Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm going to laugh so hard when this all blows over and it ends up being revealed that the hackers were just a half-dozen pudgy white dudes who only pulled off the hack because some IT guy left his password on a post-it near a window and the theaters were never in any danger. and then I'll start drinking heavily when the government users this as another excuse to curtail information sharing on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

computer parts posted:

Has North Korea actually made any official statements lately about all of this?
They're tacitly supporting these hackers but still not officially saying that they are responsible, even though they are the only ones who would gain here

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jst0rm posted:

sony is a great campus to work on as a creative. Great food options, easy parking and good tools to work with. Peoples work computers were wiped clean. I cant even imagine what it would be like to lose months of work. I think Sony is big enough to weather this but there will be some big changes.

Acqaintance of mine did some production work at Sony and Disney. According to him:

At Sony, security was always lax. It made things convenient for him because he could get online whenever he wanted, but he was always scared something like this would happen some day.

At Disney production offices, absolutely no wifi is allowed anywhere. They even have wifi detectors, so if you open your laptop and it starts searching for a wifi network an alarm goes off and a security guard shows up to make you turn off your wifi. All internet connections have to be physical lines. All work is done on external hard drives, and if you are going home for the day a security guard takes the drives off your computer and puts them in a locker. Even if you're going to lunch the work drives have to be put into the locker. It sounds like a lot of work but he says that they're well rehearsed in it now, so it ends up adding about a minute each day.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jst0rm posted:

As for all of the emails and things - we all say stuff in private that we wouldnt want aired to 7 billion people and people working closely are going to discuss things frankly and to the point.

No, we all don't. I don't put anything in email that would look bad in a deposition. Organized crime knew this decades ago, companies (who refuse to invest in security or take it seriously) thought they were above it by dint of money or perceived strength. They are not and never were.

I can't believe you would defend the "benefits" after it's been revealed you were managed by idiots.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Acqaintance of mine did some production work at Sony and Disney. According to him:

At Sony, security was always lax. It made things convenient for him because he could get online whenever he wanted, but he was always scared something like this would happen some day.

At Disney production offices, absolutely no wifi is allowed anywhere. They even have wifi detectors, so if you open your laptop and it starts searching for a wifi network an alarm goes off and a security guard shows up to make you turn off your wifi. All internet connections have to be physical lines. All work is done on external hard drives, and if you are going home for the day a security guard takes the drives off your computer and puts them in a locker. Even if you're going to lunch the work drives have to be put into the locker. It sounds like a lot of work but he says that they're well rehearsed in it now, so it ends up adding about a minute each day.

Well I need internet access. Sony's big problem was the workstations were able to see each other and do file sharing between themselves. If they had blocked this one thing they would probably of not had such a bad problem.

ninja edit:

I never worked at Disney but I assume the production offices are not the same as the entire studio. You need some network-able computers. Now the best way I have seen is secure access from each workstation with filesharing off between them. You can kill the internet on the work computers but I access the internet a lot during the day for my work (research and what not). So for me I would need a separate wifi network. also Im not sure how that would stop someone hell bent on sharing as they could use the phone.

It really comes down to people not leaking and having a good idea where the leaks come from if they do (watermarks). something like a 3rd world country hell bent on hacking you could possibly do a lot of damage to any of the studios but I will tell you the lesson only needs to be taught 1 time ;)

Jst0rm fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 17, 2014

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Enderzero posted:

No, we all don't. I don't put anything in email that would look bad in a deposition. Organized crime knew this decades ago, companies (who refuse to invest in security or take it seriously) thought they were above it by dint of money or perceived strength. They are not and never were.

I can't believe you would defend the "benefits" after it's been revealed you were managed by idiots.

Im just being honest. I say things in private I wouldnt say in public. I never worked in organized crime and I dont feel like I should have to filter things I type in private. Now should the head of a studio do that? Yeah sure but thousands of emails go back and forth. That Chatum Tanning email? Thats pretty normal I would say. You get a lot of that in this industry. People being short and frank and cursing in emails is pretty standard stuff. Cracking un-pc jokes is pretty standard stuff. Look at the content being made. Does this look like the stuff made by people with the highest moral grounds? Some if it yes. But a lot of it no. When working with creatives you aren't hiring them based on their ability to act corporate and make slide shows.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're tacitly supporting these hackers but still not officially saying that they are responsible, even though they are the only ones who would gain here

North Korea isn't the only one with something to gain. This was an extortion scheme and there's been plenty of that going around with hacking in recent years. "Give us $10 million or we'll release your e-mails!" is a lot of motive for anyone. And now that they didn't get what they wanted and released the e-mails, it doesn't hurt the hackers to play into the "NK did it!" narrative (assuming it was the same people who made the thread that did the hack, of course).

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

North Korea isn't the only one with something to gain. This was an extortion scheme and there's been plenty of that going around with hacking in recent years. "Give us $10 million or we'll release your e-mails!" is a lot of motive for anyone. And now that they didn't get what they wanted and released the e-mails, it doesn't hurt the hackers to play into the "NK did it!" narrative (assuming it was the same people who made the thread that did the hack, of course).

Did they try to get 10 million from sony? I hadnt heard that before.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

sony has officially surrendered to the terrorists

The Associated Press ‏@AP 2m2 minutes ago
BREAKING: Sony Pictures cancels Dec. 25 release of 'The Interview'

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jst0rm posted:

Im just being honest. I say things in private I wouldnt say in public. I never worked in organized crime and I dont feel like I should have to filter things I type in private. Now should the head of a studio do that? Yeah sure but thousands of emails go back and forth. That Chatum Tanning email? Thats pretty normal I would say. You get a lot of that in this industry. People being short and frank and cursing in emails is pretty standard stuff. Cracking un-pc jokes is pretty standard stuff. Look at the content being made. Does this look like the stuff made by people with the highest moral grounds? Some if it yes. But a lot of it no. When working with creatives you aren't hiring them based on their ability to act corporate and make slide shows.

I don't care about cursing or "Chatum Tanning" emails, but you should probably think about why you believe things you wouldn't admit to in public. It has nothing to do with PC and everything to do with not being a duplicitous person. If you have the awareness not to say something you could probably take the next step and examine why you believe it in the first place. That kind of public/private split is why you have things like that shithead abusive racist executive.

Hahah Obama's black he must like black movies. Hey it's a tough industry jeez why's everything so PC nowadays it's pretty standard

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
http://badassdigest.com/2014/12/17/major-theater-chains-drop-the-interview-in-wake-of-hacker-threats/

I think Faraci brings up a great point about VOD here:

quote:

It's possible that Sony could opt to release The Interview on VOD, playing to the increased public curiosity about the movie. If they do that they've moved the line in the sand when it comes to VOD windows; theater owners have been battling to keep the studios from going day-and-date with their big releases, but if theaters aren't willing to support the big releases why shouldn't the studios go to VOD? They can charge a premium price and create a real cultural moment in the process.

A couple of years ago Universal tried to do a day-and-date VOD test with Tower Heist and the theaters rebelled against it. The studio shut down the experiment. But now that the theaters have proven they won't support the movies - and now that Sony can possibly show that premium VOD day-and-date on big titles can work - the theaters may have begun etching their own tombstones. I think the biggest theater chains in America have stepped aside and allowed the future they were blocking to come in the door.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Enderzero posted:

I don't care about cursing or "Chatum Tanning" emails, but you should probably think about why you believe things you wouldn't admit to in public. It has nothing to do with PC and everything to do with not being a duplicitous person. If you have the awareness not to say something you could probably take the next step and examine why you believe it in the first place. That kind of public/private split is why you have things like that shithead abusive racist executive.

Hahah Obama's black he must like black movies. Hey it's a tough industry jeez why's everything so PC nowadays it's pretty standard

Kind of a funny view for a goon. I know cinedisco is "super serious place" but a lot of this place is a mad house. Imagine those goons every thought written here being attributed to their full name and being posted for all to see - irl friends, employers, academic peers, family. People say things they shouldnt because its edgy.

Like the Angelina Jolie thing. The exec had a valid point. Now how she said it was inflammatory but we are talking about 300 million dollars. Lets cut through the crap and get to the bottom of this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

cams posted:

sony has officially surrendered to the terrorists

The Associated Press ‏@AP 2m2 minutes ago
BREAKING: Sony Pictures cancels Dec. 25 release of 'The Interview'

I want to see this movie even more now.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Jst0rm posted:

Kind of a funny view for a goon. I know cinedisco is "super serious place" but a lot of this place is a mad house. Imagine those goons every thought written here being attributed to their full name and being posted for all to see - irl friends, employers, academic peers, family. People say things they shouldnt because its edgy.
goons that say "edgy" things because its funny are worthless garbage and it's not funny at all and they should, in fact, be mocked publicly.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

goons that say "edgy" things because its funny are worthless garbage and it's not funny at all and they should, in fact, be mocked publicly.

But it does happen. A lot.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Jst0rm posted:

But it does happen. A lot.
good? i'm confused as to the point you're trying to make

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Enderzero posted:

There are two things going on here so I'll start by saying that the racist stuff is pretty indefensible and the execs are morons for saying that stuff, even in private. On the other hand, major corporations simply cannot succeed while leaving all their dirty laundry, all the infighting, doubt, and hard choices that are necessary parts of creating and releasing a major project of any type, out in the open. The media and the public are too prone to taking a single soundbyte and blowing it up to a defining story, so the companies are basically forces to control PR as much as they can. Yeah, that may be sort of duplicitous but it's one of those things where the market is going to reward the duplicitous actor over and over again.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jst0rm posted:

Like the Angelina Jolie thing. The exec had a valid point. Now how she said it was inflammatory but we are talking about 300 million dollars. Lets cut through the crap and get to the bottom of this.

I see your point, but corporate email is not anonymous. The same lawyers your former employers were using to try and destroy the internet could and would tell you don't put it in writing. I'm as anti-corporate as you can get but I've heard too many deposition horror stories to use email for anything other than covering my rear end. Don't say controversial things on official records. It's not a hard concept. These aren't personal email; your account and thoughts are owned by the company so why would you risk it? Because they got lazy or think they are above it.

The next step up is examine yourself and stop being a lovely person and suddenly those controversial things never come up at all. Never thought I would hear 'cut the crap' when talking about Hollywood. The exec had a point, but how do you think Jolie got so spoiled? I suspect it was not because the crap got cut at any point in dealing with her.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 17, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jst0rm posted:

Did they try to get 10 million from sony? I hadnt heard that before.

I don't know the amount they demanded, I just made up that number because it was a plausible amount to extort. But there was definitely blackmail involved regarding "Pay us or we air your dirty laundry."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Man, Kim Jong Il was impaled on a hat and revealed to be a cockroach in Team America and there was barely a peep about that, can't believe Sony collapsed so easily.

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know the amount they demanded, I just made up that number because it was a plausible amount to extort. But there was definitely blackmail involved regarding "Pay us or we air your dirty laundry."

I could just as easily see the DPRK doing that too, actually.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Do you have any reading material on that? Im interested to read if they had a opportunity to pay someone off.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

If Sony has any sense (which, I mean, I dunno anymore), they'll release this in March as the biggest VoD launch in history and make money hand over fist from people who want to smoke a bowl while watching a first run Franco/Rogen flick.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
If nothing else this movie will go in the record books/history.

30 Years From Now....

The Interview Trivia:

In order to prevent World War 3 Sony decided not to release the movie theatrically.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know this is sorta victim blaming, but isn't this sort of thing why stories of this nature either try not to mention a specific country as the Bad Guy, or at the very least avoiding the usage of a standing head of a country, especially if the plotline is about assassinating said head of country?

I don't know who hacked Sony, but the concept for The Interview strikes me as one that you'd think a studio guy would say "Hold up, this might piss some folks off in a potentially dangerous way?"

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jst0rm posted:

A lot of times people in those positions ARE tools. They have to make hard choices and I would personally be nervous about investing 300 million into a movie (this is probably 150 million for production and 150 million for marketing). You need a hard rear end to be in a position to say yes or no on 300 million spent.

Why would you be nervous? At that point you've made enough money to be comfortable. What's the worst that can happen? You lose your job on a bad call? A single parent working a poo poo job worrying about deciding between gas or food - that makes me nervous. I got no pity for executives - these are people who have no compunction making racist jokes about a president (I was most offended by how poor their jokes were) but god forbid they become laughingstocks over a Steve Jobs movie! That would be way worse and they would only have money to console them! What I'm saying is I don't get why you're defending these people. If someone is in charge of $300 million movies I expect a lot more hardass - you should be embarrassed that this is the best your industry has.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

I know this is sorta victim blaming, but isn't this sort of thing why stories of this nature either try not to mention a specific country as the Bad Guy, or at the very least avoiding the usage of a standing head of a country, especially if the plotline is about assassinating said head of country?

I don't know who hacked Sony, but the concept for The Interview strikes me as one that you'd think a studio guy would say "Hold up, this might piss some folks off in a potentially dangerous way?"

I talked to my manager (a movie theater manager, though not a theater that would ever get The Interview) about this, and this was basically his reaction. It's absurd that it got to this level of threats and hype, but it's still crazy and kinda dumb that at no point did anyone step back and say "maybe we don't poke at the crazy country dictator who might have some harmful weapons and loving *hates* being made fun of"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

FlamingLiberal posted:

This entire thing is crazy. A movie studio being held hostage by North Korea.

I don't know, holding a movie studio hostage is a pretty Kim thing to do. Jong-Il kidnapped that one filmmaker to make a Godzilla ripoff. Kid's just trying to one-up his dad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jst0rm posted:

Do you have any reading material on that? Im interested to read if they had a opportunity to pay someone off.

I'm trying to dig up something from the initial reports but all of the articles I can find just say that the hackers made "demands" and don't get any more specific than that, though I think that if they demanded something about The Interview then that would be part of the story that was circulating rather than people latching onto speculation. I remember money being involved, but I just can't find those articles...

angerbot posted:

I don't know, holding a movie studio hostage is a pretty Kim thing to do. Jong-Il kidnapped that one filmmaker to make a Godzilla ripoff. Kid's just trying to one-up his dad.

Watched that last night. It was interesting in a bad cinema kind of way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Odd, 10 years ago Team America came out, and no one cared. Probably due to Un being more of a crazy rear end in a top hat than Il...but kidnapping someone to make good movies is pretty up there as far as crazy tyrant poo poo.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I think Faraci brings up a great point about VOD here:

It would be fantastic if this ridiculous situation ends up being what it takes for the big studios to realize that better utilizing VOD is the actual path to saving their skins rather than desperately clinging to the increasingly failing theatre experience(*).

(*) note that this is said as somebody who LOVES the theatre experience but also recognizes that it's really gone to poo poo over the past few decades anyway

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

at no point did anyone step back and say "maybe we don't poke at the crazy country dictator who might have some harmful weapons and loving *hates* being made fun of"

(not that I think The Interview will be half the movie that The Great Dictator was)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CelticPredator posted:

Odd, 10 years ago Team America came out, and no one cared. Probably due to Un being more of a crazy rear end in a top hat than Il...but kidnapping someone to make good movies is pretty up there as far as crazy tyrant poo poo.

I think the difference is that Jong-Il, crazy as he was, actually lived through the cold war and had a rather more direct understanding of when to cut your losses and stop waving your dick in the face of a significantly larger nuclear power.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Good point. Real good point.

I checked on CNN real quick, and they said that for a fact, North Korea was behind it. Has this actually been confirmed, or is it just CNN being CNN?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuynkt7FQBg

I wonder if Seth Rogen put that much effort into his movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Enderzero posted:

Why would you be nervous? At that point you've made enough money to be comfortable. What's the worst that can happen? You lose your job on a bad call? A single parent working a poo poo job worrying about deciding between gas or food - that makes me nervous. I got no pity for executives - these are people who have no compunction making racist jokes about a president (I was most offended by how poor their jokes were) but god forbid they become laughingstocks over a Steve Jobs movie! That would be way worse and they would only have money to console them! What I'm saying is I don't get why you're defending these people. If someone is in charge of $300 million movies I expect a lot more hardass - you should be embarrassed that this is the best your industry has.
Well, 300 million is a lot of money! Like for people like us you're completely right, even approaching the level of financial security that these people have would absolutely be a dream, but for them, who gives a poo poo? Like they're at the point where they are making decisions with 300 million dollars, I don't think "Well, at least you have a place to rest your head every night" even approaches a thought in their head, so yeah, their concerns and worries are different, they'd have to be considering the scale of what they're doing.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

Good point. Real good point.

I checked on CNN real quick, and they said that for a fact, North Korea was behind it. Has this actually been confirmed, or is it just CNN being CNN?

No. It's not North Korea, I'd probably put $50 on it not being North Korea, CNN is just dumb as hell.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

Man, Kim Jong Il was impaled on a hat and revealed to be a cockroach in Team America and there was barely a peep about that, can't believe Sony collapsed so easily.

The part where Kim Jong Ill actually gets murdered wasn't in the trailer, nor was his role in the movie really emphasized. It's not quite a fair comparison given that The Interview's entire premise is murdering Kim Jong Un.

MisterBibs posted:

On Colbert the other night, Seth Rogen said that the idea of changing the name came up, but they decided it wasn't worth it. "Who are we going to offend with this, Kim Jong Un?" I mean just about nobody in the PRNK even has access to the internet. NK did eventually hear about, but when was the last time they actually did anything other than make threats? At this point we really don't have any evidence, other than some hackers potentially trolling, that NK actually did anything in response to the film.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm not a technical person but I can't for the life of me understand how something like this even happens without anyone knowing who did it. That is intense.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well, 300 million is a lot of money! Like for people like us you're completely right, even approaching the level of financial security that these people have would absolutely be a dream, but for them, who gives a poo poo? Like they're at the point where they are making decisions with 300 million dollars, I don't think "Well, at least you have a place to rest your head every night" even approaches a thought in their head, so yeah, their concerns and worries are different, they'd have to be considering the scale of what they're doing.

"The rich are just different from us." Noted. I was arguing that maybe the obsession with status isn't a productive thing and is not, in fact, a real problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yoshifan823 posted:

No. It's not North Korea, I'd probably put $50 on it not being North Korea, CNN is just dumb as hell.

That's what I thought. I'm with you. I honestly don't think it's them.

• Locked thread