Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

uXs posted:

What if I just have 2 of the 6x1 variant.

And what if I broke the other one too while docking.

Just hypothetically, mind you.

Well, hypothetically you could turn all your batteries off, angle your craft exclusively with RCS, get back to Kerbin, and turn your batteries back on for EDL...but it's a good thing that's not what happened, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Sage Grimm posted:

That sounds like a RESCUE mission to me!

Yeah, I was still able to dock so I'm safely in orbit around Ike, docked to a huge fuel tank with huge solar panels so I'm pretty safe there. I also have a large space station around Duna that has a craft specifically made for Duna-Ike transfers so it won't be that hard a rescue/recovery mission.

Duodecimal posted:

In the VAB, right-click on fuel tanks and engines and you should see an option for Shroud. Toggle that off and those weird interpart plates will go away. For some engines, this might visually display the internal tanks and make it look like the engine's not physically connected, but that's OK.

Cool, thanks.

Duodecimal posted:

Screwed, unless you don't mind editing save files. Do a ctrl-F to find the all-caps word "BROKEN". Replace it with "EXTENDED" (I think. Scan around for a non-broken solar panel and see what the equivalent value is).

[edit]Or repair mission. With KIS/KAS, you can send an Engineer and a stowed spare panel up with a wrench/drill and - wait, I think I tried that and you can't actually interact with broken panels. But you can at least slap a new one on next to it.

Hmh. If I can't really repair them I don't think I'll bother. I'll just send a new craft with less breakable panels. Maybe just add some of the simple ones and retract the others while doing maneuvers. And then push my current one into a collision with Ike.

I need to send some new ships over there anyway, my Duna lander needs some improvements and the Duna-Kerbin transports are almost uncontrollable for docking.

Hremsfeld posted:

Well, hypothetically you could turn all your batteries off, angle your craft exclusively with RCS, get back to Kerbin, and turn your batteries back on for EDL...but it's a good thing that's not what happened, isn't it?

Maybe... but that seems risky. And fairly pointless since it would be impossible to land on Kerbin because it doesn't have any parachutes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are there any good 1.3 planet packs? I've been using new horizons which seems neat but I dunno if it's the scale, but high time warp keeps flinging my stuff out of orbit, the comms network lines also jitter about everywhere which is what makes me think it's some kind of calculation resolution issue due to the size of the system.

Mostly I just want neat looking planets as stock KSP ones are kind of boring.

E: Just downloaded gamelinx's pack and drat this looks cool, gonna see if it has the same issues.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 29, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Outer Planets is pretty rad and was recently updated for 1.3

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

"Physics Range Extender" would constantly cause my stuff to kick itself out of orbit or suddenly turn circularized orbits into suborbital flights. If you have PRE installed, try your planet mods without PRE.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I uninstalled persistent rotation and swapped packs, the new pack is much better and the rotation thing was annoying anyway, one of the two has fixed the issue.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

So today in modded KSP:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

So today in modded KSP:

Bonus points for Real Scale Boosters as the agency?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

uXs posted:

What if I just have 2 of the 6x1 variant.

And what if I broke the other one too while docking.

Just hypothetically, mind you.

A good reason to put a KAS box on every craft, and put in a few key items.

Batteries, small solar panels, parachutes, struts, fuel lines. You can McGuyver your way out of quite a bit with these things.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I am kind of surprised there is no "retcon" type mod where you stick a box on the side to be able to pull out stuff like that, only instead of having to pack it on the ground you can instead get 1-5 pulls of any item because you "thought ahead". Or maybe frame it as various cables and electronics you can cobble together. Call it the junk drawer. I get frustrated as hell when I spend 15 mins orbiting and docking a craft only to realize I left X at home.

I have reverted so many craft.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Honestly, that's a great mod idea, and could probably use KIS/KAS as a piggyback.

In the past, I've used Simple Construction (which uses Extraplanetary Launch Pads) to do what you're asking - but it's complicated. You go back to VAB/SPH, make a new craft, make just the KAS box filled with what you need, save, jump back to your craft (hope you packed some ore and have some engineers) and generated the supply crates in situ.

I imagine it'd work similar to that - if you pack your stuff ahead of time, you save space or can reuse something more than once - but if you don't pack your stuff before you leave you can only generate a limited amount of stuff one time or something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Protip for power management: If you have more than one battery (including the one in your probe core you almost certainly do), disable current flow from one of them before launch or upon reaching orbit. You are allowed to turn the flow back on even if the rest of the ship runs out of power and becomes unresponsive, and it can give you a small hit of emergency power you can use to reorient or deploy a stowed panel.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

haveblue posted:

Protip for power management: If you have more than one battery (including the one in your probe core you almost certainly do), disable current flow from one of them before launch or upon reaching orbit. You are allowed to turn the flow back on even if the rest of the ship runs out of power and becomes unresponsive, and it can give you a small hit of emergency power you can use to reorient or deploy a stowed panel.

Is this still true? I feel like I tried it a while back and it no longer worked.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
there's a mod that allows you to have a reserve power system

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did they ever fix Hullcam so you can have your 1st person EVAs without making your ships wobble and explode?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Finally found a use for the Launch Escape System. :toot:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
That's a good one.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

They're also good for make-a-tourist-pass-out contracts. You might need to use two of them horizontally opposed and an adapter though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I think you can make a prekitted KAS box as a subassembly. Drop in a few struts, a deployable solar panel, an antenna, a drill and wrench. Makes it really easy to slap on when building your rockets--that way, you really did think ahead!
Well, assuming you brought an engineer, anyway.

Wish I had KAS before sending my Duna mission out. But since I decided to extend it by sending an ISRU setup out I took advantage and sent out a bunch of drills, wrenches, and recently-unlocked experiments to bolt onto my lander and mothership. Relay dishes too.

The deploy-once-only solar panels are really only useful for satellites that are never going to interact with other ships again, or something for-real-expendable. There have been so many situations where I've really needed the ability to retract them (to avoid screwups in docking or landing) where the extra mass is well worth the safety.

MJ has a button you can add to any window via the "customize window" pane that toggles solar panels. It saves you an action group and it's a nice QoL thing. Wish they had one for radiators too, but eh.
While talking about MJ customization, there are a TON of options and displays you can stick onto things. For example, "suicide burn countdown" is a handy item for the Surface Info pane. "RCS DeltaV" is also a must-have for my DeltaV window so I can squeeze every last m/s out of my ships. Keep in mind that monoprop, LF/LFO, and Xenon are all independent of each other--as you use up one type of fuel that means less mass for the other system to push, so you actually have more DV than just "rocket fuel DV + RCS DV".

One thing I learned last night: Klawed kerbonauts don't do well in re-entry. They tend to go all spaghetti-poof.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OAquinas posted:

I think you can make a prekitted KAS box as a subassembly. Drop in a few struts, a deployable solar panel, an antenna, a drill and wrench. Makes it really easy to slap on when building your rockets--that way, you really did think ahead!
Well, assuming you brought an engineer, anyway.

Hot drat. I hope I remember this when I play the game again.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I updated to 1.3 this week and had a play for the first time in a long while. Have they changed the atmosphere yet again? I used to to be able to do a Mun or even Minmus re-entry without a heat shield coming in shallow around 48km. It feels like they made the lower few kilometers a hell of a lot thicker and things crash hard instead of slowing down.

Drogues and a heat shield fixes it but like I said, it didn't use to need them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ratzap posted:

I updated to 1.3 this week and had a play for the first time in a long while. Have they changed the atmosphere yet again? I used to to be able to do a Mun or even Minmus re-entry without a heat shield coming in shallow around 48km. It feels like they made the lower few kilometers a hell of a lot thicker and things crash hard instead of slowing down.

Drogues and a heat shield fixes it but like I said, it didn't use to need them.
It's probably a dynamics shift from what you used to build to what you started building this time around. Is your landing stage oddly heavy (carrying over engines or full fuel tanks)? Is it oddly shaped (very long, no useful braking surfaces)?

You should be able to throw a command pod at 50k from minmus and land barring any mountain issues. Start getting cute with the high efficiency Kerbal holders or trying to bring engines back and you need to plan your entry accordingly.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
It was a fresh save and the first launch (couple of SRBs and a pod). So the problem was it coming back in too steeply since it wasn't making orbit.

I might skip the whole career thing and dive straight into a ton of mods in a sandbox. Bases and big stupid things was most fun for me.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I've got 2 command pods with crews on sub-orbital trajectories, separated by only about 20km. Is there any way I can get both these command pods down? One always burns up in the upper atmosphere because apparently (despite having a heat shield, chutes, and pilot) it can't maintain the right orientation without me watching it.

At this point I'd take a cheat to teleport them back to KSC as recovered.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

When poo poo gets fucky, there is a cheat menu that can disable heat mechanics with a check box. The keystrokes to open it are easy to find in Google

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Alt+F12 for the cheat / debug menu. Turning off heat won't help since stuff that reenters while it's not focused just gets auto-destroyed, so use it to park one of your pods in a safe orbit until you're ready to deal with it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Here is how I'd solve this problem in a way that, while definitely cheaty, is a little less so than simply teleporting your craft back home safely. You'll still need to bring both of your craft home normally, but this way you'll be able to put off landing one until you've done the other. Note that this could probably be done with a KSP save editor, but since I'm not familiar with any, I'm going to outline this process the old fashioned way using a text editor. If you have a text editor that's useful for writing code, that would be preferable (you'll see why in a moment).
  1. Save your current game (hereafter: "old save").

2. Pick one of the two craft and use the cheat menu to put it into an orbit around Kerbin.

3. Switch back to the other craft and go through re-entry with it, hopefully landing in one piece.

4. Make a new save (hereafter: "new save") and exit. It would be prudent to make a backup of this new save just in case this doesn't work.

5. Open the new save (*.sfs) in a text editor and identify the remaining craft (the one you parked in orbit). If your ship has a unique and specific name, it will be easy to find just by searching for that name. Each of your ships and other spacefaring objects ("vessels") will have all of their attributes defined in a format like this:
    code:
    VESSEL
    {
      pid = 66b9deee8b8540d7b963a8c2c6a2ea0b
      name = Sun Diver I
      type = Probe
      sit = ORBITING
      landed = False
      ORBIT
      {
      }
      PART
      {
      }
    }
    This will be quite long... like a few thousand lines long.

6. Open the old save and find that same craft. Copy those several thousand lines from the old save and paste them over the ones in the new save. This will be a million times easier if your text editor can collapse the curly braces containing that vessel's data:
    code:
    VESSEL
    {
    }
  7. Save that file (the new save), then load it up in KSP. Your second craft should be in on its original sub-orbital trajectory in the same state that it was before you parked it in orbit.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 13, 2017

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I do think they changed re-entry atmo significantly at some point since 1.0. Heavier shuttles like the mk 2 command pod just don't slow down as well. I have more of an issue in the lower atmosphere, just slowing enough to deploy chutes. If you have some junk in the trunk you pretty much need drogues with the mk 2 pod.

Meanwhile you can throw a heatshield under 3x mk. 1 lander cans and get home easily because it's lightweight and slowed quickly by friction. So the flimsy lander cans are better at re-entry than the command pod intended for re-entry. Mostly because the mk 2 pod is a brick.

So here's an alternative transport I came up with. 18 seater final stage at less than 3 tons. Engineer's report: There is nothing concerning about this vessel!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there any mod that does a tonage sanity pass over all the stock parts? Things like the mk2 pod and rockomax 6way connector are absurdly heavy. Impact resistance is mostly a non-issue so a lander can + hitchhiker is simply going to be better than anything else 99% of the time and that kinda sucks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Impact and heat resistance don't matter, unless they do. I've had nothing but headaches massaging lander cans and hitchhikers to not blow up planet side because I didn't hit the dynamics just right or I landed on a hill and it tips. Meanwhile a 1-2 pod with mk1 inline cockpits stacked on top have been a relative dream.

Depends what intersection of engineering vs piloting you want to make. Hard to argue with the lighter contraptions you can put together but it's not totally free.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks for the tips guys. I cheated one of my pods into a 70km orbit, guided the other one down, and then got out and pushed the orbiting one back to suboribtal with eva because I'm the dumbass who never puts RCS on his pods.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
so did they change parachute deployment altitude from radar to sea level at some point, or did my capsule just slam into the ground because the parachute deployed but wasn't able to slow it down in time?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
That used to happen way back in the earliest versions but i thought they fixed it years ago so it was based on altitude above whatever you're about to slam into?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Probably the latter, or mod goofiness.

E: and it isn't smart to predict cliffs/mountains

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The chute also won't deploy if you are going too fast.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Parachutes also won't instantly slow you down anymore, either; they have to deploy out the back and then open up.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Khisanth Magus posted:

The chute also won't deploy if you are going too fast.

This screwed me over when I first tried to come back to this having not played since the days of mod licensing drama. Fired my first rocket into the sky, activated the parachute at around 2000m after coming down from 6000 or so and nothing happened. Turns out drogues now have a purpose!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Had my first landing and return from Gilly. That last stage managed to get back into a low polar orbit around Kerbin (not enough fuel to adjust the plane much without burning in the atmosphere). I sent up a capture rocket to nab it and bring it down behind a heat shield since it wasn't built for atmospheric landing. Felt pretty good!

I've also got a base I'm supposed to land on Gilly for contract but due to the way its built it swings on one axis during burns. Not sure if I was having difficulties around Kerbin but it's definitely struggled in Eve's sphere of influence. I might still be able to bring it down though.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Any new fun and good mods out between a bit before 1.3 and now? Getting that itch for killing kerbals again :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Sage Grimm posted:

I've also got a base I'm supposed to land on Gilly for contract but due to the way its built it swings on one axis during burns. Not sure if I was having difficulties around Kerbin but it's definitely struggled in Eve's sphere of influence. I might still be able to bring it down though.

If you have just 1 engine, you're going to need to reduce thrust by a lot to deal with excess torque your reaction wheels can't handle. If you have multiple engines, and are using Mechjeb, check out Mechjeb's Differential Throttle - definitely saved my bacon a few times.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

so did they change parachute deployment altitude from radar to sea level at some point, or did my capsule just slam into the ground because the parachute deployed but wasn't able to slow it down in time?

Did you fire your rocket straight up? You need to go more diagonal to allow the new atmo to slow you down in time.