Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wanted to fire this up after about a year.

What's with this TakeTwo EULA update and where did the Steam Workshop go???

TheDon01 posted:

What the hell?

Who gives a poo poo what a videogame EULA says?

Has any EULA that wasnt associated with your money (like paypal or something) ever mattered?

quote:

The information we collect may include personal information such as your first and/or last name, e-mail address, phone number, photo, mailing address, geolocation, or payment information. In addition, we may collect your age, gender, date of birth, zip code, hardware configuration, console ID, software products played, survey data, purchases, IP address and the systems you have played on. We may combine the information with your personal information and across other computers or devices that you may use.

I mean, gently caress that lol

e: \/\/\/ hmm yeah I'm misremembering I guess

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Steam workshop didn't go anywhere? The game's never used it that I know of.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So uh, am I missing something on the first mission? It wants me to launch a Stayputnick up to 5000 meters using 14 or less parts and under 3.3t the only engine available is the Hammer which by itself weighs 3.562t :confused:

I assume it's supposed to be the Flea and not hammer that's the only one available.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Try taking some fuel out.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Does anyone know out of curiosity what might be causing this bug?

First line of parts in the list is only half rendered.

oh jeez, it doesn't like having to display a longer list of parts than will fit on a single screen

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Another stupid thing to get up in arms about. That doesn't mean they're going to go rifling through your PC for records of that information, it means if you give them access to that information they're going to collect and use it. Also pretty bog standard license language for any software these days because they don't want to have to think about whether they've covered all their bases when you send them a bug report via Facebook or something while your profile picture is public and whoever takes the report does a screen capture of your message instead of re-typing or doing a copy/paste of your text.

Actual question time:

1) So whose got the best early access playthrough of the content to show of the new parts? I basically ignored everything prior to release.

2) Is it really intentional that as you progress through the stages of a mission if you fail a later stage you restart from the beginning? Because that's hosed up if you make the common mistakes of oh, forgetting to re-stage your parachute on the final stage of mission and having to go back to square one if you didn't quicksave.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

What's with this TakeTwo EULA update and where did the Steam Workshop go???

quote:

The information we collect may include personal information such as your first and/or last name, e-mail address, phone number, photo, mailing address, geolocation, or payment information. In addition, we may collect your age, gender, date of birth, zip code, hardware configuration, console ID, software products played, survey data, purchases, IP address and the systems you have played on. We may combine the information with your personal information and across other computers or devices that you may use.

e: \/\/\/ hmm yeah I'm misremembering I guess

Hahaha, That's a helluva thing. Here, just take everything on my computer while you're at it, and for safety's sake, I'll scan in the results of my latest physical, tax return and all personal bank account info! Just so TakeTwo can have the ultimate picture of some nerd that just wants to find creative ways to blast little green dudes into space.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Moridin920 posted:

I find it amusing that people are posting this specific complaint on Kerbal YouTube videos. Since you have to agree to essentially the same Eula to use google and post on YouTube.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Seriously who cares about click-through EULAs these days. I'm really fumed up about the bugs though. I shouldn't run into two obvious bugs, one of which is a show-stopper, within my first 15 minutes of playing.

e: this was post patch, too

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 14, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Didn't they announce there's going to be a 1.4.1 followup patch in a few days?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

haveblue posted:

Didn't they announce there's going to be a 1.4.1 followup patch in a few days?

Yes, it was released yesterday.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Is ckan still the best mod manager?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I enjoy the structure given by the missions. I did the first 2. Some of the instructions were unclear, though.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Does it really make you refly the first part of the mission if you fail the second? Like two separate rockets? And the game crashes when you try to load a quicksave?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I was able to load a quicksave for the 2nd stock mission without problem. For the 1st one I didn't try, but given the circumstances a quicksave would likely be required before leaving/completing the previous step (as you can't save in the VAB). I hope there is/would be a better way... I'll see if I can duplicate your crash next time I play.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Is ckan still the best mod manager?

Sadly, there's so many small things I wish it had that makes me wish I could code worth poo poo, such as being able to add a previous version mod with a warning, and colour coding previous version mods if you do so.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If they wanted to embrace modding fully they should just build a mod manager into the game, like Factorio has.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Any hints for the mission "To the Mun Via Minmus"?

I released the Goo while in orbit (under 100km) and it didn't trigger. The thing does not state a minimum altitude, just in orbit. A different thing says 95km to 100km.

E: yes, secretly the Goo also required the previous thing's orbital parameters.

Ee: oh, you can't make toggle flow in batteries now without battery charge on another battery...

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 15, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Ee: oh, you can't make toggle flow in batteries now without battery charge on another battery...
That's a surprisingly elegant patch.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Any idea when the expansion is coming to console?

I've come to love the game more on a controller and no mods.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

WaPo has an article about the valve that got stuck during CRS-2 and about how SpaceX takes an approach to problem-solving that NASA wouldn't have. For example,

quote:

In late 2010, on the eve of the Falcon 9’s second launch and the first test flight of the Dragon spacecraft, a last-minute inspection of the rocket revealed a crack in the nozzle, or skirt, of the second-stage engine.

“You’re not going to fly with a crack,” Davis said. “We’re like, ‘What do we do?’ ”

The normal thing would be to take the rocket apart, replace the engine skirt, reinspect it. And then “you’re up and launching in a month,” he said. No one wanted to lose that much time.

Musk had a wild idea: “What if we just cut the skirt? Like, literally cut around it?” That is, what if they trimmed off the bottom as if it were a fingernail?

Which is :jeb: as poo poo, but since they'd built enough margin into the engine's performance for it not to be an issue, it was fine.

Later on in the article:

quote:

[...]when the company was rebuilding launchpad 40 at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, one of SpaceX’s employees spotted a 125,000-gallon liquid nitrogen tank and thought, “Maybe we could use this?”

quote:

[...]the members of the SpaceX team became the scavengers of Cape Canaveral, looking for leftover hardware as if they were on a treasure hunt. Old rail cars from the 1960s that had been used to ferry helium between New Orleans and Cape Canaveral became the new storage tanks. Instead of spending $75,000 on new air-conditioning chillers for the ground equipment building, someone found a deal on eBay for $10,000.
Logical next step:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Hremsfeld posted:

Which is :jeb: as poo poo, but since they'd built enough margin into the engine's performance for it not to be an issue, it was fine.

This is an example of actual, real life, rocket surgery.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rocket triage

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nalesh posted:

Sadly, there's so many small things I wish it had that makes me wish I could code worth poo poo, such as being able to add a previous version mod with a warning, and colour coding previous version mods if you do so.

It already has that feature. Go into the "compatible versions" settings or whatever it's called and you can tell it which previous versions it should let you install mods for.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Is it still possible to get plush Kerbals somewhere? I want to get one as a baby shower gift.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Platonicsolid posted:

Is it still possible to get plush Kerbals somewhere? I want to get one as a baby shower gift.
If you don't find any official stuff, there is a goon that makes custom plushies: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718308

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Waiting for must have mods(like interstellar, USI, and near future) is suffering each patch, can't really start because at least one of them changes the tech tree :v:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
hey look, ANOTHER BUG. IN THE FIRST MISSION I TRIED. I'm landed but the mission trigger... didn't.

Maybe I'm too far? You'd think they would put a mission trigger in for that. A previous one I splashed down farther away and it triggered so I'm all ???

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 18, 2018

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

hey look, ANOTHER BUG. IN THE FIRST MISSION I TRIED. I'm landed but the mission trigger... didn't.

Maybe I'm too far? You'd think they would put a mission trigger in for that. A previous one I splashed down farther away and it triggered so I'm all ???

If that is the thing I ran into... You need to land the satellite first, *then* the vehicle. The mission builder seems quite flexible and good, but the missions the DLC ships with do a piss poor job of showing it off. Moreover, they do a loving *terrible* job of being at all clear about what is expected.

Edit: And if you *did* land the satellite first, then the vehicle - well, another one for the bug list.

I'm in two minds about the DLC. In principle, the idea of flying missions made by fans of the game is good. Like how I eagerly ride custom tracks in Trials Fusion. But the implementation in KSP is half-baked. The comparison with Trials Fusion is pointed. That game has global track sharing, rating, and *downloading* built into the game itself, making sharing and looking for content quite straightforward.

Edit: And the deal with how the DLC missions progress, with respect to saving, and reverting, just gives a bad impression.

magimix fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 18, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Honestly the dlc missions should just be more elaborate contracts that you can grab.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nalesh posted:

Honestly the dlc missions should just be more elaborate contracts that you can grab.

I didn't buy them as I was expecting some sort of problems. Just get it on sale I think. By then it might even be fixed too.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Was checking CKAN for updated 1.4.1 mods and ended up finding something that I cannot believe took this long:

Get DecouplerShroud here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/170781-141-decoupler-shroud/

Otacon fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 21, 2018

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Honestly that feature should have been stock a long time ago. Sometimes you want to use a smaller engine, as un-Kerbal as that might sound.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Luneshot posted:

Honestly that feature should have been stock a long time ago. Sometimes you want to use a smaller engine, as un-Kerbal as that might sound.

Well, it's in the DLC now...

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Speaking of the DLC, anybody else notice there's something really screwed up going on with some of the textures on the new parts? Like I was looking through the art assets trying to figure out why the IVA scenery on the KV pods has so many hosed-up looking sharp dark edges like so:

And what jumps out at me is that the normal map for those materials is absolutely hosed six ways from sunday. It looks like they tried to use DXT5nm compression, but instead of moving the data from the red channel into the alpha channel they just blanked both channels with white and moved the data nowhere. Green channel looks normal, but that's only the vertical offset data. They've made a material where EVERY PIXEL IN THE TEXTURE SPACE reflects light like it's tilted like 45 degrees to the left. Here's a Nvidia thingy for viewing .dds files if anybody else wants to have a look.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Luneshot posted:

BURN THE HERETIC :jeb:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

OniPanda posted:

BURN THE HERETIC :jeb:

WITH SRB EXHAUST

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Sam Hall posted:

And what jumps out at me is that the normal map for those materials is absolutely hosed six ways from sunday. It looks like they tried to use DXT5nm compression, but instead of moving the data from the red channel into the alpha channel they just blanked both channels with white and moved the data nowhere. Green channel looks normal, but that's only the vertical offset data. They've made a material where EVERY PIXEL IN THE TEXTURE SPACE reflects light like it's tilted like 45 degrees to the left. Here's a Nvidia thingy for viewing .dds files if anybody else wants to have a look.

I haven't tested it yet since I'm still on the last version, but there at least used to be a bug where shadows went the wrong direction in IVA. If you rolled to the left, for example, then any shadows that were already pointing mostly to the left would go even more to the left.

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 22, 2018

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Is it possible to get RSS installed on the current version of KSP? I’ve downloaded the mod and textures and have them extracted to the right folders and stuff but no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Anyone else having trouble downloading from the ksp store? It gets a few hundred megs downloaded then just stops.