Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LISA is a 2D side-scrolling RPG about choices, consequences, and "the decay of human intelligence." Set in a post-apocalyptic world in which there are no remaining women, the game follows the middle-aged drunkard Brad in his journey through this hellish wasteland populated with "supernatural beings, weirdos, monsters, and just plain dumb people."

One of the focal points of the game is making decisions. I'll just quote the Kickstarter page on this.

quote:

Lisa will be full of things to learn and do. Gamble your life away... LITERALLY! With Russian roulette! Enter the hyper slow world of white knuckle shopping cart racing! Defend your case in the foreign Fishman Court, good luck with that one! Remember, there are no women in Lisa. Men are "starved," so it's easy to turn a quick buck by selling your body as a prostitute! Have fun!

SACRIFICE

I want the world of Lisa to be hard on the player. I hate playing a game knowing that if I make a choice, it has to be the one I know the game wants me to do, or the "safe" option, or the one that leads to the good ending. The choices you make will change the core mechanics of the game, it's not just superficial. I want the player to really have to make sacrifices and for the game to affect the interior core of your experience. Here are some examples,

- Trading your hard earned money or items in exchange for the safety of your teammates.
- Giving up your limbs in exchange for the lives of your party members. affecting your stats, but ensuring their safety from permanent death.
- Revealing locations of towns or camps to the enemy for profit, allowing them to pillage all the resources and destroy all the potential party members and sidequests inside the town, permanently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-kT5SDifCU

LISA features a large (30+) cast filled with perverts, ne'er-do-wells, and other unusual characters. Like this guy, or this fish.

LISA was funded on Kickstarter last year, and is developed by Austin Jorgensen, aka Dingaling. He has listed Streets of Rage, King of Fighters, and Earthbound as major sources of inspiration for the game. You can find his website is here.

You can purchase the game on Steam for $10 USD.

Have some gifs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My body is ready.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A cheap knockoff of Space Funeral -8/10 stars.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
this looks sweet tho

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Now I'm just messing with Goblet Grotto fortunes I hope you're happy OP. http://www.mickeyalexandermouse.com/frogfortune/

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Style of the game reminds me more of Earthbound than Space Funeral. I guess both of them fit into the same vein "weird game about beating up weird poo poo". I'm skeptical of how much your choices actually matter, but hell I'll probably try this game out just because the style is interesting. Don't have :10bux: to spare at the moment though.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I think art therapy is really valuable and important so i'm glad this guy is working through his issues

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Now I'm just messing with Goblet Grotto fortunes I hope you're happy OP. http://www.mickeyalexandermouse.com/frogfortune/

I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Does withdrawal go away eventually? I gave up my items and now.....

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

swimming anime posted:

Does withdrawal go away eventually? I gave up my items and now.....

Resting seemed to make it go away, but it game back after a bit. I decided to restart since it's early on and sacrificed Terry this time instead. Sorry my good friend. :(

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Better to kick the habit now, then I think. I'd rather be hurting for a while now then to be hamstrung during the final boss or whatever. Who knows when the joy is going to run out...

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
This game is going to be great, can't wait to get the Goose man in my party.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
At last a game for the :smith: in me to enjoy.

I'm not liking where things are going with the plot what with the game menu and store cover already.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
poo poo, this game is hard. I am getting wrecked by the tiny cave with the snakes and the cave where you can't see poo poo dumps me in an area with a gang that fucks me up. Brutal. Also, I should have let Terry get ganked because he sucks bad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I think the place with the snakes is meant for when you're higher-leveled, which is why it has the "turn back" sign.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh god I need gas bottles to fight that thing! how do I do this!?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
If you can't kill the snakes, it's because you're supposed to do the dark cave with the red skulls out the front first. That area is a bit tough too, I actually leveled up on the snakes first, by just fighting one, going back, resting and saving and repeating a couple of times but you should be fine if you bought an ally from the first cave area's pub.

Edit: You also get gas from this area

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Lisa needs braces.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm really digging the music for this game. It oddly fits.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Okay, spent a lot of time playing, not getting much accomplished, but long enough to say that I think this game is actually really good so far. The story and characters are quirky and interesting, plus the choices here are more affecting than anything in, say, Dragon Age. The decision to go away from random battles (mostly) for combat makes all the fights seem much more urgent, and the high damage lends everything a more tense feel. I also enjoy the low amount of items available, it makes every item used feel precious. The music is weird but great, too. Enjoying this quite a bit.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I was worried that this game would never see completion. Glad I was wrong.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just killed half my gang because I didn't feel like savescumming russian roulette to get rich but that's ok because I mostly hated them.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
No matter what happens, Terry Hintz and I are going to see this through to the end.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Goddamn, Brad!

Also, woah Rando.

And yeah, I picked my arm over the other choice. I don't know why.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lisa is like Chrono Cross if Serge had a drug problem and the first time you went to the other world you had to choose between losing all your elements and getting Poshul permanently murdered. Also it's more fun than Chrono Cross.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

I just killed half my gang because I didn't feel like savescumming russian roulette to get rich but that's ok because I mostly hated them.

Never reload deaths, there's tons of party members and way too many things that kill them.

Anyways I just finished the game and it's probably the best RPG I've played in years. However I am left with a couple of questions (massive ending spoilers):

I only took Joy once (at the very end because the last gauntlet is loving impossible if you're in withdrawl). Does not taking it/taking it all the goddamn time affect the ending? FYI my ending was Brad becomes a mutant and eats Buddy.
Is there any way to get past the blob of flesh on the resort island?
Any way to get into the Joy lab in the suburban area, or to fight the giant mutant in one of the basements that you can see from another basement?
Where are the fishmen?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I’m looking forward to playing this!

If you don't know, the developer made a previous title also called Lisa which was in the style of Yume Nikki and the various games that used it for influence, except horribly horribly hosed up. It was, well, interesting to say the least.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just fought and recruited a Tiger Man. That was a tough fight, but doable thanks to the plethora of debuffs I have access to. I've been pretty lucky with not losing many party members, and with that they do just seem to pile up. So don't anyone worry if you lose people cause it's easy enough to get more.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FZeroRacer posted:

If you don't know, the developer made a previous title also called Lisa which was in the style of Yume Nikki and the various games that used it for influence, except horribly horribly hosed up. It was, well, interesting to say the least.

You say that like Yume Nikki isn't hosed up itself.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hmmm.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Honestly I think every time this game has wanted me to feel something, I've felt it. It's such a refreshing experience going through a game that just hits every note it's going for.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
According to the creator, Terry Hintz is the best character in the game. Has anyone leveled him up enough to bear this out? Kinda tempted to see, but he sucks so bad at the beginning.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

InnercityGriot posted:

According to the creator, Terry Hintz is the best character in the game. Has anyone leveled him up enough to bear this out? Kinda tempted to see, but he sucks so bad at the beginning.

Possible alternative: he was being sarcastic.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I think he was being serious, Terry might be Magikarp.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
He said Terry is the best character in the game, he specifically did not say that he'll become the strongest character when he levels up, however, I leveled Terry up and I can confirm, Terry is the best character in the game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I love this music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nanomashoes posted:

Where are the fishmen?

They're somewhere in the area where somebody says they think they saw fishmen.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I bought the music off STEAM. I know I've already said this, but it is very good.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

This game is just brutal to play. Dark souls comparisons seem silly but it definitely compares in its ability to make me dread playing it, and then to make me feel great for overcoming a place that seemed previously impossible. But brutal emotionally as well. I think that the game's 'choice' aspects are really just a take down of how true choices in games nowadays are either totally irrelevant outside of a few lines of dialog, or often have some kind of 'best option/meet in the middle' that can be gamed if you know what you're doing. You can certainly game things in LISA to an extent, but thinking that you can make it through the game with a 'best ending' is the most punishing thing.

For those terry fans itt who are further along, without getting too spoilery, do you recommend keeping him in your party? I like him but every battle is so hard that I feel like using someone stronger all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It really is a brutal depressing game. Which is why I kind of like it. A breath of fresh misery!

The amount of times I accidentally killed Brad by just over peddling that bike over a ledge is still pretty hilarious though.

• Locked thread