Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BillmasterCozb posted:

http://i.imgur.com/5RtbpTF.jpg (Spoilers? Click if you want to see, it was too big to embed here) Why do I keep seeing this guy? I saw him on a cliff in the first area..

He plays the trumpet in the hub areas for you. Its rather nice of him to give you music, don't you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Le bad fashion trumpet man is a reddit meme that got put in thanks to a kickstarter backer.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

BillmasterCozb posted:

http://i.imgur.com/5RtbpTF.jpg (Spoilers? Click if you want to see, it was too big to embed here) Why do I keep seeing this guy? I saw him on a cliff in the first area..

lol

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

He's probably not important, I wouldn't pay him any further attention

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know who was important? Wally. Also, Buckets is pretty good..when he isn't suffering from loving joy withdrawal.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 28, 2015

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

quote:

I mean, Brad just beats up Hawke and you can even talk to him after. In fact his gang thanks you for taking him down a peg because he's kind of a jerk. Same with Buff Van Dyke's gang. The Devil's Bath House Boys you do kill, though.

I agree sexism is a part of it but there is absolutely a difference between Brad killing people for being in his way (which is awful and horrible) and Buddy's explicit goal being finding people to go and kill.

Well I meant moreso that he destroys their gangs. Killing is just a bonus. Also I killed Buffalo in my last playthrough by taking him to endgame, so I'm a jerk.

There is absolutely a difference between Brad's way of killing and Buddy's way of killing - but a big part of it is that they're different characters. Buddy was explicitly taught by Brad to kill people she doesn't trust. Add in the revelation that she is literally the most important human of all time and history holy poo poo and a drug that amplifies her intentions and you have someone who would either kill because it's necessary (which she does) or because it's convenient (which she also does). Frankly, I'd peg more of peoples dislike of Buddy on her gender and her past characterization than because it's somehow unthinkable compared to what Brad did. And I will admit her past characterization is at odds with her in LtJ (which is unequivocally a misstep on Ding's part)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Resort island sounds like a blast! Or not!

Edit: nope

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Not feeling good about the decision I made getting to area 2. Rip Fardy, there are no more tears where you are now :smith: . I mean mechanically it was absolutely the right choice, but still, drat.
Somehow got through the mandatory Russian Roulette completely unscathed though: Rooster will live to fight another day :unsmith:

e: overall I'm totally in love with this game, I guess I have a fondness for emotionally brutal, post-apocalyptic sad-dad games with great soundtracks (I loving loved Nier and The Last of Us was also pretty good-it's really interesting to directly compare the games actually, in particular how TLoU is probably the least emotionally devastating of the three* but also the least overtly humourous).

*which is sort of like being a bronze medal Olympiad

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 28, 2015

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Aw yes, I got Mike's belt buckle! It looks good on Brad.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I gotta say, whoever said that the game is hardest on the first third wasn't kidding; if you explore thoroughly enough Brad is like level 30 by endgame: glad Satan was there though, he was a fun fight (Fly, Olan and Harvey, for those curious: great mixture of sheer damage and status effects).

Also Peter broke the necks of both Shocklord and Mad Dog, and I had to reset. I cannot live in a world without Shocklord, he is all that is good in this dying world (rip Olan Harvey and Yazan though, you guys were a good party and I hate that I had to kill you twice because I hit Joy withdrawal seconds before fighting the final boss).

So yeah, onto the Joyful, which I'm told does away with things like "jokes" and "the ability to not take the drug that turns you into a Cronenberg monster". I like this game a lot, maybe even slightly more than Undertale, but it's been bad on my liver. Still feel kind of bad about recruiting Crisp by holding his boyfriend hostage than immediately having him turned into ground beef by a Joy mutant. :smith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ManlyGrunting posted:

So yeah, onto the Joyful, which I'm told does away with things like "jokes" and "the ability to not take the drug that turns you into a Cronenberg monster". I like this game a lot, maybe even slightly more than Undertale, but it's been bad on my liver. Still feel kind of bad about recruiting Crisp by holding his boyfriend hostage than immediately having him turned into ground beef by a Joy mutant. :smith:

Oh, you can still play The Joyful without using Joy, but it makes the game an agonizing slog. Dingaling expects the player to use Joy through The Joyful. He had enough people complaining that there weren't enough restorative items that he went back and added graffiti in the world to remind people to "USE JOY".

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Blind Sally posted:

he went back and added graffiti in the world to remind people to "USE JOY".

Which made people not want to use it! :eng101:

Just use it... :eng99:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Blind Sally posted:

Oh, you can still play The Joyful without using Joy, but it makes the game an agonizing slog. Dingaling expects the player to use Joy through The Joyful. He had enough people complaining that there weren't enough restorative items that he went back and added graffiti in the world to remind people to "USE JOY".
Yeah, I'm thankful to take it with no consequence. The first set of bosses I got through without Joy, but the second set have ridiculously high HP counts and Dusty leaves your team so with Buddy alone it could take virtually hours to defeat even one boss with no joy use.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Fat and Useless posted:

Which made people not want to use it! :eng101:

Just use it... :eng99:

I got up to Big L before I used a single Joy, and I was able to push him down to near death before he smoked me.

Use the loving Joy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I got through the entire game without popping a single Joy pill. I am the dumb. It's me.

Seriously, you need to be ridiculously meticulous with your healing items and pretty lucky with crits to even get past Big Lincoln without drug abuse. It's not worth the moral victory.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I had a whole bunch of horse jerky because it was the only thing I bought in the game, and I'm really good with timing my attacks, so Joy usage wasn't really a problem for me.

It is weird that after the Painful drills it into you to NEVER use joy because of the awful things it does, the Joyful says "the gently caress, you're not using joy? Idiot, just shove it in your mouth and you're good to go!"

But I did use it one time, during the fight before Gallows.

WHY DID I HAVE TO KILL GARY THE HOT SOUP? This game has turned me into a bigger monster than any joy mutant could ever be..

Oh, also, I bought the art + music thing, how do I access it?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The joy issue in Joyful was because everybody was expecting a different ending if you didn't use any joy in it.

Music is located in the LISA steam folder I think
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\LISA

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Golden Goat posted:

The joy issue in Joyful was because everybody was expecting a different ending if you didn't use any joy in it.

Music is located in the LISA steam folder I think
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\LISA

Which is a poor lesson to get from playing The Painful, given Brad's ending and Buddy already being hooked on it by then. Use all drugs, don't deny what you will become, it is out of your hands.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I mean, The Painful doesn't even really say "don't use joy." People just feel guilty if Brad continues to take drugs and so they don't do it. There's a small incentive to try it out, given the extra ending, but otherwise, Joy is a pretty useful tool for maxing out damage of a number of characters.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Which is a poor lesson to get from playing The Painful, given Brad's ending and Buddy already being hooked on it by then. Use all drugs, don't deny what you will become, it is out of your hands.

"It's too late to fight it."

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Brad had reasons to both use and avoid joy while Buddy spends a majority of the game having zero qualms about giving in and going on benders.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Finished my second run, Pain Mode on. I got to say, it wasn't all that bad. The worst part was exploding save points, since I had moments where I goofed and fell off the screen and had to redo entire portions of the game because I couldn't get to a save point before then. Otherwise it's not so awful.

The ending you get with Dusty for it all is really brutal though. I'm glad Joyful partly focused on Rando's development as well as Buddy's.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Blind Sally posted:

I mean, The Painful doesn't even really say "don't use joy." People just feel guilty if Brad continues to take drugs and so they don't do it. There's a small incentive to try it out, given the extra ending, but otherwise, Joy is a pretty useful tool for maxing out damage of a number of characters.

Yeah, this. My second run through Painful, I saved up Joy for really lovely fights, and used it with wild abandon, especially when I lost the second arm.

EDIT: keeping the quoted text as a testament to my inability to pay attention.

That scene (the Marty fight) is also never referenced again. Others aren't, either, but...

Oh, right, and for clarity on an earlier post: I'm honestly not sure why I thought Marty gave Buddy joy, or encouraged the habit? See above on how split my playthrough was in the first place.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 8, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Old Boot posted:

That scene is also never referenced again. Others aren't, either, but...

i thought buddy later says "a real loving father wouldn't have done what you did to marty" or something later on

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

ninjewtsu posted:

i thought buddy later says "a real loving father wouldn't have done what you did to marty" or something later on

It's something like 'Only a monster could have done that to him,' but Buddy does reference it later.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well, beat the Joyful. Holy poo poo, it was really good but god drat.
:smithicide:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Finished the Painful. I've got to say, there's a certain twinge of satisfaction you get every time Brad literally fights off his Joy cravings, even if it's all for nothing in the end. :smith:

I really liked Buzzo as a character, even with how much pain he puts Brad through -- he had very strong convictions, and seemed to believe he was doing it all to punish Brad. When it came time to choose whether to give up Brad's entire party or let Buzzo hurt Buddy, he even freaked out and called Brad a little poo poo for choosing to give up his friends instead, and made him confirm his decision. It almost felt like Buzzo was trying to force Brad to admit that Buddy was never his, that he wasn't meant to protect Buddy at all. If not for him being so willing to cut up Buddy, I'd have thought Buzzo was related to her somehow, and was getting back at Brad for stealing her from him.

Is it ever explained what Buzzo is talking about when he says that Buddy could have been an asset with the other women?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Is it ever explained what Buzzo is talking about when he says that Buddy could have been an asset with the other women?

Dingaling drastically changed his plans for LtJ between finishing LtP and finishing LtJ. IMO it turned out for the worse, but who knows.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Anatharon posted:

Dingaling drastically changed his plans for LtJ between finishing LtP and finishing LtJ. IMO it turned out for the worse, but who knows.

What was the original plan? Is it online anywhere?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ro5s posted:

What was the original plan? Is it online anywhere?

The rough idea is Buddy would've been more focused on trying to figure out her own origins after disowning Brad as her father. There was more to it, but that was the elevator pitch basically.

I asked him about it on Steam and he didn't go into any more detail. It'd be fascinating to see his earlier story drafts.

On a different note, he's posted his first bit of concept art for his next game, tenatively called Ninja Tears.

It won't be pixel-y like LISA, it'll be HD.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm not entirely sure what to make of it but I like it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Going through Pain mode right now

The only real kick in the dick was the roulette :shepicide:

fourteen times in a row

without anyone dying

So I thought "gently caress it", and got out with only Beastman and Percy dying. But hey, Buckets is still a bucket of fun! Except for Joy Withdrawl. Good thing the mutants are plentiful

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What was changed in updates that made LTJ easier? I must've imagined Rando sticking around.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

RareAcumen posted:

What was changed in updates that made LTJ easier? I must've imagined Rando sticking around.

not even close

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

RareAcumen posted:

More combat skills, most notably a sleep bomb.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
A literal "Easy Mode".

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Also a mend skill for Buddy I think? That's new, isn't it?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blind Sally posted:

A literal """"""""""Easy Mode"""""""""".

Sorry, I realized there should be more quotations around it.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014
Easy mode really made up for any issues I had with the rest of Joyful's tone.

"I'm a big mean boy! And you've been acting like a real downer. Not really relationship material."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
In my first run I shunned easy mode because I didn't need that crap.

In my second run I thought "eh what the hell" and feel foolish for shunning it before.

• Locked thread