Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Got this game on the Steam Sale. Having a devil of a time getting these ships to rendezvous. Who knew rocket science could be so hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

sullat posted:

Got this game on the Steam Sale. Having a devil of a time getting these ships to rendezvous. Who knew rocket science could be so hard?

That's often considered the hardest part of the game, so if that's the only thing you're struggling with then I'd say you're doing fine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Azza Bamboo posted:

space planes suck.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
there's corner gas memes now? :psyduck:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

sullat posted:

Rendezvous is easy, it's stopping in time that's the hard part :v:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Count Roland posted:

That's often considered the hardest part of the game, so if that's the only thing you're struggling with then I'd say you're doing fine.

Well, I haven't been able to land on the Mun yet. That's like rendezvousing with the ground, right? Also Jed and Valentina are dead although the last was kind of predictable since I wanted to see what would happen if someone did am EVA during the descent.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

sullat posted:

Well, I haven't been able to land on the Mun yet. That's like rendezvousing with the ground, right? Also Jed and Valentina are dead although the last was kind of predictable since I wanted to see what would happen if someone did am EVA during the descent.

You're gonna fit in here just fine :jeb:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The main ones don't die, they just go home. They'll be back sometime.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

sullat posted:

Well, I haven't been able to land on the Mun yet.

Strong advice: Land on Minmus first, Mun second. Minmus is, in my opinion, the far easier of the two to use for your first landing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Strong advice: Land on Minmus first, Mun second. Minmus is, in my opinion, the far easier of the two to use for your first landing.

It's more forgiving of loving up the landing, and cheaper overall. The trip is longer (only matters if you're playing with life support) and the reentry is steeper assuming you're not circularizing on the way back (why would you).

It's also made of mint ice cream, which is a major point in its favor.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Minmus is the gold standard for a non-kerbin launch facility as well. Really the perfect little moon.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

when coming back to kerbin from the mun or minmus, do you guys usually do a few passes airbreaking or just dive right in

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can do whatever you want, but diving right in takes the least amount of time.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

queeb posted:

when coming back to kerbin from the mun or minmus, do you guys usually do a few passes airbreaking or just dive right in

Upon entering back into Kerbin's SOI, change PE to 30km, timewarp to 70km and jump on in, the water is nice and warm

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

queeb posted:

As long as you aim for the atmosphere rather than the ground, you should be fine. Heatshields and multiple passes are moreso for interplanetary travel and thick atmospheres (thinking of you, Eve!)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Also really heavy rockets if you piled them with unnecessary garbage like "extra passenger space"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Also really heavy rockets if you piled them with unnecessary garbage like "extra passenger space"

Strap a lawn chair to the side like a real Kerbal.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Warmachine posted:

Strap a lawn chair to the side like a real Kerbal.

Just put it in a thermal control roll during reentry and no single part will get hot enough to explode. Probably.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Just put it in a thermal control roll during reentry and no single part will get hot enough to explode. Probably.

Is that a real thing or a kerbal thing?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Pretty normal in kerbal

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I don't know about just doing a roll to even out heating like in KSP, but now that I think about it Apollo capsules did do a little zoom climb maneuver during reentry to reduce the load on the heat shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTKHqfloB7Q&t=901s

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ikanreed posted:

If you've got enough pieces on the outside of your rocket and enough control authority to do it stably, it seems to be at least possible in KSP, though the effectiveness probably isn't that high and the design requirements are probably non-trivial. I've seen the temperature gauges zooming up and down as my less-stable ships tumble back and forth through the atmosphere trying desperately to keep their heading.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Apollo also did a slow roll a lot of the time so the Sun would heat the spacecraft evenly

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ikanreed posted:

It's a least a kerbal thing. I've done it once or twice when I got concerned about overheating a spaceplane. I'm going to come out of it at something like 20km, so I have plenty of time to work out of the stall before hitting the ground.

...probably.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fun fact air brakes can be yaw and pitch axis control surfaces if you enable it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I wish things like atmospheric heating and antenna ranges weren't effectively dependent on a mixture of guesswork and trial-and-error until you've done it enough times to develop a gut feeling about it, especially since they're both largely tied to interplanetary flights that already have a lot more time, planning, and resources invested into them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Main Paineframe posted:

I wish things like atmospheric heating and antenna ranges weren't effectively dependent on a mixture of guesswork and trial-and-error until you've done it enough times to develop a gut feeling about it, especially since they're both largely tied to interplanetary flights that already have a lot more time, planning, and resources invested into them.

You can calculate the range quite easily. Two seconds with a calculator.

Square root of (power 1 in watts * power 2 in watts) in meters.

With the 250G full upgrade of tracking station, you can almost, but not quite, reach across kerbin's full orbit to a 2G sattelite
2G*250G=500GG
Sqrt(500GG)=22ish GM(Kerbin's apoapsis is 15GM and periapsis is 13GM.)

The math going the other way is easy too.

Required Power = (Max Range in meters)^2/250,000,000,000

Heating otoh is a real world hard problem, that I think real engineers solve by simulating. You're already playing the simulator.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Managed to get them both (once I remembered to put my landing gear down).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

sullat posted:

But did you manage to get back?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Consider this sort of body shape for landers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFBeVQ3STZ0

I find that not losing the mission to a tipped-over lander outweighs the efficiency loss of multiple engines.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

sullat posted:

I want to see a video of that takeoff and return!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

sullat posted:

I saw a video of someone using an airbrake to lift their rocket from the "fallen over" position into a serviceable launch angle. If you expect to land on a slope, maybe consider that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zesty posted:

I saw a video of someone using an airbrake to lift their rocket from the "fallen over" position into a serviceable launch angle. If you expect to land on a slope, maybe consider that.

I've Evel Kenivaled myself off of cliffs to get a launch angle before, and also used rovers to prop my spacecraft up. :jeb:

One of my Duna landings didn't have enough torque to right itself with the reaction wheels, so instead I rolled my way to a suitable dune, poked the nose over the crest, and lit the fuse. I lost a bunch of poo poo in the process, but doesn't matter made orbit.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Consider this sort of body shape for landers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFBeVQ3STZ0

I find that not losing the mission to a tipped-over lander outweighs the efficiency loss of multiple engines.

it's really easy to put a 3x or 4x symmetry terrier configuration down on the mun or minmus directly on the engines. It'll fit around a stack of lander cans too if you want to take multiple people, and you can get all tucked in a 2.5m fairing pretty easy

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BitBasher posted:

I want to see a video of that takeoff and return!

Couldn't make it, skidded around for a while amd blew up. I gotta figure out how to build less top heavy landers. How do you build multiple sections at a time? Everything having to hook on to the command module gets tedious.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

This is what i usually fly to the mun the first time, more or less. Fairing not really necessary.

4x symmetry around the lander cans, there's a heat sink on the bottom and you can jettison those tanks if you want but you wont need to, it has like 2800dv in vacuum so the landing is usually partly powered.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Mun?

I'm doing a weird career save where I don't care so much about researching new parts and just use what I have to get where I'm going. I know that people have gotten far using only the starting tech, but I'm not that masochistic.

This was my first mun lander. It weighs too much for the level 1 launch pad, but it has exactly 30 parts so I didn't need to improve the VAB just yet. It does leave the lander in orbit, however, so you're not going to get "return from mun" contracts with this one...

... unless you put a parachute on the lander (a 31st part) and are careful about your descent and ascent efficiency. Then, if you back the lander very carefully into the atmosphere, you can just about land it without it burning up.

Here's the lander separating from the transfer rocket. I made this a flight for two so that we can have a Michael Collins esque figure steering the transfer rocket in case we need to rendezvous from the other side.

The trick to this particular lander is that its reaction wheels have the strength to pick it up on the mun. If it lands on a slope, just lay er down and use the reaction wheels to stop it rolling too fast, then wait for it to come to rest. Just remember that the lander battery is switched off at launch in order to prevent it from draining before we reach the mun.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 25, 2020

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Get in loser, we're going to Duna.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

It was on the edge of the Kerbin SOI that the drugs began to take hold...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Beepity Boop posted:

It was on the edge of the Kerbin SOI that the drugs began to take hold...

We had 2 tanks of O2, 75 units of RCS, 5 engines to feed, half an EVA’s worth of CO2 scrubber, and a whole other constellation of propellants, consumables, spare parts, and comms gear...and also a canister of FOOF, a container of plutonium, a pint of ClF3, and 2 dozen pure Nitrogen crystals. Not that we needed all that, but once :jeb: gets locked into a rocket fuel/parts collection, he tends to push it as far as he can.