Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well crap, I just spent science on a different node that I coulda used to get the first solar panels. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I always rush to the solar panels :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:frogsiren: PSA: staging controls are still active while in the KER HUD editor, don't try to put spaces in your HUD panel names unless you like stranding Jeb in orbit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

EightBit posted:

I always rush to the solar panels :v:

I usually do too. Guess that'll teach me to try and do things out of order.

Also, I really like the 30 part limit early in the game. I feel like it's actually forcing me to build better rockets instead of gigantic monstrosities that struggle to make it out of the lower atmosphere.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 17, 2014

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I don't rush the solar panels because you can just pack on batteries and then turn them off so they don't drain while you fly to the mun/minmus. My top priorities are struts and fuel lines.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How do you install mods that aren't available for your version of KSP in CKAN? I type "install finalfrontier," but it says "module Finalfrontier required, but not available in the list or not available for your version of KSP."

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sokani posted:

I don't rush the solar panels because you can just pack on batteries and then turn them off so they don't drain while you fly to the mun/minmus. My top priorities are struts and fuel lines.

Same, fuel lines in particular are what enable me to start doing mun/minmus and beyond missions much easier.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

How do you install mods that aren't available for your version of KSP in CKAN? I type "install finalfrontier," but it says "module Finalfrontier required, but not available in the list or not available for your version of KSP."

Huh. Maybe it worked for me because I already had it cached?

Try downloading the CKAN file from ckan-meta and then installing with ckan install -c path/to/FinalFrontier-0.5.9-177.ckan

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

RoverDude posted:

For those that asked stuff earlier...

Sounding rockets are part of my constellation :D I've been playing with them myself, got one to land in the middle of the desert.

And the stuff plays well with career - plays awesome if you use the community tech tree with it (that's what most of today was - making MM configs to use CTT vs stock).

What is the "community tech tree"? Is it from your Community Resource Pack?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

:frogsiren: PSA: staging controls are still active while in the KER HUD editor, don't try to put spaces in your HUD panel names unless you like stranding Jeb in orbit.

alt+L will lock your staging for the currently focused craft. You can tell because the staging light will be solid (or blinking?) reddish purple rather than blinking green.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
The landing wheels being that high up the tree is pretty dumb, but I got around it by making a plane that launches straight up from the pad with an SRB, and then parachutes in to land when it's out of fuel. Also, the fuselage is horizontal when on the launchpad, for maximum :jeb:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
By the way max, I know most of us have immediately launched into the problems we've found, but so far, this is the best KSP patch in quite some time. Career mode no longer feels 'tacked on', and it's comparable to XCOM's structure of a metagame and individual missions.
Everything still needs tweaking but wow, it really is in beta, it's not just a name change. The little indicator on the altimeter that indicates whether your vertical acceleration is positive or negative is a nice touch.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

Medicinal Penguin posted:

The landing wheels being that high up the tree is pretty dumb, but I got around it by making a plane that launches straight up from the pad with an SRB, and then parachutes in to land when it's out of fuel. Also, the fuselage is horizontal when on the launchpad, for maximum :jeb:

I did the same drat thing. Although ironically enough, I had the landing gear available (thanks to a part testing contract) and the first jet engine...but no air intakes.

Clearly, the best solution was to shoot it more or less straight up to about 25 KM and then glide it down using the LV-909 to maintain altitude. :jeb:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Medicinal Penguin posted:

If I've got a normal jet powered plane early on I'll mount it on a launch tower and spool up the jet for 5-10s before I release for MAX POWER.

It's let me get to close by survey contracts quicker than I would otherwise.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sokani posted:

Do batteries count toward the starting 30 part count limit? Two solar panels takes the place of lots of batteries.

Edit: in other news, FAR and NEAR are updated to 0.90 and in CKAN's repository :getin:

EightBit fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 17, 2014

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sokani posted:

How do you turn off your batteries? Nothing I ever try seems to work.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fucknag posted:

Update: it's worse than I thought, right-clicking shows all facilities as level 3, but everything still acts like level 1 (only 2 contracts at a time, can't research above the 100 science tier of the tech tree, etc.) Guess it's back to 32-bit for me. :saddowns:

It's a known x64 bug. Use x64 at your own risk.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Warbird posted:

It's a known x64 bug. Use x64 at your own risk.

All amd64 versions, or just the windows one still? I haven't seen any issues with linux amd64.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My encounter with Mun was just a bit too close, I had to burn to avoid smacking into it. Because of that I was short making my return home by just a few dV. Sigh.

e: and I didn't realize how the part limit would affect my tech choices. I should have just gone for bigger rockets instead of more science. Its putting the :jeb: back in me.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Whiirrr posted:

How do you turn off your batteries? Nothing I ever try seems to work.

Right click, next to the Electric Charge bar there's a little icon (a green play arrow?) if you click this it will go red and prevent this resource from being used, this also works for fuel tanks, monoprop, etc.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

EightBit posted:

Do batteries count toward the starting 30 part count limit? Two solar panels takes the place of lots of batteries.

They do. Anything you slap on there counts - antennas, batteries, solar panels, girder segments, decouplers....

VodeAndreas posted:

Right click, next to the Electric Charge bar there's a little icon (a green play arrow?) if you click this it will go red and prevent this resource from being used, this also works for fuel tanks, monoprop, etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that you should never do this in the VAB/SPH. If you're like me and you place batteries with symmetry enabled, this will disable every battery in that symmetry group.

Your best bet would be to disable one of them while the ship is sitting on the launchpad or runway. Or hide a spare battery somewhere, like in the science bays that Universal Storage adds.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I've played this forever, but I landed a plane for the first time today.

I never bothered to dive in too deep with planes because they didn't seem as fun as rockets. I had a bunch of survey contracts on the board so I gave them a shot and found them to be pretty fun (and profitable).

It's cool that the new constraints got me to try something fun I otherwise wouldn't have done.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Those Fine Print contracts and features locked behind building upgrades are a pretty nifty way of pushing the player to learn how to build and fly.

I don't recall seeing in-game an explanation for certain terms that come up with facility upgrades. Does the Tracking Station lvl 2 upgrade notes just mention "Patched Conics"? Maybe there should be a pop-up after the player makes orbit, to remind them of facility upgrade option and gives some better detail (unless I clicked through it).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I keep getting contracts for the bloody launch clamps. I'm no danny, I can't reliably put those things on escape trajectories arsonide :argh:

edit: I am dumb, the hydraulic detachment manifold is a decoupler :downs:

Splode fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 17, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A simple mission to test the 48-7S in orbit turned into an impromptu Mun orbit without unlocking patched conics, maneuver nodes, or any other kind of assistance. It took 16 more days than it should have, but he got home. Even landed within a few miles of the spaceport.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Is anyone having problems getting the buildings to start with the un-upgraded models in 32 bit? Because no matter what, whether x32 or x64, I seem to always be starting with the buildings having the upgraded models.

I just want my barn...

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I did one of the Kerbal rescue contracts with no upgrades to anything other than my launch pad and VAB. I have my orbit within 3k of the Kerbal, but I can't switch to him to get him over to the waiting capsule. Is there another upgrade I need to get him aboard?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

All amd64 versions, or just the windows one still? I haven't seen any issues with linux amd64.

My understanding is that the Mac and Linux versions perform 64 bit just fine. Win x64 is rumored to wipe drives and install Stuxnet.

WhiteHowler posted:

I did one of the Kerbal rescue contracts with no upgrades to anything other than my launch pad and VAB. I have my orbit within 3k of the Kerbal, but I can't switch to him to get him over to the waiting capsule. Is there another upgrade I need to get him aboard?

Use [ and ] when within close-ish range to the target.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

How do I bring up the new editor gizmos, new root select, and switch between the two kinds of symmetry?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

They're right there in the top leftish part of the main editor area. The rounded square icon things.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 17, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Warbird posted:

They're right there in the top leftish part of the main editor area. The round icon things.

hahaha thanks! KER's pop up menu was sitting on top of them. Oops.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I think it's within 2.2k, then hit the one of the square bracket keys to cycle to him.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lansdowne posted:

I think it's within 2.2k, then hit the one of the square bracket keys to cycle to him.
Ugh. It was all I could do to get this close without targeting or a relative velocity display.

I'm pretty good at matching orbits by burning prograde or retrograde at the right time, but that really only helps half an orbit in the future.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just keep doing what you were doing, only in smaller increments. Remember to keep patient, as it is easy to think you messed up when initially your separation increases. Double check the map and wait for nearly the entire orbit before deciding if you made the right move.

If you have the fuel (at 3 km), you could take the less efficient route and burn towards the target. If not, it is quite the exercise in patience.

e: under 2.5km or so, you can double click the dude to target him.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Unless you're down to your last drops of fuel, at 3km you really should be able to just point at the target and burn a bit to close the gap. You only need to cover the last few hundred meters until you can take control of the rescue dude anyway.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The level 1 runway makes wheel-less takeoffs a lot more entertaining.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
Hard difficulty in this patch is some of the most fun I've ever had with this game. Every flight is important, every contract taken is important, who and what you take in your payload is important, choosing your landing spot is important. Love it.

RIP Bob. Next time we won't land on a mountain.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spookydonut posted:

The level 1 runway makes wheel-less takeoffs a lot more entertaining.

Yeah, I only tried it once for a survey contract and the makeshift skids I had on the plane dug in to the runway and flipped me over at 60m/s. Somehow the cockpit didn't explode and kill Jeb, but I think I'll wait until I have landing gear before trying that again.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Cubey posted:

Yeah, I only tried it once for a survey contract and the makeshift skids I had on the plane dug in to the runway and flipped me over at 60m/s. Somehow the cockpit didn't explode and kill Jeb, but I think I'll wait until I have landing gear before trying that again.

The trick is to make a missile with as much lift as you can put on it. As long as the front is conical and you can control the roll, you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
You people are insane. Just use parachutes until you unlock landing gear.