Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Blind is incredibly useful for mitigating damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I think someone was asking about the "..." achievement before. I just got it; after you kill Rando, walk to the left instead of to the right, and you'll come across the trumpeter/Dr. Yado. if you walk close enough to him you'll unlock it.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Fibby Boy posted:

Dude has wiped my party each and every time I go there and it's getting old.

Do you have anyone who can cast Weird? I know Bo has it, it lowers the damage he does.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is there a way to rebind keys? The down arrow on my netbook doesn't work and it doesn't have a numpad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is there a way to rebind keys? The down arrow on my netbook doesn't work and it doesn't have a numpad.

F1.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cool beans, thanks. Time to actually play this.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Actually, looking at it, I'm not sure if you can rebind the arrow keys. Might want to ask on its steam discussion page, the developer's pretty active there.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In the swamp, fishman court is the highlight of the game, oh my god. :allears:

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Well, I beat it, finally. That end sure is something. I think the decision to take Brad's last choice out of your hands is perfect, you can't spare Marty because you're fully within the grips of the drug at that point, literally turning into a monster. The fight with my party members was so sad, they spent turns not wanting to do anything as I firebombed them to hell. I also kind of liked that Rando was a relatively good dude in the game. Not sure if I'm seeing things or not, but the very last scene after the credits, when mutant-Brad is creeping up on Buddy, it looks like she might be sleeping next to a sword? Next game opens with her killing Brad, I bet. Dour stuff.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

InnercityGriot posted:

Well, I beat it, finally. That end sure is something. I think the decision to take Brad's last choice out of your hands is perfect, you can't spare Marty because you're fully within the grips of the drug at that point, literally turning into a monster. The fight with my party members was so sad, they spent turns not wanting to do anything as I firebombed them to hell. I also kind of liked that Rando was a relatively good dude in the game. Not sure if I'm seeing things or not, but the very last scene after the credits, when mutant-Brad is creeping up on Buddy, it looks like she might be sleeping next to a sword? Next game opens with her killing Brad, I bet. Dour stuff.

More ending spoilers or it starts with mutant Brad being your first party member! He will get a chance to redeem himself. Right? Right... :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just some more end game stuff related to the stuff above.

There is a pile of joy next to her. I hope the tiny flame of good that turned into the crazy self fury tells him to OD on it. It is all kind of hosed up, but the dude was doomed from the start when he accidentally hurt Buddy dropping her as baby. This game :smith:.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dude was doomed long before that, since taking even a tiny bit of Joy is enough to guarantee you'll transform into a mutant at some point.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There's an alternate build you can opt into that may be better. Haven't tried it myself.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/335670/discussions/0/626329821050064879/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Genocyber posted:

Dude was doomed long before that, since taking even a tiny bit of Joy is enough to guarantee you'll transform into a mutant at some point.

And you spend a lot of the game putting Joy Mutants out of their misery. Oh LISA such a fun game!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Picked this game up yesteday on a whim, and man is it much much better than what I had expected.

I was wondering though, is it possible to get Demon X to join my party somehow?
Also, man why do the best teammates have to be joyheads(Dojo Buster :().

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of messed up that Brad's the only joy addict that has a magic attack to fall back on.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm really liking Jack. He's got a super cheap single attack spell which seems to be guaranteed burn, and an amazing AoE attack. And best of all, he's not an addict.

Damnit, of course Clint is an addict.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 22, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jack's normal attack also has an ok chance to cause bleeding.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can I do anything with the "Thou art God" guy? He seems unique enough to actually have some sort of purpose.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Can I do anything with the "Thou art God" guy? He seems unique enough to actually have some sort of purpose.

AFAIK, nope.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I think if you're doing a Joyful run, the Joy addict party members are still so goddamn useful that it makes up for the occasional need to dope up. Buckets and especially Tiger Man start kinda slow but get absolutely destructive in the late game, and Carp is almost game-breaking. However, when in doubt, you should be using Geese.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Buckets is cool but it's sort of boring how everything he does is just a single target attack with no side effects and out of all of them the best is the triple shot that he starts off with.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is Garth worth leveling up at all? He seems like he could become a great support character, and he looks cool, but at the moment he is mediocre at best.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
He's okay, he's basically a single target debuffer, but I think of the buff/debuff characters available, he's definitely at the low end of the usefulness spectrum. Bo and Birdie are both better. You can pretty much beat the game with whoever you want, though, I think the difficulty of the game spikes at the the Charmy fight and is actually not too difficult by the third area, just use who you like.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
How do you get to the basement area of the whorehouse? There's an item in one of the rooms down there...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Relin posted:

How do you get to the basement area of the whorehouse? There's an item in one of the rooms down there...

Drop down onto a barrel in one of the rooms.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Anatharon posted:

e: I accidently quit without saving is there any way to skip the massively long intro?

This. I just quit out without knowing I needed to use a save point and am dreading sitting through it all over again- this game seems really cool so due to Goon praise I'm going to tough through it. Any tips for someone going into the game?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

This. I just quit out without knowing I needed to use a save point and am dreading sitting through it all over again- this game seems really cool so due to Goon praise I'm going to tough through it. Any tips for someone going into the game?

Make a backup save of the first save point, so if you decide to play again you can just skip the intro.

Losing party members may seem like a downer, but there are plenty of guys out there you can convince to help you.

Get a full party as soon as you can. It's dangerous out there, and there's only so much you can do alone.

Don't just stick with the same three guys. Experiment!

If a character is suffering from Joy withdrawal, it will fade with time. You can end it sooner by resting or taking Joy. Taking Joy will also put you in a Joyed stated, buffing all your stats and making all of your attacks crit.

If OTOH you take no Joy at all (not just for Brad, for for anyone) you'll get some extra dialogue at the end of the game (similar to Metal Gear's post-credits dialogue).

Status effects are king. Enemies either do so little damage that they're barely a threat, or do so much they'll oneshot/nearly oneshot you. So you can make them Cry to ruin their accuracy, or Piss them off and possibly make them attack themselves. Damage over time status effects (bleed, poison, and fire) do damage based on the enemy's maximum HP. They are your bread and butter against enemies with large health pools (read: most bosses).

You might want to consider opting in to the alternate windows build (not needed if on Mac/Linux, since the alt. Windows build is what they use). It seems to perform slightly better and has a config file with more options (mkxp.conf in the game's directory); most notably resolution and the ability to turn off the smoothing filter (which makes things look blurrier when the screen is large).

Be wary of Terry's good looks! They are dangerously appealing!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Firebombs and other combat items are extremely good and shouldn't be wasted but at the same time don't be afraid to use them horrible monsters, especially before you get partners who can cause status effects reliably.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think I've got all of Terry's skills. Assesment of the last ones:

I don't know if Super cool Pose does anything different than Cool Pose, his last two knuckdrops are actually decent in damage; Rage's Final Head Rush does something like 1,500 without any crits and Terry does about 900 or so. Hottest dance is pretty good; It's like 2.2k damage. He's also got Last Cheer which is a huge heal, but makes the target cry which can be a problem.

Also about Russian Roulette. In the mandatory first three rounds what happens if everyone other than Brad is dead? Do you get a free ride?

Devour or Fire posted:

It's sort of messed up that Brad's the only joy addict that has a magic attack to fall back on.

You're forced to use him, though.

Also he can lose both his arms so he'd be potentially effectively unusable without them.

InnercityGriot posted:

He's okay, he's basically a single target debuffer, but I think of the buff/debuff characters available, he's definitely at the low end of the usefulness spectrum. Bo and Birdie are both better. You can pretty much beat the game with whoever you want, though, I think the difficulty of the game spikes at the the Charmy fight and is actually not too difficult by the third area, just use who you like.

The third area also gives you a place to grind to ensure you can't get stuck by being too weak. Shadowy Figures are also good for early game if you're having trouble. You might need to grind a bit for the third area, the final and first fight in the public bath are pretty brutal if you don't have any TNT or Diesal Firebombs left.

InnercityGriot posted:

Killing Rando was one of the moments I legit felt really bad. BEfore the fight I realized who he was...

Genocyber posted:

Status effects are king. Enemies either do so little damage that they're barely a threat, or do so much they'll oneshot/nearly oneshot you. So you can make them Cry to ruin their accuracy, or Piss them off and possibly make them attack themselves. Damage over time status effects (bleed, poison, and fire) do damage based on the enemy's maximum HP. They are your bread and butter against enemies with large health pools (read: most bosses).

I think bosses are immune, or at least resistant to tripping and stunning however.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 23, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I think bosses are immune, or at least resistant to tripping and stunning however.

Depends. Most multi-enemy bosses can be stunned or tripped, and some single-target ones can be as well.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fly got nerfed because his vomit move caused two different hard ccs almost 100% of the time on everything.

fuepi fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 23, 2014

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Where is the Bard party member? I've found the record but not him.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bluemidget posted:

Where is the Bard party member? I've found the record but not him.

The swamp.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I got the Joyless ending.

Jesus christ.

That changes... Everything?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Killing Rando was one of the moments I legit felt really bad. BEfore the fight I realized who he was...

He's the kid Brad taught martial arts to for free, right? Also, I completely forgot who the guy cutting up Lisa's face was.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

spoilers

That guy is Sticky's Dad, if you walk left you can see him at the very intro of the game after you get your rear end beat. You see him again when he says he's looking for Tony, and then Brad later calls Sticky Tony during the showdown between Brad, Rick, and Sticky.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I just finished the game ( Wow, what a nice and happy ending), but there was a couple of things I never resolved during the game.

How do you recruit the super drunk guy? I Know where he is but not what he wants.
Is there anything at all at the resort island? I got to the top, and all there was was a tv with Marty's head sticking out of.
What's up with the horse mask dude in the public baths? He doesn't seem to want to talk to me.
I found a locked door at the end of the creep village, is there any way to open it?
How do you recruit the ghoul guy in the swamp? I see there's an achievement for him.

Absolutely great game all around, and I'm gonna play through again for the Joyless ending. The amount of unique followers should make replaying pretty fun as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Who the hell was Buzzo? At first I thought he was some manifestation of Brad's Joy addiction, but then he and his men began fighting the Rando army and manifestations usually don't do that. He seemed to be really mad at Brad for some reason. Does it have to do with the baby in the room next to yours in the beginning?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 23, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

So I just finished the game ( Wow, what a nice and happy ending), but there was a couple of things I never resolved during the game.

How do you recruit the super drunk guy? I Know where he is but not what he wants.
Is there anything at all at the resort island? I got to the top, and all there was was a tv with Marty's head sticking out of.
What's up with the horse mask dude in the public baths? He doesn't seem to want to talk to me.
I found a locked door at the end of the creep village, is there any way to open it?
How do you recruit the ghoul guy in the swamp? I see there's an achievement for him.

Absolutely great game all around, and I'm gonna play through again for the Joyless ending. The amount of unique followers should make replaying pretty fun as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Who the hell was Buzzo? At first I thought he was some manifestation of Brad's Joy addiction, but then he and his men began fighting the Rando army and manifestations usually don't do that. He seemed to be really mad at Brad for some reason. Does it have to do with the baby in the room next to yours in the beginning?

In order

Olathian whisky

As far as I know? It's just interesting.

Kickstarter related apparently.

Not asfar as anyone knows

Which one?

and The Joyless Ending will.. Well, add to it.

Nanomashoes posted:

He's the kid Brad taught martial arts to for free, right?

That's what I gathered. The kid looked pretty messed up, as did Rando. He also calls him "Master Armstrong" and uses Brad's techniques, as well as crying the first time he encountered Brad. Lastly he held a selfless attitude as the younger Brad seemed to before he was completely broken.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Thanks, that explains some of it, but I still don't understand Buzzo's motivations. If you ask him why he's doing this when he takes your other arm/all your items he calls you a murderer, and says that "You killed her". Who exactly is that referring to? The joyless bonus scene doesn't seem to explain this.

• Locked thread