Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Skwirl posted:

I agree that it's a dumb move, but they aren't doing it because they think any buildings will blow up if they show "The Interview," They're doing it because they think people won't go to the theater because those people think the theater will blow up.

After 9/11 the Washington State ferry system was briefly shut down, because after crashing airplanes into the world trade center and the pentagon, obviously your next target is a ferry on the opposite coast transporting people from Seattle to one of several destinations that no one who doesn't live in Washington State has ever heard of.

gently caress them; take the loss and put the movie out anyway. The loss will be considerably smaller than the loss from not releasing the movie at all, particularly considering the reputation effect of "giving in to terrorist demands".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Reminds me of that one South Park episode that Comedy Central censored that was explicitly about why you shouldn't censor something out of a fear of terrorism.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Raxivace posted:

Reminds me of that one South Park episode that Comedy Central censored that was explicitly about why you shouldn't censor something out of a fear of terrorism.

The best speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3nKBR2mIU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ooooh, that's a good one, but I was thinking of the Family Guy episode.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I'm torn between 4chan assholes exploiting the fact that Sony has lovely internet security for the gently caress of it (possibly related to some gamersgate thing, how many months ago was a bomb threat phoned in on a Sony executive's plane) , and North Korea paying money to those same people to do it anyways.

The Sony bomb threat wasn't related to Gamergate, it was just some pissed-off console warrior.

The hacking group was almost certainly DPRK-related, unless someone is pulling the most unnecessary and elaborate framing job ever. The question is whether the group is within the North Korean government, working with them, or just a group of people who are super-patriots.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

gently caress them; take the loss and put the movie out anyway. The loss will be considerably smaller than the loss from not releasing the movie at all, particularly considering the reputation effect of "giving in to terrorist demands".

The reputation loss that a group would get from "giving in to terrorist demands" is significantly less than you would imagine it to be.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Skwirl posted:

one of several destinations that no one who doesn't live in Washington State has ever heard of.

Port Angeles, nooooooooooo!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LloydDobler posted:

Port Angeles, nooooooooooo!

Clearly Al Qaeda's list of high priority targets is New York, Washington DC, LA, Vashon Island.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Maybe it was Sony's plan all along to have North Korea threaten this movie, and make billions of dollars from patriotic Americans doing their civic duty not to let some commie blackmail them into staying away from the movie theater.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

echronorian posted:

Man, the ARG for The Interview is intense

This is probably the funniest thing anyone has said anywhere about this whole thing so far.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually it's this.

[quote="Channing Tatum" post="""]
YOU TED !!!! SECOND OF ALLLL TIMMMMME BEEEOTCH!!!! COME ON JUMPSTREETERS WE GOT CATE BLANCHETT WIT DIS BOX OFFICE BITCHES!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
[/quote]

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Actually it's this.

Yeah this actually is the best.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Homeland security have said they're fine. They should've just gone through with the Premiere. Also, they've already had a Premiere in LA and nothing happened. The terrorists were late.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CelticPredator posted:

Actually it's this.

This leak is definitely making me like Tatum more. Dude seems pretty okay.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Actually it's this.

Even though it's annoying, it loses something without the 20+ pages of HAHAHAAHAHAHHA copypasted.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Isn't most of that from salaries, though? From what I've heard Adam Sandler takes (very) good care of his friends.
Yeah but that's no consolation for the Sony executives who pay for the whole thing. If Sandler's movies are artificially expensive to produce, and Sony's return is minimal, it only takes one bomb to basically wipe away all the profits they've earned from producing Sandler movies for over a decade, while Sandler and his buddies aren't financially affected at all.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Yeah but that's no consolation for the Sony executives who pay for the whole thing. If Sandler's movies are artificially expensive to produce, and Sony's return is minimal, it only takes one bomb to basically wipe away all the profits they've earned from producing Sandler movies for over a decade, while Sandler and his buddies aren't financially affected at all.

He basically admits that he does stuff like 50 First Dates and Blended so that he'll be paid for a vacation. Sony cover everything so that Sandler and his family/friends can spend weeks living the life of luxury, despite the fact that he's incredibly rich. It would be interesting to take a Happy Madison production and see how much basically goes to Sandler and his friends.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Red Letter Media's Jack and Jill review mentioned that Sandler's combined standard writing and acting fees are like $50 million. So his friends are presumably left to divide the remaining ~$30 million between themselves. Oh and the cost of actual production goes in there too I guess, but that can't be more than a few million dollars.

edit: I guess this is also as good a place as any to mention The Worst Idea of All Time, a podcast in which 2 comedians watch Grown-Ups 2 every week for a year and discuss how their experiences of the movie change after each viewing. It's great.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 17, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well that does it, Christmas is loving cancelled.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
As if Kim jung un wasn't enough of an awful little poo poo in every possible way, he has to have a hate boner for Pineapple Express 2, a movie he hasn't even seen! !!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That's the end of my irritating white guy reaction to the situation thank you

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Dear Amy Pascal
I'm in love with your
writing style
It's like haiku
But not

You stole my heart and my cat.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cacator posted:

Dumb move on Sony's part, it's getting so much free publicity out of this, and you know that the hackers can't really do anything like that anyways.
Actually, New York is full of gas mains ready to be blown up by hackers.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
I'm gonna feel like I'm in an episode of South Park if the world goes to war because of Seth Rogen & James Franco.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Dystram posted:

lol what a stupid lovely company

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cacator posted:

True. It's more fun to think that North Korea did it though.

Dumb move on Sony's part, it's getting so much free publicity out of this, and you know that the hackers can't really do anything like that anyways.

Haven't you seen Live Free or Die Hard!?

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

This is probably the funniest thing anyone has said anywhere about this whole thing so far.

Yeah it's not like that's a well-established goon meme that's been said about everything ever at this point

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah it's not like that's a well-established goon meme that's been said about everything ever at this point

Don't be mad, baby

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The country's five biggest theater chains are refusing to show The Interview.

To be honest, all of this poo poo just makes me want to buy tickets and watch that film out of pure spite. Shame it probably won't be playing in a theater near me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This entire thing is crazy. A movie studio being held hostage by North Korea.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

This entire thing is crazy. A movie studio being held hostage by North Korea.

Has North Korea actually made any official statements lately about all of this?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

To be honest, all of this poo poo just makes me want to buy tickets and watch that film out of pure spite. Shame it probably won't be playing in a theater near me.

The liability of 120 people dead in a theater because of the showing is scaring companies away. I dont think that will actually happen mind you but with lawyers there is no reason to risk that liability.

Never in my life would I think north korea would end up with my ss number and personal information. I havent worked at sony in 2 years but apparently they got everyone going back 15 years (rumor mill).

sony is a great campus to work on as a creative. Great food options, easy parking and good tools to work with. Peoples work computers were wiped clean. I cant even imagine what it would be like to lose months of work. I think Sony is big enough to weather this but there will be some big changes.

As for all of the emails and things - we all say stuff in private that we wouldnt want aired to 7 billion people and people working closely are going to discuss things frankly and to the point.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jst0rm posted:

The liability of 120 people dead in a theater because of the showing is scaring companies away. I dont think that will actually happen mind you but with lawyers there is no reason to risk that liability.

Never in my life would I think north korea would end up with my ss number and personal information. I havent worked at sony in 2 years but apparently they got everyone going back 15 years (rumor mill).

sony is a great campus to work on as a creative. Great food options, easy parking and good tools to work with. Peoples work computers were wiped clean. I cant even imagine what it would be like to lose months of work. I think Sony is big enough to weather this but there will be some big changes.

As for all of the emails and things - we all say stuff in private that we wouldnt want aired to 7 billion people and people working closely are going to discuss things frankly and to the point.

Maybe you shouldn't be racist dawg

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

HorseRenoir posted:

Sony should just release it direct to premium VOD. (Ironically, that'd set a precedent whose long-term implications could be far more damaging to theaters' business model than any terrorist threat.)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FoneBone posted:

Sony should just release it direct to premium VOD. (Ironically, that'd set a precedent whose long-term implications could be far more damaging to theaters' business model than any terrorist threat.)

I said the same exact thing to a co-worker earlier. Sony's hosed wrt this movie.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Len posted:

This leak is definitely making me like Tatum more. Dude seems pretty okay.

Yeah, I decided the same after his incredibly self-deprecating cameo in This is the End, this only adds to it. The guy is definitely awesome.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Jst0rm posted:

sony is a great campus to work on as a creative. Great food options, easy parking and good tools to work with.

golly!! i can't wait to work for sony!!!!

ps nice double spaces, dinosaur

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Jst0rm posted:

sony is a great campus to work on as a creative. Great food options, easy parking and good tools to work with.

Well they certainly sound like tools from their emails.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HorseRenoir posted:

Seriously I don't like Seth Rogan at all and would never watch this movie otherwise. But I really want to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Well they certainly sound like tools from their emails.

A lot of times people in those positions ARE tools. They have to make hard choices and I would personally be nervous about investing 300 million into a movie (this is probably 150 million for production and 150 million for marketing). You need a hard rear end to be in a position to say yes or no on 300 million spent. Hopefully we dont end up in a place where we wont make something because it makes north korea mad. I have emails back and forth with people that if they came out would be kinda weird. I have been on the stage after 14 hoursx7 straight days and cracking "non-professional" jokes with the directors and producers because we are all loopy from working so long. We make movies we arent saints. This industry probably attracts the most twisted people on the planet. lol.

• Locked thread