Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OOC thread

Welcome to Krakana Squadron, please leave your bags at the door

Cast

Beardless as Lieutenant Samak Radt
Astus as Flight Officer AC-55
Viscardus as Flight Officer Eris Vahl
Mustache Ride as Flight Officer Komad
Tekopo as Flight Officer Kolt Tyor
TheTofuShop as Flight Officer Remi Toraj

The Story So Far
It is not quite 9 years after the historic Battle of Yavin and the New Republic has been slowly flourishing despite the best efforts of the Imperial Remnant, various Warlords, and pirate gangs across the galaxy. One group of individuals helping to secure a bright future was Wraith Squadron, a New Republic fighter squadron, hand picked by Commander Wedge Antilles to bridge the gap between commandos and fighter pilots. This is not the story of Wraith Squadron, however. This is the story of Wraith Squadron's replacements. After dealing a crippling blow to the Warlord Zsinj, the Wraiths were decommissioned as a fighter group and recommissioned as a New Republic Intelligence force. In return, NRI gifted to Starfighter Command a handful of recruits with basic infiltration skills, but aptitude for piloting. Under the command of Commander Elix Strimm, Krakana Squadron would be the newest back-alley vibroblade standing between the forces of corruption and the New Republic.

First content post will go up tomorrow!

jivjov fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Komad

The first to arrive at the pilot's btiefing room, Komad looks stuffy and uncomfortable in his new Starfighter command uniform. He is used to the more casual clothing found in the NRI's offices, and found on the streets surrounding [NAME OF PLANET]'s spaceport. The uniform didn't seem to fit him very well, as his huge bulk was more easily covered by a large robe than by a form fitting garment, and he pulls on the fringes of his sleeves as he slides into one of the egg shaped chairs surrounding the holotable in the center of the round room.

"Come to starfighter command, they said, big steps in your career, they said. What a load of bantha poo poo."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Starfighter Command HQ - Coruscant - 1400 hours

Approximately two dozen people file into the ready room over the course of 15 minutes or so; almost all of them are of different species wearing tailored versions of the Starfighter Command uniform. Among them, you spot a 6-fingered near-human with a cybernetic eye, a Gran who had added a small red scarf to his uniform, and a very fidgety Rodian who kept rising from his chair and pacing a bit before dropping back down.

Shortly after the last of the pilots took their seats, two men bearing Commander rank insignia entered the room. The first was a cheerful looking fellow, one carrying about 5 extra kilos that refused to go away despite the best intentions of the man carrying them. The second man to enter was one known to all in the room; Commander Wedge Antilles, hero of two Death Star runs and operational leader of Rogue Squadron. Wedge took a seat at the head of the table while the other man remained standing.

"Welcome pilots," he said in a brisk but friendly tone. "For those who have not met me, I am Commander Elix Strimm, and I'll be leading Taupe..excuse me Krakana Squadron. Incidentally, you have Lieutenant Radt to thank for giving us an actual name and getting rid of that awful color designation." He nodded appreciatively to the Mon Cal pilot seated near him. There was a murmur of good cheer throughout the room. "Anyway, down to business." Strimm continued "As I'm sure you can tell, there are far too many pilots here for a proper squadron, so the first order of business is to read off the final unit roster. For those not selected, don't worry, you'll still have your chance at being pilots. In fact, Commander Antilles will be speaking to some of you after this meeting about other potential placements." Picking up a datapad off the table, Strimm proceeded to read off six names. Those not named were asked to wait in the antechamber of the briefing room until the meeting was concluded.

"You may notice," Strimm said, setting his pad back down, "that this is only half of a normal squadron compliment. This is by design. I want all of you working like a well-oiled machine together, and trying to insert 12 people into a covert op has proven to be...difficult in the past." Behind him, Wedge gave a wry smile and bobbed his head in a ridiculous gesture. Strimm grinned in return and continued, "So at least for the forseeable future, we will be operating as a half-squad of 6, plus myself in command. Anyway, before we go further, Commander Antilles would like to say a few words."

Getting to his feet, Wedge stood in a restful pose with his hands clasped behind his back. "Thank you all for volunteering for this squadron. When I formed Wraith Squadron last year, I had to fight very hard for the idea of a starfighter unit that was less glorious avenging pilots and more backalley protectors. That fight paid off handsomely in the fight against Zsinj, and now with the Wraiths over in Intelligence, the fight to commission a new unit similar to the Wraiths was a much less difficult one. To those of you who transferred over from Intelligence, welcome to Starfighter Command, and to all of you, welcome to the Krakanas." With that Wedge shook Strimm's hand and headed to the antechamber to converse with the other pilots.

"Couldn't have put it better myself," said Strimm. "So, before we get down to the business of 'first assignments', does anyone have any questions?"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Kolt Tyor

Kolt was one of the last few attendants to arrive at the briefing room: he liked it this way since it allowed him to stay at the back of the room and not draw too much attention towards himself. It also allowed him a few minutes to scope out the room from the back without having to turn around and be obvious about it. What he saw this time impressed him: pilots and operatives from all corners of the galaxy. Although he was an NRI agent, Kolt had never really mixed with the career agents, since thanks to his skillset most of his time in Intelligence had been spent sending him to planets that still had an imperial presence and forming cells with little in terms of supply or support. He was the sort of person that the New Republic Senate saw as necessary, a relic of the Alliance to Restore the Republic and not the sort of agent that was needed nowadays. Some of the leaders of the NRI thought differently however, and they weren't above using deniable assets if they proved to be necessary.

When the names were called out, Kolt was surprised at who remained: a mon cal, a chevin (weird looking dude, those), a droid. a zabrak and a Duros. It seemed that Kolt was gonna be the only human. Not that there was anything wrong with that: when Kolt had been down in the Coruscant underground, there had been plenty of aliens there and he had met even more in his stint on the mining asteroid/prison.

When Stimm asked for any questions, Kolt was the first to put up his hand.

"Are we gonna be flying two-seaters, 'cause I'm no pilot and by the looks of it, Komad over there is no pilot either."

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Remi Toraj

Remi had come into the room and sat down amongst the recruits, and wondered what they were all waiting for. As each person entered, Remi noticed a much greater diversity among the grunts in the room. He hadn't expected to see a chevin among those recruits, and there was even a droid with what looked like some worn corporate logos on chassis. It was a strange group, but

His interest piqued when he saw that Admiral Antilles was in the room. Remi immediately sat up, and listened intently. Destroying the second death star was the biggest explosion anyone had seen, if the spacers who he had met on the transport to NRI were right, and this was the man responsible!

Remi could barely contain himself, but kept his composure until Wedge had left the room. As the human at the back of the room spoke up, Remi raised his hand.

"I was just wondering, sir...when do we get to blow something up?"

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 15, 2014

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Samak Radt

Samak looks over at Commander Strimm, and then answers the question himself when the officer doesn't speak up. "We'll be flying BTL-S3 Y-Wings. Those of you who were transferred will be acting as Weapon Systems Officers when we engage in ship to ship combat. I believe they ran you all through a gunnery course, correct?"

The Mon Cal lets out a gurgling chuckle at Remi's question. "I think we'd all like to know what our first mission will be. Commander Strimm, do we have an assignment?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Strimm looked to Lt. Radt. "Correct on both counts, Lieutenant, but let's not jump the gun." This was said with a small smile; the rebuke was a mild one, and it was obvious the commander was pleased that people had, in fact, been paying attention to the mountains of paperwork and databytes that had gone into assembling the Krakanas.

"We have been issued three of the two-seater variant Y-Wings, which as you all know, are the workhorses of the Rebel...Republic, fleet." Strimm thumbed a control on the table and a hologram of the BTL-S3 resolved itself over the table's mounted projector.

"The S3's primary difference from the standard Y-Wing configuration is the addition of a gunnery position. The gunner seat also has full access the the navigation and communications arrays, for ease of delegation. As Lieutenant Radt implied, three of you will be the primary pilots, the other three will be gunners. However, our first assignment will most likely not see space combat." Strimm thumbed another button and the Y-Wing hologram was replaced with one of a blue-green planet.

"This is the planet Velmor, located in the Mid Rim. It allied itself with the Rebel Alliance some 6 years ago, has remained loyal to the New Republic, but has been of little galactic consequence since. However, it has come to our attention that dissident elements are present on-world. The intel we have is not clear as to if the Imperials are attempting to take Velmor for themselves or simply cause unrest. Velmor is a major exporter of precious metals and stones, which may be related to the Imperial presence. As a sort of shake-down assignment, we are to make contact with the local government and investigate the disturbances and, if possible, halt them."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Komad

"Are we going to be friendly to the local government? Or are we flying under the radar as it were?" The Chevin's chuckle at his own joke is deep and full of vibration. "Also, what kind of ground support are we going to have? Any contacts already on scene or are we developing all the leads ourself?"

Komad shifts in his seat a little as he pulls a small notebook out and starts to scribble in an unknown language to most of you. "Oh, can you go into more detail on the disturbances? Hits on the shipments for the metals? Government responses? Do we have a full report?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Turning to the Chevin, Strimm addressed his concerns. "We have the tacit approval of local government, but we will not be reporting to them. I believe their president's exact words were 'just make the problems go away, and I can turn a blind eye to whatever you needed to do to make it happen.'. That said, we will, of course, be making every effort to avoid civilian casualties and property damage. We don't presently have anyone on the ground on Velmor; there really was nothing of enough importance there to be worth stationing anyone other than a couple of comm relay technicians. As for the nature of the attacks, there has been one mass riot outside the governmental complex; it technically qualifies as 'violent', but nothing worse than thrown rocks, thank the Force."

Strimm paged through something on his datapad before continuing, "There have also been two attacks on cargo haulers before they left atmosphere. Reports indicate nothing was stolen from the wreckage, but in both cases, the pilot and crew were lost in the crash. For the first attack, the copilot radioed in that he saw a TIE fighter off his starboard side, but no planetary sensors could confirm this. The pilot of the second transport reported receiving a garbled message saying that "the gems belong to Velmor, the Rebellion is a fraud, support the Empire's freedom", which is what bumped this to our unit in the first place."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

AC-55, Droid Explorer

After making sure to update his databanks with the few details about Velmor Commander Strimm had shared, AC-55 raised one arm in an exaggerated movement. "A question, sir. If these Imperial dissidents do in fact have a TIE fighter, or perhaps more, about how many people would it take to maintain such an operation? I realize it would be highly improbably for them to have a large hidden base or the like, but organized attacks on cargo ships while avoiding detection, if this is indeed what is happening, suggests more than just a small handful of Imperials stirring up the citizens of Velmor."

pre:
Name: AC-55
Race: Droid
Duty: Support (0)
Motivation: Ambition (Wanderlust)

Career: Explorer
Specializations: Fringer, Recruit

Characteristics:
Brawn:     1      Cunning:   3
Presence:  1      Agility:   3
Intellect: 3      Willpower: 2

Wound Threshold: 11
Strain Threshold: 12
Defence: 0 R, 0 M
Soak: 3

Career Skills:
Astrogation Rank 2
Cool Rank 1
Discipline Rank 1
Outer Rim Rank 2
Piloting (Space) Rank 2
Streetwise Rank 1

Coordination
Lore
Negotiation
Perception
Vigilance
Xenology

Non-Career Skills:
Skullduggery Rank 1

Talents:
Defensive Driving
Galaxy Mapper x2
Skilled Jockey

Gear:
Heavy Clothing (built-in plating)
Light Blaster Pistol
Comlink ("handheld", built-in)
Datapad (knowledge banks)
Emergency Repair Patch x2

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Remi Toraj

Remi motioned toward the droid with a nod and raised his hand once more,
"He's got a good point there, sir...are there any areas on the surface of Velmor that could be used as a base of operations? Also, is there any chance this dissident element is involved with the local government?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Strimm considered briefly before replying to AC-55. "Including a pilot, figure approximately 4.5 sentients per TIE. You can knock 1 off of that estimate if they have a sufficiently advanced mechanic droid. But there has to be a flight controller, a pilot, a mechanic, and other support staff for sure."

Turning next to Toraj, Strimm said "Nothing has particularly stood out as a base of operations; but scans once we are in orbit could very well tell us more. As for involvement with the local government; we are very certain of the President's loyalties, but his staff could very well be involved. That will bear further investigation once we're on-world."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kolt Tyor

"What about that mass riot, sir? Was it born out of a popular movement, did they post demands and was it connected to the pro-Imperial sentiment expressed with the hauler attacks?" This seemed to fit more with Kolt's area of expertise than any discussion about flight crews, ground crews or connections with the local government.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Strimm frowned slightly and tabbed through reports on his datapad. "Let's see here...from what we've learned, the original purpose of the gathering was to protest a planet-wide increase in sales tax. President Jah-Ris seemed perfectly open to constructive debate about the topic and had already drafted a proposed change to the taxation...anyway, the riot broke out when a 'handful of violent extremists' co-opted the gathering and declared their unhappiness with New Republic allegiance. Hmm...Good thinking Tyor...this looks like a very sloppy attempt to implicate the Empire. Whether that means its a sloppy cell of agents or another group entirely behind it....well that's what they're paying us for."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Komad

"Excellent, that should give us enough to start with, probably. I've been thrumming through my notes and it doesn't look like I know anyone on this blasted planet, although I do think I have the location for an old smuggler base here somewhere..."

Outer Rim: 3eA+2eD 4 successes

"Ah yes, in the northern continent at location 5486.3412 is a base that we might be able to use ourselves if we were not planning on support from the locals. I think it would be better to not come flying in with the Y-Wings anyways. Tell us about our support please? Do we have a mechanic, or requisition officer assigned? Will you be accompanying us at all?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"Excellent thinking...provided that base is unoccupied, repurposing it to act as a Krakana staging point will work well. As to our support staff situation, we have a pair of mechanics who will be rendezvousing with us en route. I will be acting as quartermaster until we find someone to fill the post. I spent time as a quartermaster on Hoth; I know how the game is played. And yes, I will be accompanying you on the mission; actual operations will be left to you, but I will be in orbit or on base if needed. Are there any further questions?"

(incidentally that outer rim check should have come with a setback die, seeing as we're headed to a Mid Rim world, but you did well enough it's not worth quibbling over. And if there aren't any other questions, I'll get a mission post [complete with Destiny Pool and Duty roll] up later tonight.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Eris Vahl

Eris had been quiet so far. She wasn't surprised she'd been chosen - she was certain she was as good as any pilot in the running, even if they all had more experience than she did - but it all still felt a little unreal. Sitting in a briefing room with the Wedge Antilles, even if just for a few moments, was almost unbelievable. This might not have been her first choice in assignments (only getting to fly Y-Wings?), but she knew it was still an honour.

On the other hand, she already had some reservations about this mission. "Sir, I know that you said we shouldn't expect space combat on this mission," she started, a little hesitantly, "but if the people we're up against really do have TIEs, are Y-Wings even going to be much use? We're still a starfighter squadron - I assume there's a reason we're being sent instead of a dedicated intelligence unit."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Samak Radt

Samak frowns slightly at Eris's comment about Y-Wings and turns to address her. "Y-Wings may not be the quickest snubfighters in the fleet, but they're more than enough to deal with TIE fighers. You do raise a good point though, it would be to our advantage to have a few snubfighters in orbit." He looks around at the others with a calculating look in his eye. "Quite honestly, I at least would stick out when trying to root out an Imperial cell, they aren't likely to trust a Mon Cal. We should figure out when they ship gems offworld, and set up an ambush. We can leave the infiltration team in place on the ground, and with ion cannons we stand a good chance of capturing whoever is attacking the merchants."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Strimm addressed Vahl "The potential presence of enemy starfighters is precisely why we're sending the Krakanas instead of a dedicated intelligence unit. And as Lieutenant Radt has explained, while Y-Wings aren't the flashiest or fastest ships, they do perfectly well against standard TIEs. Interceptors or Defenders would present more of an issue, but the fight would certainly not be unwinnable. Our complement of Y-Wings will be accompanying us on the mission; loaded into the launch bay of our pocket corvette."

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Eris Vahl

"Maybe I'm just underestimating them, then," Eris conceded, though her voice betrayed her reservations. She didn't doubt that she could manage to out-pilot a TIE, but she still wasn't sure it was as easy as the lieutenant was making it out to be. No point debating it, though.

"So, when do we ship out?"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kolt Tyor

"...and when do we get assigned to our pilot?" added Kolt. Hopefully he wouldn't get assigned to sit behind the potentially joyless droid, who was clearly one of the pilots within the squadron, although it wasn't clear who the other two pilots would be.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Samak Radt

"I do have one last question. What's our cover story? Will we be disguised as some neutral party, or will there be some pretense for a New Republic military presence?" He glances around at the others, as if taking stock. "Perhaps one of us could be a phoney military attache. That would allow us to investigate any possibility of Imperial sympathy within the government, as well as give our operation access to some legitimate support."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Strimm toggled the table switch once more and the unit roster was displayed on screen. "Here are the pilot/gunner pairings. Please see me privately if you feel there are issues. Lieutenant Radt will be partnered with Flight Officer Komad. You are now Krakana One and Krakana Two respectively, piloting Y-Wing designated Krakana Aurek. Flight Officers AC-55 and Tyor are Krakana Three and Four, in Y-Wing Krakana Besh, leaving Flight Officers Vahl and Toraj as Krakana Five and Six in Y-Wing Krakana Cresh."

"Our cover is, at present, that we simply do not exist. We will be based out of Flight Officer Komad's old base, but at first we will have zero official or unofficial reason to be on planet. If people start asking questions, we are simple travelers. Lieutenant Radt's suggestion of posing as a military attache has merit, we can work details of that out in transit."

Strimm looked around the room, saw no further questions, and turned off the holo display. "We ship out in one hour. Gather your belongings and report to launch bay 1-17. I will meet you there."

MISSION START

Duty Roll:Mission 1 Duty Roll: 1d100 99 NO DUTY TRIGGER

Destiny Pool: Mission 1 Destiny Pool: 6eF 5 Light Side, 3 Dark Side

Just over 37 hours later, the light corvette Atlas dropped out of the swirling void of hyperspace over the planet Velmor. Other than a sizable storm over the northern-most continent, it was exactly as the hologram the Krakanas had seen at their briefing. "So," said Strimm, "where is this base of yours, Komad?" After receiving the coordinates from the Chevin, Strimm keyed the ship into a high orbit. "Any sign of hostiles, or life at all?"

Whoever wants to be acting sensor officer, make a Diff 2 computers check, with a setback from the storm system.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 18, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kolt Tyor

Kolt had been grumbling from the moment when he had been given his assignment as the gunner of the droid, all the way through the trip on the Corvette. It wasn't that he had anything against droids...well, to think about it, he did have something against droids. In Coruscant, they hadn't been seen in a good light in the lower levels and that opinion had been hard to change, even after the movements to grant some of them full sentient rights. Still, the coming mission would mean that he probably wouldn't have to have too much contact with it.

Kolt had spent some of the trip time trying to see if any of his old underworld contacts were present on the planet or if they knew anything regarding it in terms of shady dealings.

Checking my Underworld Links: 1eP+1eA+2eD 0 successes

Unfortunately, everything had turned up blank. The planet wasn't important enough for the Coruscant underground to really pay any attention to it. It would probably be necessary for Kolt to do some 'research' on the ground if he wanted to pursue this avenue further.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Komad

Nodding to the Mon Calamari as he steps out the door, the first thing he does when he reaches the corvette is head to the hangar to find one of the mechanics for his Y-Wing.

"Komad, I'm the gunner on this one. I guess it's Flight Officer, but I'm not really interested in titles, so just call me Komad and we'll get along fine."

He offers a hand to both mechanics. "I need some things done. First, pull the seat out of the rear of our Y-Wing and make me a harness system. I don't intend to strap myself into a human seat for every mission. Second, let's take the Yellow paint off of these three. We need to not look like a republic unit from the get go, and until we're based on a ship we should just be another trio of tramp starfighters. Go ask the pilots what paint job they'd like."

He starts to look over the weapons for his own starfighter.

"The rear ion canon is nice, but I'd rather have something with a bit more finality. What do we have in way of replacements?"

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Samak Radt

Gathering up his gear, Saamak follows Komad down to the hangar, and chuckles as he starts ordering modifications to their Y-Wing. He walks over next to Komad, and begins to adress the mechanics himself. "I'm Lieutenant Radt, I'll be piloting this wishbone. I have a few requests of my own. I want you to pull the seat out, and then see if you can't strip it down and attatch Komad's harness to the ejection system. If we have to punch out, I don't want him to be stuck in the fighter. As far as a paint job goes, here's what I have in mind". Samak pulls out a datapad and displays a picture of a krakana. "Oh, one other thing, if you do end up replacing the turret, I'd like you to mount the ion cannons back on the fighter, in a forward-facing mount."

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Remi Toraj

Remi arrived at Launch Bay 1-17 wearing a backpack and carrying a large crate, seeking out the crew loading up equipment for their mission. When he finally spotted the requisition officer, he approached, and set down the crate in front of him with a heavy thud.

"Sir, this needs to be on board for Krakana Squadron's next mission."

The Officer looked up at Remi from his datapad, surveying the gear for the mission,
"Ah...you must be Flight Officer Toraj, is there anything we should be aware of in your gear?"
"Yes, there are four slabs of detonite in there, along with some other explosives and equipment for the mission-"

At the word Detonite, the officer momentarily raises his eyebrow at the young Duros, unsure if he's joking or serious.

"But don't worry, I have the detonators on me!" Remi says with a smile as he taps a pouch strapped to his belt. He saluted, turned, and headed off to meet the crew aboard the Atlas.

Commander Strimm posted:

"Any sign of hostiles, or life at all?"
Sensors Check over Velmor: 3eA+1eP+2eD+1eS 5 successes, 3 threat

"Sir, I've got a scan of the base up now, 5486.3412...located in the forests just outside of the main settlement on the Northern Continent. It's definitely out of the way, and good news -it looks like the base is intact, there's a hangar that should hold a starfighter or two if it's empty. There's some bad news though... It looks like that storm has driven in some people looking for some shelter. I'm picking up a half dozen or more life signs, but this damned storm is interfering with the sensors, can't tell if they are armed or not."

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 19, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kolt Tyor

"What did Komad said this was, a smuggler base? My contacts don't know anything about who might have been using it, but it could be a nice cover. We go in, tell those 'refugees' to clear off, maybe pay them to keep their mouth shut, but not enough, of course. They go away and spread the word and we have a semi-believable cover. Of course, this relies on them not being civil-minded individuals and not going straight to authorities. What are the local law enforcement like? If they are as corrupt as a Hutt politician, we might have some wiggle room."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
AC-55

AC-55 had just finished asking one of the technicians to install a music player in his Y-Wing, due to how unlikely it seemed he would enjoy a nice conversation with his human gunner. When the issue about the "abandoned" base no longer being abandoned comes up, the droid interjects his own thoughts into the conversation. "I believe Komad had called it an old smuggler's base, but there's no guarantee the people currently residing it it are smugglers themselves. They might be just trying to lay low for a while, the base does seem like a good hiding spot after all. And as someone who has had to hide from bounty hunters sent by my former owners before, it seems quite rude to just kick them out, even for a good cause. Of course, they could also be armed, which adds another reason to not try to intimidate them into leaving."

"Actually, we might be able to work out a deal. Make it seem like we, too, need to lay low for a while, which would give us cover and a base of operations. This would also get around the issue of the authorities getting involved."

Going to make a Streetwise check to think of the best way to greet the squatters and convince them we aren't hostile.
Streetwise Check: 2eA+1eP+2eD One success, Two advantages.
I would like to spend the two advantages to give whoever wants to talk to the people in the base a boost die for their roll.

"Ah yes, I think there was a coded message some others would use to identify themselves as fellow wanderers. If we use it, it should prevent them from shooting us on sight. And we aren't here for anyone else besides the Imperials, so there is no need to antagonize anyone just yet."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Komad

"I hope they're wanderers and not something else. Are there any comms we can pick up? No?"

Trundling his way to the comm room, Komad listens in on the various stations before sitting down at one of the stations. Adjusting the console dials in to the geographic area of the base.

Computers: 3eA+2eD 2 successes, 2 threat

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kolt Tyor

"If we can't raise them on comms, lets go down and introduce ourselves. We have the codes, after all. It'll be fun!" said Kolt as he grinned. Maybe that pile of junk that was Kolt's 'pilot' wouldn't be useless after all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Strimm nodded once; "Yes, let's go ahead and try to introduce ourselves and see what happens. If they're hostile, we can always punch out again. If they're not, they may even have valuable local intel. Everyone; let's go incognito. No New Republic uniforms, no visible rank insignia. No sense announcing to the world that we're New Republic forces. On that note, good call repainting the Y-Wings."

The Atlas cuts down through the storm band; while the clouds were very menacing, the storm was composed more of inter-cloud lightning and winds; actual rainfall was more of a light drizzle. Running with full lights and repulsorlifts, the ship gently came to rest a half-mile from the semi-overgrown base complex. As Strimm went through the power-down procedures, there was no sign of activity from the complex.

The base itself consisted of a small hangar facility with sliding top doors, and a series of industrial-looking buildings, none taller than 3 stories.

"I'll finish securing the ship," said Strimm, "who wants to go and say hello?"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Komad

"I'll go, no sense in staying around here and 'securing' the ship. I'm not a naval officer." Grumbling about being forced into the military, Komad shuffles back to his cabin and dons his travelling cloak, stained from his years on his own. He straps a Vibrosword and a small blaster to his belt as well before heading to the hangar and waiting for the rest to arrive.

"No doubt they know the ship has come down, we weren't being very stealthy with a pocket corvette in atmo. Shall we take a skimmer or would you like to do a flyby with the fighters, Samak? I'd prefer to be in skimmer, less aggressive than in the fighters, but I will go along with you if you'd like."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Samak Radt

Samak pulls a jacket on over a nondescript coverall, and checks that his blaster is secure in his holster. "We'll follow your lead in this, Komad. It seems like you have the most experience with this type of situation. I'm not too qualified with skimmers though, we may want another driver.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kolt Tyor

"I'll tag along as well, there isn't much I can do here either, but I might be able to snoop around while Komad talks to whoever is the leader of those wanderers. Skimmer would be best, I feel"

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Eris Vahl

"I'll drive," Eris said, glad for the opportunity to be useful. She'd been rather conscious of her status as a rookie on the flight over, not to mention her lack of experience in the wider galaxy. While the others had been making plans, she'd just been wondering when she'd be able to fly something.

Piloting - Planetary: 2eP+2eA+2eD+1eF 1 success, 2 advantage, 2 Light Side

I'll spend the two light side pips on a couple more advantage, not that it really matters much.

She was the first one into the landspeeder, eager to get going. As soon as the others were in, she was off, driving a little faster than was strictly necessary. Their route wasn't particularly difficult, so she didn't mind making things a little more interesting. "This thing isn't too bad," she eventually said to her passengers. "Seems like it's right off the lot, though. No mods or anything, and way too many unnecessary safety features. If one of you is handy with a hydrospanner I could give you a couple suggestions for improving it."

I'll use the advantage to give Eris some insight into how someone more mechanically-inclined might improve the vehicle (the book says to use additional successes for this, but advantage makes more sense to me).

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 21, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The drive to the base is mostly uneventful. The skimmer's canopy isn't the best at holding out the weather, but you all arrive merely damp rather than out-and-out soggy. Eris' intuition is correct, the skimmer was factory-new and was definitely in need of some tuning. The front repulsorlift coils were slightly out of alignment, leading to a gentle pull to the left, and there were a baker's dozen various tweaks that would leave the vehicle well within safety tolerances but greatly improve speed and fuel consumption. If anyone mechanically inclined wants to tinker with the skimmer when it's back on board the ship, you'll get a tidy little stack of boost dice to help you.

You pull up into the well-cleared area surrounding the base. There is still no sign of much activity, but you do notice a slight flutter in a near window.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kolt Tyor

"Let me take care of this" said Kolt before Komad could do anything. Stepping down from the skimmer, Kolt theatrically put down up his hands as he approached the base, keeping an eye out at window and any other points from which he could be fired from.

"Don't worry, friends, we are not here to hurt you!" said Kolt in a clear, high voice, after which he slowly pulled his trusty slugthrower and slowly put it down on the ground "See, I am completely unarmed now. We are fellow Wanderers, my friend will send you the code now."

Kolt looked briefly back to make sure that Komad or someone else had sent the code, then turned back and proceeded to walk towards the base.

"So, can someone come out? I prefer to talk face to face rather than through a window..."

Trying to fool the Wanderers: 2eP+1eA+2eD 2 successes, 1 advantage

A few seconds passed, but finally someone stepped out of the base. They appeared with a smile on their face and although they had still had a blaster in hand, the man demeanor's seemed to suggest that the code they had used was legit.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Komad

"Let's see if the old smugglers code is working. Of course if they aren't smugglers they won't catch it..."

Komad extracts his well worn book again and opens it to the page he earmarked before.

"Eris, rev the repulsors twice, and at the same time transmit 'Comm check 123' on frequency 3742.6.

Then set it down and we'll see what happens. We may be in for a fight if this doesn't go well."

Underworld: 3eA+2eD 0 successes, 4 advantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Eris Vahl

Eris looked askance at Komad's request - she didn't see the point in all this subterfuge - but dutifully followed the instructions she was given. "And what kind of response are we looking for, exactly?" she asked after she'd finished.

• Locked thread