Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It'd seem like it'd rather "easy" to do though, like checking what biomes a ship comes over in the next few orbits, queueing those up to add the science of those to a container on the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
Latest build of Parallax mod tweaks lighting:

Modders continue to amaze

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

OldMold posted:

Latest build of Parallax mod tweaks lighting:

Modders continue to amaze

Well I guess I'm installing some additional mods :captainpop:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Is there a mod that adds thinner fairing bases? They're so loving thick by default and it makes it harder to design good looking rockets with inline fairings, I wish it was possible to just add fairings to decouplers.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 22, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Is there a mod that adds thinner fairing bases? They're so loving thick by default and it makes it harder to design good looking rockets with inline fairings, I wish it was possible to just add fairings to decouplers.

I don't think I ever had a problem with the fairing bases being too thick. But maybe I just didn't care enough? "Looks right, flies right," was kinda the order of the day for me and I never worried quite too much about the ascent to LKO looking super shiny. Unless it was a space plane and I'd be stuck with it the whole mission profile.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The smallest fairing bases tend to be the worst offenders. The 2.5m fairing bases are fine (2.5m rockets are my bread and butter)

I don't think I've seen any mods that give you reduced height fairing bases. There are fairing mods (grandfathered-in from before stock fairings) that have similar height, if not taller fairing bases.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Are most mods downloaded outside of the Steam workshop? Trying to find some of the mods mentioned in the last few pages

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
CKAN is the major mod manager for KSP, pretty much every mod is on there.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah if you're not on CKAN, you're dead to me.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Are most mods downloaded outside of the Steam workshop? Trying to find some of the mods mentioned in the last few pages

Workshop really only has craft files last I checked - other people build crafts and you can load them and fly them.

Grab CKAN here: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases

Here's a CKAN tutorial here, about halfway down the first post:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/182950-tutorial-how-to-install-mods-manually-ckan/

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've reached the point in the game where you can't really fight against the jank anymore and mods become a necessity.

Protractor and Kerbal Alarm Clock are two I'll get to stay as vanilla as possible but having your wheels explode constantly because you lost concentration driving your rover and barely exceeded 10 m/s really sucks too. I made the same journey 3 times because of this so I'll have to keep an eye out for an auto-driving mod.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

There's a bug I remember. It would cause craft on the surface of a body to "bounce" upon loading, often catastrophically. Has this bug been fixed?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

There's a bug I remember. It would cause craft on the surface of a body to "bounce" upon loading, often catastrophically. Has this bug been fixed?

I haven't had it happen catastrophically yet but I can confirm that loading in or time warping causes all my surface craft to bounce slightly on their wheels/landing legs.

Actually, it did cause some of my deployed science modules to flip over but I can't remember if it caused them to break or not.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

I've reached the point in the game where you can't really fight against the jank anymore and mods become a necessity.

Protractor and Kerbal Alarm Clock are two I'll get to stay as vanilla as possible but having your wheels explode constantly because you lost concentration driving your rover and barely exceeded 10 m/s really sucks too. I made the same journey 3 times because of this so I'll have to keep an eye out for an auto-driving mod.

Mechjeb has rover autopilot functions including speed/heading controls and even waypoint paths.

Or another approach would be Bon Voyage where you set a waypoint and change focus to another craft and it simulates the trip itself in the background.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Count Roland posted:

I hate to be a turd, because I don't have the exact info, but this was happening to me and I asked in the thread. I believe the issue was related to the protractor mod but I could be mistaken. Search my posts in this thread and you should find the answer.

I had my game stopped for over a year due to that bug. I was working on a Munbase that looked like a static feature. It was very cool, but every 2nd load it would just hurl itself into the ground and explode.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

"World Stabilizer" mod was last updated for 1.8 but seems to run without issues in 1.11.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Otacon posted:

Workshop really only has craft files last I checked - other people build crafts and you can load them and fly them.

Grab CKAN here: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases

Here's a CKAN tutorial here, about halfway down the first post:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/182950-tutorial-how-to-install-mods-manually-ckan/

Ah thanks!

I'm looking to install the X Science mod mentioned last page. I've found it here:
https://github.com/thewebbooth/KSP-X-Science

But it doesn't look like it's integrated with CKAN. Can I still use it with CKAN somehow?

I've noticed I can import it, but it won't let me check it off during launch (presumably because the mod was updated for an earlier KSP version?)

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 24, 2021

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Ah thanks!

I'm looking to install the X Science mod mentioned last page. I've found it here:

But it doesn't look like it's integrated with CKAN. Can I still use it with CKAN somehow?

I've noticed I can import it, but it won't let me check it off during launch (presumably because the mod was updated for an earlier KSP version?)

Can't vouch for that mod specifically but sometimes mods are filtered out because it's not updated to be counted as "compatible" but it really does work with the current version. Try setting the filter in ckan to All and then searching for it. Then in the settings for ckan open the menu for compatible versions and tick whatever box is listed as the max version of [x] science and you should be able to install it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lansdowne posted:

Can't vouch for that mod specifically but sometimes mods are filtered out because it's not updated to be counted as "compatible" but it really does work with the current version. Try setting the filter in ckan to All and then searching for it. Then in the settings for ckan open the menu for compatible versions and tick whatever box is listed as the max version of [x] science and you should be able to install it.

Pretty much this. Some parts mods are perfectly fine being built for 1.0.6 and running on 1.0.11, but other things will break everything ever. The standard warning of "you do this at your own risk" applies here.

You could also end up like me and get frustrated enough to go and figure out why something isn't working and then fix it. :science:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Ah thanks!

"[X] Science Continued" is definitely on CKAN - you'll want to check off compatible versions here:

I'd recommend checking off everything from 1.11 down to 1.4 to guarantee you find it.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Adding to this - the main thing that breaks KSP mods, as far as I can tell, is the transition from 1.7 to 1.8 when they upgraded their Unity version. Anything 1.8 or above that doesn't mess with things specifically altered by later updates should be good to go. Stuff from before then should be used with much more caution, but minor mods liks X Science or UI tinkering and the like should also be just fine. My rule of thumb is that I'll only actively test compatibility in advance, assuming it will go wrong, for mods last compatible 1.7 or earlier. I could not live without Transfer Window.

Obviously it's an insane mod soup and as previous posters note exceptions will apply, somewhere, in some horrifying way you'll never be 100% certain of. X Science is highly unlikely to be one of those.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 24, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Mods that only add parts or new windows are typically good to go. There are a few exceptions - some parts that had styles (like engines with different mounts, or some different colors) may not work without alterations. However if you're ever unsure if a mod will break a save:

1) Backup your KSP folder (Steam/Steamapps/Common/Kerbal Space Program/) by copying and pasting it somewhere. You can choose to only backup the savegames folder if you want.

2) Load your questionable mods and load up your game. Go to a craft in flight or launch a new rocket. Do some poo poo with it - set up maneuver nodes, fly to Mun real quick, etc. - the idea is to test different functions.

3) Load up the Cheat Menu (Alt+F12 I think) and look in the console log - if you see any repeating red "NullRefException" errors you have a bad mod.

4a) If you have errors in your log, quit KSP, uninstall the mod, and copy your backed up save file back to your KSP folder, overwriting the more recent one.

4b) If you don't see any errors in your log, consider the mod good to go.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Awesome thanks everyone. I've got it running just with that single mod at the moment. I'm not really that far in to want to load it up till it breaks yet. I just remember keeping track of science was a pain

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Speaking of mods, is there something that is a sort of middle ground between the stock KerbNet and something like Scansat when it comes to mapping? I mostly like the stock implementation, except I'd like more control/consistency over the field of view and Scansat is nice for planning but can be a bit too cumbersome at times.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Now that I'm back into career mode. Are there any good mods for contracts? Just looking for some QoL improvements to make current contracts more visible, or like highlighting parts that I've accepted part testing for kind of thing. Does this exist?

And on that note, I'm assuming any crafts I've subscribed to in the workshop won't show up if I don't have the right tech for a component? EDIT: nvm I needed to launch via steam to get them

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 26, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Where would I go to find out if Parallax is compatible with SVE?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I regret to inform you that while Parallax is good, it is extremely not compatible with Scatterer.

Also for some reason the new version broke RealPlume and I didn't realize how much I would miss it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Parallax says it is compatible with Scatterer in the description, and they seems to be running fine together for me, and on top of the Scatterer-optimized fork of EVE? I just reinstalled ksp yesterday with all mods fresh and installed manually.

I didn't use real plume, trying Nertea's Waterfall 0.5.0 instead. It's currently new exhausts for all his other mods and ReStock+, and I don't think I'll be going back to real plume ever. Looks better and way less impact on frame rate.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe it's Hullcam VDS but I thought I uninstalled that...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Waterfall is real gorgeous

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well Parallax looks great but it makes threw my landed ship off the surface...

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
That kerbal can right it if they put their back into it!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Btw, if anyone is wondering about the Waterfall mod, here's a gif from the dev thread
https://imgur.com/a/jVO0BD8

Like, Kerbal maaan. Once you think you're out, the modders pull you back in :3:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 28, 2021

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
That looks amazing. When I looked on CKAN, it looks like it doesn't do anything to vanilla parts, only things from Restock. Is that right?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Bedurndurn posted:

That looks amazing. When I looked on CKAN, it looks like it doesn't do anything to vanilla parts, only things from Restock. Is that right?

Yes, and to all engines made by Nertea - so all [near future]'s, [kerbal atomics], and [far future]'s engines, same authour. Apparently the code to add them to a new part is very simple, and it's even possible to do it through a new in-game editor? Haven't had time to check exactly how yet. At the very least this editor lets you experiment with different values and effects in real time and then export the code to txt file -> put code in an engines config file and voilá!

Again, possibly possible to save that to the part without restarting the game, I haven't checked in-game yet.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 28, 2021

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

How does building stuff in eva work? I'm not sure how to start doing it, and on top of that I can't seem to get certain parts into kerbal inventories because they're too heavy to put them there. Stuff like some extra small fuel pods, etc.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Building in EVA:

You have to be an engineer. Push 'i' to open the menu or click the thing that looks like a crane hook on the menu bar (which only appears if you're an engi).

You should probably be holding on to a ladder or you may fly off into space.

Your little dude can only lift small weights. I tried assembling a rover at KSC and I couldn't lift the body or the external command seat. You'll have more luck in space / a moon.

RE: Parallax

drat this looks great. Is it compatible with the EVA science objects? I carted a set of them up to the Mun, but they sunk into the ground at weird angles and some of them vanished forever. It was my first try with any EVA science objects, so I don't know if that's par for the course or if the extra layer of nice looking ground goo Parallax manifests is what is causing the problem.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Waterfall plumes for aerospike engines look so much worse than all the others that I have to know why.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

been spending some time making duna spaceplanes

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpoopyRoughStorkDansGame-b6fw8sEl68qlGW1L

landing horizontally on duna is Not Easy but with enough wing you can do it

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Parallax rovers need a lot more traction.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 6, 2021