want to develop Ghostbusters as a vehicle for Channing and Chris Pratt to do together,” wrote Minghella. “The Russos, Channing and Reid have been brainstorming ideas and want to create a whole new mythology that would support multiple movies (the way that Nolan reinvented Batman). To be clear - the Russos want to produce (not direct) and while Channing and Chris are looking for a movie to do together they haven't mentioned this to him yet because they weren't sure how we'd react.”

Snippets go on to explain that they know Feig is in the middle of his film and that execs were spitballing the idea of developing both features at the same time, Feig's Ghostbusters and Whomever's Tatum/Pratt Ghostbusters, as companion films.

Sony exec Amy Pascal summed up the idea best with

Baked as Balls Amy Pascal posted:

"fuckkk"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Holy loving poo poo okay I wasn't really feeling Ghostbusters 3 at first, but the Russos developing it and Chris Pratt and Channing Tatum starring? :gizz:

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Holy loving poo poo okay I wasn't really feeling Ghostbusters 3 at first, but the Russos developing it and Chris Pratt and Channing Tatum starring? :gizz:

think less Ghostbusters 3 and more Ghostbusters: Cincinnati and you've got the right idea. Especially if they're thinking of dual developing-- which, who the gently caress knows. I'm sure this will be getting revisited if Sony looses/relinquishes Spider-Man because its the most viable franchise they've got that no one else really has anything similar. Unless I'm finally getting my long dreamed of Second Sight sequel.

Chris Pratt in a Ray Stantz-type of role though-- pretty fun. Hell, why the gently caress not- Tatum as an Egon-type. I'd watch it. I'd watch anything.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sorvah posted:

The best thing to come out of this is the confirmation that ultimately, it doesn't matter if you're at a large multinational corporation or running a small chain of grocery shops, managers are still dickheads.
I don't think they're any worse than the rest of us, really, even if power amplifies it a little. This incident is Hollywood's version of the Bradley Manning leaks, and that showed that diplomats can be pretty snarky in private too.

Man, I hate this icon.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Aaron Sorkin wrote an op-ed about the leak: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/opinion/aaron-sorkin-journalists-shouldnt-help-the-sony-hackers.html

He is not pleased with the media's response to the attack. I understand where he's coming form, but doesn't he realize how the internet works? This stuff was getting out there one way or another. And we live in a world where clicks = money, so of course the big outlets are going to release it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
This is the best thing to come out of Sony in years. Every layer of this just gets better and better.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I would be down with that, 100%.

I mean, the Feig version, I'm fine with, but something like that would be amazing.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

Aaron Sorkin wrote an op-ed about the leak: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/opinion/aaron-sorkin-journalists-shouldnt-help-the-sony-hackers.html

He is not pleased with the media's response to the attack. I understand where he's coming form, but doesn't he realize how the internet works? This stuff was getting out there one way or another. And we live in a world where clicks = money, so of course the big outlets are going to release it.

He has just finished his dumb tv show about Brave Traditional Media holding superior moral ground to Stupid Degenerate New Media, of course he doesn't.

quote:

We create movie moments. Wouldn’t it be a movie moment if the other studios invoked the NATO rule and denounced the attack on Sony as an attack on all of us, and our bedrock belief in free expression? If the Writers Guild and Directors Guild stood by their members? If the Motion Picture Association of America, which represents the movie industry in Washington, knocked on the door of Congress and said we’re in the middle of an ongoing attack on one of America’s largest exports? We’re coming to the end of the first reel; it’s time to introduce our heroes.

Go burn all together then.
It sucks that ordinary Sony employees got their personal data, including SSN and bank details, leaked in one batch with the dumb powerpoints, but overall this shitshow is valuable for confirming how petty and awful people driving this industry are. Of course, most people interested in the topic knew this, but let us have our few weeks of laughs at millionaires (who are still going to be millionaires even if Sony axes its movie division).

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

quote:

Aaron Sorkin

quote:

but doesn't he realize how the internet works?

The answer to this is, always has been, and always will be "not even a little bit." Sorkin's love/hate/hate/hate/hate/hate relationship with the Internet is pretty well documented.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

fatherboxx posted:

He has just finished his dumb tv show about Brave Traditional Media holding superior moral ground to Stupid Degenerate New Media, of course he doesn't.

Go burn all together then.
It sucks that ordinary Sony employees got their personal data, including SSN and bank details, leaked in one batch with the dumb powerpoints, but overall this shitshow is valuable for confirming how petty and awful people driving this industry are. Of course, most people interested in the topic knew this, but let us have our few weeks of laughs at millionaires (who are still going to be millionaires even if Sony axes its movie division).

Of course while Sorkin has been championing the MPAA coming in to save the day, they've apparently been trying to take down loving Google (which we now know about thanks to the leaks). Yeah, sorry Mr. Sorkin, but those guys are not the 'heroes'. You're the guy who made the West Wing, do you really want to be the guy cheerleading political corruption?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, sorry Mr. Sorkin, but those guys are not the 'heroes'. You're the guy who made the West Wing, do you really want to be the guy cheerleading political corruption?

Don't kid yourself into thinking that both sides aren't incredibly corrupt and that Sorkin wrote about an idealistic President who goes against his party and his advisers to do "what's right" for any other reason than ratings.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Mash posted:

Jesus loving Christ. :stare:

We're all watching Sony slowly bleed to death, aren't we?

It hasn't been a very good year for them, especially considering that their mobile division was supposed to show strong growth. Instead, they had a $2 billion write down in their mobile division after getting squeezed out by Samsung/Apple on the high end and Chinese manufactures on the low end. It's essentially conceding the possibility of them ever becoming a major force in what is a fast-growing and strategically important consumer electronics industry. It doesn't look good when other Japanese Consumer Electronics, even Sharp, are showing signs of recovery.

Furthermore, they also cancelled their divendeds to shareholders which has never been done before in the history of the company. So it looked like they were heading towards a cash crunch instead of the promised turnabout. Now, Sony Pictures has had a very public and humiliating leak of private documents by hackers. Chances are that Sony's Pictures will be able to produce and finance movies since this is Hollywood and their business partners already know their issues. However, many employees are most likely unhappy with with how the leak occurred, have had their trust in the company broken, and will probably have a hard time coming back to work in such in what is a awkward environment.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sony has been hemorrhaging money from a lot of its entertainment divisions since consumer electronics like TVs are now a race to the bottom and their attempt to break into the smart phone market has been a huge failure.

The Playstation division has been carrying it for awhile, which is the exact opposite of what Microsoft is going through with Xbox being a black hole of money and resources.

Even with the success of the PS4, Sony Computer Entertainment doesn't have very good operating income. It has lost $3.5 billion over the last ten years and an extremely good year amounts to about $300 million in profit. There's so much overhead and operating expenses involved in in supporting gaming consoles.

Sony's financial services has been real MVP of the company for the past decade through its consistently high operating income. Its head, Katsumi Ihara, has basically kept the company afloat when the gaming, TV, and laptop divisions were bleeding money. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes CEO one day, especially with CEO's Kaz Hirai's turnabout not happening.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
So they call Google Goliath in all these messages because keyword filters and paranoia Google is monitoring their Gmail accounts, correct? lol

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The problem I have is that lack of humility posed by modern entertainment executives. Sony was a making film about assassinating a real and living threat and what did Sorkin think was going to happen? Not only that, but now entertainment providers are ridiculing themselves by exploiting the Sony leak. Sony and Sorkin aren't off limits. Hollywood doesn't get to escape criticism and it is very interesting seeing how these guys respond to having their flaws exposed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You do the most Hollywood thing about all of this now. Turn it all into a movie. I suggest Daniel Day Lewis play Tatum and Alison Brie the Sony Exec.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

temple posted:

The problem I have is that lack of humility posed by modern entertainment executives. Sony was a making film about assassinating a real and living threat and what did Sorkin think was going to happen?
gently caress Kim Jong-Un. He deserves every bit of insolence that can be directed at him.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Gatts posted:

You do the most Hollywood thing about all of this now. Turn it all into a movie. I suggest Daniel Day Lewis play Tatum and Alison Brie the Sony Exec.

Seriously this

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Sunning posted:

Even with the success of the PS4, Sony Computer Entertainment doesn't have very good operating income. It has lost $3.5 billion over the last ten years and an extremely good year amounts to about $300 million in profit. There's so much overhead and operating expenses involved in in supporting gaming consoles.

If SCE has lost that much money over the last 10 years, what's the point of even continuing to release new game consoles? Or is there something I'm missing here?

This is off topic, but it'll be interesting to see what home consoles look like in ten years. This generation is already outclassed by mid-range PCs and exclusives are becoming less and less common.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 15, 2014

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

If SCE has lost that much money over the last 10 years, what's the point of even continuing to release new game consoles? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Because the video game market is still a huge billion dollar industry...right?
We still have a few years left.
Yeah, we've got a new console already lined up for a 2017 release.
A-and it's going to have a lot of exclusives and great games. Call of Duty still does well, right? We already have 6 new sequels planned till 2017.
D-don't worry, guys. I-it'll all be okay. Look, I talked with Nintendo about letting us produce a Mario movie and they didn't laugh at us that hard. I'm sure they'll consider it.
J-just...trust me, okay? Everything will be fine if we just get another video game console out there.
So just hang on, guys? The bubble hasn't burst yet. We're still on top.
We just......need.....one....more.....console.....

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Consoles are the epitome of

1. First step
2. ???
3. Profit

I think they're all expecting each other to fail and when they're the only option it will finally pay off. In theory.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah something like that. It's an omni entertainment box cold war thin or space race. As a tech company gotta have and position a device to be the center of entertainment in the house hold or will get chumped and won't be able to enter the market. Or something like that.

Like why would Microsoft make hardware and tablets? They're a software company that is crap at hardware like tablets as far as I knew like a year ago. But they see Android and Apple OS on tablets so gotta make one to compete and stay on top.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Gatts posted:

Yeah something like that. It's an omni entertainment box cold war thin or space race. As a tech company gotta have and position a device to be the center of entertainment in the house hold or will get chumped and won't be able to enter the market. Or something like that.

Like why would Microsoft make hardware and tablets? They're a software company that is crap at hardware like tablets as far as I knew like a year ago. But they see Android and Apple OS on tablets so gotta make one to compete and stay on top.

Sony did the same thing, essentially. They saw Samsung dominating with cell phones and thought they could step in. Thing is, Sony at least has divisions to manufacture this stuff, pretty sure when Microsoft makes cell phones none of it is manufactured 'in house', so it's probably astronomically expensive.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sunning posted:

It hasn't been a very good year for them, especially considering that their mobile division was supposed to show strong growth. Instead, they had a $2 billion write down in their mobile division after getting squeezed out by Samsung/Apple on the high end and Chinese manufactures on the low end. It's essentially conceding the possibility of them ever becoming a major force in what is a fast-growing and strategically important consumer electronics industry. It doesn't look good when other Japanese Consumer Electronics, even Sharp, are showing signs of recovery.

Well, Samsung is headed down the same road, being unable to compete with Apple at the high end and with China at the low end, and Sony is headed in the right direction with the Xperia Z3, which I'm assuming released too late to save the fiscal year. Sony at least has demonstrated an ability to adapt and survive with Playstation, so I don't think they're going bankrupt.

But yeah the basic problem is there's just not much profit in the consumer electronics market in general. The money at this point is in software, with Google and Apple, and Asian countries can't compete due to English language dominance in the software industry, along with their lovely rote memorization focused education systems

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 15, 2014

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

This is off topic, but it'll be interesting to see what home consoles look like in ten years. This generation is already outclassed by mid-range PCs and exclusives are becoming less and less common.

Sony believed there was strategic value in having a set-top box in the living room. The Playstation would be the perfect platform for it by acting as a convergence device for all media/entertainment needs. If they dominated the living room through the Playstation, that success would synergize with the rest of their entertainment and consumer electronics divisions.

As it turns out, the living room top-box set is not where technological convergence has occurred. It's through mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. That's where Google and Apple built their mobile empires. That's where Sony had a $2 billion write down of their mobile division because they were so late in competing with the big players. More and more people are watching movies, playing games, and reading books on mobile devices. This growth has come at the expense of TVs and other living room electronic devices. In a few generations, we'll have people growing in an environment where mobile devices have been their sole source of entertainment.

Why is Sony continuing to support the Playstation after it lost so much money and, more importantly, strategic value over the previous console generation? Well, the Playstation is still making some profit among divisions that are losing significant amounts of money. It might be under more scrutiny if other divisions weren't bleeding so much money. In management, there a lot of inertia towards terminating failing businesses or products that have minimal strategic value because they have been historical brands for the company. It's why Sony's TV division was only now past off now after accumulating $9 billion in losses. Sony is also investing streaming and network services since the end game for the Playstation brand is to transform it from a game machine into an entertainment service that works with multiple devices.

CEO Kaz Hirai's strategy was to transform Sony from a consumer electronics company into more of an entertainment and service company. However, the results have been very poor. There seems to be a lot of inertia in management towards getting rid of historic divisions which are severely underperforming and reinvesting those resources in high growth markets outside of Sony's core competency.

icantfindaname posted:

Well, Samsung is headed down the same road, being unable to compete with Apple at the high end and with China at the low end, and Sony is headed in the right direction with the Xperia Z3, which I'm assuming released too late to save the fiscal year. Sony at least has demonstrated an ability to adapt and survive with Playstation, so I don't think they're going bankrupt.

But yeah the basic problem is there's just not much profit in the consumer electronics market in general. The money at this point is in software, with Google and Apple, and Asian countries can't compete due to English language dominance in the software industry, along with their lovely rote memorization focused education systems

It's possible if you have a low cost base and can work the margins. However, that's a tall order for Japanese consumer electronic companies. In particular, Sony has tried to compete across the spectrum with over 30 phones but their brand and market positioning has come across as very inconsistent. Their operating costs are too high to compete in anything that isn't high-margin.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

echronorian posted:

Consoles are the epitome of

1. First step
2. ???
3. Profit

I think they're all expecting each other to fail and when they're the only option it will finally pay off. In theory.

Consoles seem like a crazy way to try to make money. Sony lost money on every PS2 (RAMBUS lol) and PS3 (Cell lol) sold--at least early on in their respective generations. I have no idea what the margins are like on PS4 hardware, but the launch itself cost Sony a ton of money so I can't imagine they're making any money on hardware.

Nintendo caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii. They were able to sell obsolete hardware at a profit, and they got enough people to buy it through their strong IPs and just enough innovation. It looks like the Wii U is tanking in a big way, though. And I can't imagine that portable consoles will do well forever, now that everyone has a smart phone in their pocket.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 15, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I find it amusing that the DPRK could be as fed up with Adam Sandler movies as we are.

To be fair, Sony's also just as fed up with Adam Sandler movies, somebody dug up these from their emails:

quote:

Be more focussed and ruthless in directing our resources to businesses that will sustain the long term health of SPE - networks, broadcast TV shows, new movie franchises, digital distibution By the same token, stop or reduce support for areas that have no more value (Sandler movies, DVD)

quote:

There is a general "blah-ness" to the films we produce. Althought we manage to produce an innovative film once in awhile, Social Network, Moneyball, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, we continue to be saddled with the mundane, formulaic Adam Sandler films. Let's raise the bar a little on the films we produce, and inspire employees that they are working on the next Social Network. That said, there's a strange dichotomy of encouraging us to be fiscally responsible, but then upper management allows certain talent and filmmakers to bleed us dry with their outlandish requests for private jets, wardrobe and grooming stylists - and are surprised when they are asked to work more than 5 hours to promote their film.

quote:

In TV and Theatrical, I hope management looks closely at the money spent on development and term deals to ensure efficiency. There are a lot of term deal personnel as well as creative personnel, yet we only release a dozen or so Columbia Pictures a year, for example. And will we still be paying for Adam Sandler? Why?

quote:

It is commenable that SPE understands/supports the importance of risk-taking, particularly in how the we pick films to greenlight. However, the studio needs to change deal structure that has been in place with Happy Madison, as this arrangement has disproportionately benefitted Adam Sandler and his team, relative to SPE.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Want a glimpse of the future of Sony films?

Real winners, these.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's like they ran their catalogue through a movie plot synopsis generator and this is what it spewed out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
In The Deep could be good but isn't that like the fourth 'stranded at sea in dire straights' movie at that point and like 10 years late to the party?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I dare you to come up with a worse, more generic horror movie title than "The Bringing".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yoshifan823 posted:

I dare you to come up with a worse, more generic horror movie title than "The Bringing".

The Scary Place

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

In The Deep could be good but isn't that like the fourth 'stranded at sea in dire straights' movie at that point and like 10 years late to the party?

It's basically Touching the Void.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The Scary Place

The difference between this and The Bringing is I'd probably see this movie. Unless it starred a Wayans brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The Scary Place

I would see a movie with that title though.

• Locked thread