Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hulk hooligan posted:

Every fresh update is a time for reflection on how limited the base game is.

KSP has made me appreciate having the option to lock the game to a version and have versioning control over the mods I install. I started playing ARK again recently and god drat is it cancer if an update comes out before your server gets it. If I could tell it to only update when I say update, and only update workshop content when I say update it, life would be better.

This also applies to Rimworld, a Better Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

So, I haven't played in a while...did they move Revert To Launch/VAB? I can't find it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The offset tool is a huge game-changer once you realize everything you can do with it. Especially for landers - you can clip 90% of an engine into a fuel tank to get a much more compact/shorter ship, clip instruments and other modules inside your capsule, all sorts of tricks.

But clipping an engine into a fuel tank is cheating, you see.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zurui posted:

So, I haven't played in a while...did they move Revert To Launch/VAB? I can't find it.

It should be under the escape key menu. If you've already quick-saved and loaded a save, it'll be disabled.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ksp enhanced edition was on sale on the xbox one so i bought it for the gently caress of it.

holy poo poo this control scheme is making me crazy how the gently caress does anyone play this game this way. gonna gently caress around long enough to get all the achievements and then prolly never play this version again lmfao.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

ksp enhanced edition was on sale on the xbox one so i bought it for the gently caress of it.

holy poo poo this control scheme is making me crazy how the gently caress does anyone play this game this way. gonna gently caress around long enough to get all the achievements and then prolly never play this version again lmfao.

And y'all made fun of me for slamming my head against space planes.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
New Version means new career save. Thus far I have only explored Kerbin and its satellites, and have fired my first mission out to Duna as I have just entered the first transfer window. Unrelated to that:

8 tourists wanted to orbit/land on the mun/minmus in various combinations.

This is the Ibn Sina, a ferry that turns mun/minmus tourism into one long tour.

You start by boarding a rocket at ksc that will rendezvous with the Ibn Sina.

(note, the above picture is actually of an earlier model ferry that I have since de orbited because it needed some improvements)

Once the ship is attached by the fuel tank, your pod is flown by remote control into its docking port on the ferry, where you can then board the spacious cabin.

From there, you're flown to a low orbit of the mun. All tourists get an ample opportunity to see the beautiful munar surface from low orbit. Those who paid a premium rate get to board the mun lander and see the scenery up close

Once everyone's back from their expeditions, the tour flies over to Minmus, which I'll screencap later because it takes 10 days to make that hop.

That's 10 days I can be doing important science.

(it's no spaceplane, but it's very good at snapping up temperature readings above 20,000km)

Also, you might notice in the first image that there's only two pods. Three of the kerbals only paid to see the mun, and not minmus, so they were sent off in the minmus transfer.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 8, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Warmachine posted:

And y'all made fun of me for slamming my head against space planes.

excuse me sir but i'll have you know that i fuckin love spaceplanes and always encourage others to use them as much as possible :colbert:

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
If I had a game going on the previous version, can I still continue that game and get access to all the new stuff ?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I alway hide batteries and rcs tanks using the move tool.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

why would you do any of this

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zero One posted:

I alway hide batteries and rcs tanks using the move tool.

Inter-stage fairings make for good service modules. If you don't have Universal Storage anyway. And even then, there's some stuff that is just awkward to fit into their parts. Just throw it in a fairing, allow inter-stage nodes, and disable staging for that part.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Arglebargle III posted:

why would you do any of this

decided to give it a try because my right wrist and shoulder have been super hosed lately so figured why not give it a spin on controllers. after all i adjusted to playing fps games on console like a decade ago, how bad could it be?

real bad, as it turns out

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
how do i time a launch for optimal space station rendevous?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

My Spirit Otter posted:

how do i time a launch for optimal space station rendevous?

It's very rare in real life to do a direct launch to an orbital craft. It's pretty difficult to do it in KSP, too.

Generally, I will ascend to 20-30km above or below the station, and Hohmann transfer to it once I've reached orbit.

I have a habit of keeping my stations around an orbit of 100-120km, so I can launch vehicles into 70-80km and Hohmann right away.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man this game is good. ive also installed ckan and installed a bunch of mods. anyone know any good part packs that work with the newest version?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Had a really shabby mun landing with the mun lander on my ferry. I didn't have enough fuel on the lander for it to get itself back into Mun orbit.

It did, however, have enough fuel for me to fire the lander in an arc for the ferry to then intercept on its sub orbital trajectory.

Once I'd used the engines on the Ibn Sina to bring our relative speed down, what we were then left with was a time-limited docking maneuver. I had to push these together before they both smashed into the ground.

It looks like we were nice and high, but there's an easy way to get a rough ETA on your certain death in these situations.

Fortunately the maneuver was a success, but the ship's liberal application of thrust throughout the maneuver, and in re entering orbit, left it with only 32m/s to spare while in a mun orbit. Thankfully, the ferry was only flying with 3 people aboard at this time.

Once filled with the remaining fuel from the ferry, the mun lander on its own had enough delta V to hit Kerbin's atmosphere. Unfortunately, the mun lander doesn't have a parachute, so I needed to dock the ship's re-entry pod to the mun lander. The extra weight meant it was 70 m/s short of hitting the air, even after I had undocked the re-entry pod from the mun lander and used its monopropellant as an extra stage.

That meant launching a probe to intercept the pod as it flew past kerbin.

Like so

The probe packed enough Delta V to burn retrograde immediately after docking, bringing the crew down to Kerbin within 5 hours of first separating from the ferry.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 10, 2020

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i have a satellite that won't allow me to throttle. i have communications with the satellite, its not hibernating, the engine is activated, and it has an electric charge. having it float around isn't the end of the world, as ive already recovered the lifter, which was the bulk of the expense.

Otacon posted:

It's very rare in real life to do a direct launch to an orbital craft. It's pretty difficult to do it in KSP, too.

Generally, I will ascend to 20-30km above or below the station, and Hohmann transfer to it once I've reached orbit.

I have a habit of keeping my stations around an orbit of 100-120km, so I can launch vehicles into 70-80km and Hohmann right away.

much appreciated.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

i have a satellite that won't allow me to throttle. i have communications with the satellite, its not hibernating, the engine is activated, and it has an electric charge. having it float around isn't the end of the world, as ive already recovered the lifter, which was the bulk of the expense.

Did you leave warp on?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

neg

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Try changing the control point?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Are any of its fuel tanks empty? If so, move the fuel to the empty tanks.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

If it's a deploy-able antenna, is it deployed?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Had a really shabby mun landing with the mun lander on my ferry. I didn't have enough fuel on the lander for it to get itself back into Mun orbit.

It did, however, have enough fuel for me to fire the lander in an arc for the ferry to then intercept on its sub orbital trajectory.

Once I'd used the engines on the Ibn Sina to bring our relative speed down, what we were then left with was a time-limited docking maneuver. I had to push these together before they both smashed into the ground.

It looks like we were nice and high, but there's an easy way to get a rough ETA on your certain death in these situations.

Fortunately the maneuver was a success, but the ship's liberal application of thrust throughout the maneuver, and in re entering orbit, left it with only 32m/s to spare while in a mun orbit. Thankfully, the ferry was only flying with 3 people aboard at this time.

Once filled with the remaining fuel from the ferry, the mun lander on its own had enough delta V to hit Kerbin's atmosphere. Unfortunately, the mun lander doesn't have a parachute, so I needed to dock the ship's re-entry pod to the mun lander. The extra weight meant it was 70 m/s short of hitting the air, even after I had undocked the re-entry pod from the mun lander and used its monopropellant as an extra stage.

Like so

The probe packed enough Delta V to burn retrograde immediately after docking, bringing the crew down to Kerbin within 5 hours of first separating from the ferry.

These are some of the most Kerbal mission logs, given how things go wrong and the hasty improv that follows. Your commitment to this is commendable.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Flew my first orbital spaceplane of the new career save today. It's a thing that's just about capable of getting 2 kerbals into orbit.

It only recovers 14k of its original 33k cost upon landing. That 19k loss is almost double the entire cost of my cheapest traditional orbital rocket, that goes for 10k. Said rocket can get 3 kerbals up into orbit with enough left over to fly by the mun.

At the moment, space planes suck.

Warmachine posted:

Your commitment to this is commendable.

Thanks. I have a lot of fun in this game.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Like so

Its stuff like this that makes KSP my favorite game ever.

Its also why I use KIS/KAS and bring extra junk along-- you never know when you may need to bolt an extra parachute onto a craft!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Flew my first orbital spaceplane of the new career save today. It's a thing that's just about capable of getting 2 kerbals into orbit.

It only recovers 14k of its original 33k cost upon landing. That 19k loss is almost double the entire cost of my cheapest traditional orbital rocket, that goes for 10k. Said rocket can get 3 kerbals up into orbit with enough left over to fly by the mun.

Thanks. I have a lot of fun in this game.

That is very low for a 2-seater. Are you dumping drop tanks or boosters or something? And you're hitting the runway right?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm not sure how it's that expensive? I can get 44 to 64 tons orange tank diameter cargo into a 100k orbit for around ~6k total fuel costs plus the cost of the payload on a reusable SSTO that takes off from and lands on the runway. And that things is a fat pig. Remote only, no actual pilot.

14 tons of cargo from the runway on my medium SSTO costs about ~1500 in actual launch costs if memory serves as long as i put it back on the runway. Also remote only but it's trivial to put seats in the cargo as MK1 modules.

A single kerbal for an orbital contract or rescue on my small SSTO runs ~400-500 kerbucks by remote.

For your costs you are either dropping tanks and more likely engines, meaning it's not an SSTO, or not putting it down nowhere near the spaceport. Beyond that I cannot fathom how it's costing you 19k to get a space plane into orbit. Space planes are only really cost efficient of they are Single Stage to Orbit and drop no parts at all, and you land them back on (or near) the runway..

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 12, 2020

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
it drops two units made of three mk0 fuel tanks and two small nosecones in the syle of a fighter jet, costing a total of 1960 on top of fuel costs. As for distance, I was in the ocean between the desert and the mainland where the KSC is.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 12, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Azza Bamboo posted:

it drops two units made of three mk0 fuel tanks and two small nosecones in the syle of a fighter jet, costing a total of 1960 on top of fuel costs. As for distance, I was in the ocean between the desert and the mainland where the KSC is.

if you are not landing your spaceplane at the ksc you are totally defeating the purpose of using a spaceplane

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there some procedure to get it to the KSC every time in stock? I don't know how to estimate the point of arrival from de orbiting.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if you are not landing your spaceplane at the ksc you are totally defeating the purpose of using a spaceplane

And while I've certainly used drop tanks before, I highly advise against them if your goal is cost. Drop tanks are when you give up trying to find the balance between wet mass, thrust, and cargo capacity.

Rule of thumb for hitting the KSC is to start reentry on the other side of the world and keep an eye on your splashdown point. Ideally you want it to be somewhere just east of the KSC, and fine tune it with your drag body as you hit the thicker atmosphere. You have a glide profile so use it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If I was on one of my sandbox saves, I could just do what I usually do and have an SSTO with enough liquid fuel left over on re entry to fly back to KSC.

On a career save trying to fly afterburners with soviet style rocket engines? That's where I'm having difficulty. This orbiter just barely claws itself into orbit.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

All I needed to do was start from scratch.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

There ya go. Welcome to space planes, hope you don't have a job, a partner, or any kids.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Azza Bamboo posted:

i recommend the inline cockpit, the regular mk1 is a piece of poo poo when it comes to re-entry and i hate it

which is a shame since it looks way the gently caress better than the inline but oh well

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

today's adventure was learning that the new extending docking tube doesn't actually, you know, have a docking port on the end.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You mean the inflatable airlock? It connects to a junior sized docking ring.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Azza Bamboo posted:

You just saved this contractually-mandated frankenstation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Which is a silly thing. Never have I ever needed a nubby extension like that to safely dock something that uses a Jr port. The only reason my interplanetary ship uses the sponsons is to keep the little worker pods away from the spinning ring and provide a place to weld the giant radiator panels. And they look cool.