Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Count Roland posted:

Right, but there's quite a number of engines in mods, and I don't really want to install of them to try them all out, especially if they don't end up being much different from stock options.

And I'm not very patient. I've been using a poodle for large probes. In the past I used the ion thruster a lot, but its low thrust meant I usually put it on very small probes only.

There's always CryoEngines (and accompanying CryoTanks) which introduces another type of fuel, LiquidHydrogen. The gimmick here is that the engines have higher isp (up to 455s) but are slightly heavier and cost more.

However the fuel is much less dense than LFO, meaning each tank holds less of it - so you'll need approximately twice the amount of tank volume to get similar delta-V compared with standard LFO rockets.

It also introduces boil-off, which necessitates a steady electric charge provided to the tanks to prevent fuel loss.

I believe Modular Rocket Systems also adds engines.

If you're looking for extra-large engines for pushing ultra-heavy payloads into orbit, there's always the SpaceY Heavy Lifters sets of mods.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Do you guys have any good designs for basic heavy lifters or landers for the mk1-2 command pod/lander can? I’m playing career mode and have managed to get kommsats in polar orbits above ceti and iota but I couldn’t manage to get enough delta v to get my iota Rover/lander off of Gael which is frustrating

My lifters either never have enough delta v or they do but they start to flip over a lot when they get close to dry mass because they’re dumb and tall

I have the near future and heavy lifters and space-y mods for reference

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Do you guys have any good designs for basic heavy lifters or landers for the mk1-2 command pod/lander can? I’m playing career mode and have managed to get kommsats in polar orbits above ceti and iota but I couldn’t manage to get enough delta v to get my iota Rover/lander off of Gael which is frustrating

My lifters either never have enough delta v or they do but they start to flip over a lot when they get close to dry mass because they’re dumb and tall

I have the near future and heavy lifters and space-y mods for reference

As in, an Apollo-style lander? Unfortunately the only ones I've attempted recently used 3.75m parts to launch:

HOWEVER, looking through my old GPP save I found this:

It was far easier to just use an all-in-one lander using the command pod, a Rockomax X200-32 tank, and the Poodle engine.

For the lifter, a very basic asparagus staging (only 4 externals needed instead of the usual 6) using only Skippers works just fine.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 13, 2018

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
You can save a lot of DV getting to Gael's moons by launching either so that they cross the planet's equator when you arrive at their altitude or launching into an inclined orbit roughly matching the moon's.

EDIT: I guess that only applies to the further one, isnt the close one 0 degrees inclined?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Otacon posted:

As in, an Apollo-style lander? Unfortunately the only ones I've attempted recently used 3.75m parts to launch:

HOWEVER, looking through my old GPP save I found this:

It was far easier to just use an all-in-one lander using the command pod, a Rockomax X200-32 tank, and the Poodle engine.

For the lifter, a very basic asparagus staging (only 4 externals needed instead of the usual 6) using only Skippers works just fine.

Thanks for posting that -- looking at your first set of screenshots helped me to finally get an Apollo-style LEM/CSM combo working.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

ZekeNY posted:

Thanks for posting that -- looking at your first set of screenshots helped me to finally get an Apollo-style LEM/CSM combo working.

Nice, glad to have helped!

Here's part of my latest endeavor:

https://gfycat.com/FlusteredMarriedAzurewingedmagpie

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Otacon posted:

Nice, glad to have helped!

Here's part of my latest endeavor:

https://gfycat.com/FlusteredMarriedAzurewingedmagpie

What engines are you using?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Count Roland posted:

What engines are you using?

2.5m NERV from SXT
3.75m Mammoth (stock) Tweakscaled to 5.0m

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Any of you happen to know how to add stuff to existing FSFuelswitch entries with modulemanager? Specifically trying to add seperate ExoticMinerals and RareMetals to the Kontainer parts.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive been thinking about this game recently and I fell out of it last time because once I had enough research done, I could make enough money to do just about anything without any real goals or pressure except what I set for myself. Adding stuff like RemoteTech and setting up a satellite network was fun but once I had that set up and a base on Mun and a couple space stations, I lost interest in the save because there was no point to doing any of these things. Are there any mods that give some sort of longterm, overarching goal, even superficially?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Ive been thinking about this game recently and I fell out of it last time because once I had enough research done, I could make enough money to do just about anything without any real goals or pressure except what I set for myself. Adding stuff like RemoteTech and setting up a satellite network was fun but once I had that set up and a base on Mun and a couple space stations, I lost interest in the save because there was no point to doing any of these things. Are there any mods that give some sort of longterm, overarching goal, even superficially?

There are a few kolonization mods, and at least now you need to have a Kommsat network in order to control probes and vessels that are far off and what have you, and i just read about a telescope mod that forces you to launch a hubble like telescope to see planets in your map and gradually get better views of them instead of knowing about all of them right out of the gate (i think it was called research bodies or something like that)

If you're into micromanagement you could check out the life support system mods that force you to pack food and air and if the electric goes out your kerbals freeze to death

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

If you're into micromanagement you could check out the life support system mods that force you to pack food and air and if the electric goes out your kerbals freeze to death

I certainly found that life-support mods *really* mixed things up, because they add an extra layer of challenge even to very basic Kerbin-system missions, let alone more ambitious things. There is also stuff like 'realistic progression', but I'm way too much of a scrub to handle that stuff.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Unmanned first seems like a cool mod so you have to do probes and rovers before landing kerbals anywhere, which is cool, and i would have done it on my current save if not for not finding out about the mod until i got halfway through the tech tree

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The problem is those all add more intermediate steps but still don't give anything large to work towards. Im looking more for something that says, for example "This really rich guy wants to do a grand tour, set up space stations around every planet and have him visit every one before returning to earth" or "We've found alien kerbals!! who are exactly the same as normal kerbals, on Duna. Bring one of them back and learn their space secrets" or "Map every one of Jool's moons and we'll develop mining equipment for you"

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Get one of the new solar system mods, don't spoil yourself on what the planets are like at all, and go truly explore new interesting things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Get one of the new solar system mods, don't spoil yourself on what the planets are like at all, and go truly explore new interesting things.

This genuinely is one of the best things to do as a KSP vet, try something new and enjoy not knowing what you're going to run into or what you need to build to conquer it.

My suggestion is to do that, turn the antenna range way down in your startup settings, and install the USI mods including life support, it makes getting places a lot harder.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 18, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

For some reason my mining rig stops working(agriculture, crusher, and all the drills) when it's no longer loaded, any idea what's causing it?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

There’s definitely more variety in contracts than there used to be, so that can help. Also, there are contract pack mods, or part mods that include new contracts like DMagic Orbital Science.

Alternately, install the full suite of realism/real scale solar system mods. The career mode (RP-0) might leave something to be desired, but its pretty cool how much more difficult it is.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Crazycryodude posted:

This. Get GPP. Land on Tellumo and take off again.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Do you guys have any good designs for basic heavy lifters

That's really, really gonna be determined by what you consider "heavy" is. 200 tons? 2000?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

This. I started a new campaign with GPP and its finally got me back into the game after several years of starting and stopping.

Its the exploration that really does it for me. Discovering new worlds. I'm in campaign mode but I still don't like most of the missions it gives me. I cheat my way into funding for certain things (because I despise grinding) and mostly am just exploring. Next step is a series of unmanned Thalia landings, woo!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

After Kerbin/Before Kerbin are also really interesting I've heard.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So to get to niven/Duna, do I need to perform the transfer from Ceti? I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to go directly from Gael and then i had a dream that irl NASA used a slingshot maneuver around the moon to get to mars on less fuel

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

So to get to niven/Duna, do I need to perform the transfer from Ceti? I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to go directly from Gael and then i had a dream that irl NASA used a slingshot maneuver around the moon to get to mars on less fuel

Slingshot around the Mun doesn’t actually help much, because the Oberth Effect is more important.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

You want to use the Oberth effect to your advantage, which means you'll want to set up your Hohmann transfer in Gael orbit.

You want to fall in towards Niven since it's closer to the sun than Gael, so you need to arrest some of the orbital velocity Gael already has around the sun. So you would need to wait until Niven and Gael are at the proper phase angle and then burn prograde at the proper ejection angle.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hi everyone, just got back into ksp and trying to remember the names of mods. Quick question, what is this plugin?

I remember it being an utterly fantastic tool, but what the hell is it called?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hi everyone, just got back into ksp and trying to remember the names of mods. Quick question, what is this plugin?

I remember it being an utterly fantastic tool, but what the hell is it called?

Rcs build something something

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Rcs build something something

Thanks! I think it was it who had that graph plotting... thing..., where it showed you how aerodynamically stable your :jeb:-plane was at different speeds. Ie. if you'd have any control authority with 30% fuel going mach 2 at 10,000ft or whatever numbers you put in. That's the thing I'm looking for, namely.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"Unsafe at any speed"

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Thanks! I think it was it who had that graph plotting... thing..., where it showed you how aerodynamically stable your :jeb:-plane was at different speeds. Ie. if you'd have any control authority with 30% fuel going mach 2 at 10,000ft or whatever numbers you put in. That's the thing I'm looking for, namely.

FAR, probably

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
RCS Build Aid.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm playing DarkMultiplayerMod with a friend, it's fantastic. But things start getting a little funky when we're within viewing distance of each other's vessels. We get incredible juddering and ships will vibrate very violently. The same also happens if one of us observes the other whilst they fly (not as bad, but things can get fucky).

Is this a known issue? I thought it might be because my friend's internet connection isn't the best, so am planning on hosting the server myself next time. But drat, if this is typical in DMP, our joint planet bases are gonna be something, I was really excited to have expeditions to far-off planets to start bases together. I observed my friend when he made a preliminary base on Minmus, and the entire base jumped out of the ground and one of the Kerbals was bugged and couldn't re-enter the base.

Our first orbital rendezvous was also pretty terrible. Things were smooth sailing right until we got within 1km of each other, and then his ship started vibrating really aggressively and combusting spontaneously, but oddly enough, it looked different for both of us. For example, on my screen, his solar panel would blow up and his cockpit would break away, whereas on his screen, my ship would break apart and his would be fine, or just his engine would fall off.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

If you build stations, or even if you don't, you owe it to yourself to check out this updated mod:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/7tmn6h/stockalike_station_parts_expansion_redux_an_epic/

Nertea nailed it - there's so many cool things in this pack.

ALSO, Scatterer has an update that fixes a few bugs! Make sure to update and reset any old configs if you're still have issues.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 28, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I stop my planet bases from totally making GBS threads themselves when I switch to them? My mining outpost keeps bouncing out of the ground whenever I swap to it. It's frustrating.

Sidenote: what visual enhancement mods do you suggest? I've got Scatterer, but I've seen people post screenshots where planets look gorgeous.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Otacon posted:

If you build stations, or even if you don't, you owe it to yourself to check out this updated mod:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/7tmn6h/stockalike_station_parts_expansion_redux_an_epic/

ALSO, Scatterer has an update that fixes a few bugs! Make sure to update and reset any old configs if you're still have issues.

Holy gently caress, Squad, hire this man.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Q8ee posted:

How do I stop my planet bases from totally making GBS threads themselves when I switch to them? My mining outpost keeps bouncing out of the ground whenever I swap to it. It's frustrating.

Sidenote: what visual enhancement mods do you suggest? I've got Scatterer, but I've seen people post screenshots where planets look gorgeous.

This mod might help: WorldStabilizer

As for visual mods......

A lot of people use Vens Stock Part Revamp to retexture stock parts from the cartoony-white Squad look into a more detailed-gray look. It's not updated fully and may cause conflicts with other mods. I uninstalled it but find myself missing a few parts of it.

For world-views, there's two that are currently updated but not fully compatible with each other - Environmental Visual Enhancements vs Astronomers Visual Pack. AVP had some issues that caused me to switch back to EVE. Both introduce clouds and city-lights. AVP has some features EVE does not - cooler looking sunsets/sunrises, as well as lightning. Dunno if the dev has fixed the display issues I was having. There's also Spectra which I've never tried, and looking at the last pages screenshots makes me want to give it a whirl - check these out at the bottom of the last page: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/159443-130131-spectra-v113-visual-compilation-9-september-17/&page=10

If you use EVE, you can also use Stock Visual Enhancements plus Stock Visual Terrain.

There's PlanetShine which coats the underbody of your ship the color of the world below - ships in low Kerbin orbit look bluish, ships in Jool orbit look green, etc. This mod isn't updated for 1.3.1 but still works.

WindowShine is somewhat buggy, but it gives some of the windows on parts a glassy, reflective look as well as Kerbal EVA visors. It has display bugs relating to errant shadows.

RealPlume and SmokeScreen give you some neater looking plumes and gas trails.

'Engine Lighting' has your engines throw light on the rest of your rocket during burns.

Reentry Particle Effect adds a cooler looking trail during re-entry.

Distant Object Enhancement shows off faraway planets in the sky - Duna will be a tiny red blip, Jool tiny green, Eve tiny purple - wonderful immersion.

Lastly, I don't have too much info on these, but I know they can spruce up your Kerbals: TextureReplacerReplaced, and Textures Unlimited.

All of these are available on CKAN!

Otacon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 29, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

You're awesome, thanks man. That post was really detailed and helped a lot.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Otacon posted:

I love this guy's stuff. I haven't downloaded any for this save, because I'm try to use as few mods as possible for performance reasons. This might break me though.

:jebstare:

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 29, 2018

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Yeah, he added like 5 new different centrifuges - all of them fully compatible with USI-LS and other life support mods.

My favorite thing from this pack are the landing legs - the animations are super smooth!

Second favorite thing are the new 2.5m station cargo bays (lower left in this image, with the doors on either side - gonna put so much stuff inside these!)

And runner up has to be the extendable docking tubes - these function awesome in the VAB, can't wait to use them offworld!

Otacon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Is there anything in a mod that maps closely to the Epstein Drive from The Expanse?